Vella Lavella Island Hotels

• minstrel74 profile photo minstrel74
  • Reviews: 68

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Simbilando: village stay

I stayed in the village of Simbilando during my visit to Vella Lavella. It's located on the northeast corner of the island close to the mouth of the Ulo River. The stay was rather informal. In fact, I was the first western tourist ever to stay overnight here, although a few had passed through to visit the thermal area. Arrangements were made with the assistance of the lodge owner where I was staying in Gizo. Although the villagers were keen to see more travelers come by, they were still a little wary and considered my visit a test run. If you do stay here, or wish to request a stay, please respect the residents' hospitality by making yourself a simple guest to entertain. From my perspective, they were far more hospitable than I could have asked for. It was a superb stay and has provided wonderful memories.

This would be a true village stay. There are no real facilities for tourists--just a simple guest house. This is a great way to get a feel for the real lives that people live on Vella Lavella Island.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average