Ambergris Cay Hotels

Our Members Say

• Luis_F profile photo Luis_F
  • Reviews: 2

Amazing: Sunbreeze Hotel San Pedro

I went to SunBreeze Hotel last year, and I can tell that the service is excellent, the rooms are big enough, the food is just delicious, and it was my first time on Belize and being on that hotel and the quick access to the beach made me want to go back, and I will, sometime this year.

• Related to: Photography, Family Travel, Beaches
  • Written July 28, 2010

• girdlebug profile photo girdlebug
  • Reviews: 9

Tara del Sol: Condo delight

Rented one of the three bedroom condos in Tara del Sol with the family. The location was perfect. It was about 2.5 miles south of town in a very private and quite area but yet close enough to grocery stores and restaurants. The condo was very clean and the managers quite helpful. Good size pool and beach area. Would highly recommend the condos in this complex.

Lovely beach with private pier. Can walk beach into town.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Fishing, Beaches
  • Written January 8, 2010

• Denissetag profile photo Denissetag
  • Reviews: 2

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Corona del Mar: Nice, but needs new bed!

My husband and I just returned from a 7 nights stay at Corona del Mar, we stayed in room 307 (3rd floor). The room was a regular size hotel room, spacious enough to move around freely without bumping into the bed or your luggage, very clean, snow-white linens and towels, nice white rattan furniture, clean and brand new mini-fridge and an electronic safe, ceiling fan, dead quiet AC and cable TV. My only complaint is that the bed was incredibly uncomfortable, a very old mattress, we could feel the coil pushing through. If they get a new bed in there, this room would be perfect! The best thing about this room is the view! We had a big balcony with big French doors. Just open the doors to the balcony and the Caribbean Sea comes right to your bed! We could see the barrier reef lying on bed! Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to show you because I got mugged in Ambergris and the mugger took my brand new digital camera!

The view!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written April 24, 2009

• kyoub profile photo kyoub
  • Reviews: 2221

Coral Bay Villas: Sea view

I would recommend a stay at these lovely condos. They are nothing fancy but they are clean and well kept. You can look out from your patio or balcony and look at the sea. The pier is very nearby so you don't have to walk far to get on a boat to go snorkeling.

Nice size condo with full size appliances in kitchen. Bedrooms have ample closet and dresser space with queen size bed. Friendly and helpful service. The living room couch makes into an extra bed. They will do your laundry for you and do a good job.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written February 21, 2009

Villas

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3266

Las Terrazas: OMG - Condo living at its best

We didn't stay here but our new friend Ann Marie works here at this property and on our last day wanted to give us the grand tour. The property is amazingly beautiful and is located right next door to Journey's End Resort (same owners).

Las Terrazas is a luxury condo resort which also rents the apartments.

There are various kinds of apartments from studio to 3 bedrooms with full kitchens, living room, dining room, large bathroom with jacuzzi tubs, large balcony many with extras like hot tubs or large sunning areas.

Amazingly beautiful beachfront property with all the amenities you have back home and would want at a luxury apartment stay.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Food and Dining, Spa and Resort, Beaches
  • Written January 25, 2009

Beautiful infinity pool

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3266

Journey's End Resort: Good place to stay for our visit

Miriam and I choose Journey's End Resort for various reason, but mainly for the on-site spa. We were traveling to Belize for a short 5 days and we wanted to make the best of our time without having to leave the resort to enjoy the beach, restaurants or any of the amenities the resort had to offer.

Journey's End Resort is located on the northern end of Ambergris Caye. The distance from San Pedro Town is about 5-10 miles, which made the resort an ideal location for some much needed relaxation. Belize doesn't boast many luxury resorts, especially with beach front property but Journey's End Resort had just enough of what we wanted. The Resort is quite nice with an on site restaurant, bar, convenience store, tour desk, pool, beach and some complimentary water sports.

The Resort has a few types of rooms but we chose to stay at one of the cabanas. The cabana was quite nice with two double beds, ceiling fan, decent size bathroom (with shower that always had plenty of hot water, lol) and a nice front porch with a chair.

The room also had air conditioning which we did not use and a small fridge.

Although Miriam and I were a bit surprised at our Cabana (more further down), we enjoyed the atmosphere that Journey's End Resort afforded us. The staff from the concierge to the front desk, waiters, taxi drivers were all so amazingly kind and friendly and very accommodating.

Regarding the Cabana itself, when we walked in we were a bit surprised that the decor was uninspiring and lacking any type of style. The bathroom was the same and although served its purpose, it lacked anything that would make it stand out, there was a huge concrete wall and tub like area for the shower which made no actual sense.

One thing I must say is that I read that many people complain about the lack of clear/clean space near some of the cabanas. Unfortunately, many of the properties along side the resort are under construction and there can and was some unsightly trash in the area. It does not belong to the resort.

All in all I would say that we enjoyed our stay but it I return to Ambergris Caye again, I would probably stay in a small B&B in San Pedro Town.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Food and Dining, National/State Park
  • Written January 25, 2009

My bed

• Paul2001 profile photo Paul2001
  • Reviews: 1768

The Sunbreeze Hotel: Good Resort Hotel within San Pedro

The Sunbreeze Hotel was not my first choice as a place to stay while in San Pedro. The other two hotels I checked out were all booked up and the Sunbreeze was slightly above the rate that I wanted to pay. In hindsight I think that this was definitely the better choice as the other hotels really did not look all that good.
Pleasantly upon returning to Toronto, I received a letler thanking me for my stay at the Sunbreeze Hotel. That is a rare thing.

The Sunbreeze had everything that you would expect from a hotel at this standard. There was a very nice pool, a good bar and the restauant was probaby the best I ate in while in San Pedro. The room was clean but nothing special and the television did not work all that well.

• Written March 13, 2008

The Sunbreeze Hotel

• alanalew profile photo alanalew
  • Reviews: 1

Costa Maya Reef Resort: Nice Timeshare, though a bit remote

We spent a week here in a two-bedroom, second floor bungalow. Very nice. Due to its remote location you will spend a fair amount of time, and extra cash, to take the boat to town and tour sites. Doing the time share talk (much lower pressure than other places I have been) will get you $200 off on a tour package and a free lunch. The sell themselves as a diver's paradise, though a storm canceled my scheduled dive day. Food in the restaurant is good, though a bit pricey. Their beach is very small.

Free: fishing equipment, kayaks, bikes

Mexico Rocks, one of the top snorkeling spots on the Caye, is directly in front of the resort (5 min kayak ride out).

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written January 29, 2008
Tip Photo

• kennethmaage profile photo kennethmaage
  • Reviews: 1

Changes in Latitude: Cozy B&B

Average room, private, cool enough with AC and a ceiling fan. Best part was the breakfasts. Nothing fancy, but the fruit was really fresh, and the breakfast was "traditional" made by the local girl who also cleaned the rooms. A very cozy start to the day.

The owner was helpful and very personable (in 2002, has new owners now, I've heard).

Stayed for 12 nights, and got a good discount, much lower than advertized on their website.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written January 16, 2007

• CaptainDan profile photo CaptainDan
  • Reviews: 24

Captain Morgan's Retreat: cool hotel but far

This is such a cool hotel on the island. We didn't stay here but went to visit during the day. It's a great quality place but the only bad thing is its so dam far from town. You can golf cart to town easily but the roads there are horrible. The other bad thing is go to town at night is a bad because there are no lights along the road. This is a good place if you're looking to get away from everything and just relax.

• Written October 7, 2006

• CaptainDan profile photo CaptainDan
  • Reviews: 24

Ramon's Village: good quality & location

Ramon's is a great place to stay. Its located right in the center of everything and is high quality all the way. It's a bit more expensive then most places on the island but well worth it. They have several huts for rent each with all the amenities you could think of. The pool was just remodeled not to long ago. The hotel is located right on the sand and the beach in front is great for relaxing and swiming.

I mainly stayed at Ramon's because they have one of the best dive operations on the island. If you're a scuba diver this is a great place. Though you don't need to stay here to enjoy the scuba shop it does make it very conveinent.

Also note that none of the rooms have TVs in them. At first I thought this would be bad but I rather enjoyed finding other things to do then watch tv. Just bring a little movie player if you want to watch something at night.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches, Luxury Travel
  • Written October 7, 2006

• Annie77 profile photo Annie77
  • Reviews: 4

Hotel del Rio: Budget friendly

We stayed at Hotel del Rio on all three trips to Belize. Rooms are basic- no TV, no phone but are very comfortable. We've stayed in the Casa Blanca rooms which are basic hotel rooms with bed, bath, small rack for hanging clothes, fridge and AC. We also stayed in the Double Guest House which was much larger with two beds, bathroom, fridge and very breezy balcony. There is a lovely sitting area under a palapa. La Popular Bakery and Dahlia's Market are right behind the hotel. I highly recommend Hotel del Rio!

• Written August 20, 2006

"Front yard" of Hotel del Rio

• marc_berryman profile photo marc_berryman
  • Reviews: 3

Royal Caribbean Resort: Royal Caribbean Resort treats you like Royality

Royal Caribbean Resort is new, but has worked through the start-up pains described in older reviews of this exceptional resort. Friendly, courteous, and helpful staff, along with individual cabanas, and probably the largest pool on Ambergris Caye, made this an enjoyable location. Every spot in the resort has a great ocean view.

The brightly colored individual cabaƱas, now with bone chilling air conditioning, were clean, well constructed, and all had a great views of the ocean, The cabanas are spacious, with separate bedroom, bathroom, cable TV, phones (upon request) and a large living area with one corner dedicated to the kitchen sink, microwave, small refrigerator, coffee maker, cooking and serving utensils. There are muli-speed ceiling fans in the living area and in the bedroom.

The staff goes out of the way to ensure you will have an enjoyable time. Bike and cart rentals, along with all other activity needs, are available through the attentive and detail minded staff. The golf carts were new and were loads of fun as we explored the island. We booked several SeaRious adventures through Yoram and his staff, and our expectations were always exceeded.

South of San Pedro, about a mile and a half from the center of San Pedro, the resort is very quite and peaceful. A 15 - 20 minute walk along the beach, or a fairly short bike or cart ride, will place you back in the center of San Pedro. Taxi ride from the airport or the water taxi site to the resort was $5.

Best Pool in Ambergris Caye
Every unit has an ocean view
Fantastic Staff

• Related to: Budget Travel, Diving and Snorkeling, Fishing
  • Written July 2, 2006

Cabanas at Royal Caribbean Resort

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

Hotel del Rio: A Simple Room

The room was very basic, with a double bed, one dresser, a ceiling fan and three louvered windows that did not have an air-tight closure. This, combined with a single thin blanket, led to a chilly first night's sleep as a cool and breezy spell of weather had swept in on the day we left Caye Caulker. We periodically awoke to the intermittant sound of distant dogs barking and the rattle of the nearby palm leaves in the wind. The shower was not too bad, but there seemed to be only one water temperature which was, fortunately, lukewarm!

To be fair, this was the low-end of the accommodations at the Hotel del Rio and we did have a chance to move into one of their more upscale Casa Blanca rooms for US$74, but we decided to 'rough it'! In addition, there are other individual nice-looking thatched roof casitas scattered here and there on the well landscaped grounds of the hotel (see second photo).

• Related to: Family Travel, Backpacking, Beaches
  • Written March 20, 2006
Tip Photo

Our double bed with door to bathroom/shower

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel del Rio: On the Northern 'Outskirts'

Based on the summary in my 'Moons Handbook' on Belize, which said that the Hotel del Rio was "one of the best bargains on the island", I had booked one of their two economy guest-house rooms way back in December, for the second leg of our Belize trip following 'Caye Caulker'. You could tell that we were now on a higher real-estate valued island, because even this basic accommodations was US$51 per night. The photo shows our small second floor balcony with it's only 'window' toward the beach being a narrow gap past a building on the adjoining property, with the second photo showing our actual view from the balcony.

The Hotel del Rio is located almost at the very north end of San Pedro, only one block from the San Pedro River which actually cuts the town off from the remainder of Ambergris Cay. This is at the 'rougher' end of San Pedro, where most of the locals live, but we never had any problems coming or going on our 25-minute backpack walks from and to the Water Taxi terminal located in downtown. The hotel required a one-night nonrefundable credit card deposit when I booked it, and I paid the remainder of our planned 2-night stay on our second day there.

The hotel is very nicely landscaped with palm trees and it fronts onto a section of beach, with a private Hotel del Rio dock. A beach 'street' of sorts runs all along here (Boca del Rio), so the lounging area at the hotel is divided from the actual water's edge by this thoroughfare. We really enjoyed the Belizians who ran the place, and had a great afternoon chatting away one afternoon beneath the shade of their thatched roof common area (see 'Things to Do').

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Backpacking
  • Written March 20, 2006
Tip Photo

Our small balcony door peeps thru the Palms

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful