4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Tamarind Cove Hotel

Fantasic Wedding at the Tamarind Cove

by TripAdvisor Member Fre1567

My husband & I had a truly wonderful wedding at this hotel on the 13th May. We spent 2 weeks here with 14 of our friends and relatives and we all had a fantastic time. I have since read some poor reviews of this hotel and whilst I agree with the comments about the birds in Tangiers I was very pleased with everything else about this hotel.

Firstly, the wedding co-ordinator Sandra was very friendly and helpful. She really did make sure our wedding was fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. We were concerned that Tangiers had a buffet on the night of our wedding, so Sandra and the chef arrange for us to have a special menu and table service. It was in a secluded part of the restaurant and was perfect.

I have read a lot of reports about the shabbiness of the hotel. However, we had a fantastic Ocean View room, which also looked out onto the gardens. We noticed that a great deal of care was given to the maintenance of the garden. A gardener spent two days pruning and tidying it. Also, during our stay the corridors near reception were repainted, and Sasso's closed for a couple of nights for refurbishment.

I would also like to mention Ryan, the Concierge, who is a credit to the hotel. He really was the most helpful and friendly person we met during our stay.

If anyone reading this has booked a wedding at this hotel, you will have a lovely wedding.

I would also recommend room 105.

They mean "at the Tamarind Cove"

by scbelle about The House at Payne's Bay

Again, we stayed at the Colony Club, but we got the grand tour from one of the "ambassadors" at the House. OK, I really liked this place, but I should mention the big downer on this place. It is not really all that separate from Tamarind Cove--just a wing separated from TC by Daphne's restaurant (which I loved!). You'll need to see my review "The other Elegant Hotels..." to understand why this isn't a good thing, but it isn't.

That said, viewed as a stand alone place, it is really freaking cool. We took our tour after dark, and it was ultra romantic. The lighting/interior design is awesome--very contemporary, but also quite warm. Everything about it is cozy/intimate, from the wooden gated driveway, to the small but lush tropical courtyard that also serves as a lobby.

Exiting the courtyard, there is a cool bar area--the whole thing seems concieved around soft lighting and cozy nooks. This area is not closed in--with the courtyard behind it and the beach in front, it is very nice.

The pool is ultra tiny, but in a well landscaped area overlooking the ocean. The beach is not ultra impressive (lets hope they don't have the bug problem that they have down the beach), but they do have the luxe loungers and the drinks/snacks/treats beach service. They were also taking down one of those dinner bungalows--if you've seen the bachelor, you know what I'm talking talking about. Candle light, muslin tent, on the beach. Our "ambassador" also took us into two empty rooms. They were an "ocean front" junior suite and a garden view one bedroom. They were each very nice. They had redone the bathrooms very well. Molton Brown bath products are a nice touch. The beds looked ultra comfy. I particularly liked the set up of the junior suite. Very well decorated. Again, contemporary, but not so cold as Norwegian style contemporary....

All in all, this would be a very conducive atmosphere for some very hot nights... Staying here alone would be depressing, and don't even think about bringing children. While I wasn't a huge fan of the beach, I would definitely consider this for a quick romantic weeked. For a VACATION, though, I would still for for the Crane.

Rum in the Sun

by SabrinaSummerville

Our hotel, the Tamarind Cove, had a guest cocktail party which was actually a free rum party for all the guests.

They served delicious rum cocktails in rainbow colours and we drank as many as they handed us.

Oooh, tons of fun but a big big mistake. The cocktails were so pretty and tastey that we didn't realise they are sweetened with raw cane sugar syrup. I spent three full days in bed recovering, as did my ex.

OK, right, I'm blaming the sugar syrup and not the alcohol - but honestly, I was as sick as can be. Entirely my own fault, of course, and not at all the hotel's as they just put that delightful temptation in our way. Dress smartly, it's a cocktail party - but remember, if you're going to indulge the way we did, pack your most comfy old PJ's for the recovery days :-)

An Excellent Holiday

We have just come back from a 2 week stay at Tamarind Cove Barbados. I have to say I disagree totally that it is an awfull place to stay, we had an excellent two weeks, the Staff were very friendly and the food was brilliant. We had a garden view room which was fine, the plumbing was a bit iffy when we arrived but they sorted that out the same day. I would definately go back.

Relax & Enjoy

Stayed at the Tamarind Cove Hotel 19th - 24th June 2004 and had a very pleasant holiday. Contrary to reports by others we found the staff friendly, the rooms spacious and clean, the food fine.
If you are going soon try the 'Top Spot' bar across the road and tell the owner (Richard) Ian sent you.

Don't Go There

Don't go to Tamarind Cove unless you enjoy sharing your less than average meals with birds (whose excrement is everywhere), enjoy the company of rude, ignorant staff (except the concierge who was very friendly and helpful) and like getting hassled for drugs every day on the beach. We have just returned back from an 8 night stay, but were ready to come home after 3 days. The evening meals in Tangiers are dreadful (with the service being even worse) and Sasso restaurant is a joke - definitely NOT fine dining.
I found all public areas of the hotel to be dirty but I must say that our room was kept spotless throughout the day.
Very disappointing.

A Most Unpleasant Experience

My wife and I spent two weeks at the Tamarind Cove in May 2004. Our first impression when we arrived at the hotel was that it did not look to be of a four star standard, and nothing was to change our minds over the two weeks that we stayed there.
Although the room was of the standard that we had booked, the room was plain and uninspiring. It shared a small balcony between two rooms located at the top of a staircase this was furnished with a small table and two chairs. For the one night that we stayed in the room it had no hot water.
We upgraded the following day to an Ocean View Room at an extortinate rate.
The hotel describes itself as having three resaurants. One of those resaurants is outside the hotel grounds and is not covered by the meal plan. The main restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch,and dinner on alternate evenings. The third restaurant opens on alternate evenings. The main restaurant is overun by birds, they foul everywhere, it was not uncommon to see as many as six birds eating off a table. It was disgusting.

A wonderful place

We had never been to Barbados before and we had booked our holiday before I ventured into some of the reviews on this web site. To be honest they made us very nervous and we went fearing the worst.

For anyone else in this position can I put your mind at rest by saying we had the most fabulous holiday and Tamarind Cove was great and Barbados is a wonderful place to go for a holiday.

I guess it all comes down to expectations. You could choose to pick holes in very minor details at this hotel but none of the things people picked up on in the other reviews in any way detracted from our enjoyment of the holiday.

1) Yes there are some birds around at breakfast. You quickly learn to ignore them.
2) The staff are all OK - some are more friendly than others. No surprise there!
3) The beach is cleaned every morning and the 'rocks' in the sea are mostly coral!
4) Our room was absolutely fine.

Some other comments:

The watersports are excellent and it is well worth paying the extra money to go and snorkel with the Turtles. I also agree with another review that it is worth going on the Water Taxi to the other hotels.
Hire a mini moke and go round the island (can be done in a day) - make sure you go to Cherry Tree Hill where the view of the east cost is amazing.

Disappointing

Before we left for Tamarind Cove I actually read a lot of the reviews on this site and they were extremely helpful. Especially the one about all inclusive guests being booked into the hotel. My father contacted the hotel via email and was assured that the all inclusive guests would not compromise the service to the other guests. This was not the case! The bar service was extremely slow, even when all you wanted to do was pay the bill.
The staff were friendly and there were no problems there. However the rooms, although clean were in a state of disrepair. Everytime it rained the celing leaked in both the bathroom and bedroom. All in all the rooms could do with an overhaul. The view kind of makes up for it though, if you are lucky enough to get one right on the beach.
The food in Sasso restaurant was fantastic for the whole first week and part of the second until the hotel became busy because of the school holidays. As soon as it got busy, the food and the service slipped. There were no where near enough waiter/ess' and this really let the hotel down. The meals got worse and one night they brought the food out and the sauce was nearly welded to the plate, the chicken was cold and dry and the salad was warm.
After that we decided to try Daphnes for a nice meal. What a disaster! Not only did we have to send our main courses back for not being cooked, when they eventually brought them out again they were still inedible. And to top it all there was no words of apology from the manager or a goodwill gesture. Considering we paid nearly the same price as we did for a meal in The Cliff, which was a dining experience not to be missed, fantastic doesn't nearly cover it, we were surprised that their service didn't come close to that of The Cliff. The only good thing I have to say about that restaurant was the cocktails were lovely.
Nothing could have ruined my holiday in Barbados as the country is fabulous and the people so warm and friendly, however the all inclusive guests in the hotel came close. If I had wanted to stay in an all inclusive hotel, I would have picked one, and probably paid a damn site less than we did for Tamarind Cove. Supposidly it is a four star hotel, however I would be pushed to give it three.

A good holiday

We have just returned from spending a throughly enjoyable week at the Tamarind Cove celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

I have to say we were a little puzzled at some of the wide ranging reviews of this hotel before we left but we just could not believe the bad reviews could be so bad after the hotel was recommended by British Airways.

Our room had a beautiful view overlooking the beach and was certainly a good standard with clean and modern furnishing. I would certainly recommend room 332.

We felt the ambiance of the hotel was very good and the majority of their staff were very friendly and always had a smile and nearly all of them said hello as they passed you.

The food was very good in both restaurants although the only thing that does require improvement is the Tangiers restaurant which does need something doing to restrict the birds access. At first you think it is nice to see the birds around you but then notice they perch on everything including your food, water etc and you simply cannot leave you table with any food or drink on it for a moment as the restaurant is self-service. It was never a problem in the evening though so at least the meals you wanted to savour were bird-free. Sasso's food was very good. We ate out one evening at Daphne's which although quite expensive was excellent for our anniversary celebrations.

We would definately go back if they somehow screened off the Tangiers Restaurant with some silk screening or something similar.

Tamarind Cove

by steveg2

Hi
I'm about to visit Barbados for the first time. We are staying at The Tamarind Cove. Can anybody tell me anything about the hotel, any good 'days' out , or places to visit. Thanks S

Re: Tamarind Cove

by AcornMan

I don't know about the hotel you mentioned, but as far as things to do around the island I have listed several on my travel tips, so you might want to have a look there:

Enjoy your trip. It's a beautiful island

Re: Tamarind Cove

Hi There

Dont know if you have bee n to Tamarind Cove yet
but if you have you can let me know what it was like

Thanks Chefsue

Re: Re: Tamarind Cove

by steveg2

Hi There,
Not been yet, off this Friday 24th June.
Will let you know when we get back.
Regards,
Steve

Re: Re: Tamarind Cove

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. Hope you have a fab time.

regards

chefsu

by gp171080

Am looking to visit Barbados for the first time in May 2005 after some research the hotel Tamarind Cove in St James Bay has caught my eye.

Can I please have people's opinions on this hotel?

Also is May a good time to visit and can I easily scuba dive out there?

Thanks in advance

Re: Tamarind Cove Hotel

by stiab3

Tamarind Cove is a nice hotel and in a good location sorta mid-way along the west coast.

This means you'l have easy access to Bridgetown, Holetown, Speightstown.

The beach at Tamarind Cove is good. But the sea tends to be a bit busy with watersports activity . . . quite a few boats tend to be launched from the nearby Paynes Bay Beach.

Foodwise (if my memory serves me correctly), there's a pretty good restaurant on the premises . . . and then there's Daphnes.

You'll also be close to the Coach House (nice restaurant), Bombas Beach Bar, Crocodile Den (bar) . . . and a few other entertainment spots/restaurants.

I'd say Tamarind Cove was a pretty good choice.

I always think May is the one of the best months to visit. It's not so hot as summer . . . not as rainy either. And cause the main tourist season is over, prices tend to be reduced compared to January February.

Scuba Diving is easy. There are lots of dive shops. One called Maldivers (run by a fellow called Malcolm) used to (probably still does) operate from Crystal Cove (which is a sister hotel to Tamarind but a little further south). I never dove with them. I did most of my diving with Carib Ocean Divers.

There are a few good dive sites off the west coast too!

s3

PS, if you want more specific info on dive sites or anything else I'd be glad to help.

tamarind cove babados

Hi there

Has anyone stayed at the Tamarind Cove Hotel in Barbados. I have read some very varied reviews and would like to hear from anyone who has stayed there.

Just looking for R and R with good food, plenty of sun and not too many kids around.

Look forward to hearing fro you.

Chefsue