Ambergris Cay Hotels

Our Members Say

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel del Rio: On the Northern 'Outskirts'

Based on the summary in my 'Moons Handbook' on Belize, which said that the Hotel del Rio was "one of the best bargains on the island", I had booked one of their two economy guest-house rooms way back in December, for the second leg of our Belize trip following 'Caye Caulker'. You could tell that we were now on a higher real-estate valued island, because even this basic accommodations was US$51 per night. The photo shows our small second floor balcony with it's only 'window' toward the beach being a narrow gap past a building on the adjoining property, with the second photo showing our actual view from the balcony.

The Hotel del Rio is located almost at the very north end of San Pedro, only one block from the San Pedro River which actually cuts the town off from the remainder of Ambergris Cay. This is at the 'rougher' end of San Pedro, where most of the locals live, but we never had any problems coming or going on our 25-minute backpack walks from and to the Water Taxi terminal located in downtown. The hotel required a one-night nonrefundable credit card deposit when I booked it, and I paid the remainder of our planned 2-night stay on our second day there.

The hotel is very nicely landscaped with palm trees and it fronts onto a section of beach, with a private Hotel del Rio dock. A beach 'street' of sorts runs all along here (Boca del Rio), so the lounging area at the hotel is divided from the actual water's edge by this thoroughfare. We really enjoyed the Belizians who ran the place, and had a great afternoon chatting away one afternoon beneath the shade of their thatched roof common area (see 'Things to Do').

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written March 20, 2006
Tip Photo

Our small balcony door peeps thru the Palms

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

Hotel del Rio: A Simple Room

The room was very basic, with a double bed, one dresser, a ceiling fan and three louvered windows that did not have an air-tight closure. This, combined with a single thin blanket, led to a chilly first night's sleep as a cool and breezy spell of weather had swept in on the day we left Caye Caulker. We periodically awoke to the intermittant sound of distant dogs barking and the rattle of the nearby palm leaves in the wind. The shower was not too bad, but there seemed to be only one water temperature which was, fortunately, lukewarm!

To be fair, this was the low-end of the accommodations at the Hotel del Rio and we did have a chance to move into one of their more upscale Casa Blanca rooms for US$74, but we decided to 'rough it'! In addition, there are other individual nice-looking thatched roof casitas scattered here and there on the well landscaped grounds of the hotel (see second photo).

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Backpacking
  • Written March 20, 2006
Tip Photo

Our double bed with door to bathroom/shower

• saraheg77 profile photo saraheg77
  • Reviews: 252

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Tortuga: The Beach behind Casa Tortuga!

Well, we didn't actually stay at this house, but we used it's beach! =) We asked about beaches at the tourist info stand and they gave us some info and we took a nice stroll down the main street of town and through a walkway down to the beach behind Casa Tortuga. There were nice lounge chairs and a place to go snorkeling right from the pier.

There was a yellow dog that seemed to be part of the place. HE was very nice and didn't annoy but just kinda of hung around and lounged near us. I was afraid I had taken his lounge chair. See pic in my intro =)

Although this place looked nice and had a great beach, the prices on the website seem a little toooo much! I'd suggest staying at a cheaper place and just coming here to use their beach! =)

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written July 2, 2004

CLICK for full picture

• CoAir13 profile photo CoAir13
  • Reviews: 382

Paradise Hotel: Piece of Paradise

The main road in San Pedro is not very long and when it ends....you are at the Paradise Hotel. Thatch roof huts, right on the beach, and since this town isn't very big, close to everything!!

No TV, no A/C...but you don't really need it with the constant breeze, beach bar, and very friendly staff!

• Written January 29, 2004

Our Cabana

• diver-x profile photo diver-x
  • Reviews: 483

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ramon's Village Resort: If I Did It Over Again...

OK, I have to admit, I didn't stay here, but we strolled down the beach several times and checked out all of the resorts. And if I had to do it all over again, I'd stay at Ramon's Village Resort.

Not that there was anything wrong with Banana Beach Resort where we did stay, but Ramon's is clearly where it's at if you like to be physically active while on vacation. They had a huge dive operation and I think I counted 12 boats at their dock. They've also got kayaks and Hobie Cats for rent. Their bar, though far from the water, is lively and the bartender remembered our favorite drinks from one night to the next. They've got an irregularly shaped pool that winds around the bar area that looked like it could be fun, but they were doing maintenance on it when we were there.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written September 26, 2004

The dock at Ramon's Village Resort

• diver-x profile photo diver-x
  • Reviews: 483

A Little Resort on the Water

When we arrived at San Pedro airport, we still hadn't decided where we wanted to stay. We had a vague idea that we wanted to see what Captain Morgan's Resort was like (where they taped Temptation Island) but hadn't actually decided. A woman at the Maya Island Air terminal saw us fumbling with our Lonely Planet book and asked if we were looking for a place to stay. She offered to call Capt. Morgan's for us and disappeared into the terminal building. A few minutes later she reappeared said they were full. She mentioned that she's heard several people say they liked Banana Beach Resort a lot as we continued to peruse the LP Guide. It was very hot, and we were sitting in the outdoor terminal with nothing to drink and nowhere to go, and the lady kept talking up Bananas Resort, so Bananas it was. The lady steered us over to a cabbie and we were off. It took about 7 minutes and $5 to get to Banana Beach. And the lady was right: we liked the place!

Banana Beach Resort is on the water on the south side of San Pedro Town. It's a little bit away from downtown, but we were still able to walk down the beach to the action. The resort's activity center, Monkey Business can set you up with diving, snorkeling, or day trips to the mainland. They also have golf carts for rent, which you definitely want to do if you want to see more than your resort and downtown. When we scheduled our dive activities, they called up a local dive operation and the boat came to pick us up at the resort. All activities were very easy to arrange and went smoothly. The resort has 2 pools, a beach area, dock and a restaurant/bar. We got a very nice room with kitchen/living area, TV, queen bed and bathroom for $85/night including breakfast. That's kind of steep by Belize standards, but we were happy and enjoyed the place.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Luxury Travel
  • Written September 20, 2004

Entering the beach at Banana Beach Resort

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3286

Journey's End Resort: Good place to stay for our visit

Miriam and I choose Journey's End Resort for various reason, but mainly for the on-site spa. We were traveling to Belize for a short 5 days and we wanted to make the best of our time without having to leave the resort to enjoy the beach, restaurants or any of the amenities the resort had to offer.

Journey's End Resort is located on the northern end of Ambergris Caye. The distance from San Pedro Town is about 5-10 miles, which made the resort an ideal location for some much needed relaxation. Belize doesn't boast many luxury resorts, especially with beach front property but Journey's End Resort had just enough of what we wanted. The Resort is quite nice with an on site restaurant, bar, convenience store, tour desk, pool, beach and some complimentary water sports.

The Resort has a few types of rooms but we chose to stay at one of the cabanas. The cabana was quite nice with two double beds, ceiling fan, decent size bathroom (with shower that always had plenty of hot water, lol) and a nice front porch with a chair.

The room also had air conditioning which we did not use and a small fridge.

Although Miriam and I were a bit surprised at our Cabana (more further down), we enjoyed the atmosphere that Journey's End Resort afforded us. The staff from the concierge to the front desk, waiters, taxi drivers were all so amazingly kind and friendly and very accommodating.

Regarding the Cabana itself, when we walked in we were a bit surprised that the decor was uninspiring and lacking any type of style. The bathroom was the same and although served its purpose, it lacked anything that would make it stand out, there was a huge concrete wall and tub like area for the shower which made no actual sense.

One thing I must say is that I read that many people complain about the lack of clear/clean space near some of the cabanas. Unfortunately, many of the properties along side the resort are under construction and there can and was some unsightly trash in the area. It does not belong to the resort.

All in all I would say that we enjoyed our stay but it I return to Ambergris Caye again, I would probably stay in a small B&B in San Pedro Town.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Food and Dining, National/State Park
  • Written January 25, 2009

My bed

• Paul2001 profile photo Paul2001
  • Reviews: 1795

The Sunbreeze Hotel: Good Resort Hotel within San Pedro

The Sunbreeze Hotel was not my first choice as a place to stay while in San Pedro. The other two hotels I checked out were all booked up and the Sunbreeze was slightly above the rate that I wanted to pay. In hindsight I think that this was definitely the better choice as the other hotels really did not look all that good.
Pleasantly upon returning to Toronto, I received a letler thanking me for my stay at the Sunbreeze Hotel. That is a rare thing.

The Sunbreeze had everything that you would expect from a hotel at this standard. There was a very nice pool, a good bar and the restauant was probaby the best I ate in while in San Pedro. The room was clean but nothing special and the television did not work all that well.

• Written March 13, 2008

The Sunbreeze Hotel

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3286

Las Terrazas: OMG - Condo living at its best

We didn't stay here but our new friend Ann Marie works here at this property and on our last day wanted to give us the grand tour. The property is amazingly beautiful and is located right next door to Journey's End Resort (same owners).

Las Terrazas is a luxury condo resort which also rents the apartments.

There are various kinds of apartments from studio to 3 bedrooms with full kitchens, living room, dining room, large bathroom with jacuzzi tubs, large balcony many with extras like hot tubs or large sunning areas.

Amazingly beautiful beachfront property with all the amenities you have back home and would want at a luxury apartment stay.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Beaches, Food and Dining, Spa and Resort
  • Written January 25, 2009

Beautiful infinity pool

• Foundryman1 profile photo Foundryman1
  • Reviews: 111

Banyan Bay Villas: Mindless beach bumming...In Style

Stayed here for six nights and really enjoyed ourselves

Just far away from town to be quiet but close enough to everything.Nice pool,really nice staffand very clean.I think these are privately owned units that the hotel rents out when the owners aren't there.The rooms were decorated very personably.
The pool is three tiered with the first tier 1' then 2.5' very good for small kids but if you are an adult it too shallow to do much besides sit around in it. The lower level is about 4'-5' with a sit down bar in one end.Being the slow season the bar was unstaffed but we did see waiters bringing out drinks and snacks for people at the pool.

There's Stewart Wegner in the second picture and a picture of the beach. There's seagrass everywhere but the workers rake it up everyday.As beaches go on Ambergris it's a pretty good stretch.
Next photo is of the pier and dive shop. I think it's Bottom Time that runs the snorkel trips.
You can see the waters still a little cloudy from the storm.

• Related to: Beaches, Fishing, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written November 8, 2005

pool at Banyan Bay Villas Belize

• CLillard profile photo CLillard
  • Reviews: 209

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Blue Tang Inn: Nice room with a kitchen, great location!

This inn looks pretty new to me, so they must have renovated recently. It's location was great for me, I walked everywhere. The supermarket is right there, which is good because your room includes a kitchen equipped with pots, pans, and dishes, silverware, etc. It's nice because it's clean and quiet. There are many hammocks throughout for you to use. They provide continental breakfast, which is usually one type of bread or muffin and one type of fruit. They provide bath towels and you can request beach towels as well.

For taking tours, this inn is a good location, because your tour operator of choice can pick you up at the dock right outside the hotel (called Hustler's Dock).

The staff working at Blue Tang is especially nice. Mario is especially cool and I was surprised to see him gettin' down at Big Daddy's that weekend too!

What the room does not have: shampoo or conditioner, TV (unless you pay US $5), phone (you can use the front desk phone for a charge).

• Written February 20, 2003

View of Blue Tang Inn at night - San Pedro

• grandmaR profile photo grandmaR
  • Reviews: 6710

RUBIE'S HOTEL: Cheerful and Cheap

We had two single beds with a night table between the beds, and a rack with coat hangers and a place to put suitcases. The bathroom had a mirror, and hot water (unlike Ignatio's huts in Caye Caulker). It took us a day to ask how to turn off the bathroom light, which was behind the mirror. There was a standing fan, and a bookcase. The hotel has been updated since we stayed there.

Outside on the deck (second floor), there were chairs and a table, and there were lines outside (with clothespins) to hang stuff to dry. It faces right onto the beach, and there is a pier. The only disadvantage of this hotel is that it is a little noisy. The hotel people were very helpful.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written November 12, 2002

Hotel from pier in 1998 before Mitch

• kyoub profile photo kyoub
  • Reviews: 2221

Coral Bay Villas: Sea view

I would recommend a stay at these lovely condos. They are nothing fancy but they are clean and well kept. You can look out from your patio or balcony and look at the sea. The pier is very nearby so you don't have to walk far to get on a boat to go snorkeling.

Nice size condo with full size appliances in kitchen. Bedrooms have ample closet and dresser space with queen size bed. Friendly and helpful service. The living room couch makes into an extra bed. They will do your laundry for you and do a good job.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written February 21, 2009

Villas

• JoannafromOhio profile photo JoannafromOhio
  • Reviews: 1

Coral Bay Villas: Wonderful View, Beautiful Villa

Stumbled on Coral Bay Villas by accident, and am glad I did. Prettiest hotel south of San Pedro. Crystal clean rooms, full kitchen, cable TV, and best of all... stunning views of the Caribbean. Owners are retired Americans who will help you plan any activities you wish to participate in. You will enjoy every second at Coral Bay.

Very clean, A+ views, quiet area

• Written April 5, 2004

View from Coral Bay villa

• MrRandMcnally profile photo MrRandMcnally
  • Reviews: 326

Costa Maya Resort: A Time Share

I didn't stay here but we heard their spiel and saw a beautiful resort. If you're looking for a tim share it sure looked nice to me. After a nice lunch we borrowed a couple of their Sea Kayaks and paddled out to the Mexico Rocks Coral formations just off shore. It is a beautifully landscaped and they are going to put in a big pool in the near future.

• Opinion of Price: N/A