Hotels.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

More about The House

Overbooked

by TripAdvisor Member GolfLC2004

We have just returned from a stay at The House. On check-in we had to wait an hour for our room only to be told that they were overbooked. We had booked a junior suite with ocean view but were given the garden view suite. This room is horrendous - it overlooks the busy main road and its balcony is totally overlooked by the hotels corridors. The bathroom was so small that your knees touched the opposite wall when using the toilet. Having returned and talked to some acquaintances who also stayed there the same thing happened to them. It seems that they try to offload this awful room to any new arrival. When we complained we were told that there were no other rooms - they did try to get us into another hotel but it was half-term week and all the other hotels were full. It really spoiled our stay as we didn't want to spend any time in the room at all.
The service however was very good and the ambassadors very friendly and attentive. The beach area is rather small and the sunbeds are very close together. In all the hotel is too small and it does feel rather cramped when it is 100% full.

why is this so expensive?

We walked by this hotel while staying at Cobbler's Cove. It does not have a private beach, but shared it with other hotels. Their website looks much better than the hotel did in person. There didn't seem to be anything 5 star about it. We walked past most of the hotels on the island, the only two that were stunning were Crane's Beach (but the ocean was too rough to swim); and Sandy Lane.

absolutely lovely

by TripAdvisor Member desperatetorelax

my husband and i just got back from 10 days here. the hotel is gorgeous we had an fatastic view and the rooms are very chic in white crisp linen and navy blue with black and white phtos on the walls also a lovely secluded little balcony to watch the sunset on. the bathrooms are very simple marble but there are lovely little extras like molton brown toiletries that are topped up daily, the baths are very low and a bit of a tight squeeze(we had hoped for a big bath for the 2 of us to fit in) but it was still v nice. you get frsh towels and your room cleaned 2x a day. the room was very quiet and peaceful. the communal areas are very tranquil with chilled music playing and big squishy white sofas and chunky candles and citronella torches at night. its a litle scruffy round the edges maybe shabby(but clean) chic. the beach is lovely at first i thought it was a bit small but actualy its better than a huge sprawling beach packed with people, all beaches are public in barbados but we found only the house guests on this stretch unlike busy tamarind cove next door. the ambassadors were fab and wil sort out anything you want but are not intrusive. stay at this hotel if you want peace and quiet and a very romantic time.the hotel will organise a muslin tent for you to dine under the stars on the beach with your own choice of menu. the sea is crystal blue although parts are quite coraly. there are free watersports at next door tamarind cove inc wakeboarding and banna boating! the smoothy guy will bring you smothies and mineral water and 1x a day lavender oil soaked iced flannels which are a real treat. breakfast is a huge fruit platter and a big fry up with muffins or pancakes and an egg lady who will do your egg just how you like it! there is english tea at 4pm which is quite nice. next door daphnes is very nice food. watch out you clsose your patio doors as the birds will come in (masive bird phobia!) and try and nick your sugar and turn you back at breakfast and there on your plate in a flash which is a bit horrid. the house is a little oasis of calm but very close to great restuarants. my advice honeymoon here, escape from stress here. ask for andrew and miranda as ambassadors.

WE ADORED THE HOUSE!!!

My husband Darrell and I just returned from our Honeymoon in Barbados. After researching islands throughout the Carribbean and then researching hotels as well, we finally decided on The House. We couldn't have made a better choice! From the minute we arrived we were catered too night and day. We booked a Jr. Oceanview Suite on the pool side. We woke up every morning to a beautiful view of the ocean and property. Our Ambassadors, Andrew and Deliah made our stay especially memorable. From the moment we met them, we made new friends! They took us on a tour of the property while we enjoyed a nice cocktail. They explained the special treats they provide throughout the day. Beginning with a delicious breakfast, and then approximately every 2 hrs beginning at 11am they provide either Evian misters, ice cold hand towels, fresh fruit and water while you are lounging on the beach, delicious local ice cream, tea in the afternoon and appetizers at night. What fine treatment! They also had different local musicians during the early evening to enjoy while watching the sunset! The Ambassadors will make any reservations you need from snorkeling, to diving, massages, horseback riding, taxis (ask for the luxury taxi cabs), and dinner. There are many fine restaurants to choose from and The Ambassadors always made wonderful recommendations! Tracy was always accomodating for any special request! Gina, the General Mgr, walked around morning and night to mingle with guests and check on their stay. Maxine cleaned our room twice a day so we always had fresh towels and nightly turn down service. And did I tell you about the beds! What a treat! Down pillows, comforter and white 600 thread count sheets! There is also a nice library in case you forgot your book. Or an internet station to check sporting scores (my husband made me say that). Although we took a special liking to Andrew and Deliah, our appointed Ambassadors, we enjoyed and were pampered by ALL of the Ambassadors and Staff. After reading some of the negative reviews, I decided I feel sorry for those people. Some people you can do everything for and still you cannot please them. Too bad for you because we had THE TIME OF OUR LIVES!! Thanks to everyone for making our Honeymoon memories unforgettable!! Bardados is an exquisite island and the Bajan people are warm and welcoming people! We cannot wait to return! "The Wolfes"

The House...more like a Home

Both myself and my wife stayed at the house between May 12th and May 22nd 2005. We had a wonderful time and were made to feel extremely welcome - the atmosphere was classy yet relaxed and you had the feeling that you were staying at a good friend's place. The rooms were nicely layed out and the proximity to the beach was amazing (we had an ocean view room). Service was impeccable yet not stuffy or intrusive. Breakfast was amazing, especially the fresh fruits and the egg station. It was fantastic to be able to walk into the lounge after a hard day at the beach and be served a tea tray with yummy treats. I was lucky to be able to celebrate my birthday here and was thoroughly made a fuss of. All in all a fantastic hotel and can't wait to return. Would reccommend this place to everyone.

Get Married Here

My wife and I got married at the House in July of 2004. The place is beautiful, the staff was beyond attentive, and our reception dinner at Daphnies was amazing. The wedding was incredible and the staff made it absolutely perfect. I cannot recomend this hotel enough. Some of the bad reviews on this site might be due to the time of year they were traveling. We were there in the off season and didn't have to contend with crowds. We will definitely go back.

By the way, check out the small local bar across the street.

Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member kdhannah

We stayed at The House in late August 2004 and felt like royalty! The staff could not have been more gracious and attentive. They handled all of our restaurant reservations as well as daily activities. We asked questions, and they always had the answers! There was a minor blip when checking in, but all was settled within minutes. We had a beautiful ocean-facing room. I would return in a heartbeat - it was an amazing vacation. Barbados is lovely!

Babbington House by the sea

If you are thinking of going to Barbados I can't imagine you will do better than this. We spent 8 wonderful relaxing days their in May on our second honeymoon. It was perfect - relaxed, unpretentious, calming with great rooms (crisp cottton sheets, soft, plump pillows, large beds). The ambassadors were great - friendly, helpful and the manageress was the best we've seen anywhere.

When have some money and are looking for somewhere special for the two of us in England we go to this wonderful hotel called Babbington House, which is fantastic and a real treat. We've now found the perfect place outside England. The House is without doubt one of the nicest most relaxing hotels I have stayed in and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone thinking of going there.

Sandy Lane may be the bigger more prestigious address but I know where I would stay everytime.

We can't wait to go again.

A gem in the Caribbean

by TripAdvisor Member emmabil

My boyfriend and I spent 10 days at The House over New Year and loved every minute of it.

Gina and the ambassadors made every effort to ensure our stay was a wonderful experience.

The location of the hotel is great.. not far from all the fantastic restaurants Barbados has to offer.

The breakfasts are amazing - everything you could wish for, lunch was next door at the fantastic restaurant Daphne's and afternoon tea is a lovely welcoming touch as is the evian, ice creams and the lovely lavender scented cooling face towels that were distributed throughout the day.

I had the best nights sleep I think ive ever had in those wonderful beds, feather matress and amazing linens. The rooms were clean but not that modern as you would expect in the Caribbean although we were told by Gina (the hotel manager) that plasma tv's and dvd players were being put in the rooms during the next few months. Our room had a plunge pool which was great to have a glass of champagne before getting ready for our nights out.

The ambassador booked all of our restaurants and taxis each night nothing was too much trouble.

All in all we adored the hotel and will definitely stay there when we visit Barbados again.

Extraordinary

by TripAdvisor Member PRNY

My wife and I just finished our honeymoon at "The House", and have only the best to say about our experience there. The staff was fantastic, catering to pretty much all of our needs. Our "ambassadors" arranged for us the best seats in EVERY restaurant we went to on this island, even the most exclusive ones; which, we found out, is not at all easy to do. They made all of our car rental arrangements and touring trip reservations, and not once did we feel that they were taking advantage off us by booking the most expensive tours. In fact, they got us the best rates on cars and tours, as well. During our stay, the island was "shut down" for the impending hurricane warning. While other tourists we met were left to fend for themselves during this time, our hosts fixed us a basket of snacks and goodies, brought sandwiches to us for lunch and arranged our dinner in a nearby hotel; and also brought to us regular updates on the storm's path. "The House" is purely for couples, and so is the atmosphere. Candles abound, and lighting is phenomenally romantic. We highly recommend this place to anyone seeking a special place for two.

Sunbury Plantation House, BarbadosSunbury Plantation House, Barbados