Jumby Bay Island, St. John's, Antigua, Caribbean

Costs 107% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort

Paradise Found!

by TripAdvisor Member TravelCR

We spent our honeymoon at Jumby Bay 8/24/04-8/31/04, and we loved it! We truly felt like it was a paradise. We stayed in a courtyard suite which was well-appointed and spacious. The grounds were all well maintained, Jumby Bay beach was beautiful, and overall it was a relaxing and enjoyable week. There is no nightlife on the island (other than dinner and a nightly movie), but you can ferry to the mainland. However, we appreciated the peace, quiet, and privacy at Jumby. Overall we were pleased with the service...some staff have more attention to detail than others, but overall we were not disappointed with Jumby Bay. I'd highly recommend it and I cannot understand the negative postings here in the past. As someone else said, if you aren't happy with Jumby, you likely won't be pleased anywhere. It was a delightful piece of heaven and a fabulous place to start our marriage! We miss it!

Honeymoon Bliss

My husband and I recently returned from 5 days of pure bliss at Jumby Bay.

As soon as we stepped out of the airport we were greeted by a representative of the resort and ushered into an awaiting cab and taken to Jumby Bay's private catamaran. We enjoyed drinks on the five minute ride and were picked up by the assistant manager in a golf cart on our arrival at Jumby Bay.

We were taken to our Rondavel room, which was amazing! We saw the other rooms on the resort and highly recommend the rondavels for their privacy and lush amenities. The outdoor shower was heavenly.

Throughout our stay the food, staff and grounds were amazing. This was by far the most inovative and delicious food (and drinks) we have enjoyed at an all-Inclusive resort. Although the island did not have bananas for the duration of our stay so we could never try their signature Banana Pina Colada.

I highly recommend visiting in off-season (summer) because the resort is very quiet and the service is even more personalized. Although keep your eye on the weather forecast. Our second five days in Barbados were cut short because of Hurricane Ivan.

Our highlights were the bikes (be sure to tour the whole island by bike), the in-room massages (heavenly!), the sunset view from our private patio, and the Beach!!! We also had a great afternoon at the casino on Antigua, but anything else you would need is all on the island.

Our thanks go to Jumby Bay and their staff, (especially the chef) for making our honeymoon a trip we will not soon forget.

Unbelievably Fantastic!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member cheesecake92

We were at Jumby Bay a few years ago and we loved it then and thought it could not get any better. We were wrong - it was even better than last time. We always stay at upper level hotels and we feel Jumby Bay Resort is right up there on the top of our list!!

From the moment you arrive at the airport, the short boat ride to the island and the greeting rep on the dock - it is all first class.
Since it is now a Rosewood Hotel there have been improvements (we didn't think it needed any improving last time- it's hard to improve on perfection!), such as the landscaping is very lush now & the rooms are gorgeous.

All the staff is extremely courteous - they cannot do enough to make your stay perfect. Once you arrive, everyone knows your name and greets you whenever they see you. This includes the staff in both dining rooms, the bar, the hotel shop, etc.

The beach is unbelievable, as is the setting.

We stayed in a Pond Bay Oceanview room & it was beautiful. They thought of everything-champagne, orchids in the room, big fluffy towels, candles.

The food is wonderful - for all meals. You can have the buffet (which is expansive) for breakfast & lunch and/or order from their very large menu. Dinnner is served at the Estate House (which is a fabulous setting and very elegant) and the food there is also wonderful.

I can't stop raving about Jumby Bay and am counting the days until we will be going there again!!!

more than 10 pages of complaints

On the 22nd of July 2004 a very true and fair complaint was posted on this site. We had the same experience but with more problems. I would love to have contact with the complainer since we are very happy people and not demanding travellers but have seen what there is for sale around the world and the prices related to it. This was no paradise. If your looking for paradise I have many suggestions for you. Paradise is not defined by snob appeal of other guests but by the way staff know how to interact proffesionaly with guest without being stiff. No way Jumby Bay! is our slagan these days and we have had a great vacation since that awfull experience for slightly more in price but incredibble more SERVICE or should I say incredibble SERVICE compared to NO service at all. For now we have closed this file - the Hotel would not comment to us concerning our complaint - and are very happily moving on towards a same vacation in the same great resort that we experienced this great vacation! Honeymooners you only go on honeymoon once choose the right place!
Good luck!

Lovely Resort!

by TripAdvisor Member SJDB

My husband and I honeymooned at Jumby Bay from August 30 - Sept 6, but stayed a few more nights due to my very unfortunate illness/surgery. JB was very accommodating, and helpful with our needs while off at the hospital.

I agree with everyone who says that this resort is beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing. However, there are some issues I wish JB would take notice of. For one, the air conditioning, or lack thereof, was disappointing. For the money, we expected good a/c. We stayed in a Courtyard Suite (36) and the air conditioner that was in our room couldn't cool a closet, much less an oversized room. I can't complain because it is Antigua, and it is supposed to be paradise and tropical. My husband was having a tough time acclimating to the heat, so I called the concierge and they brought us a standing a/c unit. It helped ALOT...we put it at the foot of the bed, so we slept comfortably. The only other thing I was turned off about was having all of the food uncovered outside. The insects were constantly landing on the food, which may be a health concern for some. I noticed that they had the milk in a glass bottle, which presented nicely, but they didn't ever cork it. Flies were swimming in the milk. Needless to say, I didn't drink it, but some might have.

The food (ordered off of the menu) was quite good during lunch and dinner. Try the calamari and quesadillas! The choices were plentiful. The filet was amazing, as well as the soups. Due to my illness I didn't get to fully enjoy the food toward the end of the week.

We enjoyed the quiet atmosphere of the island. We meet three other couples who were also honeymooning, so it was great to meet up with them for cocktails. The resort was at half capacity, so we saw our friends frequently! The beach was beautiful, and very spacious. The beach bar gets five stars!

Final thought...great resort, some minor changes would make it a fabulous resort. Just don't get sick on the island! The medical care in Antigua is poor to mediocre at best.

Happy Traveling!

Wanted to love it but...

I consulted this site before making our reservations so I feel I owe it to all to post our experience. We have stayed at numerous top of line places before this (Las Ventanas twice, Broadmoor, Homestead, Greenbrier, etc) and this place just falls short and particularly when you take into account the rates they charge.

The devil is in the details and they just were not able to put the finishing touches on the experience. First, the transportation to and from the airport is a beat up van and nothing like what you get at Las Ventanas. On the way back to the airposrt they put 12 people on a none air conditioned van. Thankfully the ride is short. The boat ride over to Jumby Bay is pleasant with great rum punch. For all those with balky sea legs there is nothing to worry about here. The boat is big and the ride is smooth and short. The greeting at the dock is first class. There is no formal check-in. A golf cart simply picks you up and takes you to your room and your luggage arrives shortly thereafter.

We stayed in an Oceanview Courtyard Suite which was wonderful in many ways but also problematic. These suites are more like cabins or bungaloes scattered among the tropical foliage overlooking the beach. They have unobstructed views of the beach but are set off the beach by at least 100-200 yds. The rooms have a nice sitting area, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was nice. On oddity was that the rooms do not have locks on them. You are not provided keys and simply close the door behind you on your way out. Also the walls of the room are primarly made up of floor to ceiling screens covered on the inside by shutters the you can control. This is a neat touch with some drawbacks. First you can shut the shutters but that will in no way keep out the noise. Thankfully the island is pretty quite but any noise (golf carts, maintainence vehicles, or thunderstorms) will sound like they are coming through your suite. Second shutting the shutters will eliminate the cross breeze and your unit will get warm but the only way to change clothes anywhere in your room is to shut them.

The big problems:

First, it DOES rain at this resort (stayed for seven days in early November 2004). It rained hard every afternoon from about 1:30 until about 5 or 6. Now rain is not the fault of the resort but in a tropical setting does carry with it consequences. The rooms are not air conditioned and they rely on ceiling fans and cross breezes to cool the rooms. For these prices they NEED air conditioning. This is not Vail or Aspen, this is a tropical island where it is humid and the temperatures reach the mid-80's and 90's. It really makes sleeping somewhat uncomfortable. This is not something you should have to be concerning about for $800-1,200 per night. But here is the biggie. Because you do not have air conditioning and the rooms are "open" mosquitoes are a huge problem. The nets on the bed are not decorative. For those who think I may be exaggerating this just take a look in the closet of your room. They provide you with a huge can of Bop Insect Repelent and multiple candles and coils to burn in your room to fight the mosquitoes. Our first night we went to dinner at the Estate House and got eaten to death. You must bring Off to wear out out at night. This is not optional. The stronger the sea breeze the better the mosquito problem.

The food was a mixed bag. We generally do not stay at all-inclusive places but decided to give this a try. The breakfast was good. They had a serviceable buffet and many quality choices on the menu including Waffles, French Toast, and Eggs Benedict. The lunch was the best meal of the day. There are a variety of choices and all were good. The only problem with lunch was the service. They were understaffed and getting drinks was like pulling teeth. The dinner was where they fell short and it was not for lack of trying (while we were there our only choice was the Estate House for dinner). The service was great at every dinner. The are attentive, polite, and ever present. The food was the problem. Suprisingly the fish here is not at all the way to go. In most cases it is not fresh. The other no-no was the veal. It was not good at all. The best bets were the filet and the lamb. You should not feel like you are steering clear of items in a setting like this. Some of the best options were the salads and appetizers. The pear and goat cheese salad was great. By the fifth night we were dreading dinner because the options for the main course were so limited. On the good news front the house wines are serviceable and the cocktails in the lounge and at all the bars were terrific. You can order drinks with top of the line liquor at no extra charge. I highly recommend the banana daiquiris while sitting on the beach. Cigars seemed popular and probably helped with the mosquitoes.

The beach is beautiful and the water is gorgeous. (Men and tall women beware of the stationary wooden umbrellas at the beach. They are at the perfect height to knock yourself out. Guy we met did it three times and I did it once and drew blood.) Flooting on a mat in the ocean water was by far the highlight of the trip. The pool is a complete afterthought. It is almost impossible to find and there is no service at the pool.

If you are looking for a vacation full of activities this is not the place for you. The pace is very slow and it is all about reading a book and taking naps.

Jumby Bay in not terrible it simply is not in the same class of the places that charge similar prices.

Some truth in all the postings here

After spending six nights at Jumby Bay as a gift to ourselves to celebrate our 25th anniversary I think that there is some truth in all the postings here. It just depends on your individual idea of what makes a great or not so great vacation or resort and your attitude. Yes, there was construction on the island that looks as if it will continue for many years to come but the bulk of it was on the opposite side of the island from the resort. Yes, there were times when we could see the planes or hear them quite loudly from our verandah depending on the flight paths for that day but they were few and far between and could be counted on one hand. Yes, some of the staff was more friendly and conscientious than others. Yes, the air conditioning in the room was inadequate, we were devoured by mosquitoes and YES, we had a great time. We maintained a positive attitude, open mind and got the relaxing, easy going, casual, no stress trip we wanted in spite of a day of rain on our first full day there and pouring rain during our anniversary dinner.

All transportation to and from the airport was timely including the special arrangements the hotel made for our early morning departure of 4:45 a.m. to catch our flight home. We had booked a Rondeval room but were taken to a courtyard suite upon arrival; seems we were the lucky recipients of an upgrade. The room and amenities were lovely and both the indoor and outdoor showers were great. The bed, pillows, robes, linens and towels were the best in comfort. The ceiling fans and breezes gave the room a “tropical” comfort level which was cooler on some nights than others but authentic with what a place on the beach really is. If you want fake go to Las Vegas.

We did the meal plans at Caneel Bay and Little Dix but this was our first time at an all inclusive resort so I was a little apprehensive regarding the quality of the food and drinks; for no good reason as it turned out. The food was excellent and creative at breakfast, lunch and dinner. They are generous with the champagne, wine and drinks which are quite yummy if you like exotic tropical concoctions and the martinis are also well done. Since we were there on Election Day several of us ended up in the TV room to watch the returns after dinner. We stayed well past closing time but were given a bottle of wine and champagne to keep us going after they had locked up the bar. We went once to check out the afternoon tea and it was not worth the effort in our opinion, but who needs four meals a day anyway.

One of the things we found most rewarding on our trip was meeting some wonderful couples from England and Switzerland as well as New Jersey and Texas. The resort was at full capacity while we were there but because of its small size you see many of the same faces day and night. We’d meet up at the beach bar in the afternoon, before or after dinner for drinks, on the snorkel trip or just hanging at the beach. Every one of them were having a fabulous time and thoroughly enjoying the resort as well.

We cycled around the island, had in room massages, and my husband learned to water ski on his second day of trying because of the instruction and patience from the water sport guys. We did not make a trip over to the main island of Antigua based on recommendations from our NJ and TX friends we’d met but we were not on vacation to go shopping or gambling anyway.

I think the greatest compliment to the resort came one afternoon when we were sitting in our room resting after getting showered and cleaned up before dinner. My husband simply said to me “we should go on more vacations like this”. He thanked me for putting it together and apologized for not taking more of an interest when I was doing my research and homework in trying to pick the “most perfect” place I could for our celebration.

The afternoon before our departure the bill was left in our room for review since we would be leaving the resort so early in the morning. The last two nights of our stay were charged at $150 per night more than the previous four nights and what my confirmation stated. I brought this to their attention before we left on the sunset sail and by the time we retuned it was cleared up but without an explanation of why it happened in the first place.

I withheld giving the resort a perfect score because there are some imperfections and I am extremely critical. However, none of the imperfections would prevent me from recommending it.

Is this what Heaven feels like?

I have been reading and judging these reviews from November of 2003, I just got back on 8/7/04 we spend there 4 nights. (way to little) I have been planning a very special and unique vacation as a surprise for my wife on our 10th anniversary. According to her and I (we are both tough critics) it is an amazing place. First of all the food is amazing and the selection is wonderful. The service could not be better, they know there jobs and that is to make you feel welcome and comfortable with every request being met. The rooms were amazing just like pictured. Yes it is not a Four Seasons or a Ritz or for that matter another RoseWood Property, but that is what make this place so different. There are no keys, no cars, no discos, it is like stepping back in time. I thought I was going to miss the tv was I wrong. Did not even use the beautiful tv room once. I could go on for days giving wonderful reviews. As we were there we saw a coulple that complained about the ac the food and the bikes. Please be aware that this is a very rustic resort if you want to be pampered and relax (by the way the best massages we have ever gotten not even in a Ritz , the Bellagio or any Mandarin Hotel) this is the place. The beach was gorgeous if you do not want to see the planes or the hillsides of Antiqua just go to the nature beach. Once again you will LOVE IT! Last but not least, I asked room service to prepare the room after turn down so it could like nice and romantic. They laid flowers on the bed, the floor inside and out our room, the pillows and even the bathroom with music and candles going. Incredible and no charge.

Jubmy Bay-almost perfect

by TripAdvisor Member mh1962ny

I agree with the postings that indicate that the resort is well above average. We spent 4 relaxing nights in early november. How can you go wrong, you are going to your own private island. The service was extremely friendly and the room ( a courtyard suite) was excellent. I agree that the planes were a bit noisy but they were infrequent. I did find it dissapointing that you are sitting on this beautiful empty beach (or swinging in a hammock) with a cool tropical drink in your hand looking over the blue waters of the caribbean, but when you look across the water, there is a power plant and some sort of communication company with a huge satellite dish.

Coming from New York, it is tough too meet expectations on the food. Breakfast and lunch were great, but dinner was mediocre. My wife ordered the swordfish and it was inedible, so it was sent back. However, the manger was quick to come over and get her something else. The desserts were very good and they served a good selection of house wines and top shelf liquor.

If you want to relax, be pampered and meet some nice people who are there to do the same thing, I would highly recommend it. The bottom line is would you go back and I would definetely say yes.

lovely staff, marginal management

It has been several months since we stayed at Jumby for our honeymoon. We found most of the staff to be simply lovely and very gracious. There were a few staff members who were just uninterested, particularly at the front desk, which left us with a terrible first impression.We found the beach itself to be fairly average although the staff on the beach could not have been more helpful. The picnic for two at the more private beach was fabulous and an option that I would recommend wholeheartedly. We found that the island was in the midst of a lot of construction and it appeared to us that a lot of the landscaping was not being cared for adequately-an enormous disappointment because we had heard a lot about the beautiful landscape of the island. In addition, at the time we visited, there was no policy in place about young children in the more formal dining room and cocktail lounge. We loved the children at the beach but not at our 8:30 pm dinner when they were tired, cranky, and bored to tears. This is obviously something that the staff can not control. It is up to the management to develop some policy that would support their staff around this issue. Of course, resort guests might have the good sense not to drag their small children into a dining situation that could only spell torture for a 4 or 5 year old. (I won't even address the families dragging their children-including strollers-up to the cocktail lounge at the Estate house. Is this an expression of family values? ) I did not find the other guests-British or American-to be unpleasant in anyway, just too inconsiderate and too cheap to hire the babysitting service. I would need a lot of encouragement to return because Jumby just did not live up to the standards met by other resorts we have stayed at.

Comments