Ambergris Cay Hotels

Our Members Say

• tfulle01 profile photo tfulle01
  • Reviews: 4

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Take a chance and visit here in the offseason

Great Dive/Fishing/Accomodations in Ambergris Caye.

I'm just going to put it like this. When I left, I felt that the staff where my friends, good friends. I can't wait to get back there.

This is a great place to stay in Ambergris. Give a call down there, or email to negotiate reservations. You can email me too, and I'll try to help you set something up or give you some advice.
They have a nice beach, pool and rooms. There is a dock and a dive shop on the premises. Crazy Canuck's Beach Bar is one of the best bars on the island and Monkey Bites Cafe is also great for breakfast. The deals you can get here, especially during the offseason, are amazing. I would reccomend that anywhere you go in Belize, you negotiate your reservations, rather than just accepting online rate quotes. If you are planning on diving, fishing or any other watersport or inland trip (ie: cave tubing) they will put together a custom package. Best of all, once you get there they are very flexible. For instance, maybe you booked 5 days of diving, but you change you mind and decide you'd like to go fishing for a day. Just talk to Clinton, who runs all the dives and excursions, and he'll help you out very fairly giving you full credit for one booked excursion or trip towards another. When I was there I made some changes to the package and I ended up with a credit. He wrote me a slip for the difference that I was able to use towards my tab at Crazy Canuck's!

• Related to: Water Sports, Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written March 5, 2006

• Foundryman1 profile photo Foundryman1
  • Reviews: 111

Banyan Bay Villas: Mindless beach bumming...In Style

Stayed here for six nights and really enjoyed ourselves

Just far away from town to be quiet but close enough to everything.Nice pool,really nice staffand very clean.I think these are privately owned units that the hotel rents out when the owners aren't there.The rooms were decorated very personably.
The pool is three tiered with the first tier 1' then 2.5' very good for small kids but if you are an adult it too shallow to do much besides sit around in it. The lower level is about 4'-5' with a sit down bar in one end.Being the slow season the bar was unstaffed but we did see waiters bringing out drinks and snacks for people at the pool.

There's Stewart Wegner in the second picture and a picture of the beach. There's seagrass everywhere but the workers rake it up everyday.As beaches go on Ambergris it's a pretty good stretch.
Next photo is of the pier and dive shop. I think it's Bottom Time that runs the snorkel trips.
You can see the waters still a little cloudy from the storm.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Fishing, Beaches
  • Written November 8, 2005

pool at Banyan Bay Villas Belize

• Matt875 profile photo Matt875
  • Reviews: 3

Banana Beach: Very good; very reasonable

We stayed five days in Banana Beach. The room was $81/night (USD) which included breakfast and transport to/from the San Pedro airstrip. Our room (which is the base room) was clean and bright. The suites look nice and are only $40 more per night.

The hotel is 2 miles south of the center of town. This is not a big problem since all the dive shops will pick you up at the hotel's dock and cabs into town are only $5 USD.

• Related to: Beaches, Water Sports, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written August 3, 2005

• head05 profile photo head05
  • Reviews: 36

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Banana Beach Resort: Kinda Touristy... but cool nonetheless.

The only bad thing about this place is that you need to take a taxi into downtown...or is that a good thing?

There are 2 pools - one in each terrazo section of the hotel. There is an internet cafe in the giftshop and a really nice restaurant attached with the hotel.

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches
  • Written July 19, 2005

Room with a view at the Banana Beach

• larsy profile photo larsy
  • Reviews: 406

Ramon's: Great Value, Great Location

Great huts right on the beautiful beach. The only set back is they do not have bath tubs. Next time we may stay at Steve and Becky's, a part of Ramon's, which is across from the resort and is styled in Victorian fashion rather than Ramons thatched hut beach look. It is most Americanized resort in that part of San Pedro, but that isn't always a bad thing

• Written June 27, 2005

• CayeCrazed profile photo CayeCrazed
  • Reviews: 11

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Seven Seas Resort: The island's biggest hearted little condo cluster

Two buildings each having two beachfront fully equipped one bedroom condos on each of three floors. Located north of centre in the heart of San Pedro Town this older but unique place is a no frills but charming place with the friendliest and most helpful you could find. Daily maid service,small swimming pool but no phones in units. The front desk attendants will call for you for most things.This is where you can meet your neighbours yet leave the noise at the bars down the beach. If you don't need fancy or all-inclusive then this is the place for you. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Great ocean view and a long dock right in front from which you can fish or swim or be picked up by boat.

• Written January 15, 2005

Little piece of heaven

• diver-x profile photo diver-x
  • Reviews: 483

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ramon's Village Resort: If I Did It Over Again...

OK, I have to admit, I didn't stay here, but we strolled down the beach several times and checked out all of the resorts. And if I had to do it all over again, I'd stay at Ramon's Village Resort.

Not that there was anything wrong with Banana Beach Resort where we did stay, but Ramon's is clearly where it's at if you like to be physically active while on vacation. They had a huge dive operation and I think I counted 12 boats at their dock. They've also got kayaks and Hobie Cats for rent. Their bar, though far from the water, is lively and the bartender remembered our favorite drinks from one night to the next. They've got an irregularly shaped pool that winds around the bar area that looked like it could be fun, but they were doing maintenance on it when we were there.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written September 26, 2004

The dock at Ramon's Village Resort

• diver-x profile photo diver-x
  • Reviews: 483

A Little Resort on the Water

When we arrived at San Pedro airport, we still hadn't decided where we wanted to stay. We had a vague idea that we wanted to see what Captain Morgan's Resort was like (where they taped Temptation Island) but hadn't actually decided. A woman at the Maya Island Air terminal saw us fumbling with our Lonely Planet book and asked if we were looking for a place to stay. She offered to call Capt. Morgan's for us and disappeared into the terminal building. A few minutes later she reappeared said they were full. She mentioned that she's heard several people say they liked Banana Beach Resort a lot as we continued to peruse the LP Guide. It was very hot, and we were sitting in the outdoor terminal with nothing to drink and nowhere to go, and the lady kept talking up Bananas Resort, so Bananas it was. The lady steered us over to a cabbie and we were off. It took about 7 minutes and $5 to get to Banana Beach. And the lady was right: we liked the place!

Banana Beach Resort is on the water on the south side of San Pedro Town. It's a little bit away from downtown, but we were still able to walk down the beach to the action. The resort's activity center, Monkey Business can set you up with diving, snorkeling, or day trips to the mainland. They also have golf carts for rent, which you definitely want to do if you want to see more than your resort and downtown. When we scheduled our dive activities, they called up a local dive operation and the boat came to pick us up at the resort. All activities were very easy to arrange and went smoothly. The resort has 2 pools, a beach area, dock and a restaurant/bar. We got a very nice room with kitchen/living area, TV, queen bed and bathroom for $85/night including breakfast. That's kind of steep by Belize standards, but we were happy and enjoyed the place.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Luxury Travel
  • Written September 20, 2004

Entering the beach at Banana Beach Resort

• saraheg77 profile photo saraheg77
  • Reviews: 252

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Tortuga: The Beach behind Casa Tortuga!

Well, we didn't actually stay at this house, but we used it's beach! =) We asked about beaches at the tourist info stand and they gave us some info and we took a nice stroll down the main street of town and through a walkway down to the beach behind Casa Tortuga. There were nice lounge chairs and a place to go snorkeling right from the pier.

There was a yellow dog that seemed to be part of the place. HE was very nice and didn't annoy but just kinda of hung around and lounged near us. I was afraid I had taken his lounge chair. See pic in my intro =)

Although this place looked nice and had a great beach, the prices on the website seem a little toooo much! I'd suggest staying at a cheaper place and just coming here to use their beach! =)

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written July 2, 2004

CLICK for full picture

• samui777 profile photo samui777
  • Reviews: 5

Mayan Princess: Great location, good deal

With its location in the middle of San Pedro, the Mayan Princess is a great choice for those seeking a budget friendly dive vacation. Amigos Del Mar, a great dive outfit, is just steps away. One can expect a clean room, a fully stocked kitchen and satellite TV. The spacious balcony is perfect for drying out your dive gear in the afternoon while still providing plenty of room for you to enjoy a cold Belikin.

Great views from the balcony.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Budget Travel
  • Written June 21, 2004

Mayan Princess on the beach

• JoannafromOhio profile photo JoannafromOhio
  • Reviews: 1

Coral Bay Villas: Wonderful View, Beautiful Villa

Stumbled on Coral Bay Villas by accident, and am glad I did. Prettiest hotel south of San Pedro. Crystal clean rooms, full kitchen, cable TV, and best of all... stunning views of the Caribbean. Owners are retired Americans who will help you plan any activities you wish to participate in. You will enjoy every second at Coral Bay.

Very clean, A+ views, quiet area

• Written April 5, 2004

View from Coral Bay villa

• MrRandMcnally profile photo MrRandMcnally
  • Reviews: 326

Costa Maya Resort: A Time Share

I didn't stay here but we heard their spiel and saw a beautiful resort. If you're looking for a tim share it sure looked nice to me. After a nice lunch we borrowed a couple of their Sea Kayaks and paddled out to the Mexico Rocks Coral formations just off shore. It is a beautifully landscaped and they are going to put in a big pool in the near future.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Beaches, Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written February 20, 2004

View from a balcony

• MrRandMcnally profile photo MrRandMcnally
  • Reviews: 326

Hotel Del Rio: Adaptable place on the nort side of San Pedro

The Hotel Del Rio has several buildings to meet many needs. We stayed in the Grande Cabana. It is a large thatched roof building with one main room with a kitchenette in one corner, 4 beds and a bathroom/shower. There is a little stove, refrigerator, and misquito nets on two double beds, the other two beds are uncovered twins. It cost $75 a night in the off season.

Its a great room for a larger group, within steps of the water. It has its own dock and several smaller rooms and cabanas.

Being just north of town meens a little more walking but that's not necisarily a bad thing. We really got to know the town well walking back in forth and walking down the beach was never a bad thing. Hustler tours is just south of Del Rio and a bakery is just a block away so breakfast is close and really good.

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 20, 2004

Cabana Grande Del Rio

• CoAir13 profile photo CoAir13
  • Reviews: 382

Paradise Hotel: Piece of Paradise

The main road in San Pedro is not very long and when it ends....you are at the Paradise Hotel. Thatch roof huts, right on the beach, and since this town isn't very big, close to everything!!

No TV, no A/C...but you don't really need it with the constant breeze, beach bar, and very friendly staff!

• Written January 29, 2004

Our Cabana

• CLillard profile photo CLillard
  • Reviews: 209

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Blue Tang Inn: Nice room with a kitchen, great location!

This inn looks pretty new to me, so they must have renovated recently. It's location was great for me, I walked everywhere. The supermarket is right there, which is good because your room includes a kitchen equipped with pots, pans, and dishes, silverware, etc. It's nice because it's clean and quiet. There are many hammocks throughout for you to use. They provide continental breakfast, which is usually one type of bread or muffin and one type of fruit. They provide bath towels and you can request beach towels as well.

For taking tours, this inn is a good location, because your tour operator of choice can pick you up at the dock right outside the hotel (called Hustler's Dock).

The staff working at Blue Tang is especially nice. Mario is especially cool and I was surprised to see him gettin' down at Big Daddy's that weekend too!

What the room does not have: shampoo or conditioner, TV (unless you pay US $5), phone (you can use the front desk phone for a charge).

• Written February 20, 2003