Honiara Hotels

• TimAMeyer profile photo TimAMeyer
  • Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

King Solomon Hotel: Live like a king...kinda

I think this has to be the best place to stay at in the Solomons. The staff are efficient and friendly, the rooms were clean and airconned, services were great. I especially liked the laundry services, it was quick. The amount of sweating that goes on in the tropics drenches your clothes. We were able to get back to our rooms and have our clothes quickly cleaned. Several times a week there is a cultural group that performs in the dining room of the resturant. I've seen several.
Room service was also very welcomed and efficient. The menu and food was great, so after a long day in the sun if I didn't want to eat in the resturant I could have the food delivered right to my room.
Has a nice pool, clear telephone, and friendly staff. I've been there at least four times, it's a real nice place to return to if you've been out in the other provinces roughing it.

The layout of the motel is unique, the rooms are in wings that go right up the hillside. A small cable car gets you up the hill. The pool, which is fairly deep, is fed by a "stream" of water and then overflows into a decorative waterfall. Go ahead and bomb dive all you want!
The main reception and resturant looks like a large tribal meeting hall- log poles and thatched roof.
The staff are well trained and friendly- all of them. Everybody from the receptionist to the maids were friendly and polite.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Religious Travel
  • Written March 28, 2008

• Astrawan profile photo Astrawan
  • Reviews: 22

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Honiara Hotel: Best hotel in Solomon Islands

This is about the best hotel one can stay in Honiara, unfortunately, it is very difficult to get a booking and even when you have made one, you have to follow up a week and even a couple of days before you arrive to make sure that they remember you.

Ensure that you book to stay in their 'New Wing', and I cannot stress that enough. If not you are going to end up in some little cupboard behind reception with no windows, no natural lighting and sporadic airconditioning until they decide to 'move' you.

In reality the accommodation is only about 2 to 3 stars, so please do not expect the grand stairway with marble entrance.

However, Honiara hotel has a very nice 25 metre pool which was completed only earlier this year as well as a very nice poolside restaurant with two huge (well they seem unnaturally huge to me) chandeliers dangling from the very high ceiling. The food is not too bad either, but service can take a while (island time??) so take along a good book.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average