Coconut Drive, PO Box 94, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Rip Off Place

I stayed at Banana from 8/3 - 8/6. I had a golf cart that was rented from cholos and on 8/4 I had filled the tank up(55.00bz dollars). Around 7:30pm I parked the golf cart across from Banana in there parking lot that was suppesly patrolled by security. On 8/5 we left the room around 9:00 am and while traveling down the road the golf cart broke down. When cholos arrived to fixed the cart it was found that all the gas I had just put in less then 24hours ago was siphoned out. I had to pay cholos for another full tank of gas(55.00bz dollars). Since this happen on Banana property I was not comfortable to park in the lot again for my remaining time there. Therefor, I checked out and advised them as to why. I was told to return at 9:00am the next day to speak to management. When I returned the next day, the hotel refused to let me speak to the management and Instead they said I had to speak to the head of security (Mr. Lopez). I was highly upset about this since I feel he is not the manager of the hotel , I feel I should have had the right to speak to the hotel manager. Anyway's, I showed them all my proof and the hotel refused to reimburse me for the extra gas I had to pay. There reason was, "this has never happen before therefor we will not be doing anything about it". I felt this was not an acceptable reason. I started to speaking to a lot of locals who informed me that Mr. Lopez runs a crooket security business and he allows the locals to pay him cash so his security staff would turn there backs while they siphoned gas out of golf carts. In fact this is not the first time it has happen and I was informed that people have complained to the hotel in the past. Visitors should be aware to watch out and not park there golf cart in Banana's parking lot. Also, this hotel is not the best. It is a low rated hotel. At least the time I was there, there was a lot of rowdy local people from belize city staying there and made noise all night long.

• ukmagicman's Profile Photo

Lovely and Clean

Hotel was great - rooms were very clean and bed was comfortable, and the price was very reasonable compared to other places. The in-hotel tour office did an excellent job at booking all of the excursions I wanted to go on.

Nice pool, and well-maintained beach area. The sea is not great to swim in around here as it is full of sea weed which also lines the beach. But staff keep the Banana beach very clean.

All rooms have balconies, but not all have great views ie mine was the property next door. Still, nice to have to dry wet clothes.

A/c in the room was fantastic.

Unique Quality: Great tour office.

Good food in restaurant.

Directions: South of the airport

More about Banana Beach Resort

Simply Perfect

by redBodhisattva about Banana Beach Resort

...are the only words to describe this hotlel. After a night stay in Belize City, a 2hours boat ride to the Ambergris Key, and a taxi ride through the narrow, unpaved roads on the island, ths place seemed like heaven when we arrived. The beautiful buildings are done in a Spanish villa-type style and the facilities are clean, new, and attractive. A helpful, timely front desk, a fun staff, 2 comfortable swimming pools, a small but picturesque beach and a great view of the coastline make this place an all-around perfect experience. The bar is nicely decorated and well-stocked, albeit expensive (but no more than the rest of San Pedro). The restaurant offers free breakfast and a well-rounded and delicious menu at their restaurant. If you're looking for a sumptuous, romantic resort experience at a reasonable price in San Pedro you should definately give this hotel a look. very attractive facilities and rooms, 2 nice pools with a waterfall, friendly staff, quality restaurant and bar (but a bit expensive), stunning view of ocean and coast, easy access to snorkeling/diving.

A Long Haul

by EGitan about Banana Beach Resort

We arrived to the resort late after getting lost, having to stop and call for directions and driving through a downpour! It was dark as we pulled down a foggy dirt road and waited for the voices to take us across the river. In the dark a man stepped out of the fog and led us to several canoes where we threw as little as possible in the boat and rowed across the other side to the resort. It was late and the kitchen had closed but the staff were kind enough to bring us some sandwiches and beer. The room was nice enough but after seeing and hearing the patter patter of little feet (roaches) and the buzz of the skeeters....it made for a long night. The next morning we had a wonderful ranch style breakfast with some of the other guests and headed on our way. I think my experience would have been a little better if we weren't in such a rush and if the roaches had been a little more quiet about their existence. Banana Bank is owned by managed by John and Carolyn Carr - Carolyn, a well-known artist specializing in Belize street scenes, and John, a former Montana cowboy and real-live rodeo star.
Together, they've created a very unique jungle lodge and equestrian center on the banks of the Belize River.

At Banana Bank, guests can still discover relics of former Mayan civilizations on the grounds of the Lodge, visit Carolyn's studio, star-gaze through a Mead telescope, tour Mayan ruins, canoe the Belize River, tube through underground caves, experience the Belize jungle on a trail ride through the Banana Bank Equestrian Center -- AND visit with Tika, the Lodge's pet jaguar (authorized through a special permit from the Belize government).

Where to stay in Ambergris Caye

by Donnaiguana

Three of us will be traveling to Ambergris Caye this summer, would like some advice on where to stay. A clean comfortable room, nice pool, good location, and decent beach are important to us. We are considering Xanadu, Paradise Villas, Banana Beach resort, and Caribe Island Resort. Any pros, cons or other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

RE: RE: Where to stay in Ambergris Caye

by diver-x

We stayed at Banana Beach Resort and were very happy with it. It is a little outside of town, but we were still able to walk to San Pedro Town along the beach - about a 20-25 minute walk. The room we had was very nice, with a kitchenette, living room, cable TV and nice size bath. There are 2 pools, one is kind of small with a waterfall and the other is average size with a kind of hot tub thing on a deck above the pool, though it wasn't heated. The beach is clean and raked, but it is along a small sea wall so you can't just walk into the water though I think you may be able to get in from the resort next door if I remember correctly. If the beach is the most important thing to you, I'd suggest trying one of the resorts north of town. Not sure if any of the other ones you mentioned are in the north or not. I liked the activity center - they were very well organized and the resstaurant was probably the best we tried on Ambergris.

RE: RE: Where to stay in Ambergris Caye

by haighr

This past Christmas we stay at Ramon's Village - must tell you it is the best place to be in Ambergris. We heard many couples who dropped in state they wished they had know about Ramon's. Individual little cabins, great dive instructor and can go on any excursion right from their pier.

Comments