Tanna Hotels

Our Members Say

• cherylles profile photo cherylles

Tanna Island Dream Bungalow: Tanna Dreams

My husband and I spent a week in early April with the Yata family in their new bungalow complex at Sanaie Village overlooking Port Resolution . The beds are comfortable with good quality linen and mozzie nets, the hot showers are most welcome and it's great to have a spotless septic toilet and a varied diet of delicious food served in a dining room with great views all around. Our transport to and from the airport and volcano was organised efficiently and we thoroughly enjoyed immersing ourselves in the many local activities that are on offer in the area. Highly recommended. Further details are available on the Vanuatu Tourism website.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Jungle and Rain Forest, Budget Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written June 23, 2010

• tcm1963 profile photo tcm1963

Tanna Tree Top Lodge: World's best balcony view of an active volcano

My wife and I stayed three nights in September and can highly recommend. The food was fresh and tasty, the portions huge. The cabins are clean and cosy but handmade and quite rustic, so don't expect 5 star and the stairs up the tree are steep. I would describe it as eco-camping up a tree. The hosts were very friendly and hospitable.

We had a great time. The view from the tree-houses is incredible. The higher cabin has a small balcony with a picture window view of the volcano which is only about 2km away. Both cabins have a view. It's an amazing sight and sound, a bit like distant thunder. At night we could see molten lava bombs flying into the air. We walked up the volcano one afternoon (about an hour, but that is another story). One evening was fogged out but that’s why we allowed three night near Yasur.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Photography, Adventure Travel
  • Written October 16, 2009

Giant banyan 2km from the volcano

• monegask profile photo monegask

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

banyan paradise treehouse: banyan paradise treehouse on Tanna island

Be aware of this place, I'm not the only one who have been robbed by the owner of the gusthouse, at least 6 other people too on the same week!

First of all Fred George, the owner of the guesthouse (paradise treehouse bengalows, the name is changing but it's the same) is a F…. thief an obviously one of the best liar in the world. We trusted him and after five days in his guesthouse he decided to steal us…we were supposed to be friends….
It’s the only time in Vanuatu that we saw that!
We spent 5 nights there. We agreed on the price before arriving at the guesthouse (2 weeks before). The “housetree” is ok with a nice view of the volcano and quite near from the volcano too but we had every night 2 “visitors”….2 big rats, that can happen everywhere (the only time in Vanuatu) but it’s not a very nice visit, they were trying to steal us our food and making a hell of a noise!
The family is nice, his wife is nice and the children too but them father is a burglar.
So at the end of our stay, he raised the price of everything and after 20 minutes of negotiation, the prices were as planned except the return truck and the visit to the big banyan tree. He said that we will be alone in the truck and see the banyan tree and really insisted to be paid for that but he knew all along that we wouldn’t see the banyan tree and we will be 6 Europeans in the truck (6000Vatu more). When I saw that in the morning I asked him for a refund, he said yes, we stopped at a market and ran away….We phoned him when we arrived at Vila and when he heard our voice he just hang up!
The big deal isn’t the 6000 vatu, but the thing that we were 5 days in his guesthouse, he was friendly and at the end trying to steal us, it’s just not possible.
Run away from this place, there are plenty other guesthouse less expensive and very nice near this one!

Jean louis from Paris

• Related to: National/State Park, Jungle and Rain Forest, Backpacking
  • Written August 31, 2009

• cjgodden profile photo cjgodden
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Paradsie View Bungalows: a little jem!

Very recommended for the more adventurous travelers- those who like to get to know the locals and have an authentic cultural experience. The staff are simply lovely- extremely attentive and friendly. For example, on arrival we were presented with flower necklaces and coconut drinks, and dinner was accompanied by the local boys' string band!! The bungalows are in beautiful spot where there is a fantastic view of the volcano- at night the lava is lit up! And i defiantly recommend you give the volcano a visit- it was fantastic. accommodation is basic but very clean and new, consisting of locally made bungalows with no flush toilets, but i think it makes the experience more genuine. There is also a restaurant, and the locals can catch lobster for your dinner!!

the official website is: http://www.vanuatutourism.com/vanuatu/export/sites/VTO/en/operators/paradiseview.html however, the phone number on the website (678) 68096 was recently disconnected, it should be back soon, but call the village Lounasunan on (678) 68075 ask for Jeremiah, the manager, in regards to the bungalows, and the villages will know what you mean.

you might also be able make contact via the South Pacific Tourism organization website, which is at:

just be sure to arrange your stay at least a few days prior to arriving so airport pick up can be arranged.

This bungalow is owned and run entirely by local people, rather than ex-pats so the money directly benefits the villages. Also, most of the Islands attractions are located on the eastern side of Tanna, where 'Paradise View' is, and petrol is extremely expensive, so it is in a good spot. The bungalows are located right next to owner's village- people are so friendly and happy to show you their traditional way of life. many tours can be arranged including a walk to the nearby hot springs! they are very reasonably priced and cheaper than many other places that charge extra for the guide. also there is a special offer: stay 3 nights, 4th night free!!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Jungle and Rain Forest
  • Written March 26, 2008

a villager weaving

• aami80 profile photo aami80
  • Reviews: 17

Tanna Evergreen Bungalows: Real Island experience

Staying at the Tanna Evergreen Bungalows was one of the best experiences of our Vanuatu trip, but stragely also one of the worst. I think our problem was that we stayed too long on Tanna and were missing things like air-conditioning (it was SO HOT) and snacks that weren't Twisties (there is not a lot available on the island). But we got to do so many amazing things because of the wonderful people who run this place. We were invited to the hotel's christmas party, as were all the children from the village down the road so we got to spend an evening eating their party food and dancing around with them (and they wouldn't have dreamed of charging us for the food!), we also were invited to a wedding by the owners of the hotel and taken all the way over to the other side of the island to attend, and we were even invited to eat from the bridal party's table, we got to eat in the open air restaurant where the unbelievably friendly staff took care of us and we got to go to the village concert with the hotel owners. If you're an intrepid traveller I would definitely recommend that you stay here, but take some snacks that don't need to be refrigerated, and only stay for a couple of nights as it gets VERY HOT! We were wearing wet T-shirts and hats to cool ourselves down.

Amazing views, the friendliest staff ever, fabulous random island experiences, cute little bungalows... but watch out because there are a lot of spiders here (but apparently there aren't any poisonous ones on Tanna so you're not supposed to worry about it... they keep the mosquitos away!)

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Beaches, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written April 30, 2005

Tanna Evergreen Bungalows

• aami80 profile photo aami80
  • Reviews: 17

Whitegrass Ocean Resort: Absolute Paradise

Staying at Whitegrass was absolutely amazing. We were there over Christmas and my boyfriend’s birthday and I don’t think that our stay could have possibly been much better. The bungalows are beautiful and have fabulous views out over a tropical garden to the ocean. There are hammocks in the garden to lay in, and also wooden chairs scattered around the place. There is no air-conditioning which meant that things could get a bit hot, but it was worth it for the peace and quiet. The other guests were very friendly, but did not intrude upon our private time at all. The food is not what you would call gourmet, but compared to what is available elsewhere on the island is it far above par and we found it delicious. You can walk down onto the coral and across to swimming holes out on the reef at low tide, or snorkel just about anywhere at high tide, although we were so wrapped up in our little slice of island paradise that I’m afraid we only bothered to go swimming once. This place was even beautiful when it was raining, there was a spectacular lightning storm one night, which we got to watch siting out on the restaurant patio while eating a dinner of freshly caught lobster and champagne. It was also a great place to spend Christmas, with a huge buffet lunch (Who has lobster for Christmas? They do!), and a great place for my boyfriend’s birthday (They organised a surprise breakfast on our bungalow’s front patio, and were going to arrange a dinner out on a coral point although unfortunately it rained so we ate at the restaurant instead. They even baked a special coconut birthday cake!). If you’re going to Tanna, I would definitely recommend staying here as we absolutely loved it. Keep in mind that there is really not a lot available on the island, so if you think you're going to want to snack I would recommend taking things with you. Also, it can be difficult to make phone calls and there is no television etc.

Great views, great for special occasions as they will help you to plan a surprise, tours to the live volcano, other great tours, but most of all just great to relax, unwind and do absolutely nothing.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Luxury Travel, Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 30, 2005

Whitegrass Ocean Resort

• minstrel74 profile photo minstrel74
  • Reviews: 68

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Port Resolution Nipikinamu Yacht Club: Large thatch bungalows overlooking Port Resolution

These bungalows provide no electricity or running water, but such amenities would be conspicuously out of place anyway. This was an amazing place to stay and I would highly recommend it to anyone with a sense of adventure who can tolerate a little bit of dirt on their clothes. Then again, if you'd made it this far, you probably already fall into that category. Facilities are basic but eminently sufficient. If you're a luxury traveler this will be an adventurous stay. If you're a backpacker this IS luxury. The bungalow I stayed in was equipped with a large bed, a mosquito net, a thermos of potable water, and little sink with a mirror. There's no electricity, but I was provided with a kerosene lamp. A pit toilet was located near the bungalows. At the time of my stay, both breakfast and dinner were included in the price of accomodation. Additionally, I was given a solar shower bag that could be filled up at the communal tap and hung on any of the property's many large trees. The staff will also take you down to the water to swim with the resident dugong for no additional charge. They did this for me and a couple other people as well.

I should point out that during my entire visit, I was the only guest here. That was October, and the atmosphere and offerings may be very different during peak season, but even if it were full this would most likely be a wonderful place to stay.

The main attraction for the Nipikinamu is its location overlooking Port Resolution. The bungalows are situated at the edge of the cliffs overlooking the bay, and this makes for an extraordinary view when you groggily emerge from your bungalow in the morning after a night of volcano-climbing and kava-drinking. The featured image on my Tanna Island home page features the view from the front entrance of my particular bungalow. No zoom was used. See what I mean? It's incredible.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Beaches, Sailing and Boating, Budget Travel
  • Written October 9, 2004

my bungalow at Port Resolution Yacht Club

• minstrel74 profile photo minstrel74
  • Reviews: 68

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tanna Ocean View Guest House: convenient, comfortable place to stay in Lenakel

All I needed was a decent place to stay in Lenakel after arriving on Tanna Island. This guesthouse had everything you might need and was very peaceful. There's a kitchen, shower and laundry facilities, and best of all, everything is neat and tidy. By far one of the nicest guesthouses I stayed at while in Vanuatu. Not much to do in the neighborhood, but then again I was here primarily because of the lodge's proximity to the airport.

Very clean and well-kept. It's nice to be on the water, but during my visit the wind was quite strong and I spent most of my time indoors to escape it. The value of this place comes down to its convenience. Be aware that it has been some years since I've visited, so the facilities may have been upgraded (or neglected) or the guesthouse renamed since then.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 9, 2004

White Grass Ocean Resort: Attention to detail

The White Grass Ocean Resort only has 12 bungalows on their property. Everything about the bungalows represented quality and comfort.

All of their bungalows had ocean views......and my absolute most favorite amenity? HOT SHOWERS!

It's one of the very few hotels/guest houses on the island with its own individual gas hot water system.

We were warned that Tanna Island is notorious for mosquitos, but during the time of year we visited, the mozzies weren't so bad. They provide coils to burn at night and these lovely mozzie nets!

For such a small size, the resort surely was packed with lots of activities.

They had a little golf course, badminton nets, petanque, croquet, and snorkeling was just steps away.

They also conveniently provide island excursions for their guests.

• Written September 9, 2004
Tip Photo

Who knew dodging mozzies could be so romantic!

White Grass Ocean Resort: The ULTIMATE Reading Lounge

My favorite part of the resort was this exquisite outdoor lounge area set atop a hill that was overlooking the ocean.

The sounds of the roaring waves, the smell of the salt air, and the added sweet touch of Mother Nature's colors of the rainbow made for a memorable afternoon for us to just, "Take a moment."

The hospitality at this resort was just amazing. We were given a warm welcome by the owner, John, an Aussie transplant who said he visited Tanna and knew immediately this was a place he could see himself settle down in.

The White Grass Resort is one of the top places to stay on the island. There is not much around the area, but that's the beauty of it.

You really don't need to go anywhere else. (Actually, you really can't!)

• Written September 7, 2004

Sights and Sounds of Nature

White Grass Ocean Resort: Somewhere Under the Rainbow

I was never much into reading Romance novels. However, I'll have to admit, upon arriving onto the grounds of the White Grass Ocean Resort, the sweeping majestic views overlooking the Pacific Ocean from the thatched roof bungalows made me feel like a heroine straight out of a Danielle Steele novel!

I thought for sure a Fabio look-alike was going to descend from the steps of the resort's reception area and serve me up a cool, tropical drink while wearing nothing but an exotic sarong wrapped around his burning loins.......

Okay, back to reality......

The place was magnificent! We couldn't have asked for a more pristine location!

• Written September 7, 2004
Tip Photo

The Warm Welcome (sans Fabio)

White Grass Ocean Resort: White Grass Resort

The White Grass bungalows are all very cute...each one has different artwork and is a bit different in style. The views from the bunaglows are fantastic too!!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 14, 2004

White Grass Bungalows

White Grass Ocean Resort: White Grass Ocean Resort

The bungalows at White Grass Ocean Resort are fairly basic but nice all the same. They have hot water (during the generator hours of 6 am to 10 pm) and a toilet as well as a double bed and two single beds in the bungalows. They also supply mosquito nets above the beds.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 14, 2004

White Grass Room

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

White Grass Ocean Resort: Resort...

We stayed at the White Grass Ocean Resort for 2 nights. The bungalows are very basic but cute all the same. The doors do not lock but you don't need them to out in the middle of no-where like that. ;) The power is supplied by generators so it stays on from 6 am to about 10 pm...

A fantastic view from your room - you can lay on the bed and watch the ocean... :)

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Family Travel, Beaches