New Edgewater Hotel

Bathsheba Beach, St. Joseph, Bathsheba, Barbados, Caribbean

Good For No Data
  • Greggor58's Profile Photo

In a Word...Rustic.....but GREAT Sea Views..

This hotel was one of the FEW hotels that responded to my requests for a one night stay...I was transiting through Barbados and not staying on the island more than one night each way, north and south transits.

This quirky hotel that sits on the top of a cliff side that faces the Atlantic Ocean has definitely seen better days in some respects and its "Glory Days" are certainly from the "days before".

The location is certainly out of the way and requires a bit of a journey to get here BUT...the views that the hotel provides are in my mind nothing short of stupendous and I TOTALLY enjoy the rustic feel of this hotel.

It wasn't busy during my brief stopovers here and it was quiet except for the howling wind coming in off the Atlantic Ocean.There were not many guests staying here.

The room that I stayed in was decorated with older mahogany furniture and was overlooking the vacant pool area. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was large and comfy, french doors opened onto a small balcony.The washroom was clean and the shower provided nice hot water.

The Wi-Fi was somewhat sporadic but in my situation having access to the internet was not a priority.Not an unusual feature by any means but there was a television available in the room.

The interior area of the dining area and bar is in kind of a shambles. the roof leaked and the whole area was kind of grungy and badly needs to be refurbished.

The exterior dining area is rustic and simple but the amazing view of the coastline is really what this hotel is all about and this dining area provides that view!

A simple Continental breakfast is included in the price of an overnight stay and it consisted of breads and cereals and fruits and juice, all the usual I suppose.

Unique Quality: Getting here is about a $ 40.00 taxi from the airport in Bridgetown. This area of Barbados is somewhat remote but IS serviced by public transport.

As Ive mentioned this hotel is all about the location and the tremendous views offered up of the Atlantic Ocean smashing into land and the ease of accessing some incredible natural beaches.

Im not so sure that I'd stay here again given the condition of the hotel overall and the challenges its location presents in getting here.

I did like the fact that the hotel wasn't busy and for the most part was extremely quiet and relaxing.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

North of the Soup Bowl

I booked a double river-side over the internet which allowed us to have a discount. We had breakfast included and the owner arranged for a car rental for us. The pool was shaped like Barbados. It was a nice pool, and I swam in it a couple of times. The room price included a continental breakfast every morning.

The rooms on the west were called 'river view'. The wing on the east side were more expensive because it was ocean view. But really, we could see the ocean across the pool. We could walk from the pool down some steps onto the beach.

The door to our room opened onto a covered deck (photo 5) from which you could see the "river". It was a bit smelly. There were stairs down to the main floor.

Unique Quality: The bed was quite large (photo 3), and the bathroom had a shower. The room was air conditioned, but at that time of year we didn't use it much. There was a radio (photo 4) on a shelf next to a wardrobe. This was a reproduction radio as it had the capability of playing audio tapes. We did listen to the radio quite a bit included listening to live sports broadcasts (cricket etc), and also the reports of the parade held in celebration of 30 years of independence for Barbados.There was a phone in the room but the TV was down in the lounge near the front desk.

Comments