Bokissa Eco Island

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data
  • The risk of choosing Bokissa

My partner and I planned 2 weeks on Vanuatu from 29 June to 13 July. We had booked 2 resorts, the 2nd being Bokissa Island Resort. We had prepaid both.

On 29 June we boarded the flight from New Caledonia to Port Vila in Vanuatu. The weather was extremely bad and got worse during the flight. The pilot made 3 attempts to land at Port Vila, but was unable to. He decided to return to NC whilst he still had enough fuel.

The airline provided temporary accommodation. Airline staff told us that the forecast was poor for the next few days. We were given an option to try to get to Port Vila again in a day or so, but we couldn’t take a chance on the same thing happening again, or of getting stuck on Vanuatu.

We phoned both resorts on the morning of Sat 30 June.

At the first resort we had paid for accommodation only. They refunded 75% of our prepaid costs.

Bokissa Island Resort’s deal was accommodation and all meals prepaid with other items included, e.g. airport transfers. Their phone was answered by somebody who took a message. I had given them 6 days notice of our cancellation. I then chased them for 11 days before I finally got this email:

“We did receive your telephone call ,but our cancellation terms are 14 days prior to arrival.

We suggest you make a claim on the air line concerned and or your travel insurance.”

Which airlines do you know that offer to cover consequential loss?

I had paid them over $3,300 for our meals, airport transfers, etc and they refused to refund anything. We even paid for the 3 meals a day we didn’t eat!

Before you book with Bokissa Island Resort, bear in mind that this could happen to you. It’s a relatively remote place and you could be prevented from getting there by the weather, for example. When you pre-pay the full cost of a holiday, they have nothing to lose if you don't make it.

There are plenty of excellent places to stay in Vanuatu, and you don’t have to put yourself at the mercy of Bokissa Island Resort!

Oh, and by the way, their credit card surcharge is 4 % (yes, 4%).

Comments