The Mill Resort & Suites Aruba

Costs 50% less but rated 17% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about The Mill Resort & Suites Aruba

Mill Resort -- A great experience on One Happy Island

by TripAdvisor Member lpsmith55

For our second trip to Aruba, we stayed at the Mill Resort and Suites on the recommendation of a family member. We were looking for a friendly, relaxing vacation and the Mill definitely delivered! The staff and the guests are very friendly, the resort clean and well cared for and the overall location excellent. There are activities available every day for guests if you're interested in more than just the beach or the pool. We stayed in a Royal room/type C with a pool view and it is perfect for a couple. Rooms overlooking the parking lot are not recommended, so be sure to request a pool view/ interior garden view room. The walk to the beach through the Wyndham Resort is brief and pleasant. The restaurants at the Wyndham are great -- but also check out the Garden Cafe right at the Mill. The Weds. night barbeque buffet is excellent, popular with locals as well. The Mill isn't an upscale resort but it has a definite charm. Some guests we met have been coming for 10 + years. We will definitely return.

Great place to stay

My wife and I just returned from the mill resort the room was nice. the food was great but expensive we spent about $100.00 dollar a day on breafast lunch and dinner. The pool was excelent they had a D.j at the pool everyday I mean I will give the pool an A+. I would recommend anyone to bring alot of cash, because my debit card did not work at the hotel we had to go across the street at the wyndam and get money out of the ATM machine. And also be alert that you will need a 250.00 dollar depost for your stay at the mill resort they wont tell you that untill you arive there, so make sure you bring an extra 250.00 dollars. The only thing I can say bad about the mill is that you have to walk across the street, go through the wyndam to get to the beach. Other than that If you want to save money I would recommend anyone to stay at the mill resort.

Nice, clean, Beach is right across the street.

I stayed at the mill way back in March. the reason I'm writing a review now is because I recommended this place to a friend. Then she said she read some bad things on trip advisor about it- so I looked. The first review I read said "It rained for 5 days" I don't see how that could possibly be the Mill's fault- but hey, everybody's got to blame somebody, right? The next thing I saw was "a bus comes every half hour to take you to the beach..." Ok , I have to say- that's puzzling- the beach is across the street- I mean yes you have to walk a little bit but I can't imagine being bussed from the Mill to the beach- unless the bus drives onto the sand and drops you off in the water...... it's literally across the street- behind the Aruba Grand (which is a great place too)
Anyway- the Mill is cheaper and I was afraid to book it myself- so instead of the Super Saver I booked the upgrade. No complaints. The room was clean, the deck was right over the pool- I'd open the door and listen to the DJ. The price is right. The place is clean- it's no posh penthouse but it is perfectly fine.

What a great time

by TripAdvisor Member gramashari

We went in Feb, 2004. It was the week they had a celebration much like mardi gras. The car we and many others booked ahead, where not available til after the weekend. That is the fault of the rental companies. We really enjoyed the facilities at the Mills. The food was good and good prices. All the island had higher priced food and drink, but what do you expect when it has to be brought in. We enjoyed being across from the beach, because if you wanted to be there, you walked across the street. They had chairs and towels for the mills guests. We made arrangements in the lobby De Palm Island and that was the highlight of our stay. The Sea Trek experience was awesome. As for the people complaining about the tour buses arriving late. That is the fault of people at the hotels that are supposed to be ready. Chill out and enjoy your stay. The people are great and going to downtown is fun. But I just recommened our friends stay there in Jan. 2005.
THE NOONS, Mpls, MN (cold)

Great Value for the Budget Travelor

The resort was great for us. We are budget travelors that like clean and simple accomodations. We just got back this week (were there April 20-27, 2005).

What was great about the Mill...

1) Very Friendly and Helpful Staff

2) Clean Rooms with good housekeeping

3) Very clean pool

4) Resort areas were well kept

5) Our price King / non-smoking / Jacuzzi tub in room / balcony was about $95 a night (travelocity pricing)

6) Location, Location, Location! It wasn't on the beach, but it was just across the street from Palm Beach, and a shuttle will take you to the beach. Being budget travelors, this was no problem. Most of the time we walked to the beach, it wasn't far at all. I can save the extra $100 a night and walk across the street. We frequented the services of the Wyndham hotel, nice casino, poker room, and restaurants. To go to downtown Oranjestad, I think cab fare is about $6-10. The bus stops across from the Wyndham, and it is an excellent way to get to downtown Oranjestad and back. $1.25 one way, $2.00 round trip. Busses very clean, used by both tourists and islanders. Every 15 minutes during business hours, then hourly until midnight.

7) Electronic Safe in Room with mini-fridge and coffee maker. Coffee supplies for purchase at the mini-market in the lobby.

8) Lots of cute little lizards and geckos!

9) $10 American Breakfast buffet -- good way to start the day, coffee, juices, fried potatoes, pancakes, french toast, fruit, cereal, milk, bagels, muffins, toast, bacon, sausage.

What wasn't so great about the Mill...

1) The elevator was "on the fritz", however, they were actively trying to get it fixed ( no help for us though ).

2) The upper walkways between the rooms, and stairs are made of wood. Not bad, except that one of the stairs was broken while we were there. It happened while we were there, and the area was taped off so people would not use it. The stairs were a bit bouncy when I was there, and I'm about 270 pounds, so I was very careful how I walked the stairs. It would be nice if they replaced the stairs with something brick / stone / concrete.

3) The beach shuttle was not running for some reason, but the resort staff were happy to drive us to the Mill's beach area (next to Wyndham).

4) The resort felt a little "old", but well kept. The lobby was recently remodeled, and looks quite clean and modern. The furniture in the room was not "dated" looking, but it was adequate are looked well kept. 2 Internet kiosks were available for pay, they looked good (e-mail / web / msn messenger), but I had not reason to use them. Car rental (Thrifty) and Tour (De Palm Tours) desks are conveniently located in the lobby along with the mini-market.

I will say that I had a couple of bad experiences with Thrifty, but that is no reflection on the Mill. Just read the Thrifty 4x4 agreement -- you aren't really allowed to take it off road -- but if you can't take it off road, why would you rent a 4x4 in Aruba?!?! Anyway, the 4x4 broke down multiple times in 1 day for us, we changed our plans 3 times because we kept not being able to get where we wanted to go, then finally it stopped working. After wasting our entire day, we were "compensated" with an extra 3 hours.

All-in-all, we were happy with the Mill, and would like to go back again. If you are a budget travelor, or just don't quite have a taste / budget for luxury accomodations, the Mill may be right for you as well.

hmoitta's new Aruba Page

by hmoitta

We've have been to Aruba and a windjammer cruise in the ABC islands and it was great.

We stayed about a week in the Mill resort but we walked a lot and visited many places in the island by car too.

Aruba is a place where tourism is the great activity, so everything is made for the tourist and is a place you'd better have a car to visit, unless you want to do nothing and stay all day in the nearest beach from your hotel, making all meals in hotel restaurants.

The photo is from natural pool in Arikok National Park. If you want to see it the best is take a tour because we tried twice and didn't see it, it became the "hiding" pool for us.

Comments