Sunset Bungalows Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

More about Sunset Bungalows Hotel

Can't wait to go back

by TripAdvisor Member sanch_sanfran

wow what a week... me and my mates were so hooked up at sunset bungalows, thanks to Learnna, Jason, Chef Shawn and the team - awesome food, great pool, epic sunsets seen from our every room. really great base to experience the wonders of vanuatu - can't wait to go back - wonderful hospitality - thanks sunset bungalows

Lounging at Sunset

by TripAdvisor Member Spike06

My wife and I stayed at Sunset Bungalows with our two adult sons as part of a family holiday for a week. The boys had a room at one end of the hotel and my wife and I had one of the fantastic bungalows with four post bed and a room where the doors opened up onto the deck sitting over the lagoon. The bungalows are exotic. Waking and sitting on the deck with a morning cup of tea was a delight. I never tired of watching the fish from the deck (and feeding them bread) or watching locals fishing from their canoes. The trip from Sunset Bungalows to Port Vila is an inexpensive 100 Vatu (A$1) on one of the plentiful "buses" (i.e., vans). So although the hotel is out of town and quiet it is still really easy to get to town, other restaurants, beaches or resorts for a visit. Through the day we enjoyed all the activities of the island with snorkeling being one of the highlights. After outings through the day we would return to Sunset Bungalows in the evening and sit with a Tusker beer watching the sunset. A small bat flew back and forth every evening searching for insects (but I could never get a good photo). The whole setting is just so relaxing. If you want to get away from the usual resort and find a quiet getaway then this is the place for you. They have canoes you can take out on the lagoon where you can paddle past the locals who were always friendly and invariably provided a wave and a wide smile from the shore. I saw men diving amongst the mangrove (?) roots to flush out fish into their nets and children swimming and climbing trees. The advantage of this location is that you are out of Port Vila enough that you are not just in a complex of resorts or hotels, but close to where the locals go about their daily lives. The staff at Sunset were very friendly and helpful. We had several very good meals at the hotel that were as good as any we had at other locations. The location was ideal for my wife and I to relax and unwind and provided a perfect base for our holiday. Our sons wanted more of a social/bar scene and spent a bit more time at various bars in Port Vila. Unless you are traveling with a group, Sunset could be a bit quiet for you if you are wanting social or "party" scene. As for me, it was a perfect get away.

Perfect Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member FlossyGoldCoast

My husband and I have just returned from a weeks holiday at Sunset Bungalows. After reviewing numerous Vanuatu resorts, we chose Sunset Bungalows for its location and boutique style. It is ideal for couples wanting to unwind and escape reality and would be equally appealing to anyone wanting to chill out for awhile. The bungalows are large and well furnished and are situated over the lagoon. There are also 8 studio suites which are new, modern and also located on the lagoon. We stayed in both a self contained bungalow and the honeymoon suite and both were delightful. The honeymoon suite boasts an enormous bathroom, spa and a deck that is idyllic for privacy and relaxation. The new manager (John) at Sunset Bungalows and his team are upgrading the pool and garden area and once the new landscaping is complete and established, it will make an enormous difference to the overall ambience of the resort, considering the bungalows all back on to this area. John and all the staff were kind and welcoming and eager to help with any queries or suggestions in relation to tours, island attractions etc. The restaurant offered good food, friendly service and it is also located on the lagoon, so it is peaceful and stunning at sunset. For dining experiences apart from Sunset Bungalows Resort, we would highly recommend Chill which is in Port Vila above the Seabreeze Cafe next to fruit & veg markets (fantastic affordable food) and also Tamana Beach Resort (delicious food in pavilion style restaurant directly on the beach). In summary, our experience at Sunset Bungalows and in Vanuatu was exactly as we envisaged - perfect

The most amazing honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member Liz83Queensland

My husband and I stayed at Sunset Bungalows for 7 nights for our honeymoon. As soon as we arrived at the resort we were quickly greeted with smiling staff who wanted to shake our hands and take our bags for us. We were also given a yummy welcome drink! Staff were
so friendly and helpful, they always had a smile on their face and made sure that you were enjoying your stay. The rooms were beautiful,
furnished nicely and we enjoyed coming back to our room everyday to find fresh flowers! Its not hard to get to the centre of town, we caught buses and often a staff member from the resort would wave one down for us. We visited other resorts in port villa and we feel we made the best decision staying at Sunset, as it is a small resort you
really get to know the staff and you feel comfortable. The service is amazing. We feel in love with Vanuatu and we will definately be back and when we revisit we will be staying at sunset bungalows!

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member vickiNewZealand

Fantastic seven days at Port Vila staying at Sunset Bungalows, cannot say enough about how well I was looked after at Sunset Bungalows, All the staff were very friendly helpful and always Happy. The Acommodation was very very nice, Having a balcony sitting over the lagoon, In the evenings would just sit hav a wine and watch the local fish doing what they do best, chillen. I spent most of my days snorkelling, To my great delight Vanuatu is fantastic for snorkelling. If you do decide to take a holiday in Vana, A must would be Hideaway Island, Its a 4min ferry boat ride from the mainland, Fantastic for snorkelling, white sand beach, tropical trees. Also a must do is (Coongoola day cruise), you really get to see so much on this day trip, And the food, If I wasnt swimming, I was eating. NZ price $70.00 for the day cruise.That included everything cruise, snorkelling equipment,food. Hoilday-Fantastic Accomodation-10/10

Our favourite spot.....

by TripAdvisor Member Jerry100

In April we stayed for a week at Sunset Bungalows, Port vila, Vanuatu (for the 3rd time in the past year because we love it so much!). We had a wonderful time, the resort is very peaceful, stylish, modern and well kept. All rooms are extremely spacious, the beds are great and the private decks off every room are outstanding to watch the most magnificent sunsets. The restaurant food is great, complimenting the resort very well. We will definitely return to our favourite spot in Vanuatu and look forward to having our wedding there next year where we can share this wonderful spot with all our family and friends.

perfect

by TripAdvisor Member debswilma

After spending a long time on- line reading reviews, I finally settled on two resorts in Port Vila ( I have already written my review on the 1st place) Unfortunately we could not stay at either for the whole time...but I'm happy to say that 'Sunset' where we stayed for 8 nights was everything I was hoping for.

When we arrived we were greeted with huge smiles & a welcome drink & then escorted to our room , where our extremely friendly escort spent time running through some information re the resort . My husband & I just looked at each other & smiled because the room with its huge expandable doors were open with the most tranquil sound of water lapping at our balcony ...& such a beautiful view to look at , we could hardly wait to get our books out & sit on the balcony & relax & that is what we did for a lot of our stay. The king size bed was extremely comfortable (the only down side that there was no bed side lamps) we did manage to get one after I asked at reception. The bathroom is a little small & tired looking with poor lighting ,but no big deal..!

The pool area was adequate, half a dozen sun lounges all with comfy mats & a couple of hammocks ( the pool was out of action for a couple of days as it was dirty, which was a shame) . Yes , the resort is directly off a road , so you are only separated by a wall, but this did not bother us at all, the sounds of water at the front of our bungalow was more prevalent than car sounds & the road is hardly what I would call busy ( but we did take earplugs, which we did not need) . The garden was smallish but beautiful maintained & the empty area behind our room was for bocce/ petanque , which a few did play while we were there.

The restaurant & staff were so friendly, everyone smiling & chatting to us. A BIG thank you to the lovely Learnna who always asked "how we were" , "was there anything she could help us with" & always with a smile, even gave us a couple of lifts into town when she was going out. Getting into town is easy just 100 vt & the staff will even go out & stop the bus for you ! The food at the restaurant was lovely but a tad expensive & we where more than happy there was'nt a bar scene , just chill out music & a great view. There are plenty of resorts in Port Vila if you want drinking/party action but for us we wanted a peaceful relaxing holiday & thats exactly what we got at Sunset Bungalows & I can hardly wait to go back.

We did eat out a few times, so I can recommend Houselet (French food) & the owner even drove us back to Sunset...& The Waterfront Bar was lovely , they do have a band & bar action every night ? We had lunch a couple of time at AuPeche Migon on the main street, they have delicious quiches & fresh juices.

Only did a few tours , I would recommend the Port Vila Scenic Tour with Robert , which we found very informative as it takes you around to all the historical sites of PV. The Ekasup Cultural Village Tour was extremely interesting & only lasted for 2.5 hrs. And the big one , which was all day ,The Lelepa Island Tour, fantastic, lots of snorkeling , swimming, resting , eating, bumpy bus trips, boat trips around the beautiful island, meeting islanders, learning facts= well worth it ! We also went to Mele Cascades ( Waterfall) , but save your money don't do a tour , just catch the bus, its only about 10 mins out of town.

So if you want a place to stay that is peaceful, with a tranquil views , you can't go wrong with Sunset Bungalows.

Prepare to be spoilt

by TripAdvisor Member Missy007

My husband and I have just spent our 4th holiday in Vanuatu and would highly recommend Sunset Bungalows. From the minute we arrived (on a 33 deg day!) we were made to feel as if we were personal guests. Nothing was too much trouble for John the manager, and his team. Even to my request for 'real' coffee in our room rather than that dreadful stuff hotels always seem to provide! The dinners were superb and the breakfasts very well presented and a perfect amount for that time of the morning (the continental) Requests for what to do were very well handled and in no time at all we had a trip booked with South Pacific Tours to do a round island trip - again highly recommended. The only little nit picking thing we could find was that the rooms had nowhere except the bed to really stretch out and read for hours, although the loungers by the pool made up for this. The bed was quite firm but extremely comfortable and in that heat, a king size is must! The grounds are very tidy and well maintained and the pool area is actually surprisingly quiet and peaceful considering it is on a main road. One of our lasting memories will be the reflection of the early sunrise over the lagoon - sitting on the deck (with our 'real" coffee!) and watching a local fisherman quietly catching his family's meal for the day. If only our lives were that simple and peaceful!

Not quite what we thought it would be!!

by TripAdvisor Member LittleChiefDownUnder

We have just returned from a 10 day stay at Sunset Bungalow. We chose Sunset after looking at the website & had in mind that it was a little out of town so it would be quite and a great place to relax. What the website doesn’t show is the proximity to the road and a busy, fast road at that. We were woken every morning before 7am with heavy trucks going by. The pool isalso next to the road, separated by the red boundary wall.

The food was very hit & miss depending on the chef. Breakfasts were good but the dinners weren’t! The prawn curry had 4 prawns and about a dozen heads & tails – not nice to pick through! The Vanuatu beef fillet was a tough, scrappy piece and with mains priced at 20 – 24 Vatu (approx Aus $22 - $28) it wasn’t great value compared to the quality we found in town. The restaurant lacked atmosphere, playing chill out music from dawn to dusk but with no encouragement for people to go to the bar/happy hour the place was often deserted. There is no where really to sit and have a drink apart from at a dining table and it was a case of have your meal and then go back to your room.

It just seemed that attention to detail was missing – possibly because the owners of Sunset have also just bought Chantilly on the bay!! Some of the lounges had cushions others didn’t, chairs in the restaurant were broken and the areas outside the bungalows, which on the website looked like nice areas to sit & relax, weren’t – see photos!

The lagoon is beautiful to look out on to, another guests told us that they thought they’d be able to swim in it, which you can’t/wouldn’t – it’s very milky.

The staff were very friendly and I would have to single Annie out as being fantastic. The owners were not often about (think we only saw Jason once) so it was left to other staff and without an obvious hierarchy there were some doing all the work & others sitting around

I enjoyed Vanuatu but would not go back to sunset bungalows, it was not worth the money – I would probably go to Iririki Island Resort, a 2 minute free ferry ride from town, but as it is an island it is quiet & peaceful – great pools too.

Relaxing Stay

by TripAdvisor Member ozkiwis

We stayed for 3 nights over Christmas.
We were taken to our room, but found it unusual not to be given any sort of orientation (we had to go and ask where the kayaks were, etc).
The Room:
The room was lovely, great bed and fantastic position over the water.
One major thing we noticed was how close the other fare's are when you sit on your deck (ie touching!), and you are only seperated from your neighbours by a fine bamboo screen. Warning: You can see and hear everything on the decks next to you!
Some better cushions on the wooden furniture would have been good, as they got abit hard after a while.
The Facilities:
The pool area is nice, but watch out for the crabs in the pool! They get in and can't get out (each day). There is a net to scoop them out if you don't want to swim with them. There are sun loungers by the pool, but no-one seemed to use them, the deck of the fare's are nicer to sit on.
I would definately recommend taking the kayaks out on the lagoon - head across the other side and follow the shore-line, its really lovely.
Am not sure what other facilities are available, but this is the sort of place you come to sit back, relax and spend time with your partner, so for us it was perfect.
Staff:
We really only encountered staff at meal times. Our room was always well cleaned while we had breakfast. Good and friendly service but on our last morning at breakfast we felt we were "buttered up" before being asked if we would like to tip the staff "it is best to give it straight to us, not the managers"....
Not a great way to end the stay..
Food:
Ate here for our entire stay. Very good food, but disappointed at the lack of seafood. The restaurant setting over the water is really nice, especially at night.

Has anyone stayed at Sunset Bungalows

by treenie

I'm looking for a mid- to upper range accom and want to know peoples recommendations. I'm looking at Sunset Bungalows - any suggestions or advice would be helpful

Comments