La Cabana Resort

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about La Cabana Resort

La Cabana Beach Resort

by kristink about La Cabana Beach Resort

Two (or three?) big pools. Iguanas hung out around one pool frequently and would sun themselves on the nearby rocks.

Stay somewhere else

by TripAdvisor Member breezienc

What a JOKE. Dirty!!!! Extreemly hard beds (and yes they are all new)!!! OLD HOTEL!!! Okay-we stayed here on our honeymoon(should have listened to the other reviews), and we were the youngest people under 65 there. Most of them loved the place and thought it was wonderful. Now, I have NOTHING against people over 65, however dont want to be with 1000 of them on my honeymoon- just like they dont want to be with 1000 of young 20 something drinking people-there is just not much in common. But, I felt like I was back at the nursing home volunteering. The rooms are a step up from Yuck! Not only did we pay for an oceanfront and didnt get it once there, there was pee on the seat, hair in the tub, sand on the floor (NO rugs whatsoever in the place), mold in the tub and shower curtain, pealing wall paper, SMELLY PLACE, thin walls, OLD APPLIANCES, un-working appliances, beds softer than concrete but not softer than the pool lounge chairs. Careful of their pictures on their site, they incorrect, they have the blue furniture and no carpets. EVERYTHING shuts down at like 9pm!!! EVEN the pool&Jacuzzi!! Staff VERY NICE. But upper management...no help whatsoever. Captains Table food GREAT(but pricey), good mixed drinks, did I mention the beds are HORRIBLE. We stayed there and the next morning I couldnt get up! No kidding, I couldnt walk or move a lot all week because of the bed damage to my lower back-at least with me hobbling all over I looked more in tune with the other guests.

Beach- well it was Aruba-do I need to say more :-)-so pretty
FYI-get out there EARLY, people get up early, put there stuff on all the huts, and then go back to bed or out for the day and then come back and claim them. We couldnt get one all week! Oh well it is Aruba!!

Fun things to do- Flying Fisherman-we had the best meal at this place, our table was ON THE BEACH-and I mean if I stuck out my leg I could have hit water! LA Ponderosa Ranch horseback tours-they are GREAT-and affordable!-and SO attentive! De Palm Island-day trip-GREAT all inclusive-however we dont drink much so it was pricey for us-but if you drink it is GREAT price for you-and there are beaches and snorkling included. FYI-DO the Seatrek-it is so worth the money!!!

This place is horrible, however the updates they are planning (which we saw a show room when we were there) are GREAT, however they will prob jack up the price. We heard from 95% of the people on the island that the Marriott was the place to stay if you are under 50, so we will prob go there next time-since we know Marriott!

Barely a 3 star

by TripAdvisor Member ematchey

This hotel is way past its glory days and badly needs a renovation. I would not stay here again but I would recommend this a cheap alternative for families who don't really care for luxury accomodations. ALSO, major point to note (which i did not notice anyone else point out on this forum)... 1 mile from the hotel there is a sewage processing plant ...that's right .. if the wind blows the wrong way it smells pretty bad on the beach. This happened to us 2 out 7 days.

Here is my breakdown by category:

OVERALL: It looks like this hotel was once great, but has aged and now needs a facelift. The beach across the street is great and there is a big pool, but other than that the rooms are 2* to low 3* rating.

LOCATION: it's far from town. you need to take a bus or taxi to get to most restuarants, the casions, high-rise area or town. taxis can take a max of 5 people per car, so the costs really add up if you have 6 people. the bus is approx $1.30 one way to town.

ROOM: They are old and need remodelling. The kitchen is convenient to do your own cooking though. We took the bus to the supermarket and stocked up for the entire week, it was really convenient and saved us money. The bathroom has very poor ventilation and water pressure. The design of the 1-bed room units is pretty poor. The bedrooms do not have any outside windows ..and when you enter the suite you enter directly into the bedroom, which is really annoying if there are 4 of you since the people staying on the pull out couch need to exit through the other couple's bedroom.

HOTEL FACILITIES: the pool area is pretty nice, no complaints. the restaurants are awful and overpriced, average chicken tenders cost $10, the pizza is dripping with oil, salad lettuce is old just based on our 1 experience. The fitness area is old and looks hygenically challanged.

BEACH: beautiful, really this is the highlight of the hotel. the only minor issue is the lounge chair situation. you basically ahve to get up at 7 and run to claim your spot under a palapa but leaving your bag or towel there. Also, the chairs are all locked up and you ahve to the attendant to unlock them for you (tip is expected here).

SERVICE: good overall. people are friendly ...but then we didnt have any major problems. there were not alot of towels and blankets in the room, i had to call twice but they were eventually brought up.

It was worth it for me

by TripAdvisor Member mlwhite05

I recently stayed at La Cabana-BRC last week and I thought it was decent. I booked it through my timeshare, so it was like a free hotel for me and my guests (which can't beat staying anywhere else). It does need major updating (I would compare the room decor and wear/tear to that of a decent Econolodge), but they are beginning renovation in May, and I did see the new rooms and they are fabulous! Can't wait to go back and stay in the new rooms. Also if you can get an ocean view/poolside room (upper floors if possible), the view is breath taking. It also was not as loud as someone had told me it would be. The hotel was right across the street from probably the most beautiful beach in Aruba and one of the top 10 in the world, and also had a nice big pool if you like that kind of thing. Also had a bus stop nearby, casino across the street, and within walking distance to high rise hotels. The staff was very friendly, housekeeping was good. The bar service could have been faster, but I think Aruba is just a laid back country and that's how things work there. It had a grocery store near the lobby and many little souvenir shops.

We only ate at three restaurants b/c we spent most of our time roaming around the island, but what we did eat was good (The Captain's Table Prime Rib Buffet on Sundays, Islander Grill for cheaper food during the day hours, and Pizzamore-$13 for large pizza) . I do not recommend all-inclusive. We did not use this option b/c there are so many excellent restaurants within a short driving/walking distance. All-inclusive was $100-150/day/person, and we did not spend nearly this much on food at all. If you are going to pay a high price for food, make it worthwhile and venture out to some of the unique restaurants. I recommend the Amazonia by the Occidental Grand. It's a Brazilian restaurant. Great atmosphere, all you can eat, wonderful food and service. A little spendy ($45/person) but well worth it. There are also many excellent, less expensive restaurants nearby, ex. Salt & Pepper and Le Petit. As for breakfast, many good breakfast restaurants in the high rise area. Also a Dunkin Donuts at the Aruban across the street and La Cabana is putting a Cinnabon near the lobby. I also recommend buying your own beer/liquor at grocery stores and keep in it the refrigerator or in a cooler for the pool/beach. The bar at the hotel was very expensive ($5/beer, $6-7/mixed drink in an 8 oz. cup).

I also highly recommend renting a jeep and touring the island or doing some of the tours there (we did the Jolly Pirates snorkeling tour, but I think the De Palm tour would have been better) , but book online before you go b/c it is cheaper and many places are booked for car rentals months in advance. We got lucky and rented a jeep a day in advance from Economy car for $60/day. Also, the best and cheapest souvenir shopping is one street north of the Royal Plaza in downtown Oranjestad.

All in all, I do recommend staying at this resort. I enjoyed it b/c of its location and the convenience of it being a timeshare for me. I felt it was more a place for retired people as well as families. Younger people or those looking for fancier accomodations would probably rather stay in the high rise area. I'm 25 and went with 2 friends of the same age and we had more fun hanging out by the high rise hotels and the rest of Aruba just b/c I think we found more people our age in these places. Really only used the resort as a place to sleep and lay out on our "lazy days."

Not bad for the money

by TripAdvisor Member walter365

Recently stayed at the LaCabana/Aruban Resort read alot of bad reveiws have stayed there in the past. Between management and the "owners" have detroyed a decent resort. The big casino and resturants are closed. Rumor has it somebody stole money and the resort is in receivership explains the condition. But still for the money you can't beat the price. The rooms are fairly clean I had some wipes and tipped the maid and it wasn't bad. . I am glad management there is not handling my 401 K 02/19/08

Our Home Away from Home

by TripAdvisor Member ArubaOwner

My husband and I have been going every January for the last four years and absolutely love Aruba and LaCabana BRC.

Rooms - yes they are outdated and some are probably worse than others, but that will soon change. I've seen the new model rooms and they will be wonderful once completed in the next couple years. Check the website when choosing a room. I can offer suggestions if you email me. Ocean/pool view rooms have a great view compared to the Garden view. Also, choose the southern rooms verses the northern rooms which may help with the sewage smell from the sewer plant. I must add though, that of all my days there, the smell has never been a huge problem. Once in a while on the beach I "got a whiff" but it was never so bad I had to leave.

Maid Service - very friendly and never had any problems. The only complaint I would be that she NOT chain lock the glass door!! Since we were on the ground level, we only used the glass door towards the patio most of the time. Well, once we came back from the beach and tried to get in using our patio door key and couldn't because she had chained it! Of course we didn't have our front door key with. The front desk clerk was more than happy to give me another key for the front door. At first I blamed my son but when it happened again the next day we figured out it was the maid who had done it!!! Why? I don't know but from then on we always carried BOTH keys. Also, on one day she never showed up at all. The card in the room said she had Tuesdays off but this was a Friday. If she had the day off, I still would've assumed they'd just send another maid in her place. Guess not. The only time I didn't have hot water was one morning around 7:30am. I suppose that's when everyone else was also in the shower! Other times of day it was very hot. Great pressure too.
Well stocked kitchen and everything seemed to work. There's pots, pans, utensils, toaster, blender, glasses, plates, silverware, etc. The only complaint I have about that is the dish soap. It sucked!!! Lost all its bubbles within 5 minutes. Oh yeah, we brought microwave popcorn from home and it took over 7 minutes in the microwave and didn't even pop all the way. Don't know if that is the same with all microwaves or just the one in our room.

Restaurants at LaCabana - Walked over to the Aruban resort to get Dunkin' Donuts one morning - Awesome!! We've eaten several times for lunch at the Islander Grill by the pool. Great food with HUGE burgers. Decent price. Don't be surprised if the birds are walking around by your chairs waiting for you to drop a crumb. We added that to our list of "Things you see in Aruba that would NEVER happen in the USA!!!". The Islander Grill, we noticed, has started putting up some screens around the whole thing. I'm going to assume it's for the so-called "fly problem" but again, in January we've NEVER had a problem with flies. Come to think of it this year one evening I got bit by a mosquito and it's the only time I've ever been bit by a mosquito in Aruba. I don't know if other times of the year are worse, but coming from Minnesota - I know mosquitos!!! The pizza place by the Pool (formerly called Pizza and Pastabilities) is awesome. The best pizza we've had in a long time. We ate 2 suppers of just pizza. Filled us up just as good without breaking the bank. Plus we had pieces left over for lunch the next day. I can't remember the name of the little ice cream shop at LaCabana, but stay away!!! I can't believe I didn't learn my lesson after the first year but this year I tried it again because the kids wanted ice cream. We ordered three hot-fudge sundaes and because she doesn't speak any English, we ended up with three strawberry sundaes. The ice cream isn't the soft-serve we're used to and no one finished theirs. It was a nice sized sundae but not for over $5 a piece. I didn't see any prices listed so that should've been a clue. Yuck!!!
I saw a sign saying Cinnabon is coming soon. Can't wait!!!

Casino - it's located near by (within walking distance) and has begun to be renovated. I don't think it's owned by LaCabana, but possibly the Aruban Resort. Don't know when it will be done. The Key Largo (formally the Hangout with the best ribs ever) is now a small casino.

Beach - Eagle beach is one of the best if not THE best in Aruba. Clean, helpful staff, no rocks or seaweed, large area for sunbathing and swimming, and several chairs and huts for all. My husband goes down to the beach around 6am to save a couple chairs and a hut for us. We put our personal towels there to save the chairs after the staff unlocks them all. We tip about $1 per chair each day we use the beach. They set them out and wipe them off. Then by 8:30 or 9 we arrive and everything is in tact. I mentioned that we use our personal towels from home because if they get stolen it's not that great of a loss. However if someone has lost a resort beach towel of course they might steal mine so they don't have to pay for theirs. Not that I've heard of that happening, but it could.

Guest Services - This aspect of the hotel has improved greatly over the past couple years. Each time we walked by they said hello, they made a couple local phone calls for me, set up the brewery tour for us, they made a dinner reservation for us and did it all with politeness.

Caught a tiny, tiny baby lizard in our room one day. That was an adventure trying to catch him!!! Ooops, I forgot the tails break off!!

Pools - Very large pool that we all really enjoyed. Small waterslide, a baby pool, and two hot tubs although the "family" hottub was very cold. The hot tub in the evenings is the best place to meet fellow travelers. My two teens wanted to be in there with us so I let them. They didn't get kicked out by the staff or any of the other users, but I heard that the staff does do that. We understand why, so I wouldn't have complained if they did. However I was very disappointed that the pools and hot tub close at 9pm. That's way too early. After a rough day in the sun and then a wonderful meal it would be nice to come back for a relaxing swim and hot tub soak. Another reviewer is correct, the resort is "dead" after 7-8 pm. It's a shame!! The Wednesday night BBQ and show is great at the Islander Grill. We've never spent the money on the meal but always grab a nearby umbrella table and chairs in the late afternoon and then just stay there to watch the show from the outside. Just as good.

If you want beer for your room, etc don't by it at the resort. You pay probably over $4 a bottle at the bar and a six pack at the resort grocery store was over $17 if I remember right. Even at the local stores it's not cheap. We get ours right at the Heinekken distributor before we even get to the resort! We LOVE Amstel Bright. The thing is you have to buy a minimum of 5 cases. For us that wasn't a problem, but if it is, just ask around the resort for other people who want to buy beer and then go together to get it!!! WAY, WAY cheaper!!! The first years we got bottles but now the resort has been cracking down more when they see it at the pool and on the beach. So we either buy cans OR bring large plastic bottles with us to pour it into. Even though we still have the glass on the beach, it's always in the cooler except for when you're pouring it into the plastic. See, you learn these tricks after a while!!! :)

Email me (aksmieja@centurytel.net) if you want to low-down on exploring the island! I'd be glad to try to help. Especially if this will be your first trip!!

No Worries

by TripAdvisor Member snowbetty50

My husband and I had the most amazing vacation here. We traded our timeshare for this place before I read the reviews. My daughter had been here for a school vacation with her best friend's family and loved it. I'm glad that I went on her recommendation and not the bad reviews that I read here. We had a wonderful time. (We had no problem with smells or flies) We had an ocean view studio with a balcony. The room was very nice, not a plush hotel, but a lovely condo unit. We enjoyed the balcony and ate breakfast outside every morning. Most times my husband went over to Dunkin Donuts in the Villas (the back property) for our coffee, bagel and muffins, but you could have kept your own groceries in the unit also. We were always able to get beach chairs under a palapa at various times of the day. The beach is beautiful and the water is warm and inviting. We walked the beach toward the low rise section. From here to the low rise has the best beaches and clear water. We drove over to the high rise section and walked their beach one day and it was not as nice. There are a couple of public walkways and as long as you don't try to take one of the Hotels chairs, you can set down almost anywhere. It was nice to have lunch over there.

We rented an air conditioned jeep for our whole stay. We had been to the island before (The Radisson) and were familiar enough to get around to the sites on our own. The jeep was the best thing that we did. We brought our own snorkel gear from home and went up (towards the California lighthouse) to snorkel several times. We had also been to Baby Beach, but like the other end of the island better. We explored on lots of off road excursions (out to the fallen Natural Bridge, etc.) and found secluded romantic places to watch the sunset, etc. We also ate at many great restaurants all over the island. During the busy season, make your reservations early in the week or even from home before you leave.

There is a bus stop nearby and taxis are convenient, if you do not like to venture out on your own. The pool area was lovely. The pool/beach towels are big and plentiful. We found all areas of the resort to be clean. We had to go to the bar to watch the NFL football game - only problem is I'm allergic to smoke, and there, smoking is allowed. I went to guest service once for advice on the island, but got none. They are really timeshare sellers. You'll have to read the brochures yourself or do your research before you leave home. We had great help when we rented our Jeep from Machebo Beach Resort, where we stayed for 2 nights prior to this resort. (I don't recommend Manchebo as a place to stay, though.) This place met all of our needs and we had a wonderful vacation to remember.

Loved Aruba

by TripAdvisor Member crossl

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Aruba and we did it all. La Cabana's staff is AWESOME - everyone was so friendly and helpful. Very clean and well maintained. We only had one problem with our room while we were there and maintainence was there in less than 5 minutes - again very friendly

As the other posts say, the rooms are dated, but after seeing the planned renovations beginning in May, they will be just as nice as anyplace else. Our room was quiet with a great view - 3rd floor, with a view of the pool and beach - couldn't have been any better.

We liked the La Cabana because of the small size compared to the high rise area. The beach is fantastic and spacious - always plenty of chairs. We visited the high rise hotels a couple of times, the beaches are very small and crowded - definately not for us.

We did an all day Jeep tour with ABC tours - our guide Coletta was a blast! She made our whole trip worthwhile.

The snorkeling was phenomenal - saw a stingray 10' off shore near our beach. Even hit a jackpot in a casino downtown. All the shops downtown were fun - again ALL the people were so friendly.

I would recommend the La Cabana to anyone! The happy hour was a blast - music great, food good. We did not do the all inclusive - too many other places to visit. This is the place to stay, UNLESS you like lots of people and crowded beaches

Our only bad experience was the airport - Aruba public employees were on strike - 2 1/2 hours to get through all the check points and 1 1/2 sitting on the plane waiting in line to fly out. We were also told we would have to pay a $37/person land use tax when we went through the airport - but didn't have to do that. Maybe because of the strike?? But not complaining

I'll be happy to "talk" to anyone who would like to email me

Excellent Stay in Aruba

by TripAdvisor Member mking759

This was our first trip to Aruba. My wife & I and our 2 daughters 6&11. We rented a studio, it was good enough for us to sleep and have our breakfast & lunch each day to save some money. It was quiet & relaxing by the beach, & a little more lively by the pool. The nights at the resort were dead. We went to the high rise area at night to eat & walk around. The restaraunts weren't very crowded before 8:00. One piece of advice I can give is to do a couple of time share tours, they will give you a restaurant voucher for $100, I only did one but I wish I did more since dinner was about $100 each night. We did one timeshare tour & ate for free one night the bill was $93 but only cost me one hour of my time earlier in the day. Be firm, if you are not interested when your hour is up, let them know you did your time & you are not interested.

Didn't like La Cabana

by TripAdvisor Member needabreak3

Loud bingo around the pool, old rooms in need of updating and rapair (towel rack hanging off of bathroom wall). OK if you don't mind staying in a place that is dated and in disrepair, and you just want kitchen facilities and a place to crash at night.

Divi - divi Tree at ArubaDivi - divi Tree at Aruba