Garrison Historic Area, Hastings, Caribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Amaryllis Beach Resort

by HollieHolden about Amaryllis Beach Resort

The Hotel was lovely, the rooms were spacious and cleaned daily, with bright traditionally caribbean decor. The location of the hotel was superb, set on a white sandy beach with a shallow lagoon. The buffet breakfast was magnificant with a huge choice of cooked items, fresh tropical fruit, pastrys and more (if a little expensive!)

Amaryllis Beach Resort - Fantastic!

After reading some very mixed reviews of the Amaryllis Beach Resort I was not sure what to expect but both my wife and I were more than happy with pretty much everything. We arrived in mid-afternoon and was greeted by Patricia (really helpful and polite) who checked us in and then was shown to our room (305 I think). Disaster, no sea view and a tiny balcony overlooking the front gardens, we did not pack but went back downstairs and asked Patricia if there was any way we could get a Sea View room, "of course you can sorry about that" was the response and we were quickly put into room 312 and the most fantastic views across the beach and sea that we could want. That was the only hiccup of the holiday. We were all inclusive and every other night was a buffet that was fantastic however on the non-buffet evenings we were allowed to choose from the al a Carte menu, the quality of the food was absolutely first class. We thought we would like to see the island so wanted to hire a car (mini-moke) we asked at reception and was pointed towards Donna who runs the activities, she was an absolute star and helped to make our stay there perfect, not only did she sort out our rentals but recommended places to see and restaurants to eat at whilst on our travels, she also booked us onto the Tiami catamaran cruise which we both thought was excellent. Altogether this was a fantastic holiday (booked through BA holidays) and I would look forward to going again. Every single staff member was helpful, polite and ready to talk to you about his or her beautiful island even the owner, as Swedish guy I think, lives in the Hotel and eats there most evenings. If you can get out and see the rest of the Island, you will not be disappointed I promise. If like me you smoke buy your cigs at the duty free in Gatwick/Heathrow/wherever as Barbados has a law that all duty free cigs and booze that are purchased on the island have to be sent to the airport for collection when you depart, a tad frustrating if you did not take any with you believe me. So to sum up, ignore the early postings, as it appears that the hotel was "under construction", take enough duty free fags to last you and enjoy a wonderful holiday at a fantastic hotel.

we love amaryllis beach resort

We have recently returned from a three week holiday to Barbados, travelling with virgin holidays. We got married when we were there and had twenty familly and friends join us. We stayed at the Amaryllis hotel, and what a fantastic time we had, the best wedding ever. Thank you Ricardo and staff. All members of our party have said they are returning to the hotel as they were so impressed, they all said there isnt a nicer hotel on the south coast,and iagree. Next year will be our sixth visit to amaryllis, we can not wait.

Good place to stay for a good price.

by MTLbroker about Amaryllis Beach Resort

20 minute ride from the airport brings you to the hotel. It is actually a complex of 3 buildings with guest rooms, there are meeting rooms for business clientele, main pool, kiddie pool, 4 restaurants on site. Front desk was friendly, efficient, genuinely willing to help. The maid service was very good and they genuinely tried to anticipate our needs. Staff in general was friendly and always greeted the guests.

If there were shortcomings, it was in the level of luxury I expected in a 4 star establishment, and in the restaurants. I thought the Almond Tree restaruant was OK, the Turtle Beach Grill was great for drinks and a quick lunch. There were 3 other restaruants on the resort complex not operated by the hotel. Pizzaz pizzeria - could not bring myself to eat there - no way. The 19th Hole Cafe - ate there the first night as we arrived very late and it was the only thing open - never again.Probably a place to go if you want to have a cigarette and a few drinks. 39 steps wine bar - probably a good bet if you enjoy wine tasting - did not get a chance to try.

I would recommend with the qualification not to expect anything luxurious. This resort is rated 4 stars, but it is probably based on the facilities, not so much the rooms. I would have to say that our room was definitely not on the luxurious side. But all that was necessary was there, a basic kitchenette, a basic bathroom. On the plus side, our room had 2 terraces, one overlooking the tropical garden, the other looking out on the beach. I'n not sure other rooms had the same setup. Our terrace was large enough to move the little table that was in our room outside with a couple of chairs, we had our own private bistro overlooking the beach. There was a pay internet service, free watersports, everything was very clean. I was disapointed in the natural sea aquarium. There were no fish to be seen. The beach itself was very clean and was probably the best feature of the hotel. Never a fight for chairs (it was low season). And the wait staff are not aggressively trying to push drinks on you.

Four star hotel/resort.

by MTLbroker about Amaryllis Beach Resort

This place was supposed to be rated 4 stars. I can't say that I agree with that assessment. I would give it 3.5 stars. I would have to deduct 1/2 a star for the condition of my room. The advertising photos on the brochure and website should be taken with a grain of salt.

It probably rates 4 stars because of the facilities. In that respect, it rates 4 stars. The site is consists of several buildings surrounding a courtyard/tropical garden. The complex is gated with 24 hr guard at the entrance of the driveway. The driveway leads to the main building that houses the conference center/meeting rooms. It also houses the main eatery Almond Tree Restaruant. There are other restaurants on site, the Turtle Beach Grill right on the beach, the 19th hole cafe, and a Pizzaz Pizzeria. The 19th hole is OK for a drink. I wouldn't eat there again. The Almond Tree has live music, but the food is pricey and not up to par. Pizzaz Pizza - avoid. The best was the Beachfront resto. Great for drinks and a quick lunch. Try the jerk chicken club sandwich.

Staff was always friendly and greeted you with a smile. They would genuinely try to make your stay comfortable. The complex was really nice. Beach was fantastic. Not many people (low season) and never a problem getting a chair. No fish in the natural sea aquarium, but there were no waves with this setup. Non motorized water sports were complimentary, but not a big variety (snorkeling, kayak, pedalos). Main pool was very nice. Also a seperate kiddie pool.

Only disappointments being our room which was a bit run down, and the bathroom was VERY basic. However, I can't complain about the view. We had oceanview on one side and garden view on the other. So that was really nice. 2 spacious terraces made up for the smallish interior.

The other disappointment, for U$100 for a meal, Almond Tree was overpriced as the food was not worth $100. For that kind of money, there are more interesting places to eat on the island for not too much more. I'm not even going to comment on the 19th Hole Cafe nor the pizzeria.

Good friendly hotel great location

Holiday 10th to 24th July 2004. We originally booked into the Sea Breeze Beach hotel but it didnt come up to expectations by a long way, so after 2 nights we got transferred to the Amaryllis Beach Resort. What a difference! These two hotels both have the same star rating but they are worlds apart. Amaryllis Beach staff are very friendly. The beach is safe due to the large artificial lagoon which jet skiers do not enter. The watersports staff are helpful, though they do try to sell their own trips a bit persistently. Nearby Hastings has plenty of eating drinking places though we were on all-inclusive. The hotel restaurant was excellent and service was top notch. The hotel could do with a proper bar to sit for a drink after the evening meal, we ended up staying in the restaurant and felt a bit out of place. Also, the bar closes about 11pm. Reception staff were always helpful and went out of their way to help when asked. Room was modern, nicely decorated and cleaned every day. Hot water in the bathroom sometimes ran out by the morning as it is solar heated. Fitness centre has top class professional equipment, one of the reasons we moved from the Sea Breeze. We will certainly stay at the Amaryllis again if we go to Barbados.

Got married there & watched the Test Match -heaven!

We stayed at the Amaryllis for the Test Match,having previously decided to get married while we were there.We found the hotel to be well up to 4 star standard,& excellent value for money.The hotel's wedding package was first class - good value for money & organised with kindness & efficiency.We had an excellent room with a large patio & a beach view,which was idyllic.However,I think one of the reasons we got such good service & such a good room was because we had booked the wedding package.We were aware that other people were not as happy as we were,being asked to relocate to Club Rockley due to overbooking,which is not really on for this type of holiday. That said ,provided they ensure this doesn't happen in the future,I would rcommend the resort to anyone,particularly if they're getting married!

Paradise at Amaryllis

Have just returned from a wonderful time at the Amaryllis. Before going to the hotel read some of the less favourable reports and was slightly apprehensive about what to expect. I need not have worried, some people will moan about anything - few hotels can afford to close down completely whilst renovations are being effected! Despite its surprising location the hotel is beautiful and definitely deserving of its four star rating. We had a 1 bedroom suite with ocean view which was simply breathtaking, there was just so much space. The staff were very friendly and helpful to us, the rooms were clean and the food was excellent. If you are thinking of going to the hotel please do not be put off by the other reviews you will love it. Everyone, guests and staff were all smiles - throughout the time we were there I did not hear one person complaining - I lie people complained that the holiday was over too quickly!! Thanks again to all the staff who made our holiday such a pleasurable experience.

Amaryllis Hotel Fantastic

We have been going to Barbados for
24 years and this was our first time
at Amaryllis and it will not be our last. From the moment we arrived to the day we departed (19 days later)
we were in heaven. The hotel has been remodeled from a good hotel to a great hotel.But most important is the staff,
the staff will bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable.The food is wonderful ,with many choices to satisfy all appetites.
The south coast location is perfect
on a beautiful clean beach,with water sports. Do not miss the beach/pool bar and restaurant, great meals and snacks.
We enjoyed our stay so much we have booked 3 weeks next year and hopefully will return this August.
Vin & Dolores

Superb location

by TripAdvisor Member p70jax

My husband and have just returned from a week at the Amaryllis to celebrate our first wedding anninversary. Initially we were disappointed as our room did not have a sea view. Also it was near the stairs and was noisy at night. However, after several requests to move, Joanne on reception sorted us out with a sea view room after 2 nights. We were also disappointed with Ricardo, the restaurant manager, as he was not available to arrange an anniversary dinner, in spite of agreeing to do this by e-mail, prior to our visit. The Amaryllis has a superb location, lovely golden sand and clear seas, very relaxing. Some of the staff were friendly but most were a bit surly and the service in the restaurant/beach bar was particularly slow, even by Caribbean standards. This was mainly due to all staff having to use one computer terminal to sort out the bill for each order, as not all guests were all-inclusive. There is not much night time entertainment, and the bar is shut by 11pm so if you require a late drink you have to go out. Fortunately the Amaryllis is located mid-way between The Gap, which has lots of bars and Bridgetown, so it is a short minibus/taxi ride to either. Overall we had a good time and would go back if we were offered the same all-inclusive deal.

Good hotels, apartments and private house

by tuamotu

Hello. Could you suggest me some good address of hotels, apartments or private house? i'd want to go to barbados island . can we find good room less than 100us$?
many thanks

Re: Good hotels, apartments and private house

by uwigrad88

Try www.barbados.org

Many many many options and selections

I've noticed the majority of Italians stay at a hotel called the Amaryllis Beach Resort on the south coast where I am a member. It's a pretty nice place if you can afford.

Ciao

Re: Good hotels, apartments and private house

by barbados-paradise

yes check: www.barbados.org and www.wheretostay.com

I am sure you will find an apartment for less than 100 US

Hotel recommendation?

by dpchase

We are planning a trip to Barbados in February. I am hoping for a hotel recommendation. There are four of us, my wife and I, and two children, 9 and 11.

The ideal hotel would be: small, clean, and quiet; on the beach, or within easy walking distance; have one bedroom suites; let the kids stay in the same room for free; have breakfast included in the room rate; be within walking distance of a couple of other restaurants; have access to a beach bar; and have some halfway decent snorkeling close to the beach.

I have looked at information I can find, and am thinking about the Amaryllis Beach Resort. I know it does not fit all my criteria, but seems to be the closest I can find. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Hotel recommendation?

by scarlettjay

the coconut court is a good one as well
let me know if you need anymore info
sandra.stubbs@tarsc.net
I have been to barbados 8 times

Re: Hotel recommendation?

by carol-henwood

Try The Blue Horizon situated at Rocley on the south coast. I have stayed at this hotel and it has family interconnecting rooms and one bedroom suites with pull out sofa in the lounge area. I stayed on a bed and breakfast basis. This hotel has a 3* rating and is only yards from a wonderful beach that is clean and not busy. There are many places to eat and they are all within a short walk of between 2-10 minutes depending on what tickles your taste buds. The hotel is small and has 70 rooms. Small swimming pool and it is very clean although as you would expect from a 3* it is not luxurious. The night life of St Lawrence Gap is only 10 Mins away and a taxi rank and bus stop is on the doorstep of the hotel. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone who wants reasonable priced accomodation in a quite location with the option for exploring and doing some of the touristy things. I used the local buses and travelled very safely into Bridgetown and other areas .

construction due to world cup?

by lilmochasmom

we love barbados especially the amaryllis hotel and would like to return again this december with friends. it will be our friends first time and we'd like to be sure the vacation is not spoiled due to construction noise. we are interested in the south coast area. anyone know where construction might be going on? thanks for your help. :)lilmochasmom

RE: construction due to world cup?

by blackbirdxx

world cup? They play for the world cup here in Germany! Right now!!

by qaminari

They are talking about the WGC (golf) world cup being held in December - it would be a bit late if they are still building for that in December - and/or the cricket world cup that is to be held in 2007, I thought they were only reconstructing the Kensington Oval for that.
Current reports seem to be mixed without mentioning construction work http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147266-d278091-Reviews-Amaryllis_Beach_Resort-Christ_Church_Barbados.html

by lilmochasmom

sorry about the mix-up, i was referring to the cricket world cup. we were told by several locals that many hotels are adding rooms onto their properties and new hotels are being built to accomodate everyone.

by Sunniebgi

Except many things to still be under constructions for the Cricket World Cup in March/April 2007. I don't think there is to much construction going on at the moment right in that area. having said that, they just tore down some local houses just up the beach from Amaryllis to build some condo type place (really too bad..) but not sure when or if they will be in progress at that time.

come and enjoy.