Barnes Bay, PO Box 8028, West End, AI-2640, Caribbean
Expedia.com amextravel.com Orbitz.com

More about Viceroy Anguilla

An Outstanding Viceroy Anguilla Experience

by TripAdvisor Member AnguillaVisitor

This is our second visit to the Viceroy Anguilla and our 11th trip to Anguilla over the past 10 years. We love Anguilla and we have come to love the Viceroy.

First a few words about Anguilla. Anguilla is an extraordinarily beautiful Caribbean island and the people are genuine. There are numerous world class beaches all over the island, all of which are public. Some of the beaches are more or less served by one resort, others are served by a variety of hotels and restaurants, and still others are remote and romantic. The Anguillan people are friendly, sincere, hard working, family oriented, religious, and appreciative of visitors to the island. There are so many extraordinary restaurants that we could not enjoy all of them if we visited a different every night of our two week vacation. There are lots of other activities as well: horseback riding, hiking, bird watching, scuba, snorkeling, fishing, golf, tennis, bicycling, easy day trips to St. Barts and St. Marteen where there is world class shopping and people watching, plus adventures to remote local islands such as Sandy Island, Prickly Pear, Dog Island, and Scrub Island. There is some nightlife – local bands and musicians, reggae and dancing. The island is family oriented as well as romantic. The sunsets are as beautiful as anywhere in the world.

There are a few world class resorts on Anguilla, and clearly the Viceroy is one of them. Let me describe the Viceroy from our perspective. Imagine that you had virtually an unlimited budget to build a world class luxury hotel/resort, what would you design? Viceroy has it all: spacious rooms with exquisite design, modern amenities ranging from flat screen TVs and sound systems, free wireless internet, to spacious master suites and baths, hot tubs and whirlpools, dipping pools – all brand new. Our particular unit has a beautiful state of the art kitchen fully equipped with all the appliances you could imagine including an expresso maker and a blender.

The common areas of the resort are also world class. The main lobby is gorgeous (photo attached). The Sunset Lounge (photos included) is an extraordinary location for lunch or afternoon drinks watching the sunset (photo attached). There are three restaurants: Half Shell (right on the beach, sushi and other cold menu options for lunch, plus a full bar), Coba (a more formal restaurant for dinner with an exquisite menu, right next to the Sunset Lounge and a beautiful view of the ocean), and Alita (a more casual venue open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, right next to the pool). We have eaten at each of these restaurants – and the food ranges from perfectly fine (Alita) to exceptional (Half Shell and Coba). While the service has been a little slow, you have to remember that this is the Caribbean and you are on vacation. And, it’s not like you can go across the street to other restaurants on the island (most of which we have experienced) and get significantly faster service. In all cases, the service has been with a smile and a sincere effort to do the best they can. Of course, for the ultimate in relaxation and laziness, there is always room service which we have relied upon for many meals. We have found it a bit slow, but always tasty, just like the restaurants. And they will deliver it to you in your room or at the beach or pool.

There are several beach options and each have their unique features. The main beach is to the right of the main resort buildings, adjacent to the main pool. The water sports center is located here, and there are lots of beach lounge chairs. The other option is in front of the Half Shell where the beach is narrower and there are fewer lounge chairs. However, it is quieter and feels more like a real Caribbean getaway. Of course, there are also three pool areas, each with a different design, surrounded by lounge chairs (one even has cabanas that can be rented by the day). We have enjoyed the day at all of them. In fact wherever we have settled, there has always been someone coming around asking if we would like anything, drinks, food, etc.

There are significant other amenities: luxurious spa, complete state of the art work out facilities including instructors for classes and private lessons, tennis courts with dedicated pro, trendy boutique. We are told there are conference facilities as well but since we are on vacation we have not really focused on this. The grounds are spectacularly landscaped and there is a jogging trail on the resort.

Everywhere we go on the resort, the staff greets us by name (part training, part nature of the Anguillan people). Nearly all of them we have met for the first time on this trip. Yet, they learned our names within a few days. They ask us how our visit is going and is there anything else they can do for us. The concierge at the resort planned our entire trip: restaurant reservations, day trips, air travel, stocking with groceries prior to arrival, care of bags shipped in advance and waiting in our room when we arrived.

There is also a lot of infrastructure that most people don’t notice or pay attention to but are important attributes that contribute to the Viceroy experience. Viceroy has its own desalination water plant which provides clean and drinkable water to each unit. Viceroy has a back-up generator for the entire resort which provides electricity in the event that the island service is interrupted.

Have there been a few hiccups? Of course. Two days ago there was a severe rain storm (the first we have seen in our 10 years of annual trips to the island over the Christmas/New Year period) and there was an electricity outage for several hours, which was probably shorter than a similar storm at home in the States would have caused. We have heard that there were some other minor problems in other units due to the flooding associated with the storm. The Teen program has been a little slow getting started (hopefully tomorrow). However, ALL of the people that we have met during our trip so far have been raving about the resort, notwithstanding the minor inconveniences associated with a new resort getting up and running. And, we are seeing a lot of guests from other resorts on the island checking out the Viceroy. I expect that many of them will be here next year.

We have heard from some of the staff (off the record and on a confidential basis) that there are a few guests that just simply can’t be satisfied, that are abusive to the staff, and that are creating an aura of negativity for the other guests.

In contrast, our entire family has had an outstanding experience at the Viceroy so far this holiday period. And, we look forward to returning again next year.

The Viceroy Anguilla is Hands Down the Nicest Resort in the Caribbean!

by TripAdvisor Member MorrisBL

Our family just got back from a 9 day vacation at The Viceroy Anguilla. We had a wonderful time. The Viceroy is by far the nicest resort in the Caribbean! The attention to detail at the resort is spectacular and the staff could not be more accommodating.

The rooms and Villas are breathtaking. The Viceroy has a wonderful fitness center, Spa, pilates room and spinning room. In addition, they have kids clubs for both younger children as well as a teenagers. Our children absolutely loved it.

The food is also great, there are five wonderful restaurants on site to choose from.
We ate at four of them and enjoyed what each one had to offer.

All in all we had a fantastic trip and cannot wait to go back! We will be making this an annual trip for our family, since we promised the kids.

We were there for the torrential rain storm, the Island had not seen rain like this for over ten years and the staff did everything in their power to help people deal with what mother nature had to offer.

Wow!

by TripAdvisor Member rebekah04

We've been going to Cap Juluca during Christmas or New Years for years but decided to try the newest hotel on the island. Definitely glad we did. Viceroy Anguilla blows the other hotels in the Caribbean out of the water. Granted, they are newly open and still working out service kinks but the property itself is stunning, the design is fantastic, and the staff are attentive and friendly, especially the villa butlers who catered to our daily activities. We stayed in a beach villa that was nicer, more luxurious, and bigger than our own home.

On Christmas day, there was a huge storm that flooded much of the property. Definitely put a damper in our plans because we were hoping to spend our last day at the hotel on the beach, but the staff went above and beyond in taking care of everyone and making due with what was handed to us. Don't get me wrong, it was a horrible day, but we were impressed by the staff.

Realistically, I'd say wait a few more weeks to let them iron out all the kinks, but by mid January this place will be perfect. My family is going back for the holidays next year.

TOP NOTCH RESORT!

by TripAdvisor Member socal2

My wife and I visited Anguilla for the first time and decided to stay at the Viceroy for our Honeymoon back in August...I will say that the Villas are truly amazing and the resort will be just as good when complete, from what I have seen! This resort has all the makings to be the #1 place to visit in the caribbean! My wife and I are looking forward to going back next year to see the completion and experience what we believe will be a resort that will blow away any other 5 star resort! Some extra advantages of the Viceroy: The Viceroy beach was our favorite beach on the entire island...we rented a car and visited a number of recommended beaches on island...but if you like extra soft sand to sink into and great beach service, then no need to leave the Viceroy Beach! We love live music by the pool or sand, and that is what we are hoping to experience when we return....since the soft opening did not have that available. Anyways, I have been telling everyone about this place, because I know that it is truly one of a kind and will not let anyone down in expectations or satisfaction, especially when fully complete!

Anguish in Anguilla

by TripAdvisor Member bssny

The only thing "hot" about this alleged "hottest new place in the carribean" is the raw sewage that may back up into your "luxury villa". I am a prisoner at the property as I write this review and warn anyone considering this place to STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE. As much as the staff wants to be helpful, they are not at all trained to service any clientelle, let alone one with high expectations. Food takes literally HOURS to be delivered as you stare into oblivion at one of several restaurants that are poorly staffed. Ironically, the food is excellent once it is delivered but, the ridiculous wait makes one unable to appreciate it. There is absolutely no service anywhere. To add insult to injury, our villa is fludded with water due to a leaky roof and the manger thinks "it is fine given that other guests had to be moved due to sewage backup during the power outage". That's right; they intentionally turned off the power for 4 hours today "to avoid bigger electrical problems due to the rain". I guess septic issues are considered small problems at this resort. The GM will look you straight in the eye and lie to you about what he will/can do to fix anything. You can't say you weren't warned; STAY AWAY!

Amazing vacation!!

by TripAdvisor Member NYCtraveler1972

I will start by saying that I went with a group of friends that are all very well traveled so our standards are high, yet realistic. When traveling with a group you tend to have varied expectations of relaxing so some of us wanted to stay in while some of us wanted to go out and check out the nightlife.......none of us were disappointed with the options at the Viceroy. We were close to town, bars, restaurants, beaches, etc. and with the exception of lack of watersports there was a lot for us to do. If you're into renting jetskis, wavrunners or parasailing, etc. the hotel does not offer that. Not sure if they will in the future but they're a newly opened hotel and they don't currently have those activities as of yet. However, we did rent a catamaran which the hotel was more than happy to arrange and take us over to - which was about a 15-20 min drive. That trip turned out to be one of the highlights of our vacation. As for our accommodations, our room was unbelievably beautiful and was tended to by an excellent staff of butlers and maid service attention. We stayed in a 4 bedroom villa, which was the perfect amount of space for our group of 7 people. None of us felt at any time that we did not have adequate privacy. The views were beyond amazing and all details of upscale hotel needs were met - including two outdoor showers. The pictures on the website are true to form. In response to the other posts, obviously I can not speak for any other guests experiences but I do know that there was last minute construction going on at the hotel (which did not effect us). The hotel was upfront and very honest about the extent of the work being done at the property with us beforehand and unfortunately unexpected events do occur during these times that are out of the hotels hands. I agree this is a major inconvenience but the key is how management handles the situation to appease the guest and in meeting the general manager and senior staff I find it very hard to imagine that they would not do everything possible to assist a guest that was unhappy. I can't speak for other peoples treatment, but every aspect of our personal needs was met and the staff was BEYOND helpful and kind. People must remember that when visiting an island you need to conform a bit to island life so things run a bit slower than we, as New Yorkers, are used to. That's also part of the charm of the islands. However, I will say that although the staff is polite and kind, they do need to address the turn around time on food orders. While we adjusted to the long wait times I'm sure it would be a bit more difficult to have hungry children waiting very long. This is just something to take into consideration on the short term as I do believe that this is simply a training issue and when the hotel is fully functional and the wait staff has been properly integrated that this issue will be fully resolved. Overall, I COMPLETELY enjoyed our trip and would not only recommend it to my family and friends (actually, I've already done that) but I will definitely be going back there again myself.

Disappointing.....

by TripAdvisor Member sdwgns

I will just sort of list my points about this hotel......
-architectually it truly looks like a shopping mall
-corridors of hard surfaces, unnattractive steps leading to confined areas
-not enough open space....just looking into room after room
-the first swimming pool with the infinity edge attached to the open air bar/lounge is quite stylish and has an impact.......also, quite a nice view....however, beach visible from this view is quite small (narrrow)....the water is rough and does not have the beautiful clear blue water the caribbean is known for.....
-does not feel like enough space around main swimming pool....too many chairs....too many levels.....not attractive to look at......leads to a small beach area that is not usable.... too rough......barely any sand and not sunny......restaurant at this pool is a non-event visually......
-swimming pool closer to Mead's Bay (the largest beach) is ok....it just seems like the hotel structure surrounding the pool is overwhelming the swimming pool........the beach has the same rough water as described previously.......the chaise on the beach are extremely close together as the beach is shared as there is not a lot of space......the beach is shared with much lesser properties that are just yards away.......
-visually what saves the hotel is the neutral color of the decoration.....but otherwise it is just over designed....feels tight and doesn't allow itself or its guest to breathe.....

Absolutely Stunning!

by TripAdvisor Member Jackietree

I have been frequenting the island of Anguilla for the past 6 years after I discovered its charm after spending many years visiting St. Maarten and St. Barths. Over the years I have stayed at what many claim to be the "5 star" resorts; Cap Juluca, CuisinArt, and even the Malliouhana. While staying at these resorts and enjoying the magnificent beaches the island offers, I've heard a lot about the new Viceroy resort that was scheduled to debut this year.

By taking advantage of one of the Viceroy attractive introductory packages, I was able to secure a reservation in a one-bedroom suite during their opening week this December. From the second I arrived, I was greeted by the friendly (and well trained) staff. At check-in, the bell boy took my bags and the front desk person made me feel as if they had been expecting me all day. When I was escorted to my beautiful suite, I came to find that all of my personal items, as well as my fiance's clothes were neatly unpacked and hanging in the closet. It was nice a nice touch, along with the fresh fruit and two chilled towels to wipe our faces down with.

The room has wonderful views of both the swimming pool and the ocean. I could hardly believe it, but every room including my one-bedroom had it own plunge pool (more like a jacuzzi without all the jets). We spent every evening on the terrace in the pool with a glass of wine.

The food at both the Sunset lounge bar and the main restaurant was spectacular. The ambiance and setting are by far the best on the island if not the entire Caribbean. The only thing that I must mention is that the price of the drinks and the food seemed to be pretty high, even on an expensive island like Anguilla.

Although we spent 5 nights at this truly "5 Star" property, there was still ongoing construction on the beach towards Meads Bay. We were made fully aware of this when we booked (which may explain the awesome rate we got), but it doesn't look like the entire resort will complete until next summer sometime. Fortunately we didn't see too many construction workers walking the property while we were laying out in the sun.

Overall, Viceroy is the finest resort I've stayed in to date in Anguilla, possibly the Caribbean. The attention to detail, combined with the friendly staff and high level of service, make me want to book again for next year!

Great Find in the Caribbean - Viceroy in Anguilla

by TripAdvisor Member meetingadvice

If your travels bring you south to the Anguilla area, you must visit the newly opened Viceroy property. Absolutely beautiful hotel with spectacular views from every perspective.

The accommodations were fantastic and the staff very attentive. You must visit the villas if looking for privacy combined with luxury accommodations.

What a great time we had in Anguilla! A special thanks to the ENTIRE team at Viceroy!

Viceroy was Spectacular

by TripAdvisor Member twomills

We just returned from a three day stay at the viceroy. Having read some of the reviews we weren't sure what to expect. But once we walked into the front lobby, it was impossible not to be hit with the wow factor. The Viceroy is spectacular. It is right out of an architectural magazine with amazing attention to detail. Once you walk past the lobby you are drawn towards the ocean. The bar overlooking the ocean on a cliff is the nicest I have seen in the caribbean. The infiniti pool next to the bar is also breathtaking and overlooks the ocean below and a perfect place to watch the sunset. The main restaurant, Coba, is also stunning, overlooking the ocean in a setting that is spectacular.

We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite, which when we entered made us both saw "wow" in appreciation. The living room was spacious with a plasma TV, the bedroom with views of the ocean, and a sleek bathroom with large tub, glass shower and separate bathroom. The balcony extended the whole length and included a large plunge pool. It was tough to leave the room! We had left our laptop at home, so the Viceroy gave us one complimentary to use the in-room wifi during our stay

As for the grounds there are two beaches on each side of the main area(lobby/bar) which is centrally located on a cliff. There is some construction going on so the "main" beach was reached via a 2 minute minivan drive. They have full service on the beach with all water sports, food and beverage service. We took advantage of the spa as well, and found the food offerings as breakfast and lunch to be excellent. Dinner at the beautiful setting in Coba was equally as good if not better than any other upscale restaurant in anguilla.

Overall, they are still working out some kinks in their system, and when we were there they seemed to be at half capacity(which I believe is on purpose so they can straighten out certain early glitches they had in december). But ,when the Viceroy is up and running at full capacity it is easy to see why this will be the destination in anguilla.

Comments