Mamora Bay, Saint Paul, Caribbean

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about St. James's Club

secluded/heaven

by cynders about St James Club

This hotels has to be one of the best on the island. All the staff were really friendly and helpful. You could book all your watersports and other excursions from the reception with the really helpful rep. Take a day trip to Barbuda on the catamaran, you will not be disappointed, we also went to see the volcano at Monserrat in a helicopter which was amazing. There is so much you can do on this island.
One place you must visit whilst you're there is Shirley Heights on a Sunday evening, brilliant atmosphere - (especially when the rum punch starts flowing!!!).
Take a trip to St John's if you're into diamonds and jewellery. The annual carnival was on whilst we were visiting last July and everyone was very high spirited - all in all a very unique and special holiday - one we will hopefully repeat in the near future.

The departure from the airport is something else though, we had to queue for over an hour and a half so that customs could manually check each and every suitcase (so pack carefully when you leave), the departure lounge isn't much either, there are only a few small gift shops, and one cafe that made drinks, pizzas and sandwiches which closed at 10pm, so be prepared and take plenty of food and water with you. There are no screens for you to check your flight no either, we had a two hour delay and no one told us what was going on.
On saying all that it hasn't put us off going again. - The island of Antigua is outstanding. We went all inclusive, but unlike many other hotels we've stayed at, the restaurants were waiter service and not buffet style - the food was amazing.
Hotel was spotless throughout the holiday, with a full ice bucket placed in your room every day.
The aircon was fantastic (we had to turn it off sometimes as it got too chilly!!).
There were clean towels every day - plus beach towels and bath robes. The swimming pools were fantastic.
There's no need to walk anywhere as you can simply phone the porters and they will collect you and take you anywhere in the complex in a golf buggy.

The hotel has it's own private beach and jetty where all the watersports are available.

Have to go on a personal jeep...

by Bondy

Have to go on a personal jeep tour through the island. My sister got married there on the beach at our resort and it was the best. We had 12 people with us and we stayed at the St. James Club it was a great party!!!

Delightful winter break

by TripAdvisor Member Leila's Nana

We have just returned from five days at the St. James Club, Antigua and could not have been more pleased. We had not stayed at an all-inclusive before so I was a little dubious but the resort more than measured up to our expectations. The food in all the restaurants was excellent, much better than I had expected and the service was outstanding. The entire staff was pleasant and extremely helpful. The view from our ocean-front room was gorgeous and the choice of two very different beaches and several pools was an added plus. The other guests we met were delightful and everyone seemed to be having a grand time. We will definitely return to Antigua and the St. James Club.

Fantastic holiday !!

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the St James's Club. We travelled with our six year old daughter and enjoyed the most fantastic holiday.

We find it very difficult to pick any major faults with the place. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The food and service in all the restaurants were way above our expectations and the whole resort had a very relaxing atmosphere.

We spent lazy days on the beach doing a whole lot of not very much!!
However, for the energetic, Mamora Bay is excellent for sailing, water-skiing etc.

For us, St James's Club was perfect - the island and the people are beautiful and we will be booking for next year very, very soon.....

For all those people who did not enjoy St James's Club - did you try the Rum Punch? Perhaps next time you could smile and be civil to the staff - relax, you're on holiday.....

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member NDW_Wimbledon

My wife and I went to St James Club for a week in mid-November. We were favourably impressed with the hotel although some of decor in the rooms is getting a little tired. Our room was in the Hibiscus block and had a lovely view over the beach facing the Atlantic. The whole hotel site is well laid out and it is a great advantage to have two quite separate beaches, the one with the watersports in a very relaxed sort of lagoon, whereas the beach on the Atlantic side always had a good refreshing breeze. Service from the staff was on the whole very good with only a few lapses. The food was good; we preferred the Docksider and Piccolo Mondo restaurants in the evening. In the evening, the food in the Rainbow was not inspiring and the ambience was a bit dingy; fine for breakfast though. We hired a car for three days and saw most of the island. St James Club is, in our view, positioned in one of the nicest spots in the island, as long as you don't want lots of vibrant night-life, because if you do you should go some place else! A must is to see Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Heights, which is only a few miles away from the hotel. In summary a delightful hotel for a quiet, get away from it all holiday.

Great Holiday

We have just returned from a wonderful holiday at The St. James Club resort on Mamora Bay, not the one that the other writer wrote about on Morgan Bay! The hotel is very nice, food excellent, especially at the Italian restaurant - Picollo Mondo - service very attentive and staff well-trained. Buffet restaurant - Rainbow Garden is very good if you like buffets - good for breakfast and lunch. The other restaurant open for dinner - Docksider, was very good also. Coco restaurant is the only poor part of the whole resort. Two great beaches here, to suit all people, seaweed is raked daily on the ocean side beach. Would definitely recommend this resort to anyone and would love to return if return to Antigua.

Saintly Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Dan_Judy77

We just returned from a six night stay at the St. James Club and our overall impression is very good. The food was perhaps the best we have experienced at any of the all-inclusives we've visited (Peter Island, Royal Hideaway, Jalousie Hilton, etc.). The service was attentive and friendly. The staff invited me to join in a cricket match(a first); wait staff taught us some of the local slang; the manager came over to us on the beach to apologize for some noise created by beach construction. All this and a great side trip with Wadadli Cats, esp.
captain, One Love, led to a wonderful getaway! We stayed in a beachfront room with a terrific view, we had only paid for a club room.
The room was rather drab- white walls and a few pictures. The bath was sparce - standalone sink and toilet, large bathtub. The gardens were beautiful. So many foliage colors created the impression of flowers without the blooms. The beach wasn't the prettiest - water not the striking aqua of the Yucatan, sand grey and pebble strewn. If you're looking for a holiday with most good and a few average amenities this is the place.

Simply A Wonderful Holiday

Myself and my wife just came back from two weeks at the St James's Club and I have to say that all the negative comments posted on this site were unfounded. Having read all the reviews we went with an open mind to try to enjoy whatever we found. The hotel is a three/four star by UK standards, which was very well maintained with a large pool and two beaches to chose from. All the staff were very friendly and nothing seemed to be a problem, you have to bear in mind that it is the Caribbean and that everything is relaxed and at a slower pace than what you would expect in the UK or US. Generally we found if you treated the staff with respect they responded. In fact we did witness some guests being rude to some members of staff which was completely baseless and over petty issues. They therefore deserve the service they got. The four restaurants were excellent we had no issues whatsoever with the quality of the food, the chef in the Rainbow Garden would prepare almost anything for you if you asked. However you must go on an all-inclusive package, as the restaurant prices are very high if you are on a room only basis. The nightly entertainment was on the average side, but if you want clubbing and live acts every night then you would not book this venue. The casino was a small Vegas style with the usual slots, blackjack and roulette etc. The hotel shop was over priced i.e. $5.00 for a bottle of water but you could get UK/US newspapers, cigarettes and small gifts. I would recommend taking the hotel's shopping bus that goes to St John's every day for $14.00 each. There you can find lots of gift shops and a small mall to cover all your tourist needs. Our apartment was a villa overlooking the sea, which was very clean with US cable TV and an excellent air con system. The room's telephones are expensive, the best advice is to either bring your cell/mobile or buy a phone card from the shop for $16. The maid came every day and was very good at providing towels etc. Overall I would absolutely recommend the St James's Club, it has all you would need for a relaxing Caribbean beach holiday. Bear in mind it is remote being 35 minutes from the airport and the capital St John's, but if you want to spend a no-hassle-relaxing holiday then book it today.

A Great Family Resort!

My family just returned from an incredible holiday in Antigua. We were
there from Dec. 19 until Jan. 3rd. Between our family and my sisters
family we had 4 children aged 6 months to 5 years. This resort
surpassed our expectations. If you have children and are looking for a
Carribean holiday then this is the place for you! The Kids Club was
open daily from 9 am until 10 pm and the kids couldn't get there quick
enough after breakfast. The staff were loving and friendly and were
great with the kids. The resort was full to capacity when we were
there, however you never felt like it was crowded. The beach always had
plenty of chairs, as well as the poolside. The staff were extremely
friendly and they met our needs without any problems. One of the child
has serious food allergies and the kitchen staff prepared her a special
meal every day. We also celebrated our mothers 60th birthday and they
ordered a cake for us and sang to her! The food was FANTASTIC,
especially at Piccolo Mondo.
It is important for travellers to remember that when in the Caribbean everything is relaxed, easy going and happens at a slower pace than North America or Europe. The staff were beautiful and made you feel very welcome. Our only complaint was watching ignorant guests treating the staff poorly with no class and disrespect, and therefore they got treated the same way, rightfully so. We plan to return to St. James Club in 2 years time.

Oh ya, if you don't like kids ... don't go here!

Willikies

by Airpunk

Willikies is a name that will remain in my memory for years. It’s the name of a place in the east of Antigua where tourists usually drive through to see a wonder or nature called Devil’s Bridge. My way to Devil’s bridge was not the usual one. I was hiking along the roads of Antigua and somehow I missed the right point to turn left to the north (See also: General Tips/Free Map). There I was now at a place called St. James’ Club, a private property and a dead end at the same time. I asked a guard, if I really was at the point I believed to be now. Unfortunately, he confirmed it and asking me about my way, I told him that I was going to Devil’s Bridge. His view changed and he almost began laughing at me, telling me that I was 10 miles away from Devil’s bridge. This was either wrong or the bloody free map had again a wrong scale. Anyway, that friendly chap almost ruined my day (well, it was me who got lost, but who cares?), but an employee from that hotel heard our conversation. Her name was Sandra and she told me to ask Tony, if he could give me a ride to a place closer to Devil’s Bridge. As it was the most logical option at this point, I did so. Tony was a young guy who drobve a shuttle for some hotel employees living in villages in the eastern part of the country. I went through a part of Antigua which is not on most tourist maps. Arriving somewhere at a main street in the north, a lady on the bus told me, that I should get out here and take a bus bringing me to a point close to Devil’s bridge. I did so and just after a copuple of minutes, the bus arrived. It all went so fast that I just had time to say thank you and continue my trip. The bus driver dropped me out at the right point and after walking along a road, I finally arrived at this point called Devil’s Bridge.
So, why I am talking about a place called Willikies. Well, that was because I had the second friendly encounter with locals on the same day. People returning from Devil’s Bridge usually have a taxi, a rental car or at least an idea where to get a bus. I had none of them – I even didn’t know excatly how I got there. The bus dropped me on a main road and there were also some bus stops. Unfortunatelly, none of them was onm the right direction and my attempt to stop two buses on the road was not successful. After I finally found a bus stop, some kids told me that that bus wasn’t running anymore at that time of the day. I had to get the bus at the village: Willikies. Walking along the road, with no idea where to find the bus stop and the skies getting darker and darker, I saw a family sitting on the veranda with two of their kids playing in the garden. As I approached them to ask for the way, the younger of the two , probably three years old, welcomed me with kisses on my hand and later some kicks on my shin (strange combination…). I asked his mother how to get to the bus staition and immideately she asked her older son (around 8 years old), to show me the way to the bus stop. On the way to the bus, the boy told me that they were from Ghana, but living in Antigua a couple fo years now. He asked me about how life in Germany is and how I like it in Antigua. As we arrived at the bus stop, there was also a bus coming. A simple “thank you” is not enough to express my gratefulness for this boy and his family. These people from a village called Willikies gave me an example of authentic friendlyness that money can’t buy.

View from balcony at St James Club, AntiguaView from balcony at St James Club, Antigua

Jolly Beach, AntiguaJolly Beach, Antigua

Antiguan sunsetAntiguan sunset

view-halfmoonbay-antiguaview-halfmoonbay-antigua

The Beach Club

by Brucie2

I'm thinking of going to Antigua in February 2005.

The hotel I'll be staying at will be The Beach Club on Coco Beach.

Has anyone been?

If so, could you let me know what's it's like, e.g. it's location, facilities, beach, food etc.

Also, I could possibly do a week in Antigua and a week in St Lucia. any info onSt Lucia would be great.

I Look forward to hearing from you!

Re: The Beach Club

by kingconquerer

I am a Peace Corps volunteer here in Anitgua and was in St. Lucia for a month before I came here.

I live maybe 20 minutes or less from Coco Beach. It's in the Bolans village. That is headed to the southern part of the island. It's near a mjor resort (www.jollybeachresort.com). It's more of an upscale type hotel. I believe it's pretty expensive also. It's by 3 nice beaches (even though I never go. I am tired of the beach).

I've been all over St. Lucia and like the Castries (Northen part) best. There are some nice hotels (Sandals for ex) by Pigeon point.

Email me at kingconquerer@virtualtourist.com if you want more details. Ask me and I will try and answer...

Re: The Beach Club

by ILOVETHEWI

Hi Brucie2, I've just joined so I'm a bit drippy with this forum at the moment. The hotel you mention, the Beach Club is the same name as the one we stayed at but it was the Beach Club at St. James, is this the same one? If it is let me know and I'll post a report. You mentioned a week on St. Lucia and a week on Antigua, my perfect holiday. I would definitley recommend this, the islands are a perfect complement to each other. Antigua has the stunning beaches while St. Lucia has the magnificent interior with lush rainforests and the unmissable pitons. If you want more detailed info let me know.

Re: Re: The Beach Club

by Brucie2

The hotels I'm thinking of booking are The Beach Club, on Coco Beach in Antigua and St James Club, Morgan Bay in St Lucia.

Cold you also let me know if February is a good time of year to go?

Comments