Hwy 1 , Porters, Caribbean

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Fairmont Royal Pavilion

Treated like royals

by TripAdvisor Member TravelingFan

My wife and I (we are in our mid 30's) spent two of our six nights in Barbados at the Fairmont Royal Pavillion. It was an excellent experience, one which we were treated royally. We decided to splurge after staying at Little Good Harbour (another excellent place by the way). Having never been to Barbados before, and seeing the varied reviews of some of the hotels, we picked the Royal Pavillion since it consistently had good reviews. Mind you the place is pricey, particularly in high season, but the staff was extraordinarily attentive and the hotel is both welll kept and has a nice beach. It was our 1st anniversary and we were given complimentary champagne, wine and a card signed by the staff. Overall an excellent hotel - highly recommended!

Sheer Elegance

by TripAdvisor Member pippin2004

For virtually the same cost as a week room only at the Royal Pav, we could have had a garden room at Sandy lane or a suite half board at the Sandpiper.
I am so glad we chose the Pavillion. We experienced a wonderful reception by waiting staff and had a bottle of chilled champagne and fresh fruit ready for us in our room.
The rooms are all the same standard, so no matter who you are or how much money you've got everyone has the same quality room. All are fitted with fantastic marble bathrooms with both bath and huge power shower.
The bedroom itself is probably not much bigger than a standard hotel room in London, but the view is something else, the sunsets alone are worth paying extra for!
I personally requested a first floor room after reading other reviews on this site and I'm glad I did. Its great to be on the ground floor as you can simply hop over a low wall and you are on the sand. However as all beaches are public beaches, people are able to walk by and peer in, for extra privacy and security first or second floor would be a better choice.
The pool area - in some reviews I have read, people have complained about the amount of leaves in the pool - all I can say is get a grip - what do you expect when the pool is surrounded by numerous palm trees, fruit trees and many more variety of trees all of which are inhabited by birds and other creatures (including monkeys)this coupled with light breezes does inevitably cause leaves to fall off into the pool.The pool staff clean the pool practically every hour so I don't see the problem.
The staff are fantastic everyone gets treated like visiting royalty, they really cannot do enough for you.
All in all it was a good choice and if I were to return to Barbados I woudn't hesitate to ensure I had a room booked at the Fairmont Royal Pavillion.

Tatty round the ages - very poor room cleaning service

by TripAdvisor Member anyone

We have just returned from a stay at this hotel and i totally agree with the other writer about this hotel just not feeling like a 5 star hotel - certainly nothing like the 5 star hotels we normally stay in - the whole place is looking tatty and the pool was indeed full of leaves with tatty sunchairs - the rooms smell damp and we had ants in the drawers in our rooms - the room was cleaned and bed made at 4.30pm!!! (not 5 star service!) The first night we had no turn down service at all! On the plus side the breakfast and afternoon tea were good and the cafe these are served in is very pleasant, modern and clean. The most positive comment i can make about the rooms is the view which is fabulous but not unlike other hotel rooms along the same stretch. This is by no means a cheap option hotel and therefore should be of a much higher standard - it is in serious need of a total refurbishment throughout to bring it back up to 5 star standard - no wonder Sandy Lane can charge such extortionate prices because they have no competition at the moment!! We also stayed at The House on the same stay and I have to say this was not much better either - the only truly luxurious hotel is Sandy Lane but the prices are just way to high for us!!

GIve it a tweak and its superb

by TripAdvisor Member Travellingpeople

My partner and I returned from a week break in this hotel in September 2004. On arrival they had started buiding work (re-tiling the hallways) which was very loud. We were told the work would stop that day. It continued for four days. We were moved three times from the noise to a damp room back to the noise then eventually to a good room with no noise or damp. Thereafter we had a fantastic holiday. Agree the pool is tired but should be redone by summer 2005. Food was excellent in cafe bar, not terrace bar. Even during the room moves the staff were very accomodating and friendly. Beach was beautiful and views superb. Needs a little tweaking but good for price. Still got a free week next year for the incovenience.

Pure Luxury

This hotel is wonderful! My fiance and I stayed there last June29 to July 7, and had an amazing vacation. We were on the first level and I would definately ask to be on the first level if I went back. You were basically a footstep away from the beach. The higher levels you have to walk around more levels to get to the beach. The bottom makes going back and fourth from the beach to your room very easy and convenient. The water was breathtaking, and swimming with the turtles was so much fun. Be prepared to spend a lot of money though, we could not eat dinner anywhere for under $200.For a week you are probably looking at spending a good $7-$8000(hotel,air, and eating). One restaurant I can recommend is The CLIFF it is supposed to be one of the top 50 in the world and we LOVED it, and ate there twice. All in all we loved the Royal Pavillion would definately go back. We did check out Glitter Bay as well and were happy that we spent a little more to stay at the Royal Pavillion as there is a HUGE difference between the two resorts.

A dream come true

Me and my family have returned from staying at the royal pavilion on a glorious 2 weeks stay 17 september-01st October 2004,and also my enchanting wedding which was also held at the hotel. An absolute dream come true.

The staff are wonderful especially Barbara who was our wedding
Co-ordinator the thought and planning that went into our wedding by them and us was on a very large scale and the attention to detail was spot on there was a few little hitches due to the island just getting over being hit by a hurricane but it was only things like the grass being too wet to have the reception on and the lift not working to our room level.
There was some construction work being done to the hotel but after a hurricane it was to be expected it did cause a few problems with one bar being shut down and work being carried out near the toilets by the beach, but they did compensate us with free afternoon entertainment and a boat trip so when I read a review complaining about this I felt it was unfair as they did not mention what we got in return for the inconvience.

The hotel is wonderful and they all make you feel welcome nothing is too much for them, the rooms are breath taking and very comfortable. The food is a little expensive but delicious.

My family and me are going back this year (2005) and cannot wait.
Barbara has told us that all construction work has finished, :0)

Fantastic Resort!

My wife and I just returned from our trip to the Royal Pavilion and loved every minute of it. The Pavilion is a beautiful resort, staffed by kind and friendly people with an excellent attitude.

We won't pretend it is perfect, as with any resort you could pick holes with it - there are meals on the menu that aren't great, room service can be a little slow, the pool is on the small side, but all of those things pale into comparison with all the positive points.

By far the best aspect of the resort is the fact that all the rooms have the same stunning oceanfront views, just a couple of yards from the beachfront, and it it also a beautiful beach. The rooms themselves are very large, spacious and well designed, with excellent amenities.

We cannot recommend this place highly enough if you are looking for a top-class resort to relax, unwind, and enjoy Barbados.

A few glitches but could be great

We returned from a trip to thr Fairmont last September, around the time that the building works were ongoing. It would have been perfect but for the building works that were ongoing and which I understand have now finished. For the reader from Cambridge, the restaurant and building works were nothing to do with the hurricane, it was part of a general refurbishment of the hotel! We too were offered a boat trip out of the resort for a day but my girlfriend gets sea sick - not much consolation there then!

We agree that the staff were fantastic, though they seemed to be wherever you went in Barbados.

If you're thinking of staying at the Royal Pavilion or Glitter Bay, go for the Pavilion, like comparing 5 star to Butlins! Enjoy!

Yay Royal Pavilion, Boo Glitter Bay

by TripAdvisor Member starrybaby

Stayed at the Royal Pavilion in May '03. We had a ground floor room, which was so convenient to the beach; you just hop over a low wall from your lovely patio. Since all rooms are beachfront you've got that amazing unobstructed view of the ocean- awesomely beautiful during the day, so romantic at night.
The beach itself was perfect. Gorgeous sand and so tranquil and languid, despite those partaking in watersports, numerous beach vendors, etc. I thought it was nicer than Sandy Lane's, which was cluttered with leaves and too many people. Dave, on the beach staff, deserves a raise- so friendly and tireless in his enthusiasm. Loved the afternoon sorbet and chilled washcloths.
As for dining, Palm Terrace was very elegant and expensive. Dinner there on our first night was a dreamlike experience: Soft, warm, perfumed air, tropical natural beauty, ocean view. As for the food, it was good, but a tad fussy. It was more about the total experience.
The breakfast buffet was reliably tasty, which was good since most other choices were a taxi ride away. And don't forget to go to afternoon tea! Since you're paying through the nose for most meals in Barbados, make sure you take advantage of this snack that's included in the room rate.
Bridgetown was about a 20 min walk, but I wouldn't recommend walking unless you're a tad adventurous, as there is no sidewalk part of the way. Mostly we used the overpriced taxis to get around, but one time we did take the public bus which was cheap, entertaining and a chance to rub shoulders with everyday (vs. staff) people.
The resort overall is really quite small. While RP guests have use of all Glitter Bay's facilities, this sister property was unimpressive to say the least. Honestly, Glitter Bay was borderline gross. All public areas were in dire need of a spiff-up. So glad we chose Royal Pavilion instead- there was really no comparison.
The staff were really friendly and helpful. The rooms and bathrooms were immaculate and fresh. The beach and gardens spectacularly beautiful. Vibe was easy, casual, but with high standards.

Best Hotel to enjoy the Barbados sunset

by TripAdvisor Member mollina01

We stayed here in October 2004 for 10 days and although we had a few teething problems with our room (noisy air con) we had wanted a top floor room as these have the best views of the sea and beach but the noisy air con meant we had to be moved. We ended up in a 1st floor room which was great, it was just a pain having unpacked having to waste an afternoon waiting for the room to be done etc etc and when you are only away for 10 days it annoys.
Breakfast was sumptuous and all food was lovely especially the complimentry afternoon tea(!) which is worth putting some clothes on and leaving the beach for ...but we found the restaurant a bit quiet and stuffy in the evenings for our tastes , but this was because it was out of season..Taxi to Holetown soon sorted that.
Staff were great and very friendly.
Pool was small but again as it was quiet didn't really matter so much. The beach front is wonderful and they have a small pontoon you can swim to and watch the sun go down. Bliss.
Good hotel and good staff so overall would recommend.

Comments