4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Crystal Cove

Colony Club: The Beach

by scbelle about Colony Club Hotel

Okay, so, I took this picture from the water taxi that runs between the Elegant Hotels resorts of the West Coast (Colony Club, Tamarind Cove/The House, and Crystal Cove). And it was just about to start raining. But still, hopefully it gives you an idea of what the beach looks like! As you can see, on the right hand side of the picture, there is a shady area, and in the center, there is plenty of sun. Soooo: THE BEACH: Is along the jewel blue caribbean, with nice soft sandy beaches. Some describe them as white, but I'm from SC, and our sand is finer and whiter... Anyway, the swimming area just in front is very nice once you get past a little coral as you go in, the one to the left is excellent for snorkelling, and the one to the right has no coral so it has a smooth entry. There are a few trees to find shade, but plenty of sun as well. VERY comfy lounge chairs. Towel service, drink service, and free treats twice daily (fruit in the AM, popsicles in the PM!). A few vendors come by, but they don't hassle.

Not too big - not too small - just right .

A warm and friendly welcome awaited us on our arrival at the Crystal Cove , and set the tone for what became a very enjoyable familly holiday .

We had chosen the Crystal Cove because we were looking for a hotel that was small enough to hold the prospect of being warm and personal , yet large enough to hold the prospect of our two teenage sons meeting others of their age and to provide the water sport facillities we were all seeking . And the Crystal Cove , a low rise beach front hotel of around 85 bedrooms , fitted the bill .

We had booked our flights ( BWIA from Manchester ) and the hotel ( through a travel agent ) separately ; as the hotel is all inclusive , and food and drink in Barbados proved to be relatively expensive , the whole package turned out to be very good value for money .

The hotel runs a ( relatively ) efficient concierge services , so we were able to book a car to explore the Island and undertake other trips ; indeed the " Small Cat " trip along the cost , to snorkle amongst turtles and , as it turned out , shoals of tropical fish , was the highlight or our holiday .

The Crystal Cove is quite close to Bridgetown : this means the surroundings tend to be a little suburban , the hotel is only a short bus or taxi ride into town , and the beach is often shared with a few friendly locals . This suited us just fine .

Other plus points of note are the well maintained and lush grounds , the good food and , once again , the friendly and helpful staff .

Summing up , if you are looking for something big , or exclusive , or colonial , or even a romantic hide away --- then the Crystal Cove may not be it ---certainly not in August . But if on the other hand you are looking for something that is comfortable , friendly , well equipped and provides a very good level of customer care and service ----as well as good value --- then I suspect you will be hard pressed to find anything better .

Thoughts Are With You BARBADOS

We have just heard there is a hurricane heading toward Barbados, after spending two weeks there when our son & daughter in law were married , we had an amazing holiday. We were at Crystal Cove Hotel, are thoughts are with everybody at the hotel and Barbados, we hope they will be safe ,it is such a beautiful island. from Lynn & Mick Oakley Sandra David & Kerri & Paul

simply the best

My friend and I had the best time in Barbados and the Crystal Cove was the most chilled and friendly place I've ever been. The staff were lovely the guests were all great too kinda like one big family. Food was fab also. The hotel is also not to far from Bridgetown and St Lawrance Gap where you can have to most amazing nights out,a must to go too.
Would go back at the drop of a hat!!

A Wonderful Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member hellsbellshells

Having read mixed reviews I must say that my partner and I were apprehensive about our holiday but having just returned I can assure you that Crystal Cove is a fantastic hotel from which to enjoy your time in Barbados.

Firstly the best things..... the location is brilliant as the hotel is directly on the beach. You can take long walks on an uncrowded beach with crystal clear waters, heaven! We can recommend taking a ride on the hotels complementary speedboat to get a good look at some of the other hotels on the West Coast including the infamous Sandy Lane, where rumours of celebrity sightings will emerge during your stay at Crystal Cove!

It was a lovely surprise to realise that the pools are actually larger and nicer than they appear in the majority of the brochures and made a welcome change to the sea!! We also found the food to be excellent and spent our lunchtime at the Drifters Beach Bar, for casual buffet food of good quality, and our night times at Reflections deliberating over our choices on the a la carte 4 courses on offer, which were delightfully presented and varied.

The variety of watersports included and the service from the watersports team is really excellent, though i never quite mastered the water-skiing!

The not so great things which need to be mentioned...entertainment is subdued to say the least with a singer everynight managing to encorporate 'No Woman No Cry' and 'Killing Me Softly' - this does wear a little thin. However Saturday night entertainment is somewhat better with dancers etc... If you did want to go to some more lively events a trip to Habour Lights or Oistins is recommended.

Secondly we paid extra for a sea view - though this was only partial and not quite what I expected for the additional money paid. However some friends paid the same supplement and had a fantastic view, so it would appear that luck has something to do with it!!

Thirdly, and finally, the much commented upon service!!! Compared to other countries I have holidayed in the staff are somewhat more hardwork to communicate with! However they are polite and happy to help when asked - but do not expect a 'have a nice day' style of greeting!

So to conclude Crystal Cove was everything we could have asked for from our first time in Barbados and I feel that it was exceptionally good value considering the quality of the food and sports on offer compared with similar hotels.

Go and enjoy!!!

Wedding in paradise

My husband and I decided to get married at the Crystal Cove and had read a number of these reviews before doing so. After we had booked, more, slightly negative reviews were posted so I became slightly more apprehensive about the whole thing. With both our parents booked into the hotel too, we were very keen for this to be a good holiday. We needn't have worried.

The location is wonderful although a little far out from anything in the way of nightlife. There are more bars up towards holetown but, to be honest, we didn't feel the need to stray very often, only to meet our friends who were staying at other hotels.

It is by no means perfect, and some of the earlier reviews sum it up - the birds are a bit of a nuisance, the service can be a little slow at times etc but overall, this is a wonderful place which has a very relaxed and laid back atmosphere - exactly what we wanted rather than the sometimes stuffy feeling you can get in other all inclusives (sister hotels fall into this category).

The fact that motorised watersports are included is a fantastic bonus. But be warned, you must book the day before, as when the hotel is busy, all the slots are taken by 930am the day BEFORE. I managed to master the water skiing (unlike the previous poster ;o) which was exhilirating.

The jet ski boys, not linked to the hotel, pull up every day and try and sell you time on their skis. They could get annoying, but our best advice would be to befriend them and chat to them, they are very respectful then.

Make sure you take the water taxi to visit the sister hotels. As the other west coast hotels aren't all inclusive, take a packed lunch with you (just order it at reception) so you don't get stung for an expensive meal out! Our friends were at the Tamarind Cove - they had originally booked the Coconut Creek, but when that shut, they were moved to the TC on an all inclusive package. Service at the TC was dire - they had to wait 45 minutes to get five drinksfrom the bar on one occasion. And the staff are much less friendly, not even so much as a smile. But the hotel is fabulous and well worth the trip, the beach is less rocky than at Crystal and there is better snorkelling.

The wedding was a fabulous day and the co-ordinator, Fay, does such a good job that it is all so relaxed and taken care of that you don't have to worry about a thing. I didn't even feel nervous on the day, I just wanted to get on with it! Our ceremony was on the beach by Drifters, but the waves crashing against the rocks and the occasional speedboats and jet skis meant that our guests had trouble hearing what we were saying. The photographer was good but not excellent, but we didn't have much of a choice in that.

One sour note was that the service at our wedding dinner was appalling. We were left for 35 minutes without any water, it took 55 minutes to get some wine (when they finally brought the wine glasses) and an hour to take our order. We complained to one of the fantastic girls on reception (Lisa, she is fantastically barmy!!) and she kicked --- for us. The next morning, Fay and the Guest relations manager, Celeste, asked for our version of events and offered us compensation. They paid for our photographers package, all US$350 of it - most generous we thought. This meant we were able to buy all the extra photos we may not have been able to afford otherwise. And teh experience certainly didn't detract from what was otherwise an absolutely wonderful day.

In summary, the food is fantastic, if you make an effort with the staff, they make an effort back with you, it is a wonderful place to spend your holiday time. I hated leaving.

Fantastic

Just returned from a 14 night stay at Cove.
The Hotel facilities, the staff and the location of this hotel are all superb.
I would have no hesitation in reccommending this hotel to anyone.
If you have booked it already then you will love it.
Credit to a superb team of Managers and staff.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Laraine

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful two weeks at this hotel. The setting is stunning, facilities very good and the staff although reserved at first are very friendly once they get to know you. The birds can be a pest especially at breakfast time. Do not leave your food on the table to go to get something else as they will be pecking at it before you get back. This would be the only moan we had. Fellow guests were very friendly and we all agreed that we would like to return for another holiday here.

Superb

A wonderful holiday, staff were excellent, food great, (only problem are the birds at breakfast).
Do not understand the negative reviews but we are all entitled to an opinion.
Enjoy Barbados for what it is, a truly relaxing island, with very friendly people.
Try the Island Jeep Safari the drivers are brilliant.

Heaven on earth

What an amazing place.
We were there on our honeymoon in august and spent 10 fantastic nights there. The food was amazing, the service fantastic, the staff were brilliant, and the grounds of the hotel were beautiful. There is nothing that we would complain about, the locals are friendly, the country is beautiful and unique. We had an amazing time and we are already saving up to go back very soon. To all the staff thankyou and hope you are all ok after the hurricane.

children

by lobieloo

hi im thinking of booking a holiday at the tropical escape could you please tell me what is there for the children as i will be bringing my 4yr old daughter with me?
thankyou.

RE: children

by BajanBrit

Hi

Well Tropical Escape is part of a chain of Escape Hotels in Barbados.

In the case of this one it is on the West Coast near the lovely Beach at Paynes Bay, however, a few words of warning about this Hotel.

It is not Beachside, you have to cross the Busy West Coast Road to getto the beach. Also there is a ton of construction going on in this area at the moment. Not a lot for kids at this one either. There are better choices along that coast for Hotels, personally I like Crystal Cove which has the advantage of a fantastic Kids club, or the Almond Village

going to caribbean

by lubbyloo

My husband and i are planning a trip to the caribbean some time next year,dont know where to go? or whens the best time? any advise will be helpful.we are in our early 50s and are looking for a restful beach holiday,would like to wake up to the sound of the sea,enjoying a peaceful relaxing time in beautiful surroundings. thanks Lubbyloo

by Jojojo79

The best time of year to go is from Nov - Apr.
I personally would avoid Jun - Oct as it is hurricaine season.
The best thing to do is get a load of brochures and see what appeals to you.
If you want to know anything about any particular properties send me an e-mail, as I am in the travel industry and would be happy to help.

Joanne

RE: RE: going to caribbean

by lubbyloo

Good idea,thanks we will have a read an may be get back to you.

by bobbisides

We've been to Acapulco (water cold), Bahamas (nice, water chilly), Dominican (nice) and Cancun (water warm). So far our favorite has been Cancun. There is much to see but the water is unlike anywhere we've ever been. The most relaxing vacation so far. But yes, get lots of brochures sent to you. Makes it easier to decide to see something actually in your hands. Good Luck :) Oh and we always go Nov-Jan. Too cold here in Minnesota!!

by Puzzled

Crystal Cove is a small fully inclusive resort one of Elegant Hotels group in St James on west coast. Small and intimate. More expensive is The House same hotel group B&B only but cool!

by daveandvijal

I agree that the Cancun area is the best so far. The only thing I don't like about Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel is that it's very touristy and crowded. I personally like the Mayan Riviera. One of my favorite places is Akumal. We rented a oceanfront condo and it was very nice. Very peaceful,relaxing, and beautiful. Akumal is a small community and with a dive shop, restaurants, stores and condos. We don't like all the bars and night clubs in the cancun and surronding area. I recommend this place to anyone who like beautiful surrondings and peace and quite. Let me know if you want and more info, like where to stay, eat and shop and how to get there.

Comments