3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Priceline.com Orbitz.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Cat1976's Profile Photo

It's definately pink!

Travelled to this hotel shortly after 9/11 so it was extremely quiet.

It is a very large hotel complex (1km in length) comprising of a number of old plantation houses running alongside the beach.

The buildings are painted pink and each room has it's own balcony / terrace.

There are plenty of bars outside the front of the hotel, as well as internet cafes, restuarants and handy shops.

Unique Quality: The staff are very friendly and the steel drum music we had playing each day by the pool (when it wasn't pouring with rain) really gave the hotel a nice feel, and really made you feel like you were on holiday.

The beach in front of the hotel is gorgeous, with some of the whitest sand I have ever seen.

Directions: St Lawrence Gap

More about Southern Palms

Southern Palms Beach Club

by marleytwins about Southern Palms Beach Club

We stayed at the Southern Palms for 1 week in Nov 07, and had a really lovely time. The hotel is on an amazing uncrowded beach and is across the road from a few nice restaurants (We were daily customers to the Barbados Pizza Hut and Grill).
The hotel staff are very friendly, but maybe slightly unaccustomed to Western habits etc.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, but could be slightly more sound-proofed (We could hear our neighbour in the shower every morning!).
We stayed in room 138 and practically hosted the weekly rum punch party on our patio so I wouldn't recommend this room if you are after a bit of privacy.
I would definitely stay here again, superb hotel and superb location.

It's Pink!

by crazy_lucky_lady about Southern Palms

Various old plantation houses, all painted pink set within grounds to form this hotel. I was travelling with 2 other girls and we were put in the furthest 'house' from reception....and as the hotel complex stretches 1km along the beach it was a fair walk had we needed assistance!

Building work outside the front of the hotel mixed with the unrelentless rain made this holiday more like a sentence!

Sunday Lunch

by joanj about Southern Palms

Following on from the previous photo of steel pan buffet Sunday Lunch :-
(above tip)

This picture shows you the dining area where the Buffet Lunch is served. You can see also the steel pan players, and a glimpse of the pool area.

There is also evening dining here, and of course breakfasts.

Sunday Lunch Buffet - with Steel Pan

by joanj about Southern Palms

The Sunday Lunch Buffet at Southern Palms Beach Club is a must:

There is a sumptuous array of food, the dining area is open to the cool breezes, and the steel pan play during the lunch time.

If you feel so inclined, you are welcome to dance on the concrete in front of the players,

I cannot supply you with prices, as of course they increase year by year, and we never went last year to eat. Everything on the buffet, the desserts are mouthwatering.

Do watch out for the birds landing on your table for food,( do not leave your food unatended if you wish to return to it, )

Booking is essential, for this popular Sunday Lunchtime feast

Paradise

I have just completed my 27th trip to Barbados staying at Southern Palms Beach Club and Resort. It is the most wonderful place to spend a holiday and I am always so totally devastated when I have to come home. The management and staff are always so friendly and so caring. Nothing is ever too much trouble for them. A lot of my friends go there every year for the same reasons I do- an idyllic holiday, stressfree in absolutely beautiful surroundings. I have seen many changes over the years but since Britta Pollard took over as manageress the whole place has taken on a whole new look with many improvements. Standards are very high and everyone works really hard. I cannot speak more highly of the place. An added bonus of Southern Palms is the beach which has nesting hawksbill turtles. To see these amazing creatures come ashore and lay their eggs is a sight which will stay with you forever. Of course to see the babies hatching is an even bigger thrill. I would recommend this hotel as a must for anyone who is contemplating a trip to Barbados. You will not be disappointed!!!!!!!!

1977 dream honeymoon

We stayed at the southern Palms in 1977 on our honeymoon. We had saved for ages. we arrived late at night and when we looked out in the morning it was like paradise, as we come from an industrial town in scotland. The staff were amazing and made us feel very special We hope to return for my 50th Birthday in 2005. I was 22 when I was here last. I'll never forget it. I hope it has not changed too much.We stayed in room 318 and loved the space. We want to book the same room next year. I cant wait!!!

Pat Mooney Clyde Coast, greenock Scotland

A week just isn't long enough!

We single ladies were in Barbados from June 29 to July 6, 2004--and we had a blast! We had the deluxe suite, which has two floors: living and kitchen on the first floor and bedroom and bath on the second floor. It was clean and tidy and large enough that the three of us didn't invade each others space. The only downside (only because I was on a cane), was that the room was on the third floor (no elevator). Reception offered to change the room for us, but I figured the exercise wouldn't kill me--and it didn't. Besides, we like being high enough up to see what's happening on the beach. We had a great view of the beach and pool from our balcony where we had our morning coffee and tea and evening rum punch with view of the sea. We opened the balcony door at night so that we could hear the waves crashing against the shore. It was wonderful! The suite was a great idea. While we initially planned to go to the grocery store to stock the refrigerator--we never made it. But it was great for keeping cold water, soda, wine and left overs from the meals we ate out.

The bar was our favorite hangout. Wow--those rum drinks have quite a punch! And we decided that the Southern Palms flying fish was the best we had on our trip. We had a chance to hear the Steel Band Orchestra, Syndicate (a top forty type of group) and the Redman (a cross between country western and calypso). Needless to say, we closed down the bar several nights while we were there. Not that we're lushes--but the company was good and we were having fun (ok, so maybe we were lushes for the period we were there).

The beach was clean and never crowded. The water were beautiful, although the waves were a bit strong. Unfortunately, I forgot to take my glasses off when I went to let the waves lap at my legs, got knocked down and lost my glasses to the see. So if you see a dolphin wearing glasses--they're mine!

The hotel is just about a block away from the activity of the St. Lawrence Gap. We walked down there a couple of nights and grabbed some chicken and hamburgers from a street vendor--delicious! We also had our farewell dinner at a resturant in the Gap--sorry, can't remember the name, but it begins with an "H"--and had a great meal.

We didn't do half the things we wanted to do while we were there. But we got in some snorkeling, a little dancing, dinner and show at the Plantation, the fish fry at Oistins and a tour around the island. So much more to see and do--a week just isn't long enough!

The best part of our trip was the staff at the Southern Palms. We made our reservations with the hotel directly through Kim and she seemed to have a good sense of what we were looking for in a room. Richard, Susanne, Anderson--just to name a few were warm and friendly--they were the best! They made us feel welcome and made our short stay very special.

If you're looking for a clean comfortable place to stay with friendly staff, not far from the action of the Gap, with good food and rum punches--The Southern Palms is the place to stay! We're hoping to return one day (after I get my new hips!)!

Fantastic!

We were skeptical of the reviews we found for the Southern Palms. Some loved it. Some hated it. I drew some inferences into the reviews I read that lead me to following a hunch. It seemed as if the negative reviews were mostly left by what might be classified as "ugly americans". The positive reviews were otherwise. We decided to roll the dice and also to be on my best behavior.

The hotel was a bargain! We loved it! It was clean. The staff were friendly, if you were. If you are an ugly american, do them, and us, a favor and stay away. I'd recommend the place to anyone else. The Barbadan people are wonderful.

I snapped some pictures that you can view at http://www.mikeoneill.com/barbados.html. They don't tell the story of all the charm of the place, but they tell a little. All of the pictures that look like they were taken form the second floor were taken from our private balcony. The beach pictures are from the Soutern Palms and surrounding beaches.

Definantly go back

by TripAdvisor Member suzyQ_29

Returned from Soutehrn Palms about a month ago and still feel depressed to be home. The holiday was fabulous. I loved barbados and the local people but Southern Palms made the holday even better. The self catering apartment that we had was large and clean and much more than we were expecting. So nice that we even stayed in and cooked dinner once or twice. The beachfront location was perfct and far too convenient for lazy days on the beach. Wonderful location at the quiet end of the Gap with a few, but more than enough, lovely restaurants to choose from. Harlequin and Picses were firm favs. The hotel bar was nice if you wanted a quiet night in. However this was the only downside. Hotel bar was very quiet and bar staff were friendly enough if you were leaving large tips over the course of your holiday. Often serving the 'big tippers' first. Bar food in the hotel was OK, but definantly wouldn't recommend breakfast. Josephines at the end of the beach or Happy Daze accross the road were great. All in all a fantastic holiday and didn't want to come home.

Southern PalmsSouthern Palms

southern palms hotel good or not?

by wakeypride

Hi everyone,
Has anyone stayed in this hotel?,any information please good or bad,plus is there anywhere nearby for cheap breakfasts etc?
thanks