Grand Barbados Beach Resort

Carlisle Bay, Aquatic Gap, St. Michael, Bridgetown, Barbados, Caribbean

More about Grand Barbados Beach Resort

Choosing a place to stay....

by searcher68 about The Grand Barbados Beach Resort

While the rooms were not what I expected, they were cleaned daily and the hotel management was VERY nice.

I wish it was an all-inclusive resort and it was more of a "hotel" (tall building, we were on the 7th floor) rather than villas (single story/floor compound). It is difficult to determine this from looking at web sites.

I felt that I could have spent my money more wisely by choosing a more expensive all-inclusive resort. I felt that by having to pay for EACH meal I was being "nickle and dimed" for every cent (kopeck, pence, etc) I had.

I guess what also made me feel this way was the fact that Barbados has a "departure" tax. I felt that by visiting I helped their economy enough and I should not be taxed to leave!

Overall it was nice. I must warn you about the sun in Barbados. It is VERY hot and my fiance had a bad sun burn by the 2nd day. She is from Omsk, Siberia (Russia) where the sun is not as intense during the summer. If you are from a similar climate use sunscreen with a MINIMUM spf rating of 30. She was using sunscreen with an spf 10 rating. The beach was very nice. This hotel is located where the waves are low. There is a deck and pool next to the beach and a few palm trees if you decide to stay out of the sun sometimes.

The hotel staff were very nice and helpful!

The Grand Barbados Is very...

by airbus_330

The Grand Barbados Is very nice .. Situated next the St.James it is very nice and there are no dangers here apart from drug sellers!!!
120$ per night

PICOF MYSELF NEXT TOT HE CRICKET PITCH NEXT TO STJAMES The sea and resturant it is amazing the star quality
is 4*+!!!!

Tour By Taxi

by grandmaR

Taxis are also available. They are unmetered and fares are fixed by the government on the basis of distance. Our plane was delayed, and the dispatcher at the airport put us into taxis on the basis of first come gets the next cab. The taxi driver did not want to take us all the way out to Bathsheba at that hour of night, but the dispatcher prevailed.

Some sample fares between the Airport and
Any point North of Speightstown $55.00

Paradise $12.00

Between Bridgetown Harbor and:
City Centre $ 6.00
Deacons Road $ 6.00

If you hire a taxi for a sightseeing, be sure to establish in advance what the cost will be.

Paradise on Earth

by shamane

I have traveled 2x's this year to this wonderful place, each trip very different, however the Bajans are always the same friendly, down to earth people. Stayed at the Grand Barbados Beach Resort the first time, a so so hotel, in a great location between B'town and the Gap. Syayed at the Yellow Bird hotel in the Gap 2nd trip. Great location 5ft from the bus, beach, clubs and resturants. all suites are oceanfront and great price for the bay view. $70-$120 US. I just wish the reggae club would turn off the music after 3am, makes sleep a little tough after a long day at the beach and clubs. The show at the Plantation is the best all inclusive value and night out, for the history of African culture and dance. I was so sorry to see Brown Sugar resturant burn down and I hope that they will be able to rebuild. It's one of my favorite places to eat, besides Oistens Friday night Fish Fry, a must Do for Barbados. Please go shopping at a Bajan owned craft & jewelry shop in B'town located on Canary Lane & St George St. named "Shamane". I like traveling on the bus and finding my own way around a place and Bajans are always helpful with directions, even took the bus to Harrison's cave. Do visit Carlise Bay Beach on Sundays, It's a local favorite after Church. I've been to several other Islands and Barbados calls me back, might have something to do with it being the island closest to my Motherland Africa.

The Beach at the Grand Barbados Beach ResortThe Beach at the Grand Barbados Beach Resort

Customs and ImmergationCustoms and Immergation

St Mary's ChurchSt Mary's Church

Cathedral Choir StallsCathedral Choir Stalls

getting to the Cruise port

by cottonwood

I'm sure I'll figure this out when I get there being that I'm arriving the day before I get on the ship, but just to satisfy my brain, it looks like the cruise port is at the north end of bridgetown. How easy is it to get to it from the south end of town? I'm getting on a cruise ship on a sunday, do I need to know anything about the traffic, taxi's, etc. for a typical Sunday?

by Craigellachie

Assuming ththat by south end of town you mean still in town and not the suburbs - well if it wasn't for your luggage it might even have been walking distance. It'll be an easy taxi tourney which you can sort out when you get to your hotel. Do prebook the taxi the night before to be on the safe side as there may be fewer working on a Sunday (that would certainly be the case on St. Vincent, which I know better than Barbados).

by Jamesr3939

We sailed from Barbados last year and stayed on the far east side of the island at Crane Beach two nigths prior. Traffic in and through downtown Bridgetown is heavy. It might be a little better on Sunday. I think we drove it on a Wednesday mid-morning. Even then it only took us about 45 minutes from the time we left the hotel to the cruise port. Good thing is you have hours of check in time at the cruise port so it's not like you are trying to make a flight.

There are plenty of shops and places to eat if you get there to early and can't get on board. They have a holding area for your suitcases so you don't have to lug them around the terminal.

by Sunniebgi

I would suggest that you ask the hotel to arrange transport for you from the hotel to the port. There will be taxi's running, but you may want to make sure you have one as a guarantee rather than just relying on one showing up.. Sundays are not too bad through town so you should have a problem getting to the port.. from the South Coast, I would say no more then a 20min ride.. if that..

by bajangirl

Sunday traffic is easy especially in that area. If you are boarding early it would be prudent to book your taxi the night before, but you can query that when you check-in on arrival at your hotel - they are usually pretty good at knowing what is best for that sort of thing.

by cottonwood

another curiouse question about the local taxi's, do they take american currency or do they like being payed in the barbados dollar? I'm staying at the Allamanda Beach Hotel the night before I board the cruise ship there in Bridgetown. Just wondering.

by Jamesr3939

They take US and the conversation rate is fixed at just about 2 to 1, so it is really easy to figure out. That is one USD = two barbados actually I think it is like $1.98, but close enough.

Comments