Magila Motel Backpackers

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Port Moresby

At the Police Station dealing with useless bureacrAt the Police Station dealing with useless bureacr

Me Bloodied and Traumatized Minutes After the AttaMe Bloodied and Traumatized Minutes After the Atta

Craft Markets, BorokoCraft Markets, Boroko

Ela BeachEla Beach

What can/should a cruiser do in PM

by JohnPaulla

Hi,
My wife and I will be at Port Moresby on the 3rd March with the Rhapsody of the Sea (a cruise ship).......question I have is what to do there ? We have almost a day, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. ? Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.

Re: What can/should a cruiser do in PM

by Anne12

Hi there,
A number of years ago when I went on a cruise and we landed at a particular place we decided to hire a local driver with his car, and ask him to show us places of interest, after agreeing on a price.It was a great day, we went to tops of mountains, visited villages etc. We saw it from a locals eyes.

You may find that once you are on the cruise they might offer an optional extra for Port Moresby.I still would consider the hire a local and car:)

Re: What can/should a cruiser do in PM

by kukukuku111

if you are unexperienced traveling in PNG, or more specifically, Port Moresby, it might be a good idea to hire a driver. An absolute must see is the cultural museum (near Parliament which is also worth seeing while there). If you are a friendly, outgoing and confident traveler, I also recommend going to Gordon's market and chewing on a Betel Nut with the locals of Moresby. Just make sure you get back to a safe place before dusk--even the city residents don't go out at night. During the day, the people are fantastically friendly and cheerful. have fun.

Travel Tips for Port Moresby

DON'T GO!

by ReubenLA

On June 7, 2009, I came within 2 inches and 2 minutes of death! While traveling in Pt. Moresby during my transit stay from Madang on the way to Brisbane, I hired a taxi to take me around since I only had about 4 hours. I really wanted to see the Parliament Haus in the center of the city. The taxi driver, who quite possibly was in on the attack, took me to the Parliament grounds. I walked out and started taking pictures. The building itself was closed since it was a Sunday morning. A few minutes later, I was attacked by a mob of about 7-8 people with clubs. They beat me in the head and robbed me of everything I had on me. The taxi driver just stood by and watched the whole incident take place. Coming face to face with death by the savages that run around freely preying on tourists in this most dangerous city. Having had such a great trip in Papua New Guinea's other areas such as Madang and yet facing the destruction of all of my good memories of the place and the loss of all of my belongings while flying home with 5 stitches in my head!

Fairfax Harbour

by Bwana_Brown

Port Moresby was developed because of its very good natural harbour, called Fairfax Harbour. This view was taken over the top of some banana trees from the hillside that leads down into the older part of Port Moresby. Most of the new development was taking place inland and up away from the sea.

At Work

by Bwana_Brown

A view of the Elcom 'Test Branch' office where I worked for the first two years of my contract before being promoted to a new job at Head Office in the Boroko suburb. The task of Test Branch personnel was to travel around the mountains, jungles and islands of Papua New Guinea fixing up whatever transmission or generation problems were plaguing the many small stations scattered all over the country.

This was quite a nice office to work in, and the staff were friendly. Because it was air-conditioned and houses were not, my family and I would sometimes come here on the weekends to escape from some of the really hot days! When I was not in the field, I sat on the left side by the red in/out trays. Shown here from left to right are Moses Aihi and Palom Pital (our office clerks), Mark Fleming (our Australian 'Communications Engineer' for the radio system) and Noel Mohiba (Assistant Comms Eng.). We never had a secretary so my typing speed picked up immensely while working here! I had about a dozen technicians (English, Australian and Kiwis, but mostly Papuans) working for me as they scoured the countryside looking for problems!

Beers in the Shade

by Bwana_Brown

Port Moresby was the most uncomfortable place that I have lived in. This was due to the fact that it is located in the 'rain shadow' of the Owen Stanley mountain range and it also had drought conditions to boot. The average daily temperature was always 90 degF or more and varied between a high of 90 degF and a low of 73 deg F (32 to 23 degC) between the afternoon heat and cooler overnight, combined with high humidity and very little rain. Along with this, regulations against home air-conditioning (due to electric power supply shortages) resulted in us being in a constant state of perspiration. That naturally led to the custom of drinking cold San Miguel beers beneath the shade of our 'stilt' houses! Here, a bunch of families from work are enjoying a Christmas celebration with the beer stubbies insulated from the heat by styrofoam holders!

Malaria pills & sunscreen

by carolerica

This place has malaria, so bring the usual pills, otherwise, you can find some medication at Jhonston's pharmacy in town, they are very professionals. Bring some sun lotion as well, it's hard to find good quality sunscreen with a high exposure.

Comments