Crane Beach, Bridgetown, , BB 18079, Caribbean

Costs 57% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Crane

Crane Beach Rental Home

by spencercampbell about Kincloch House - www.barbadoshouse.com

I have stayed several times at Kinloch House (www.barbadoshouse.com) which is located at Crane Beach in Barbados. Crane Beach was ranked as one of the top 10 beaches in the world by a MacLean's survey. I am not sure about that but it is a stunning beach complete with cliffs, medium surf (not to rough or calm).

Kinloch House is one row away from beach front property - about a 3 minute walk to the beach. It is a simple, clean and lovely home with maid service and ...... plenty of wind conditioning. We love watching the amazing star scape from the upstairs porch and going to sleep listening to the crashing surf.

While it does have maid service (Tina - very friendly and pleasant) it is not a hotel. However, the big drawback in Barbados is incredibly expensive restaurants. As such, we do eat out but appreciate having a complete kitchen to cook when we want. Kinloch rent is reasonable but split between two parties (there are 2, 2 bedroom apartments it becomes a great deal).

Bottom line - great location, great hosts, great deal for the very lovely tropical isle of Barbados:-) See above!!!

My Top Pick on Barbados

by scbelle about The Crane Hotel

Okay, we didn't stay here, but we wished we had... Before I launch into the reasons why this will be my future choice on Barbados, let me just say that I did love the Colony Club, and all other things equal, it would tie with the Crane. And if I preferred the Caribbean, I would choose it. That said....

I FREAKING ADORE CRANE BEACH. While I do find the Caribbean sea beautiful, I'm not into snorkelling or floating in the water. I really enjoy waves in my water. I like to jump them, dive them, swim them, and don't mind the occasional humbling tumble... In addition to preferring the ocean here, the beach is much more dramatic than the west coast. The west coast is very pretty, but its all quite flat, the sand is medium grained yellow, and the beach isn't all that wide. Crane beach, however, is fairly deep, the sand is white with flecks of pink (Sand from the Sahara! What fun!), and its nestled in these dramatic cliffs. Gorgeous.

So the number one asset of the hotel would be this beach. Some people moan about the stairs down to the beach (the hotel sits atop the cliff) but come on people--if you're eating as well as I did on Barbados, you need a little excercise. But guess what? The hotel has other assets: Well, if you've checked out their website, you know that the Crane's cliff top pool is a fashion icon in itself. It was gorgeous...and you know, while I love that beach, I could totally foresee a morning where, due to previous nights activities, I really might be a little too dizzy to make it down those stairs. Come on, we've all been there! So this pool is the perfect option... Beautifully styled and a view to die for.

The facilities around the pool are the restaurant and old hotel. We had Sunday Brunch in the restaurant--got a table in the window--what a view!!! It was a nice experience as well.

In addition to the old hotel, the Crane is in the process of building these condos; some of the buildings are done, some aren't. They are available for purchase and for hire a la a suite style hotel. Their sales lady showed us a couple of floor plans and detailed the amenitities--they seem really nice, but you should check out their website to see it for yourself.

Anyway, like I said, this is the place for me. That said, there is one other downer: it is a bit isolated. If you're the kind of person that eats at the hotel every meal, or that doesn't mind a drive (1/2 hour, 45 minutes) to dinner, you'll be fine. There are perks to being isolated. :)

The Crane - A luxury location, to avoid the crowds

by TripAdvisor Member 531_on_Tour

Just returned from our 1st trip to Barbados and 2 weeks at The Crane. I booked and arrived with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews on this site - But no problems. The staff were superb, helpful and friendly (especially Jackie and Nicole). The room was larger than average and the bathroom luxurious. When we had a problem - we rang down and maintenance appeared! The Beach is everything people say it is - excellent; turquoise waters and Palm Trees, everything you expect of a Caribbean spot. The water could be a little rough, but a hammock in the trees was just the ticket. The location is in the SouthEast and we made full use of a rental car (a must to make the most of the location), returning to cool down in the almost empty pool and eat in the nice (but pricey) restaurant or fix a snack in the small kitchen. Construction is going on but I think the only people it disturbed were those who spent all day in their rooms! It was enjoyable to observe the Bajan approach to labour and man management, from the balcony in the morning. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend it - we had local friends to the Sunday Morning Brunch and Gospel singing and they were most impressed! Go there if you want something exclusive, a little out of the way and enjoy.

Shut The Crane until the building work has finished.

by TripAdvisor Member SH_London

After a 10 day extremely relaxing transatlantic cruise we stayed at The Crane, between 23/11/04 to 30/11/04 in a one bedroom Private Residence on the third floor.

From our experience, I feel adverts for this Hotel/Private Residence are totally misleading and inaccurate.

The Zen Japanese restaurants has a glowing description in all the Barbados magazines. We imagined sitting in this new restaurant, perhaps at the central sushi bar, and because our favourite food is Japanese this was a major part of our decision to book The Crane. However, on arrival we struggled to find this new restaurant, only to be told it had not yet been built and Japanese food would be served in the old restaurant for the time being! It also looks unlikely to be finished in the near future. Currently there is one restaurant serving three different styles of food, International, Japanese and Thai. We were both very disappointed with the sushi, and only ordered it on one occasion. The rest of the food was mediocre, the service was slow, and it was often difficult to get a table at lunchtime due to the amount of visitors to the hotel and beach taking the tables.

The beach and pool furniture is old and tatty. Sun bed cushions were left out all night in the rain making them extremely uncomfortable to lie on the next day. There are no umbrellas by the pool, and we struggled to find shade throughout the day. No refreshments are offered on the beach, and the pool bar only opened 3 days before our departure. There are steep wooden steps to the beach which the elderly and children should exercise great caution on. There is the promise of a lift being built although there was no sign of this, and if it is as slow as the lifts in the accommodation blocks it will cause serious congestion!

On initial inspection the rooms were quite spectacular, however this was marred by only having hot water on two occasions and not having air conditioning. The housekeeping service was once a day, and inadequate. The bathrooms have a large two person jacuzzi, however this was not put to much use with the lack of hot water (we even resorted to boiling kettles of water in an effort to have a hot bath!).

Although we were warned about the building work, we did not expect to see it everywhere. Surely they could concentrate on one area at a time, or if not, close the hotel.
The only escape from the noise is to go to the beach.

There was no entertainment facility, even the bar closes down at 11.00 pm. (although one evening we arrived at 10.45 pm to be told the barman had gone home!). There is one internet station in reception which is free to guests. However it was impossible to get on it, and we resorted to getting in the car and driving to Bridgetown to check our emails!

We decided to hire a car half way through our stay, and for the rest of the week we used the public beaches and dined out in the evenings. In fact we were so disappointed with The Crane we merely used it as a bed for the night!

The management seem to be totally concentrating on selling timeshare and do not appear bothered about the hotel aspect and its facilities. The experienced, and capable Hamish Watson has resigned the position of General Manager, to be replaced by Mr Leroy Brown. I can fully understand why Hamish Watson decided to leave The Crane, “rats leaving a sinking ship” comes to mind.

To sum up, I would not stay at The Crane if it were free. Any person buying a timeshare should do their homework.

I could never leave the Crane and be happy

The Crane was simply one of the best places I have ever stayed. The price was right (35% b/c of barely noticeable renovations) and I'd happily pay full price for having the pleasure of staying there. Our room was amazing, we paid for an oceanview suite and ended up with a mini-apt on the 1st floor next to the pool (the end unit) which opened up onto the back lawn on the cliff. The view with the shutters open to the ocean was incredible, my friends don't believe the pictures. The weather was mostly perfect but it rained one whole day so we extended by a day without a problem. The staff was great and so friendly.

Honestly there were a couple instances were I'd have wanted air conditioning (the room didn't have it, but the combo of fans and breezes was fine most of the time - plus we showered a lot) but otherwise the stay was perfect.

Stay at the Crane if you want to relax, stay away from the crowds and the tourist hype and have a backdrop of the roaring ocean, warm breezes and old world charm with modern convenience (free internet in the lobby too!) The restaurant was pricey but not bad at all, plus if your room has a kitchen you can easily cook meals, they'll even take you to the grocery store if you are there on a monday.

I am planning my next stay already... I miss it so much! Feel free to email me with questions!

Perfect Vacation!!

We vacationed at The Crane in late January 2005 for the third year in a row, and had an absolutely fantastic vacation. We’ve stayed in 4 and 5 star resorts all over the Caribbean and Hawaii over the last 13 years and none of them compare to The Crane. For us, The Crane is the perfect vacation because of the luxurious accommodation, stunning view of the ocean, excellent food at L’Azure, friendly service, and Crane Beach is absolutely gorgeous. Yes, there is ongoing construction at The Crane but it has never adversely affected our vacation experience (besides, who stays in their room all day while on vacation?). Note that if you are the type who prefers everything within walking distance (nightlife, shopping, activities), then The Crane is not for you. A car rental is recommended to make the most of your stay. We prefer The Crane's location on the southeast coast of Barbados to the west coast as it is much quieter - there are no crowds, minimal solicitation on the beach and lots of natural beauty and tranquility. There is a constant wind off the ocean which precludes the need for air conditioning, and it also keeps the bugs away – we didn’t even get one bite. The water at Crane Beach is always wavy which is the way we like it - it’s great for bodysurfing or boogie boarding and at the same time we see small children also enjoying the waves. We are already looking forward to our next visit to The Crane with eager anticipation!!

Oh yes, and regarding some of the negative comments about The Crane:

A couple of reviewers have asked why the good reviews outweigh the bad - maybe it’s for obvious reasons, because the people that love The Crane far outweigh the ones who don’t. One reviewer actually criticizes that the public is allowed on Crane Beach – I guess you aren't aware that ALL beaches in Barbados are public. And if you don’t like having kids at a resort, why don’t you go to an “Adults Only”? It is apparent that some people are just never happy no matter where they are and truly enjoy looking for things to complain about.

Bought one T.S. week, tried it , BOUGHT SECOND WEEK!

by TripAdvisor Member Zahnfest

I have stayed in various hotels and apt. rentals in Barbados during the last 16 years and The Crane is simply the BEST!
I just browsed thru a plethora of comments from a variety of tourists to The Crane. The vitriolic negative ones are it seems . from tourists who would find reason to be put out if they won 101 Million Dollars (U.S.). In my travels Ive found a type of client / customer who take absolute JOY in Vomiting up a wheelbarrow load of invective in any milieu. Gosh that construction, golly those steps, gee the wind on the beach! To them I say, Go TO A MIAMI HOLIDAY PKG. INN.. (And Whinge about that!)
I found the staff pleasant and helpful , suites palatial , restaurant superb. And the privacy and security from negative society elements worth TONNES! We read , we sleep in, we dine , we tour....we Enjoy
Our vacation to The Crane is like climbing back into the womb!
A POX on the Whiners!!!

All Show, No Go

by TripAdvisor Member EmeraldSeas

The Crane has all the bones for a world-class luxury resort: charming property, luxurious rooms with upscale amenities, efficient housekeeping, good food, speedy room service, breathtaking views, and a stunning beach. It has a long road ahead before it can truly claim that it "features all of the conveniences and amenities of the worlds' finest 21st Century resorts" (as marketed in an article in Signature Barbados 2004).

Not sure who's writing the excellent reviews of this place, though . . . must be timeshare owners or management. Operationally, this place is a nightmare.

We stayed in one of the private residences, garden view room on the ground floor. It was a RCI exchange. The A/C is pathetically ineffective. Everyday we had to endure an uncomfortably warm room. People were requesting fans left and right. Front Desk says there's nothing they can do about it. Lukewarm water runs from the tap and takes 4 minutes to get there. Several people had multiple and severe bug bites. The resort refuses to fumigate rooms as needed, claiming they do it once a week . . . period.

Many visitors staying outside of the resort come to the Crane for lunch and to use the beach. When it's busy, visitors take up precious restaurant space leaving resident guests to either wait or fix something in their room.

We literally had to beg for a pen and pad. For three days a request went in for these standard supplies. Finally had to raise our voices to get them. Definitely out of character for us, and we didn't like it. Seems like the same situation occurred for a number of things like beach towels, room service entree accompaniments like garlic bread, lounge chairs/umbrella at beach, etc.

Definitely not embellishing our experience. Trust us, stay at the new Hilton if you go to Barbados. Better yet, anywhere but here.

Wonderful Visit

We stayed in a Private Residence unit - 2 Bedroom. The room was spectacular, like no other timeshare or hotel I have ever stayed in. Hardwood floors, marble baths, unbelievable bathroom (2 actually), high ceilings, coral walls, big screen TV, teak furniture, and a private pool. Guests need to keep in mind that these are timeshare units and as such you are not expected to get heavy duty housekeeping everyday (actually most timeshares only give you once a week housekeeping so I was glad to get daily). You have a washer/dryer - wash your own sheets and replace them - you are not that helpless. Also almost all timeshares require a 10:00 am checkout due to the large amount of time required to fully clean the unit. The Crane was never expected to be a luxury, pampering resort - ITS A TIMESHARE!! But as a timeshare I think it offers outstanding service and amentities. How many timeshares in Orlando have a private pool or hardwood floors?? . The other times we had to try hard to keep the sheets on the b

Yes I will admit they do have a lot of construction going on and the air conditioning is not adequate. You should try and specify a unit on the east side of the buildings in order to get the good wind flow. We were only hot one time and that was during a rain showered as the wind was blowing so hard. Yes it is humid but you are in the Caribbean. Yes you must keep used to having the windows open and birds flying - just don't keep food lying around - put everything in the cabinet. We did not visit the restaurant as we used the nice kitchen in the unit and prepared meals or went to the west side of the island for dinner.

Yes it is on the boring side of the island, but we enjoyed being away from the crowds. You will need a rental car to enjoy the island. But you are very close to the airport.

After they finish construction the Crane will be outstanding!! (I think it is pretty great so far!!)

Barbados (The Crane Resort)

by beachbino

"The Crane Resort"

This resort was the most gorgeous resort we have ever stayed at. It was built on the top of a cliff and included two fantastic resaurants also with the cliff view.

Our accomadations were bigger then our condo at home. Beautiful Mahogany furniture and an enormous bathroom.

The beach, (one of the top 10 on the travel channel) lived up to # 7. It was awesome. The waves were huge. There was a cliff you could jump off of. It was just perfect.

The Crane Resort(built into a cliff)The Crane Resort(built into a cliff)

St. Philip, BarbadosSt. Philip, Barbados

Crane BeachCrane Beach

Crane BeachCrane Beach

THE CRANE RESORT

by ROBYRAFFY

We would like to know what do you think about the location of this resort in the "crane beach". Anyone know this?

RE: THE CRANE RESORT

by LoveBarbados

Wonderful hotel but the location is bad. You are a 30 minute drive from anything. You would definitely need a car. The island is small but it does take a while to get around as the roads are slow and during "rush hour" traffic is quite bad. The Crane is pretty much as far away from everything as you can get really but for a relaxed quiet holiday (if you are happy to stay at the hotel) its a nice place. If you want nightlife and varied restuarants I'd suggest you look elesewhere.

RE: THE CRANE RESORT

by Sunniebgi

If your intention is for a quite relaxing holiday in a beautiful spot on this island, than you couldn't ask for a better spot. Crane Beach has always been recognized as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The hotel has been renovated and the restaurants are very good (they do Sushi, Thai, and Bajan).

Just a few things about the area. The waters off the Crane can get very rough. If you love to body surf, this is great. The waters are never flat, if thats what you are looking for. You are in good company as 2 of the wealthiest men in Barbados live on the other cliff on the other side of the beach. You will be about a 30min ride from the hussle and bussle of Bridgetown. You are about 15min from some of the best surfing on the island at the Soup Bowl in Bathsheba, also on the east coast. The sea breeze is constant. The hotel rooms are beautiful, well the one my brother-in-law and his family stayed in one weekend about a year ago was very very nice.

Hope you have a great time, and if you need more suggestions let me know.

Crane Hotel

by gp171080

Am looking to visit Barbados for the first time in early May 2005 - can anyone please give me their opinions on this hotel?

Thanks

Re: Crane Hotel

by sjrgjr

We were in Barbados the first of December and we checked out this hotel. There is a LOT of construction going on everywhere around the hotel. From what we could see of what has been done to the outside, it looks lovely. Check around for rates, I recall seeing steep discounts offered on different websites for stays during the construction period. It is definitely an awesome place and the view is gorgeous. Can't tell you about the rooms, but if the public restrooms are any indication of the the guest rooms, they are top-notch, A#1. Good luck in your search for info. If you decide to change to another hotel, I recommend the Casuarina!

Enjoy your trip to Barbados - it is truly a paradise!

Re: Re: Crane Hotel

by rkaty

we are going to the crane in june for our second visit ,there is a lot of work going on how ever it did not disturb our two weeks there .if anything it was quite entertaining watching the builders working at a bajan pace .the apartment that we stayed in was quite simple amazing i would be happy to recommend it to anyone, the staff were very helpful and friendly especially the front desk staff . the main pool has the most breathtaking view over the beach , which is about half a mile long with soft pinkish sand. alot of the rooms have their own pools so the main pool is often empty so you are able to have a 20x40 ft. pool all to yourself ,now that is what my children called luxury .now is the best time to go as they have a 35% reduction while the building work is happening .i would suggest you hire a car as the people and the island are lovely we never want to come home have a great holiday rkaty

RE: Crane Hotel

by fluffy1968

Although there is alot of construction happening, The Crane is truly a little peice of heaven!
The beach is a soft pinkish colour and a there is always a lovely breeze. A great beach for body surfing or enjoying the sun. Beach chairs are provided and you can purchase drinks from the little stand.
The accomodations are outstanding, four poster beds all made from mahoghany. There is a large television and dvd player, dishwasher, full kithcen that is equipped with anything you would need!

The restaurant is amazing, but pricey. The staff are very friendly and go out of there way to make things right for you.

I hope you have the opportunity to stay in such a peaceful place that in my opion refeshes your senses and provides a sense of tranquility.

Going to Sunbury Plantation and Crane Beach for a good price

by mawalker

I am interested in going to Sunbury Plantation and Crane Beach in St. Philip, Barbados and I was wondering if there is a cheap way to get there and back. I was quoted $80RT for a taxi and I don't want to pay that much, and tour companies don't seem to do the plantation and the beach together.

Does anyone have suggestions, for how I can get there by bus, shared car or any other means or information about a combination tour that I can take?

Thanks

RE: Going to Sunbury Plantation and Crane Beach for a good price

by Sunniebgi

Are you here for a day.. or for longer??

for the day, I would seriously recommend hiring a taxi and spending the money to go. I would like to think that 80.00is Barbados Dollars and not US.. which would make it 40.00usd. I can double check the rates if you would like. What you might want to do is to find someone to pay by the hour, have them do an east island tour, out to Sunbury, then to Crane and along the south coast to return.

if you need any further info, let me know

Comments