5931 Bachelor Ave., West Landivar, Belize City, Belize
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Belize City

Chateau CaribbeanChateau Caribbean

The small gate areaThe small gate area

Monkeys in the canopyMonkeys in the canopy

Ferry DockFerry Dock

Belize City Via International Bus

by JJfromNJ

I want to go to Ambergris Caye for some diving. I'm planning on taking the bus from either Cozumel or Guatemala City to Belize City, and then a boat over to Ambergris. Which bus journey is easiest/quickest? I've looked into flights but they're too expensive.

Thanks!

by Foundryman1

If you are going from mexico to ambergris you dont need to go all the way to Belize city.Take the bus to Corozal town and take the ferry there to the island.

Yes the flights are expensive but what is your time worth? a day sitting on the bus is not worth the money you may save.

Why cozumel or Guatemala city?

by JJfromNJ

I'm flying to Cozumel or Guatemala City from home because that's the cheapest airfare. Flights from Guat City to Belize City are over $250 USD one way. Really it's worth it for me to use my time busing it. I like a long distance bus here and there anyway. I like checking the countryside, little road side stops, and rural local people.

by Foundryman1

Have you tried flying into San Pedro Sula Honduras? There's a small plane that flys to ambergris from there a few times a week on either Mayaislandair or tropic air.

Plane fare to Belize City has been really high this past year be patient and something will pop up-C

by gfinesilver

i think from cozumel will be better. catch ferry to playa del carmen and bus to chetumal. ask ahead of time which one connects to the bus to belize, there are not that many of those, and you have to leave playa del carmen early in the morn.

by cya-traveller

I wish people would put in date of travel. If you have not gone yet here is the deal
Cozumel is better diving and less expensive than off Ambergis Caye (though Hol Chan is not to be missed). So if you are into diving it makes no sense to go through Guatemala City when you can have several good days of diving in Cozumel (snorkeling is also good).
Bus ride from Cozumel would get you to a jump point to Ambergris. Take the bus to Chetumal and get off there. Call for a taxi to come get you and take you across the border. Get a bus on to a stop where you can take a ferry to Ambergris Caye.
Also, since you are in that area you might want to do some good, yet very inexpensive diving on the Bay Islands. Catch a bus to Dangriga and then a ferry to the Bay Islands area. Use express busses unless you like to stop a lot and watch locals get on and off.

Travel Tips for Belize City

Went to Belize but didn't get to see much

by JanisAnn

Belize was at war with itself when we were there. We stayed in the little mall area right at the pier th entire time we were there. My daughter, daughter-in-law & granddaughter got their hair braided. There was a small flea market area behind the mall that was fenced in & there were armed guards at the gates.
We are planning to go back in January 2010 on the Triumph & I hope that we get to get out & see more. My neighbors went there for a week & said it's a beautiful place. We tendered for the first time in Belize. It was fun for me but my daughter was scared to death. We were cramped up inside the boat as were going to Belize but when we headed back to the ship we sat outside in the back. She felt better out there she said.

Just passing through!

by Bonnieclyde

Belize City is not somewhere I would go to see, just a necessary passing through point to other parts of the country. The shopping is fine, but the city isn't the cleanest & not somewhere I would want to holiday. Just passing through!

Belize City No Longer the Capital of Belize

by starship

I thought it was an interesting fact that the government of Belize had the insight to move their capital from Belize City to Belmopan* which is farther inland. While Belize City remains the country's social, commercial and historical center, Belmopan is less likely to suffer the effects of severe hurricanes.

In 1961, Belize City was devasted by Hurrican Hattie which battered the coast with 160 mph winds, killed hundreds of people and caused $50 million in damages, not to mention leaving scores of people homeless. While moving the capital won't necessarily save more lives, it probably does save the government from being at least temporarily paralyzed, and hopefully helps to keep the government functional and carry on the business of aiding those on the coasts affected by hurricanes. I was impressed by the way not only our main tour guide but several others encouraged us to tell our family & friends to visit Belize. It's a beautiful country and the people on the whole were very warm and friendly to tourists.

Cruise? Book an Excursion or Shop.

by katmai

I f you happen to travel to Belize on a cruise ship it seems best to book an excursion. If not you may well be stuck in the Tourist Village "compound". This is fine if you simply wish to shop & eat in Belize. When it comes to prices, Belize seems to be what Mexico was about 15-20 yrs. ago. One can buy good quality goods for less than expected. So if you see something you like, do not hesitate to buy it. The same thing will cost twice as much in Mexico. To be honest --catching the tender back.

Get your laundry done for cheap!

by CLillard

If you are tired of paying outrageous prices for laundry at the hotels, you can go to Belize Dry Cleaners in downtown Belize City.

It's on Dolphin St, right near Cemetary Road in downtown. I got four plastic bags full of dirty clothes washed for 14 BZE Dollars. I dropped it off at lunch and picked it up at 5:45 pm the same day. They folded them, but did not press them. You can also have your drycleaning done there. If you leave anything in your pockets, they will put it in an envelope for you and give to you when you pick uo your clothes.

Comments