4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Galley Bay Hotel

Above the Aqua Blue Sea

by nyceagle1633 about Chez Pascal

Set in the hillside on the western side of Antigua, Galley Bay Hill.

Breath-taking views of the Caribbean Sea and Tropical Gardens sets the tone of this beautiful estate. Located at Galley Bay Antigua near to 5 major hotels (Galley Bay, Hawksbill, Grand Royal Antigua, Coconut Beach Resort and Pillar Rock), and only 2 minutes walk from Galley Bay (which is incredibly beautiful beach). Chez Pascal offers fine French Cuisine, 4 Deluxe Master Suites and professional service.

Lyon native Chef Pascal Milliat and his wife Florence (whom were extremely nice to me), famous for their exquisite French cuisine and gracious hospitality. cute clean pool with beautiful view of surrounding hills, where goats and horses roam and scenic vista of the blue carribbean sea

Adults only resort

by LisaMJ about Galley Bay

Galley Bay is an adults only, all inclusive resort.

If you are so inclined, you wouldn't have to leave the hotel for your entire stay.

We stayed in a premium suite, which had a terrace leading directly onto the sand. The bathroom had his and hers showers, two sinks, and a double bath. There was a sunken living area with wetbar too. Not plush by any means. In fact the whole resort has rustic charm rather than plush marble etc.

Here is a picture taken from inside the room, of my husband posing on the beach.

The food is a la carte, waiter service. So no queuing up for buffets all the time, and feeling that you are eating the same thing every night!

On Wednesdays only however, is beach bbq night, where you order your steak, fish, chicken, rib etc, and help yourself to the array of dishes avaialable. They also have a hog roast that night too.

Drinks were all top brands, no limits on what you could and couldn't have.

I must be honest and say this was our first all inclusive holiday and will probably be our last. It reaffirmed that we like to walk into the village and find little restauarants ourselves, rather than being restricted to one place. The atmosphere was lovely.

Absolutely classless (as in nobody is better than anyone else).

An indulgent escape

by Rachael71 about Galley Bay

This is a wonderful hotel, perfect for a stress-free break. It was my first experience of an all-inclusive resort, and it has given other AI hotels a LOT to live up to!

There are three types of room: the Gaugin cottage, which consists of two little thatched rooms (one bedroom, one bathroom) with an inter-connecting corridor. There are sea-front cottages, where you literally step out of your front door and on to the sand. We stayed in a beachfront room, which was spacious, extremely clean and had a lovely balcony on which to relax with a drink in the evenings as the sun came down. All rooms are comfortable and have air-conditioning and safes.

The hotel is set in the grounds of a nature reserve, so it is pleasant to stroll around. The area used to be a sugar plantation, and there is a ruined windmill on the site. There are sporting activities such as tennis and table tennis, and you can use the hotel's bicycles if you want to travel a bit further (although they looked a little ramshackle to us!)

There is a beautiful swimming pool with a manmade waterfall - if you don't fancy swimming you can just sit in the cool water with a cocktail from the pool bar. The beach is stunning, but we didn't see many fish so snorkellers may have to travel outside the resort for a better experience.

There are two restaurants and the menu changes every night. The food was excellent at every meal (breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner - not a good place to stay if you are on a diet!)

There is a beauty spa at the hotel, but we didn't use it so I can't say what it was like. Excellent and friendly service - Mike, the maitre d', called every guest by their names the whole time we were there, like Mr Memory. The pool and the beach are beautiful, and we became very fond of the wonderful rum punch that the hotel makes. The hotel does not allow children under the age of 16 (I think there is an exception to this over the Christmas break.)

Antigua/Galley Bay

by LisaMJ

Swimwear must be covered for breakfast and lunch. At dinner, no swimwear, and collared short/polo shirts for men, long trousers, for ladies, generally smart casual, no Bermuda type shorts.

I must say that my wardrobe was smart casual, but there were a couple of occasions at dinner when I wished I had maybe brought some more dressy shoes with me (as opposed to flats).

Other than that, light clothing, linens etc because it's hot! On days when we had the odd rainshower, it still wasn't cold. Most things available in Antigua, and a surprsingly small but well stocked shop at Galley Bay.

As usual though, it's usually cheaper to bring from home.

Brilliant

Went to Galley Bay for our Honeymoon on 30th June 04 for 2 weeks. Galley Bay is a beautiful resort and we had a fantastic time. We stayed in a premium beach front suite which is well worth paying the extra money for. We can't fault anything about Galley Bay and it really was the perfect honeymoon destination.

The food in the Seagrape restaurant was fantastic and we ate there most nights. The waiters and waitresses were friendly and polite and always made sure your wine/champagne glass was topped up. We ate in the Garguin Resturant twice while we were there, you have to make your reservation pretty early in the morning (around 7am) otherwise the tables are all booked. The Garguin restuarant is not a la carte like the Seagrape but has a set menu every night. The food though is still excellent and the tables are all secluded and face the sea. It really is a romantic setting.

There is nothing I would change about Galley Bay and my husband and I will be returning as soon as we can save up the pennies again.

We hope anyone reading this that has booked Galley Bay as their holiday destination has a great time and enjoys Antigua and all it has to offer.

Fantastic place to get married

We visisted Galley bay for a week in April (17th - 24th) and loved it. We had arranged to get married there and were a little nervous about what it would be like, but it was ideal. They only have one wedding a day, and you can choose to get married wherever you like. The staff were very help and made the day very special.
The hotel itself is very good, with a beautiful beach, great staff and a sea which is very lively. The food in the main restaurant is a little variable, with their best meals being when they kept it simple, but it really was a lovely place to be, which I would recommend to others.
In fact for the second part of our holiday we went on to the sister resort of Palm Island (in the Grenadines). This is sold as a much more beautiful and exclusive resort, but I can assure you that Galley Bay won on both accounts.

best holiday ever

Our holiday at Galley Bay was last September, I could not have wished for better location. We had a free room upgrade which was fab. The food was excellent and so were all the staff. We had our wedding here and everyone was so nice we were made to feel really special. We will definately return very soon I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a romantic setting with excellent service and food

Perfect Honeymoon Destination

by TripAdvisor Member JasmineChester

We visited Galley Bay for our Honeymoon between 23rd June and 6th July. We arrived to a rum punch in the reception and our bags were taken to our upgraded room, one of the deluxe beachfront rooms. A quick shower in the enormous bathroom and we were off to look around the hotel and grounds which are absolutely beautiful and well looked after.
One of the best things about Galley Bay is the food and the restaurants. The breakfast and lunch menus stay the same but with so many extras and 'chef's specials' you are hard pressed to eat the same thing twice. Breakfast was a mountain of fresh fruit and criossants with a large choice of breakfast items from the kitchen - you could have eggs any way you wanted them.
The evening menu changes every night and it was hard to make a choice from all the delicious things available. I am not a fish eater but found myself eating Mako Shark and Marlin.
We took a few of the trips out; a complimentary catamaran to Bird Island for snorkelling; the 'tripple destination' cruise to Green Island and Nelson's Dockyard and then up to Shirley Heights for a steel drum band and sunset drinks and a longer trip to the neighbouring island of Barbuda which was lovely but unfortunately suffered from the smell of the mangrove swamps.
We could not complain about the hotel at all. The beach was beautiful, the water fine for swimming and snorkelling and the sound of the waves at night did not keep us awake at all, contrary to some reviews wer have read.
The entertainment at night was fine, ranging from solo singer to steel band and was something for everyone without being obtrusive.
All in all, a perfect destination for a Honeymoon, a place to relax, unwind and enjoy a beautiful hotel and surroundings.
Special mention to the Wadadli Cats cruises for three fabulous days out.
Also a big mention to Natashia who remembered our names from the first day we got there!
If you are looking for a paradise honeymoon or holiday, look no further thatn Galley Bay - you will NOT be disappointed.

Number one honeymoon EVER

My new husband and I returned from Galley Bay April 14th - We went as a honeymoon couple for 8 days and we just loved every last second. The resort was exactly as advertised and we really couldn't imagine going any where else. Let me begin by saying I am a very laid back person and bride and did not get caught up too much in the panning of events ..... until the honeymoon needed to be planned. I wanted to find the perfect place and spent two full weeks researching over the internet - I am talking days and nights!! Antigua was the last island I researched among 15 others and I did so because I came across Galley Bay. The service - a 10 - Mike and Kenny and Sadi and the Kerriannes made you feel like you were the only couple at the reosrt. We felt pampered from the moment we stepped on the resort. We took our complimentary catermaran cruise to snorkel, not the best snorkeling but very fun with all the rum punches:) On the boat, we met many other couples from Sandles and they all wanted to know the name of the beautiful Galley Bay when we passed it on the boat - the all admired the beautiful beach and cyrstal blue waters. When we returned, a bottle of chilling champagne awaited our arrival and we watched the BEAUTIFUL sunset each night over a bottle of champagne:) Couldn't be any more romantic. We simple loved the pool, and the beach - the water was rough at times, but we were able to swim each day - we even got to watch some pretty heavy duty surfing. The two restaurants were just wonderful - the sea grape which the menu changed each night, never let us down, and if they did, guess what, they would bring you want ever you wanted - the Gaugian, which consists of 8 individually tiki huts and very romantic served wonderful food as well. No complaints from us. We loved our deluxe beachfront rooms - they were spacious and very clean - the bathrooms were great and the crashing of the waves took us one night to get use to - other than that, it was the best sleep both of us have gotten in years. The only complaint I had the whole trip was the spa - if you are expecting a nice pedicure or a soothing massage on the beach - the resort lacks in this area. I was so relaxed by the whole experienc at Galley Bay that I did not need a massage - but just be aware. The age group was older - we were in our late twenties and only one other couple our age was there with us. This didn't bother us, for we were there to honeymoon.

After the oodles of research I did, we were so happy that we decided on Galley Bay - I would recommend it to anyhone that is looking for relaxed, simple, inclusive, and very beautiful. I really don't know if a more beautiful place exists??

Enjoy and we will definately be back!!!

Antigua & Barbuda

by LisaMJ

Well, it does claim to have 365 beaches - one for every day of the year.

The few that we saw were beautfiul. Our favourite beaches were to be found on Barbuda, which is a must for a day trip.

We stayed at Galley Bay (an all inclusive adults only hotel) whoch was great - very rustic and charming.

The island itself was the most developed I have visited (as far as the facilties go).

Don't miss out on Shirley Heights on Sunday - a real laugh, dancing, music, barbecued food, and a view to die for.

Re-MOO-ving CowsRe-MOO-ving Cows

Jolly Harbour Marina, AntiguaJolly Harbour Marina, Antigua

fashion-posterfashion-poster

map-antiguamap-antigua

Antigua in September

by Alanna1122

Anyone been? What was your experience like... what hotels would you recommend.. we want to really relax, nice big pool, lots of frosty drinks and we want to be right on the beach... what do you suggest?

by MichelleJ

You can try Anchorage Inn Antigua visit their website : www.qualityci.com

by Rachael71

We stayed at Galley Bay in September 2002 and loved it. The beach is beautiful. The pool was big enough for us, and had a gorgeous waterfall running into it. The food, drink and general service was terrific. Their website is at: http://www.eliteislandresorts.com/site/resorts.asp?resortID=10&islandID=1

by LisaMJ

I second Galley Bay. Although it's not been my favourite hotel in the Caribbean, I'd say it's one of the better hotels on Antigua - unless you want to start spending alot more..... then look at Carlisle Bay, Jumby Bay.

Galley Bay is a rustic retreat - don't expect plush marble lobbys and rooms, it's much more of a natural surroundings resort.

In all honesty, Galley Bay confirmed to us that we aren't a huge fan of all inclusives, and by that I mean we prefer to find little local restaurants ourselves. BUT, as far as all inclusives go, it is excellent........... all meals a la carte, top shelf drinks, fanastic cocktails. The pool isn't all that big, but it has a waterfall with seating under it, so it's quite novel.

For something a bit cheaper, consider Cocobay, and small romantic hotel on fantastic beach. It also has an infinity pool.

DIAN BAY RESORT

by skuse

WE ARE THINKING OF GOING TO THE DIAN BAY RESORT IN ANTIGUA IN JUNE 07
HAS ANY ONE STAYED THERE
WE STAYED AT THE REX HALCYON COVE ABOUT FIVE YEARS AGO AND IT WAS REALLY VERY GOOD
BUT WE HAVE BEEN TOLD IT HAS GONE DOWN HILL.
OR ANY OTHER HOTELS YOU COULD SAY WERE GOOD
THANKS ALL

RE: DIAN BAY RESORT

by Galesjam

Although I have not actually stayed there I have had a wonder around the hotel and from what I saw it looked very nice and peaceful. There is a little information and some photos from the following link:

I have heard that the Rex resorts have gone downhill a little, but this has only been from a small number of people. Some other hotels that are nice are:

Long Bay Hotel - http://www.longbayhotel.com/
Blue Waters - http://www.bluewaters.net/
Grand Pineapple Beach - http://www.allegroantigua.com/
Hawksbill Beach Resort - http://www.rexresorts.com/_caribbean/_antigua/_hawksbill_beach/index.html
Galley Bay Resort - http://www.antigua-resorts.com/site/resorts.asp?resortID=10&islandID=1

Antigua - restuarants

by q8ian

Are there any "don't miss" restuarants in Antigua? Going there in two weeks and would like if possible to experience some "posh" ones and also if possible somewhere local - with plastic tablecloths and brilliant food. Is there sucha place?

RE: Antigua - restuarants

by Galesjam

There are quite a lot of descent restaurants in Antigua. Most of them are at various resorts, but they are open to the public as well.

'The Home Restaurant' is a nice local place with some very good home cooked food. Also 'Bay House' at the Trade Winds Hotel is quite nice to. I've also heard that there are a couple of restaurants at Carlisle Bay Hotel that are very nice.

As for local restaurants with plastic tablecloths and brilliant food, well there should be a few of them around, but they are found by the side of the main roads mostly, I can't think of any names though. They would probably be around St John's, English Harbour and near to Old Road (past Darkwood Beach).

There a small list of places to eat here: www.stay-in-antigua.com (if this link doesn't work then try www.galesjam.co.uk/stayinantigua/placestoeat.php)

RE: Antigua - restuarants

by Dougy

g8ian,
When I was in Antigua I really liked the Beach restaurant check out http://www.bigbanana-antigua.com/beach.html its not posh and its not local, not sure how to describe it. I really enjoyed the food and its location is great right on the beach with some of the tables on the beach.

Doug

RE: RE: Antigua - restuarants

by LisaMJ

I'm not sure if it's still there, but Chez Pascal is good, close to Galley Bay.

There is also Sheer, which although this is in a hotel (Cocobay resort), it's meant to be a very nice experience. All the tables are on individual pavillions so it's lovely and private.

Not sure on the local restaurants as we went all inclusive.

Hth

Lisa

RE: RE: Antigua - restuarants

by q8ian

Thanks all - I'm making a list!!

We're going all inclusive too (Sunsail - brilliant deal if its all its cracked up to be) but I have no intention of sticking round just because its paid for - life's too short!

Comments