3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 31% less but rated 26% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort

Royal Antiguan

by tweetycaro

We really enjoyed our stay, it was our first visit to the West Indies.
Rooms were very spacious, restaurants were great, breakfast amazing (a lot of fresh fruit). We didn't use the pool, the beach was only 2minutes away.

royal antiguan

by TripAdvisor Member romanx7204

I stayed at the royal Antiguan from 7/24 thru 8/2 and it was okay for $60.00 per night. I knew someone so I was upgraded to a better room (small frig in room)and that made the stay more enjoyable although the mountain view isn't bad if you don't spent too much time in your room.I ordered a roast beef sandwich from Andes (beach restaurant) which I returned because the 2 skimpy pieces of beef looked like day old meat. I asked the waitress to please take it back and bring me a sandwich which I could eat. My father simply threw his out. This is about as much as I ate there b/c the food was terrible and over priced. I believe breakfast set you back $15 plus 18% for tax and tip. If if were buffet style, I would have ordered but no way was I going to pay for something that should have been no more that $7.00. I guess if you have a huge appetite then you should go for the all inclusive. Good luck with the food.The resort is very remote so there isn't such a thing as taking a stroll to the local store. Be prepared to spend $12 on a cab to St. John's which takes about 5 minutes to get to. A local bus ride includes walking about 1/2 mile, up and over a little hill (actually good excercise) and then pray the bus is there or wait 35 minutes like I did. I didn't mind this one time because I like to see how the locals live on a daily basis. My cousins husband is from Antigua and he was there so I basically had a ride every place I wanted to.Yesterday there was a pretty bad car accident , leaving the driver of one vehicle pinned. I got out to help (I'm a NYC firefighter) and the medics didn't want to take my advise on how to stabilize a patient. Meanwhile the locals were using everything from a 2x4 to hammer and a chisel to get this poor guy out. The vehicle was rocking back and forth and thank God the driver didn't have a neck or back injury or else he would either be dead or paralized. The fire department took 45 minutes to show up and when I asked if they had a hurst tool (Jaws of life) , they looked at me like I was crazy once again. I would like to say that although they didn't know what they were doing, the locals were trying their best to free this poor guy. ADVISE.........be careful on those roads and if the driver is going too fast for you, ask him to slow down.God forbid you get hurt over there.To sum it up, It was a good vacation, the hotel is not too bad if you don't care about leaving the resort ,the beaches are beautiful and the locals are friendly. If you don't know someone, touring the island will be very expensive.

Good value and unpretentious!

by Flem2002 about Grand Royal Antiguan Resort

The Grand Royal Antiguan resort has a fancy name, but it's a down to earth place with generous all inclusive options (certainly for the British holiday maker, but some guests paid for meals and drinks).

The staff were lively and friendly, and the resort has enough on offer - watersports on the beach, a lovely pool with swim up bar, a kid's small pool, 3 nice restaurants on site (one posh a la carte, one "over the water" a la carte specialising in seafood and a buffet restaurant).

The resort is close to St Johns for trips out, and the hotel offer a variety of entertainment, such as nature walks and live music. There is an old fort on the cliff top along the end of the Royal Antiguan's private beach and the hotel runs guided walks up there a few times a week. My leg muscles didn't forgive me for days after climbing the steep paths up there though!

This is also the only hotel on the island built over two storeys high, but it's also withstood every hurricane so far!

Super holiday at the Royal Antiguan

My 18 and 21 year old sons together with my wife and I spent 11 nights at the Royal Antiguan and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We departed from London Gatwick on the 23rd of August with an open mind despite the reviews we read on your page. We went "all inclusive" and would recommend this package as food and drinks are very expensive not only at the hotel but on the island generally (most of the food and goods are imported). Our package included a bay view room.

Beaches were perfect.

Staff were excellent and spoilt us ( as with life - there were a few who were indifferent but that did not spoil it for us)

To summarise, the following points to bear in mind:

MINUS POINTS: 1. The hotel is in need of repairs all over (skirting boards in the rooms breaking off.) 2. Patio doors leading to balcony not shuting properly 3. Beach water sports staff rude 4. 1 of the beach bar staff rude - all others okay

PLUS POINTS 1. Lagoon restaurant (Buffet) excellent varied menus every day, including Chinese, Italian, International, Bar-B-Q etc. A variety of meats always - fish, beef, chicken, pork, variety of salads. Good ambience in the evening (candlelight in the middle of a tropical garden). Breakfasts also very good - eggs cooked to your choice - omelettes, scrambled, sunny side up, poached etc. fruits in season, cereals, local oats, spinach, variety of fish corned beef hash toast, bagels, cakes etc.
2. Andes restaurant - waiter/waiteress served limited menu but good - partly on stilts on the sea and beach. (they will ask you how you want your steaks done - but will be well done in any case).
3. Barringtons restaurant nice ambience with a guitarist who comes by your table to sing. well presented meals.
4. We hardly queued for long - sometimes in the bars. Eustace the manager of the lagoon was excellent in organising staff and the patrons. Heather (deputy manager) was lovely.
5. Large rooms - we had no switch cover in the bathroom light - notified hotel guest services and this was replaced immediately.
6. Towels washed everyday. We required some on one of the days they had taken ours and received these within 10 minutes.
7. Excellent jerk chicken and beef burgers on the beach grill.
8. Large and impressive entrance lobby with seats and armchairs together with fountains water features and gardens with palms.

HELPFUL HINTS

1. To go into St. Johns - the main town- walk to the tennis courts then turn right onto the dirt road up a hill, down again to a blue bus shelter. Mini busses come frequently ( every 5 minutes or so ) and charge $1 or EC$2 into town 2. With such beautiful beaches - we did not use the swimming pool at all.
3. Tony a salesman on the beach sold us a catamaran cruise which was excellent (Treasure Island cruise to Cades reef) 4. 4x4 Estate safari Off road with a historical perspective of the island was also very good.

ALL IN ALL A SUPER BREAK

All Inclusive or Budget?

by 2byrd about Royal Antiguan

This is an older facility with beatiful grounds and beach. It offers some exploring and hiking adventure. For a great time on the water look up the Kozy Kat Catamarran we went with a guy named Freddie. We spent 2 days touring the island by water. Stopping to snorkel and see the sights.
We didn't book the all inclusive package so we found a grocery store and took advantage of the refrigerator in our room. For less than the price of one person on all inclusive we were still able to eat well and save a lot of money to spend elsewhere. The pools were beautiful but we preferred the beach.
I won this vacation through Sky Auction. Paid $33 per day. Thank goodness our room had a refrigerator!

Boring and Unpleasant

My daughter and I along with a friend stayed at the Royal Antiguan from August 9th-August 16th 2003. To say the least, we were all extremely disappointed with the hotel itself for several reasons. First and foremost was the poor condition of the hotel itself, it needs serious renovations. Also if you are not prepared to spend exorbitant amounts of money on food and drinks, I would strongly recommend choosing an all-inclusive package. The hotel is quite isolated from anything that there is to do in Antigua, which isn't much. The beach area is quite nice and the pool is nice as well. The hospitatlity of the staff for the most part was very poor. We encountered a few staff members who were cordial, however I must admit, we all felt extremely unwelcome and were treated very poorly by a majority of the staff. The prices are ridiculous in many of the places around Antigua, so be prepared to spend alot of money. The advertisements for the Royal Antiguan claim that children are welcome, and they are, however there isn't much for them to do. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. It is a government owned hotel, need I say anymore.

Get What You Pay For -

We stayed at the Royal Antiguan August 7th through August 13th, 2003. Tis not a great place probably was when it was new. However, the rates for the rooms are lower than most area resorts. Pricing philosophy seems to be since you are isolated at the resort, charge highly for food, drinks, etc. and they do a good job of that! Best offense is to bring food and booze, partake of the free morning coffee and afternoon tea. Room service food was a bit less expensive than restaurant food. Beer is about $3 US for 8 oz. Bring beer if you like it!Driving is crazy on the island. Intended to rent a car but decided not to try it. Taxis are expensive. It cost $24 US round trip to the nearest grocery store about 4 miles from resort. Was told local taxis are not allowed on the Royal Antiguan grounds. Another gotcha.About half the staff is surly. Housekeeping ladies keep the rooms clean and are nice. We tipped them every day. Most of the staff doesnt want to be bothered with providing service its like your being there is a problem for them. Your best bet is to understand this early, deal with it, and not get upset about it.The beach makes it! Clear, warm water. Small waves, beautiful views, fun snorkeling and sailing, shade on the beach, some topless ladies, not crowded makes it worth it!For the beach and the price would go back to the Royal Antiguan. Next time will plan better bringing food, booze, and washcloths (never could get one).

Great !

We had a great time at the Royal Antiguan. It was a typical 3 star hotel in the Caribbean (similar to any other 3 star on the other caribbean islands that we've visited) so we were suprised that people were complaining about their rooms.....if they wanted 5 star then they should have paid 5 star prices. The rooms were more than adequate and were cleaned daily.The beach was fantastic, yes there were vendors on the beach but after the first couple of days they stopped trying to sell you things and just wished you a pleasant day. I bought lovely jewellery from Victoria, a lovely woman who has been selling on the RA beach for 15 years!! The food in Andes and Barringtons was fantastic, we weren't too keen on the Lagoon buffett so tried to get in these 2 restaurants as often as possible (max of 2 per week at Barringtons though). I feel that if the hotel had been busier we would have had problems getting in. There was absolutely nothing to do during the evening so if you're night owls then don't go to the RA !! All in all a great holiday at a great price.

A good budget vacation

I stayed at the Royal Antiguan from August 9th to 16th, 2003. I went for $599 using a package deal that included air and hotel (I did not do all-inclusive). Given the price of airfare alone, that alone made it a bargain. Well, after reading several negative reviews, I was actually prepared for the worst. That way, I was pleasantly suprised about many things. My friend and I were able to get a free upgrade to the bay side of the hotel. But this "score" was quickly offset by us coming back to our room to find the door open. When we went to hotel security and management about our concerns about finding our door open, we were repeatedly told, "well... YOU must have left it open". They couldn't seem to comprehend that someone might have tried to break in our room. This was my second night and the experience kinda left a sour taste in my mouth.Well, since our room wasn't robbed, we quickly decided not to let this spoil our vacation. We focused on the beach and had a BALL. The beach truly makes this hotel worth the experience. The bay is secluded from the ocean so the water is tranquil. Beautiful views. Non-motorized sports are included, even if you aren't all-inclusive (like me!) so you can snorkel, paddlboat, kayak, etc. There are alot of locals on the beach who are quite friendly. There were also a few smarmy men who were hitting on the single ladies... harmless (I laughed in their faces!). DRINKS: I don't drink alcohol, but the non-alcoholic drinks were tasty and inexpensive. FOOD: TOO expensive. The food at the Lagoon buffet is nasty and NOT worth your money. But if you don't reserve at Andes or Barringtons, it's the only game in town (outside of room service). I went to the Andes one night... expensive but at least it was tasty. Your best bets eating on site are either room service or the beach grill. Breakfast is notoriously expensive, so you should bring your own food or do grocery shopping in St. John (I never ate so many granola bars in my life!). The water at the hotel is potable and actually quite tasty. I never got sick and I drank ALOT of water. Take advantage of the freebies (morning coffee, afternoon tea, manager's cocktail party (a place they try to sell you stuff... but eat as many hordouvres as you can!!!)). There is "entertainment" every night, but some is better than others. The steel band (The Ebonites) was FABULOUS and I had a ball doing Karaoke. There were morning hikes and games (soccer, cricket, tennis). I never did those but thought it nice to have options. NOTE: Don't do the spa... it's a ripoff. they want their money in cash (no credit cards or billing to the room).As far as leaving the hotel, I never rode the taxi but walked over the hill (kinda steep) and caught the local bus for 50 cents EC. I liked walking around St. Johns and seeing where locals live. I ate some local food (I recommend Roti King).They will try to sell you various cruises and activities outside of the hotel. I HIGHLY recommend the catamaran ride from Treasure Island Cruises. You WILL have fun, even if you choose not to try snorkeling. Tony and the fellows really try to get people involved in having fun. It was a highlight of my trip and worth the money. On the other hand, I hated the "party" at Shirley Heights. If you don't like being part of a drunk crowd of "party" people, don't bother (I like things a bit quieter!).BOTTOM LINE: If you want a place to relax (there's nothing else to do), get some sun (whew!! that sun was strong!), and meet new people (I met people from all over the US, UK, and Portugal) on the cheap, I'd recommend staying at the Royal Antiguan.

Royal Antiguan

by VickyTaylor

"Beautiful and unspoilt!"

The Royal Antiguan is not particularly a luxurious hotel, but it is clean and spacious. The hotel beach more than makes up for this, a ruined fort is a short walk from the beach, palm fringed, beautiful tropical fish close to the shore - a wreck just off the bay perfect for divers.

Antigua is full of history, Nelson's Dockyard, Sugar Mills to name but a few - freidnly people, lovely weather 10 out of 10

Overnight at the Royal Antiguan BeachOvernight at the Royal Antiguan Beach

Overnight at the Royal Antiguan BeachOvernight at the Royal Antiguan Beach

drinks prices

by flint1956

I`m going to Antigua to the Royal Antiguan Hotel in an all inclusive plan except drinks !!
Please will someone tell me what to expect about drink prices in 3*or 4* hotels and in public places??
(all kind of drinks if possible)
Many thanks!!