Tent Bay, St. Joseph, Bathsheba, Barbados, Caribbean
Booking.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

More about Sea-U! Guest House Bathsheba

Wonderfully peaceful and relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member jaffam

It is very hard to fault this place as it is such wonderful value for money. The accomodation is very spacious and well-furnished, the food is excellent, the hosts are very helpful and friendly and to cap it all, the view is to die for. My wife and I had one of the best holidays of our lives staying here for 10 days recently, and we have stayed in plenty of 5 star hotels!

The surrounding scenery is stunning and if you want to dive, snorkel or eat in one of the stunning West Coast restaurants, you need only drive for 20-30 mins on quiet roads. Recommended without hesitation.

you can't go wrong

While I feel it is necessary to tell you all the wonderful things about the Sea-U and it's owner, Uschi, I feel that I would be making my life harder. See, I know that I will be back, again and again. My girlfriend and I planned a trip to Barbados to get away from the stress of our jobs. Living in cold cities, we found a magazine blurb about the Sea-U. The review said it was a hidden gem. Well, we all know how the term 'hidden gem' can mean just about anything. So, on to the website; very very nice. Well, we were on a bugdet, and made the decision to book it. We were originally in room 5 for one week. My girlfriend was the smart one, and realized that there isn't much to do on the East side of the island where the Sea-U is located. So, I contact Uschi via email and ask to change the dates so we can stay on both sides of the island and really get to know Barbados. No problem, however, room 5 is gone. Alright, I say, we'll take room 7. I must mention that doing this showed us two things; first, we booked in December, online. Nothing could have been easier. Uschi was in constant contact with us, even sending us a Christmas and New Year email. How wonderful. Everything was simple and oh so friendly. The second was that no one else will do this. No, they won't. I ffelt like they couldn't do enough for us. The second hotel we stayed at was horrible. The second we checked out of the Sea-U, we whis we hadn't. Plus, while the west side is nice, the Sea-U is close enough that renting a car and driving won't hurt. Sure, it'll be confusing and a little difficult at first, but by the second night of us driving around, we were having a blast. Anyway. I will be honest, the Sea-U is not for everyone. The atmosphere is overwheleming relaxed. You have to sign up for dinner (best food I'd had in a while), there is a honor bar (serve yourself), hammocks and a few lounges dot the yard. We found that the East Coast was the perfect place to stay at. There are enough restaurants and bars to keep you occupied. The water was stunning (don't go too far out, it's used mainly for surfing). The views unparalled. Breakfast everymorning (except Sundays, dinner too). Oh, back to the rooms. All of them are beautiful, but if you have a chance, grab 7 or 6. They are set apart from the rest of the rooms and are bigger. You can even join the two together. So, to make a long story short (too late), you just can't go wrong with the Sea-U. Go there, stay there; just not when I'm there.

Fantastic Escape

Having decided on Barbados for our holiday this year, my wife and I chose Sea-U because all the reviews we read said it would be a glorious get-away-from-it-all place - and it was. How could you better a hammock in the garden with a great view (including the monkeys and Mongeese?) and a good book? And as for being lulled to sleep by the ocean a hundred yards away - priceless. The room was great, the food sumptuous and the hospitality from Uschi and her team absolutely unbeatable!
We are garden lovers and having Andromeda just up the road was a great bonus. However, Uschi arranged a vehicle for us at a good rate and we were able to tour the island easily - and it was always a pleasure to return to the relative peace of Bathseba and Sea-U.

A real gem

by TripAdvisor Member hsj

We loved Bathsheba - and we loved Sea-U. Unfortunately when we tried to return the following year Uschi was full - and we made the mistake of staying at the Round House - but thats another story! Yes it wont be for everyone - but if you like real Barbados, informality, chilling out - this will be for you.
But not too many of you please otherwise Uschi will put her prices up and we wont be able to get in!
The communal dinners are also a great treat - talking to other guests - surely not!
Uschi please don't change it!

A magic place

“If I would own the paradise and the “Sea-U”, I would have let the paradise and live in the “Sea-U”! Uschi, the German owner of the “Sea-U” must have let the whole paradise. Fortunately she offers additional apartments in her heavenly guesthouse “Sea-U”. The Paradise? Forget about it!

The “Sea-U” is located at the rough east coast of the island near Bathsheba above Tent Bay in a small dead end street. There are seven apartments available: Five in the main house and apartment no. 6 and no. 7 in an adjoining building where my wife and I have spent seven wonderful days.
Every apartment has a veranda with a magnificent view into the garden and to the Atlantic Ocean. With a little bit of luck you can see the shy Green Monkeys (best in the early morning), a Mungo or a Hummingbird. Don’t chase away the funny, small Geckos which come out in the evening, they prefer mosquitoes for dinner!
Don’t care about the kitchen equipment of your apartment – enjoy the delicious evening dinner in the company of people from all over the world. It will be served in a nice pavilion in the garden. Listen to the Atlantic Ocean and the rustling of the palm trees. Three courses will be served, e.g. salad and flying fish, chicken with rice and peanut sauce, ice-cream. Enjoy!
After that you can have a cool drink or two. Wine, “Banks” (the famous Barbadian beer), a delicious home-made rum-punch or soft-drinks, you can get what ever you like. Even champagne is available. If you prefer to be on your own just take the drink to your apartment and relax in the hammock reading a book or listening to the cricket’s concert. America, England, Canada, Germany – or where ever you may come from – seems to be light-years away.
Uschi and her friendly crew take care for everything: You want to rent a car? Ask Uschi! You’re looking for a restaurant? She knows where to go! You’ve got a sun-burn? Uschi will show you the way to Dr. Forde!

You like bars, discos and entertainment? Take my advice and keep away from Bathsheba and the “Sea-U”. You will be happy in Oistins or St. Lawrence Gap. If you really want to relax from the hustle and bustle at home and in the job, the “Sea-U” is the right place for you.
But beware: This place is magic! If you ever have been there – even for a few days – it will enchant your heart so you are forced to come back for ever and ever again!

CU at the “Sea-U”!

Glorious

by TripAdvisor Member foodandwhisky

Sea-U Guesthouse managed to achieve a wonderful balance between luxury and informality. No cheap or tacky tourist trap this, but nor was it too glitzy or posh - no golf courses or marble swimming pools. We almost felt as if we were personal guests of Uschi, although all the comforts and luxuries of a good hotel were there. The whole atmosphere was wonderfully low key and relaxing and we felt completely at ease. We found Sea-U to be beautiful, comfortable, peaceful and welcoming.

The rooms are air-conditioned, but we almost never turned our air-conditioning on. The breeze from the Atlantic through the louvered windows was sufficient to cool us. This traditional but effective approach to comfort characterised Sea-U.

We had decided to marry in Barbados in order to avoid the fuss and stress of organising a big wedding at home, and indeed fuss and stress were completely avoided. The marriage was perfect!

Beautiful guesthouse in lovely part of Barbados

by TripAdvisor Member BarryCam

We spent the last three nights of our honeymoon in the wonderful Sea-U guest house in Bathsheba. Our room (no. 7) exceeded our high expectations and the house/gardens were also perfect. Uschi was a great host and made us feel very comfortable there. Breakfasts were very good and we enjoyed a lovely dinner with the other guests on our last night. Bathsheba is ideal for surfers but non-surfers can really enjoy the rock pools on the beach in Bathsheba and down the coast in Bath. I'd also highly recommend a visit to the botanical gardens nearby. The Round House is also a lovely place to relax and have a drink or good food. I would highly recommend Sea-U - its peaceful, romantic and in an amazing setting!

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member DTD

If you want to totally chill out this is the place. Fabulous garden, hammocks, views of the sea etc. Sea-U is exceptionally good value too, the rooms are ok, nothing fancy but perfectly adequate.
Bathsheba was great, particularly the red rum shack just down the hill. People are very friendly. Roundhouse was quite expensive for food but the music was good and the place near the rum shack was excellent on Sunday evening.
You need a car while you are here. Uschi arranged for us to pick a moke up at the airport. The moke was really fun.
Overall, if you are in Barbados and want to escape for a few days to the 'wild side' or just don't fancy smart hotels, this is the place for you.

Sea U was fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member moondrops

We stayed at the Sea U Guesthouse in Bathsheba for the second week of our honeymoon. The little guesthouse seemed a bit simple at first, but it seems that over one day we fell in love with it. After travelling to almost every other part of the island we looked forward to coming back to the breezes, the open roads and the beautiful views on this side of the island the most. The owner is so nice, as is everyone that worked on site. The porches have a breeze that invites you to sit for hours and visit with other travellers. There are hammocks strung all over the garden area that are perfect for laying about! The guesthouse has a wonderful setting and you can see the water, although the view is through palm trees and tropical vegetation...we loved it! You can also walk to town down a hill that has a magnificent view of the surf, beach and homes in the hills. There is also a great coastal trail right at the end of the road to the south that goes to Martins Bay and Bath. Dinners were a bit expensive, but were absolutely wonderful and a lot of food! You simply make a reservation and eat under a lovely wooden structure with lanterns. Otherwise you can walk to town and eat. Snacks and drinks are available on site, as is breakfast.

Although the beaches are not great for swimming on this side of the island, there are magnificent tide pools that you can sit in and watch the waves crash on shore. They are on the north end of the beach and a lovely walk from Sea U. The surf is also great, and there are always people surfing here. What a refreshing place to call home after the chaos and resort filled roads of the west coast!

Market stallsMarket stalls

Stamp on our hotel bill 1996Stamp on our hotel bill 1996

Closeup of the rocksCloseup of the rocks

Beach from the  shoreBeach from the shore

Comments