Occidental Grand Aruba Hotel

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

J.E. Irausquin Blvd 83, (formerly Allegro Aruba Grand Hotel), Palm/Eagle Beach, Aruba, Caribbean
Occidental Grand Aruba
amextravel.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Occidental Grand Aruba Hotel

Occidental Grand Aruba Beach Resort & Casino

by nugget469 about Occidental Grand Aruba Beach Resort & Casino

The facilities were superb, they had entertainment that didnt pester you to join in, you either did or you didnt. The pool, and spa were very very clean and hygenic, and spacious.

The weather was constantly sunny, with the odd tiny cloud. With the trade winds though you don't feel the heat so make sure you wear sun tan lotion, otherwise you will get burnt.

The rooms were lovely, you ha king size beds, a mini bar, a luxury bathroom, a TV, Ocean view step out balcony or patio. Fully air-conditioned, Hair driers, Private room safe, Large private baths, Walk-in closets. The list goes on.

The beach was one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, soft, fine sand, with clear waters.

Ocean view step out balcony or patio.

And it had a large casino, just dont spend all your spending money in there.

You could go on boat trips, and other excursions. A scuba diving trip i went on, i got to swim around a sunken battle ship from the second world war. The trip was amazing.

I REALLY RECOMMEND THIS TRIP!!!!! My stay was amazing, the ALL INCLUSIVE food was brilliant, there were so many restaurants to choose from with in the resort that you could go to a different one everyday of the week.

Ocean view step out balcony or patio.

And it had a large casino, just dont spend all your spending money in there.

I REALLY RECOMMEND THIS TRIP!!!!!

WHERE TO GAMBLE - ARUBA' S CASINOS

by LoriPori

In this tip I will outline WHERE TO GAMBLE - ARUBA'S CASINOS. Aruba is a well known destination for gambling and boasts 11 Casinos:

ALHAMBRA CASINO
Beside Divi Resorts
583-5000

ALLEGRO CASINO
Located at the Occidental Grand Aruba
Craps, blackjack, Caribbean stud poker and roulette
J.E. Irausquin Blvd. #83 Palm Beach Aruba

Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort
586-1234

CRYSTAL AND SEAPORT CASINOS
At the Renaissance Resort
Over 700 slots, 30 table games including blackjack, Caribbean stud poker, craps, mini-baccarat and roulette
523-6318

EXCELSIOR CASINO
Holiday Inn Sunspree Beach Resort
Aruba's famous poker room is open every night
Bingo, slots, table games, sports betting
(297) 586-7777

STELLARIS CASINO
586-9000

Very Disappointed in the new Occidental

by TripAdvisor Member JGMD

My husband and I just returned from the Occidental Aruba (May 13-17) and was very disappointed. We have stayed at this hotel 2 other times when it was Allegro and loved it. It's very different now. The food at the breakfast buffet was ice cold. Same items on lunch buffet every day - hamburgers and hot dogs. The mexican restaurant is not open and either is the disco. A couple of employees that work there say they will probably not open unitl December. You have to make reservations for dinner very early as the fill up quickly (restaurants are very small). The evening entertainment was a one man band playing the same songs each night for two hours in the lounge bar which has four seats - this is the only place to have a drink in the evening. The ballroom is under construction and the couple shows that they had were at the bottom of the stairs on a real little stage - it was really cheesey. The bathrooms by the pool were out of order all week. Daytime activities happened periodically. Constuction started at 8:30 every morning and went on all day. They have a long way to go. I was told that they have only finished 100 rooms. Everyone that we spoke to at the hotel were very disappointed. It was so bad that I called my travel agent and tried to book another hotel while we were there. I would highly recommend staying at a different hotel.

Great Vacation Paradise

My husband and our friends have been staying at the Allegro for years and must say it is truly a great place for the price. The staff is always courteous and accomodating. The food is very well prepared and I think there is plenty of variety. We have never had anything put an purely enjoyable time and would reccommend this place to everyone. The beach is great with lots of sun or shade whichever you prefer. Can't wait to go there this winter in the all new Allegro.

reminded me of 1960's havana.

by TripAdvisor Member bbqman3341

we had an all inclusive that didn't work to our advantage. we were there for 5 days and couldn't wait to escape. the flat draft beer and watered drinks were included with the all you cared to eat buffet which wasn't fit to eat either. the island was beautiful but we will NEVER go back due to the surliness of the people. i think the whole island hates tourist!

Unforgettable time!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member amw

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel 8 days in september and we had a great time.

It was hurricane season in the states so there was no wind on the island and the weather was 85 to 90 degress everyday.

The hotel has really good food. The italian resturant is fantastic. We had a little trouble getting in two times. I explained it was my bday and they said no, but my boyfriend went and asked and they said yes. They brought me out a birthday cheesecake and sang and played music for me. It was really special.

As for the hotel.
The rooms are ok, nothing special, but we did not spend much time in our rooms. They are clean and all have balconies. Our view was fantastic, ocean and the pool. It was really picturesque.

The pool is definitely the best pool in aruba. The hyatt and radisson are nice too, but not all inclusive.

The allegro occidental is in a great location. We were able to walk down the beach to catch the pirate snokerling booze cruise and go para-sailing.

The hotel also lets you borrow rafts and snokerling gear which is included at no additional price. The rafts are great for the beach and the pool and they have more than enough to go around. I recommend renting a car and going to babies beach with your borrowed snokerling gear. This was definitely a highlight. You can rent a car in the lobby for about 30$ and there is basically only one road so you can't get lost.

I would also recommend going to one of the time-share things at a hotel that offers discounts on rentals. We went to one for the divi and they gave us a free four-wheeler trip around the island, which is dessert but was awesome. It took about 2 hours to do the time-share thing, but they were not pushy when we said no and still gave us the discount voucher.

Going back to the hotel. You can always get a drink easily even when there are crowds. The pool bar is the most difficult, but still not impossible. The buffet is awesome and the shows they put on are very entertaining. We saw about four shows.

Each night would end at the casino. They have tables and slots and they kept the drinks coming. We went to all the hotels. Check out the hyatt and radisson casino. they are pretty nice. Actually the allegro is right next to both of them, so it is really convenient.

If you are looking for a great time and not worried about frills and romance, GO ALLEGRO! If your looking for something fancy and elegant, stay hyatt or radisson, but you are going to pay much more for those.

The all inclusive trip at the allegro is hard to beat: the food, atmosphere, location, price, casino, shows are all outstanding!

Aruba was beautiful - but stay elsewhere

We went on a once in a lifetime trip to Aruba last winter. I booked way ahead and took my 18-year-old daughter and my 75-year-old mother. The sand and ocean were amazing, but this hotel left a lot to be desired for the price I paid. We were treated in a very nasty manner by the front desk clerk upon check-in, and placed on a smoking floor, after having specified through our agent that we required a non-smoking room. We had a letter with us to this effect and requested non-smoking from her, showing the letter to her very politely. We were placed in a room on a lower floor, though we had paid for an upgraded room, and we were overlooking the garbage cans. After two days of headaches and smelling wafting smoke, we were told by another vacationer that he had paid half what we had per person, and was in a beautiful room on "one of the non-smoking floors" which we were never told they had. This man had also flown out from Toronto like we had, and she put him on the 9th floor by himself in a huge room overlooking the pool and ocean. Very unfair! Why?

Stolen luggage - Avoid at all costs!!

by TripAdvisor Member travellernj

When we checked in to this hotel, we left our luggage with the bellman. When he delivered our luggage, one of our bags was missing. He said he remembered seeing the bag and that he had probably delivered it to the wrong room. Well, our bag never turned up, and the hotel then tried to tell us that we left it on the plane. THE STAFF AT THIS HOTEL IS NASTY!!! There is no one in charge. The staff will basically say anything they want to the guests. In addition, the food is awful and the casino is small.

We loved the island and the people (outside of the Allegro, of course). We returned to Aruba again and stayed at the Hyatt. The Hyatt is beautiful, clean and the staff is wonderful. The restaurants are great and you are within walking distance of dunkin donuts for your morning cofee. In addition, the casino is very nice and the staff in the casino is friendly also.

All in all, HIGHLY recommend Aruba (going back for our honeymoon this fall), but AVOID THE OCCIDENTAL ALLEGRO AT ALL COSTS!!!

This hotel almost ruined my honeymoon! PLEASE READ BEFORE BOOKING

I stayed in this hotel in August 2003 but did not know to post until now. Please note when I booked this hotel in 2003 they said they would have the rooms all renovated by that year but I notice this website says they are still working on it. Please take this under advisement when visiting this hotel. And the name had been changed back then! SOMETHING is not accurate about that.

This hotel tried very hard to ruin our honeymoon. We arrived after a long day of layovers and delays on the airlines for us to learn they had accidentally overbooked the hotel. I was furious and started yelling because this was my honeymoon and I was really not in the mood for this.

The only good thing about this hotel is 2 things- they did take pity on us and put us up at another hotel, the Radisson next door which was heaven for 3 days. And they bumped us up to All inclusive (which I am glad I didn't pay for. The breakfast was good but everything else was mediocre. I was glad to have it for free, but I would have been pissed if I had paid for it out of pocket) which was nice.

We ran into TWO other couples while we were on the Cuckoo Kunocko and they also had the same thing happen and one of them was put up at a hotel 2 blocks from the beach and another one was put up in a crappy hotel, so my husband and I did luck out. But the point is we were one couple out of 3 having their honeymoon weekend ruined by the place. They told us how busy they were that week, but I am sorry there is NO excuse. We were there in August, which according to all the sites is a slow season in Aruba.

So I actually cried when we needed to go stay at the Occidental. The room had extremely old carpeting, was dark, the bathroom was dirty and had mildew. The decor was terrible, it was clearly from the 1960s. The bed sunk in the middle and was terribly uncomfortable. The sheets and bedspread where worn through and there were cigarette burns on it!!!! On the outside, the beach was terribly crowded,we actually walked back to the Radisson beach which was significantly less crowded. Also, if you have kids this place might be good but it is NOT good if you want a quiet romantic getaway because there were kids everywhere and it was hard to find solitude which was so easy to find at the Radisson.

When we left there were incorrect charges on the bill and I found the staff hard to deal with, especially in dealing with making reservations.

I think this hotel should only be ranked with one or two stars. Stay elsewhere, ESPECIALLY if it is your honeymoon. I spent most of my time at the hotel out on the balcony with the shades drawn or at the pool. I am not a rich person but I have never stayed at such a crappy hotel in my life. I don't need 4 stars or the waldorf, but I want decor that was at least, I don't know from the past 20 years? The entire place was dank and drab. And like I said you have to wonder why the renovations are taking so long and why people are still complaining now, as I see a lot of reviewers are. This must mean they do not consider the opinions of those staying with them.

Take your hard earned money elsewhere!

My only regret is I didn't know to check Tripadvisor before hand. As a matter of fact that's why I discovered this site, as I wanted to find a better way to evaluate before I travelled.

ARUBA

by pookie3405

"Occidental Grand Allegro Aruba"

We went to Aruba March 5-12, 2004 and stayed at the Grand Allegro Aruba. It was an all-inclusive resort and it was wonderful. We went on the Octopus Snorkeling excursion. Went parasailing. Rented a jeep and went around the entire island. It was 20 miles long and 6 miles wide.

honeymoon in aruba and occidental grand aruba

by rp2628

hey!

My fiance and i have just booked our honeymoon in Aruba for next August. Does anyone have any suggestions of really romantic things we could do? What are the must sees/dos? (We're from the UK).

We have booked to stay at the Occidental Grand Aruba (this will be when refurb is complete) - does anyone know what it is like? id love to hear all about it or see any photos.

Thanks

Rachel

ps What is the weather like in august/sept?

RE: honeymoon in aruba and occidental grand aruba

by diver-x

We were there this past spring and checked out a lot of the high rise hotels. Of course, the Occidental was under construction, but the property looked wonderful and the location is great, right in the thick of the high-rise area restaurants & shopping. The beach is lovely! No doubt you'll be happy there!

PushiRubiano/Ilona's Aruba pages are great! She's the resident expert on Aruba (literally), so definitely check them out.

We really enjoyed touring the north coast and the National Park by jeep. We rented a jeep for the week and explored on our own. We spent the mornings scuba diving and the afternoons 4 wheeling, and caught sunsets ususally in the hills of the National Park. It was great fun! And beautiful! Enjoy!

RE: RE: honeymoon in aruba and occidental grand aruba

by rp2628

Thank you so much for the info and piccies! Im very excited now! Can't believe I still have a year to wait though!!! I will try alot of the suggestions you mentioned and the photos look grand!

RE: honeymoon in aruba and occidental grand aruba

by kateylou

The weather is hot, but there is always a fantastic breeze.

Have dinner served to you by candlelight on the beach. Call your hotel ahead of time for reservations. If your hotel doesn't do that, try one of the other hotels.

Must do is snorkling, especially by the old shipwreck. We took a fantastic booze cruise at sunset on a pirate ship looking boat called Mi Dushi, and that was great.

thinking about booking last minute for August honeymoon

by Frankie5fingers

don't know if anyone has an idea of how low prices could go, current prices (CAD) to travel from toronto to aruba in Aug are:

1) 1200-1500 with flight, some meals
2) 2200-2500 with flight, all inclusive (Occidental Grand Aruba)

any thoughts? does all-inclusive make sense?

thanks for any help.

by matbockh

Have you considered a yacht charter for the honeymoon?

Check out http://nsspattam.com/ You may be surprised about costs.

by MoNewcamp

Heading to Aruba in March 09. All-inclusive
I personally think all-inclusive is a good deal.
Went to Antigua last year and it was well worth it. We still ventured out and ate a couple of times.
Good Luck

by MoNewcamp

Just came back from Aruba, I'd look into Antigua (spent a wk all-inclusive) Barbados(day trip on a cruise)

strange weather patterns in Aruba, rained on and off and a down pour one day, they canceled boat trips because of waves and the water was cooler than we expected and cloudy.

Antigua scenery was beautiful and the ocean was calm and warm, great sunsets every night

by travelnut71

Is there anything unique Aruba offers? If so how do we get there and the cost. Thanks

Re: What is there to do in Aruba besides just enjoying the beach and food at the resort?

by dustmon

There are some National parks that are nice to see----casinos at night---lots of art galleries and shops.....check out www.aruba.com
There is a Regatta coming up this August as well......
dustmon

by Dabs

There were some daytrips you could take, DePalm is the big tour operator on the island. We did a snorkeling trip and a jeep trip with them, I have writeups on my Aruba page. Aruba has some of the prettiest nicest beaches of any place I've been but if you are looking for a place with a lot of daytrip options, Aruba might not be your place.

by Odinnthor

I have to agree with those above. Fantastic beaches and nightlife is pretty good too, (yes, casinos). Also agree with De Palm Tours being a good bet for tours. Aruba is best though for water sports. I know they have a submarine tour available there too.

Nightlife is also a blast, if that is what you like. Clubs like Carlos & Charlies, Mambo Jambo and Cafe Bahia. Casinos like the Stellaris at the Mariott, Casablanca at the Westin, and the Occidental Grand Casino.

Hard not to have fun on Aruba. However as said, if you are looking for inland touring or hiking or the like, another island might be better.

Comments