San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Priceline.com Booking.com BookIt.com

More about Captain Morgan's Retreat

A Honeymoon in Paradise

Staying in a thatched roof cabana with A/C, with only white sand and palm trees seperating my bride and I from the clear, blue-green waters of the Carribean, plus peace and quiet with no phones or TVs in our room, made for the perfect, romantic honeymoon. Snorkling along the second largest barrier reef in the world, linen tablecloth feasts in the open-air restaurant next to the pool, a sunset sail, and staff waiting on us hand and foot only added to the experience. We couldn't have asked for a better place to get away and focus all of our attention on each other. You owe it to yourself to go at least once in your life!

Don't bother-stay in San Pedro

by TripAdvisor Member Violeta5

We went to the Captain Morgan's Beach Club in Belize for our honeymoon, unfortunately. When we arrived, we found that the beautiful white sand beach was actually white sand covered concrete and there were workers furiously raking sand to keep the appearance. Didn't help much because once you walked on it, it was hard as a rock. Our room was not ready, so they asked us to wait by the pool. The pool had about an inch and a half of slime and bugs on it, no one was at the pool bar to order a drink. Went in the main office, they acted like WE were putting THEM out by wondering how we could wait for our room in comfort (ie-food, drink, swimming)-Once our room was ready, we were dismayed to find that our kitchenette had no utencils, no pots, pans, empty knife block-furniture was missing, there were nails in the walls where pictures were supposed to be-and last but not least, our bed linens had STAINS on them. Real romantic for the honeymoon, let me tell you. To get into San Pedro was a $5/person each way water taxi fare, most of the time you would have to wait 30+ minutes for the water taxi past the time they told you it would be there. We never in the whole week that we were there got all of our kitchen utencils, they never brought us clean sheets, never brought the missing furniture or pictures (god forbid it looks like a resort) even though we asked for these things every day that we were there. AND to top it off, they shut off all of the water in the middle of the night without telling anyone, so we are running all over the resort looking for a toilet when a MACHINE GUN armed security guard jumps out of the bushes at us...Relaxing? Not really. Pretty scenery but stay at a different resort in San Pedro. It will be cheaper, the staff will be nicer (no doubt) and they probably clean the pool at other resorts and might have real sand. We wrote a letter to the owner of the resort and never received a response. Again, great customer service.

A piece of paradise!!!!

My wife and I were able to escape to CM in Belize for a 5 night getaway from our 3 kids. Our review in one word--FANTASTIC!! I can't vouch for the guests whose reviews were not favorable, but hey, you can't please everyone all the time. We stayed in one of the casitas. and enjoyed the quiet of no phone.TV, or kids screaming. Since it was the "slow" season, there were no more than 30 or so people at the resort. That was great!! If I had to really reach for a bad note on this trip, it would be the mosquitos at dusk. But hey, that's the tropics--beats getting bothered by bugs in NJ. While the entire staff was great, our hats go off to ART at the main pool bar. He is a class act, and an all-around great guy. He'll talk to you all night, and can get you whatever you are looking for. In his absence, look for Stacey (owner's daughter) , or Charles, the "you're on vacation man" bartender, who are also very helpful....Thanks guys!!. If you like to fish, ask Art or the guys at the activities desk to hook you up with Dilzon. He was the best, and put us into alot of fish, both big & small. Diving is also beautiful there, and Aqua-Dive (by the Sunbreeze hotel) put us at some great sites!! While in Belize, we never had a bad meal, and the Belikin or Lighthouse Lager were always cold. Again, Art is the man to get good tips/ideas from. People at the resort, and in San Pedro are all very nice....and you can actually browse shops w/o getting "harassed" by vendors like in some other areas of the world. We will go back, hopefully sooner than later, and we would certainly stay at C.M. again!!!

A Nightmare!

by TripAdvisor Member CRclueless

My boyfriend and I spent a week in Belize at the end of Oct to beg of Nov. We planned to spend the entire time at Chan Chich Lodge but decided our last day to do something new. Our stay at Chan Chich was perfect...the lodge and grounds were gorgeous, the food was unbelievable and the service impeccable. We loved it! But after we had done a majority of the activities, and also had a few days just to relax we started to get a little restless and thought it would be fun to go to the beach. Ambergris seemed the easiest to get to and sounded like it had more hotels that the other Cayes. I tried a few other places before Captain Morgan's since all the reviews I read weren't great...but unfortunately most other were already booked. We got there in the morning and it was raining...which definitely made the stay worse but we had one problem after another at this "retreat" and it was really the sum of them that made it miserable. We waited about 10 min for the boat to get us to take us from San Pedro to the hotel. Then it took them about 30 min to bring our bags. Our cabana reeked like urine, which we later learned must have been from some kind of insecticide for mosquitos. This room was really bare bones...just nice enough and clean enough that I didn't run right then. There were no pads on the porch chairs and even though I asked for them they were never brought to us. We wanted to go in the ocean even though it was raining but the descriptions are accurate about the beach front...there was sea grass from the beach to ~100ft out so we'd have to canoe out there or go out on the boat dock. So we walked around san pedro for the day which was ok, nothing much to see...all the stores have touristy junk and they're all the same. I was happy with the seafood (but the food was no Chan Chich) since I love lobster. At dinner (we ate at the restaurant there) about 20 mosquitos died on our table cloth. We went back to the room to find 50 mosquitos dead on our blanket, an equal concentration on the floor and drapes (way too many to count) and a lizard on the wall. We went to the office and the girl at the desk told us the maid was gone so she couldn't get us a new blanket but she sent a security guy over to get the lizard out (which he did but then he killed it which was kinda gruesome). We were feeling pretty down about the situation so figured we just go to sleep...we cranked the A/C since it was very humid there. We woke up a few hours later to find that the electricity was out so we were in the pitch black and with no a/c. We went to the desk to inquire and get a flashlight or something but the girl just told us it would be on soon and locked up the office and left. It came back on after about 30min. We barely slept after that and I got out of bed at 5am to pack up. We were completely miserable! So much so that we made a list of all our issues and asked for a refund (since of course there was no one of any authority at the desk this is still being disputed). I'm not someone who is terribly picky or needs a luxury hotel...but this place was $150 night! That's what I pay for a quality hotel in DC or most other US cities! And this place was literally a shack with just the bare necessities are just barely clean. I would never never again go to captain morgans or Ambergris for that matter or recommend it to anyone. It just wasn't worth the $ or the hassle as a beach destination. The jungle parts of Belize are mostly what makes Belize unique. So unless you are all about the scuba diving and don't care about your accomodations then I'd say go somewhere else.

Great place to visit again and again

by TripAdvisor Member hunteris40

I should start out by saying that Ambergris Caye is not for everyone. Its nothing like Cancun. I think its what Cancun was 20 years ago. But if you like to fish, dive or snorkel, that this is the place to go. This was our 2nd stay at CM and we loved it. We bought a time share the first time we were there and look forward to returning every year. I like to fish, and have learned to fish right from the peir and have done well. The staff is great and try to take care of all of your needs. The bugs do come out at dusk, but a little bug spray is all that is needed. Just make sure you bring some from the states because it is not cheap down there. If you like to fish, do take a charter. On our fishing trip, we fished , snorkeled and had the best shore lunch of fish and lobster. The captain did a great job of putting us on lots of fish. We caught so many fish that we told him that we didn't want to fish anymore. I would of fished more but the girls were done. If you have questions, send me an email and I'll try to help you. Go and enjoy

so much beachfront-unable to swim

With a huge beachfront, visitors were unable to swim due to the seaweed. I asked at the front desk what is up with this and her response was "we don't swim here either" I understand that this helps the coral reef; but with 1200 feet of beach front, why not clear 150 feet for swimmers and have the best of both worlds? What a dissappointment.. to book 8 days there only to find, you won't be enjoying the beach!
Other than that,the views were great, villa was nice. The food prices were relatively high, as expected, but the portions are extremely small!!! You go away feeling like you have had an appetizier.

Can we go back now?!

As a honeymoon gift, my husband and I went to Belize. We had the opportunity to stay at Captain Morgan's, not knowing what to expect. The staff is so friendly, and willing to help with just about anything! Riding bikes along the beach to town was great exercise, and a beautiful way to see the island. Found that the island had a lot of tourists, but enjoyed seeing people we had met on tours on the island. The resort is beautiful, there was some construction while we were there on the timeshare part of the resort, but it never bothered us. I can't say enough WONDERFUL things about Captain Morgan's Resort, or their staff.

Total Disappointment: Capt Morgan's Retreat

We just returned from a stay at Capt Morgans Retreat in Belize. We were very disappointed by the place. There is construction going on there and it starts everyday at 6:30 in the morning. The entire place is going time-share, hence the construction and that is where the resources are going. The rest is getting pretty run down and shabby. There are completely different standards for hotel guests and time-share guests. This includes separate facilities, like pools, bars, even beach sections and chairs. As a hotel guest, you can look but dont touch! This even includes the offered services. I booked a massage two days in advanced, 2 hours before it, I was contacted and told it was cancelled because the masseuse was sick. A shortwhile later, I overheard a timeshare guest departing for her massage, and saying how she shouldnt be late since the guest services director had squeezed her in at the last minute. It only took a second for me to realize, he had cancelled mine and given it to her. I was constantly amazed at how rude the Management was. I addressed the massage incident to the guest services director. He rudely said he would book me one in town if it was so important to me, but I would have to find my own transportation to get there. He didnt offer to reschedule me at the resort or offer any type of concession. I think he was irritated that I had found him out. He spent the rest of the week pointedly ignoring us, while he gushed over his timeshare guests. The local staff was very friendly, but the Management was not. They have an entire staff which hounds you about buying the timeshares, if you say no, you are treated very rudely by the management staff for the remainder of your stay.
I couldnt get over the fact, that we were paying guests and were treated like we were in the way. I definitely felt like a lower form of life during the entire stay. But they had no qualms about taking my dollars. Even tried to tack a few extra charges on.
The restaurant is not very good, service was very slow, portions small, and everything was expensive. Twice the price of other places. The resort is far from town so you are basically a captive audience. Getting into town is difficult and again expensive. You use the island ferry or try to catch a ride with the resort boats, but they have no schedule and alot of times no room. Forget about a golf cart, the "road" is washed out. Bicycling is probably the best way to get to town, but good luck getting one. This place is one of the more expensive places to stay and is touted as a 4 or 5 star resort. I would equate it to a cheap hotel in the states. We had a basic room and bathroom. No TV,phone, clock radio, fan, or even coffee maker. It wasnt very clean, the sheets on our bed were changed once during the week and there was always sand on the floor and in the shower. There was mold in the bathroom and in particular the shower stall. I hate showering where I dont want to touch anything in the shower stall. The water pressure was low and it was cold to cool. There was no soap holder so the soap sat in water, and we never got another bar. Our towels were not changed on a daily basis either. We had an air conditioner, but it blew hot air. We had to keep the windows open to get a sea breeze most nights to keep us cool, but were almost anemic after all the mosquito bites. We asked for a fan and a clock radio a couple of times, since the other rooms had them, but never saw one. One more thing, when you turn on the lights to get up during the night, wait a few minutes so all the roaches can scatter for cover. We looked at other places to stay for our next trip and they were much nicer, less expensive, offered more amenities, and closer to town.

Captain Morgan's is a Scam

This is a scam so read on....The first thing to say is that the resort is okay, but as they are building new buildings the old ones are getting in bad shape and no upkeep. The money is in construction NOT in upkeep.
If you are in San Pedro and asked to go to Captain Morgan's and join there club, BEWARE and run away as fast as you can. They are selling memberships faster than they are building and giving away "so called" bonus weeks to help sucker you in. When you get the bonus week just try and use it, I dare you. That is when all the conditions start and they tell you that it is not valid during certain times or in the regular unit, but in a lesser room, nothing like the one they show you. Please avoid this place and take the warning as a heads up. You will not be missing out on anything by staying clear of this place while in Belize. Just like the other review, they lie to get you in and then make excusses the rest of the time. If your ever going to buy a timeshare, DO NOT buy here as this is the place that gives the timeshare industry a bad name.

Diving Ambergris Ceya and snorkle sites.

by Robb

"HOL CHAN,SHARK RAY ALLEY,DOLORES/AMIGOS WRECK"

This is a large ray at Hol Chan park.

Nice dive.

"DIVE BOAT"

We did our diving with the dive shop at RAMONS Resort.
we had to delay our diving (strong wind) and were now staying at CAPTAIN MORGANS Resort (3 miles north of Ramons and the site's south of Ramons).
the Ramons dive shop did Pick up / drop off w/no problem.
We (I hate to say ) forgot our dive cards at Captain Morgans ,they drove us back w/no problem.
I realy respect that they would not let us dive with out seeing it.
The D.M. was very good and safety conscious.

"Hol Chan"

Hol Chan is a shallow dive (could be snorkled)
Depth is 30 feet Max , my depth reached 27' with a 14' average for dive.lots of schooling fish,good startout dive for week unless you have trouble staying neutral .

"Shark Ray Alley snorkle"

Mostly Rays and a few nurse sharks.
BE CAREFULL OF BOATS!
Our boat driver told me he got the scare of his life
seeing at the last moment a snorkler"in an area he should not have been! There are no fish where he was"

"DOLORES or AMIGOS WRECK"

Starts out 68' at the sunken barge for a fish feed.

Under the weck I found this Green Moray eel.

the rest of the dive is thro channels ,cuts, and such.

Comments