South Gap Ocean Hotel

Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

More about South Gap Ocean Hotel

Great value

We stayed here October 04, rooms are clean, spacious, everything you would want in a self catering holiday. excellent value, hoping to get booked here for New year. Location fantastic if you want to stay in the gap. However what has prompted me to write a review is the comment on Aug 11 04 from a trip advisor user who gave it a terrible rating....... this is a very similar if not the same comment I read from "a trip advisor user" reviewing the Pirates Inn in Barbados, which stopped my daughter booking there! Does someone out there want to keep Barbados all to themselves? Have never met after 4 visits anyone unhelpful in Barbados.

The right choice for us,small is beautiful.

by TripAdvisor Member rola

Having just fully recoverd from a wonderful two week stay at the south gap ocean hotel in march we have to say this was a ideal place to stay if you want to have everything from food to the bank on your doorstep. This small an freindly hotel is most welcoming, we had no problem engaging the staff, all were approachable from the manager to the wonderful cleaning ladies(no sour faces here).we stayed in the superior studio located on the pool deck and for 14 days was captivated by a truly unforgettable veiw of the caribbean sea, to see this every morning alone was worth half what we had paid.
The rooms are kept spotless,cleaned everyday(this is a first for us)everything in our studio worked, we did have a slight problem with a light switch but this was rectified, the layout with a seperate bedroom is well worth the extra money, the fridge was huge,the bed very comfortable.we dinned at restaurant- very good - tasty fare, bajan and some other caribbean islands national dishes but also a good choice of snacks, dont forget to attend the managers cocktail party, a good chance to meet the staff and when we were there a fair amount of really nice people,a special word for richard( barman ) great cocktails and the best barbacued steak i have ever had.This to date is my partner and myself best holiday, if you want to have a relaxing time and also be close to the nightlife with all the choice of good restaurants or the street food which may i say is exellent. this is a great location,it was over first visit to barbados and it wont be our last you can see why some people go every year and i dont mean the rich and famous, this hotel is good value for money, yes some things are in need of lick of paint and updating but thats what you would expect if you paid silly prices -we didnt. Finally the last word to the people of barbados we are well travelled 50s and have never met such nice people,thats why were coming back soon.

amazing!

It was a brilliant hotel and all staff were very helpful. The rooms all have gorgeous views from the balconies out onto the beach and were very clean and well kept. Everything we needed was within walking distance and all the locals were very friendly too. I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing,chilled out holiday.I strongly recommend a trip on a catermeran boat to swim with the turtles it was fantastic!

South Gap was Great!!

This is a wonderfull hotel in a wonderfull location. When my girlfirend and I first arrived we were greated by the receptionist with a big smile, and an enthusiastic 'Good afternoon'. To me, a first impression is very important, and after that greeting, I was sold, I decided to stay here before I new the rates. When I heard the rates, I was even happier. The room was spacious, clean, and had a great view of the sea. I love the sea so this was perfect. One would normally see housekeeping in the background who would say a little hello as you pass. Not at south gap, even they were enthusiastic to meet us. They would say hello and ask if the room is to our liking, and added if there was anything we needed, just feel free to ask. Great customer service! The receptionists could answer our every question, about the hotel, night life, and the town. They even helped us get a reservation for a Safari tour which was a great adventure, definitely a must do for visitors to the island.
Checking out was swift and just a pleasant as when we arrived. This sort of positive attitude and I say again, great customer service from staff made us feel very welcome, and welcome to return again. And we will, thank you so much South Gap Ocean Hotel.

alright budget hotel could do better

Firstly, I would like to start with the positive. This hotel is close to all the night life,if this is why you are going to Barbados. Great entertainment all within 200m of the Hotel lobby. The view is wonderful but it is oceanside with a very rough undertow no swimming. The rooms were clean and cozy as is befitting a economy class.Tried the restaurant and found it ok for the price. Rooms were cozy and clean, kitchen was workable but only tried breakfasts. Busses were a short walk and had no problem getting around.

It is the West Indies so I will try to be kind here. My wife and I travel quite a lot so I believe that I have some good comparisions. Firstly although my wife found the staff friendly, I found them uncooporative in dealing with any issues concerning money or information. A simple example to give you an idea. I asked our morning reception were to get a coffee to take out. She had no idea and suggested that I buy some at the local store, even though there was a coffee hut a 5 min walk away. The pool was good but the pool side was small and cramped with more than eight people on it. There are about 5 nite clubs across the street all competing for your business in sound level and soliciting so be warned it is quite loud after 10:00 pm.

Some good restaurants in the area, Del Sol was my favorite but all in our party of four didn't agree. Pricing for food was expensive looking at between 15-80 US per person, but I guess it is an island.
BE FIRM BUT POLITE WITH THE LOCAL STREET MERCHANTS AND PANHANDLERS and be aware that the south side surf is very rough with some strong undertows. If I were to go again or reccomend it I would suggest a person look more to the west coast for calm water and quite atmosphere. Or closer to dover beach away for the gap so you would not be constantly harried by street vendors

Bottom Line not a bad Stay but would not go back to the South Gap, good sights nice beaches, found some of the locals in the south stand-offish.

When you go to Barbados by all means the first thing I reccomend is contact Ted's Tour for your first full day it starts at 09:30 and goes till 0%:00
with lunch included. Best thing I did, taking us around the Island, in a relaxed and Air Conditioned tour that was visually amazing and entertaing.
Also try the snorkelling tours on one of the Catamaran tours. Check out timings early so you can plan to see it all.

Extremely happy with South Gap

My stay at South Gap was excellent. I chose this hotel as the place where I would spend my 50th birthday. Service was of the highest quality, the front office staff are the best and the Manager Virginia is out of her mind! She gave me a pleasant and unexpected surprise of a lovely Fruit Basket on my birthday. That was wonderfully appreciated. The view from my room was EXACTLY as I wanted it for my birthday as I awoke from bed; the sky and sea kissing each other at the horizon with no obstruction in between! And sparrows and doves greeting me each morning to join me for breakfast on the balcony as I gazed relaxingly into the Caribbean Sea!! Oh Lord!! Breathtaking indeed! Wish I could have stayed longer. You bet I'll be back!

a bit noisy

by TripAdvisor Member louise12399

stayed at this hotel from april15th 2005 for two weeks. view was gorgeous from the balcony but we stayed in a one bedroom apartment and it did not resemble the pictures in the brochure or website. the whole place could do with a lick of paint but saying that it was very clean and the staff were very friendly and polite. Our room was next to the 24 hour slots bar and straight across the road from the after dark club which played live music or karaoke outside every night so it was difficult to sleep! overall i would reccomend this hotel as it is verycentrally located but dont expect to get much sleep.

Terrible!!

We have just returned from a one week stay in Barbados and booked into the South Gap Ocean , it was reasonably priced so we did not expect total luxury but we were never prepared for what we found. When we arrived we were upgraded for one night into a superior one bedroom apartment which was ok had a lovely view but the bedroom was a little damp. The next day we were asked to move into the deluxe room we had booked. This was to be our last night in this hotel!!!!! Room by poolside was dark and damp, lights did not work, cooker did not work, Door did not lock properly, shower curtain unable to close due to the slime build up along the bottom of the curtain, bathroom tiles in shower covered in mould, roof leaking, to finish it all off cockroaches in the kitchen sink!!!!! I know you pay for what you get but no one pays to live in amongst this filth!!!! We packed our bags after two nights and moved to a hotel close by which was like paradise in comparison!!!! Never again!!!!

great at the gap

This is a good hotel in a great location. When me and my wife arrived we were greated by the receptionist with a big hello then shown to our room and then told of the delights of the island (even though we have been there for 4 years running). The room was clean, and had a great view of the sea.
i like the night life and the atmosphere round the bar, so the staff here were great, getting to know you by first names and letting you join in with conversations, even bringing food "delicacies" from their homes to try.
how is that for friendliness.
great staff and service, i will be returning.

great staff

This is a lovely clean and friendly hotel, right in the centre of all the nightlife. Not suitable if you have young children, unless you book a more exspensive room at the back of the hotel away from the noise. ( It can go on 'til at least 4am !! ) Food in the restaurant is reasonably priced for hotel food and delicious. We have stayed at the hotel twice, once in 2003 and once 2004. The staff all remembered us and greeted us with warmth. When we returned in 2005, we popped in to see everyone, the hotel had been painted freshly again and was still looking great. The staff were mainly the same and we were greeted warmly. Top marks!! If DION is on reception, you will get the best service avilable. Very professional. !!

advice needed - where to stay

by doctorleo

It's a banal question, where to stay in B. for romantic getaway?
I've been searching the Internet and I cannot stop at anything - one place seems to be better than another.
We cannot aim for a luxurious hotel, rather an intimate small hotel or a guest house.
This is what I fetched so far:
Bewitching Barbados
Sea-U Guesthouse
Baywatch Resort South Gap Hotel

I appreciate your advice!!

RE: advice needed - where to stay

by Sunniebgi

not knowing when you plan to come or how much you want to spend, I would like to recommend Little Arches for your romantic getaway. www.littlearches.com. They are an adults only (over 16yrs old) hotel on the south coast and while not directly on the beach, a 2 second walk to the beach is all you have to enjoy a swim in the sea.

think about it.