Coconut Drive, P.O. Box 37, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, 0, Belize

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

• wreckloose's Profile Photo

Rum Punched in the face

From the moment we checked in, we were made to feel at home by the wonderful staff (especially Frank). Complimentary coffee in the mornings, a deluxe continental breakfast, plus FREE FRUIT PUNCH AND RUM PUNCH ALL DAY LONG!!! Although further away from the main strip than the other hotels, this is a place I would definitely recommend over and over again... especially if you have the convenience of a golf cart like we were fortunate enough to have. George's Kitchen across the street is a wonderful family-run restaurant, and Coconuts next door has a live band nightly plus a swimming pool if you would rather not jump into the sea.

Unique Quality: Our beachfront room was located on the bottom floor with a magnificent ocean view. Not that I planned to spend much time indoors, but I found myself watching all kinds of great tv shows as it had more channels than I could ask for. The living room was adequately furnished and although wouldn't be confused with a 5 star hotel, was definitely liveable. The fully stocked kitchen was decent and being located near multiple markets allowed me ample opportunity to put it to good use over the 15 day period that we were there. I found the bathroom to be clean as was the air conditioned bedroom. My biggest concern staying in a tropical country was that their woud be a problem with insects inside our room, but I was happy to say that I didn't see so much as an ant inside our room.

Directions: Coconut Drive, near the end across from George's Kitchen.

More about Corona del Mar Hotel & Apartments

The friendliest hotel on the island

by TripAdvisor Member Scuba-in-Cuba

We stayed at Corona for 6 nights and had the best time. The staff are incredible, really helpful and friendly (unless you ask that tiny lady for tea and breakfast, she really wasn't happy with me). The rooms are large, comfortable and very clean and the moment that you walk through the door you are made to feel at home. Miriam is super helpful and can get anything and everything arranged for you. Frank is adorable, however he's really bad at horseshoes! Whoever thought of free rum punch all day deserves a medal, and Patty's pineapple rum punch is just delicious, ask Frank to make you a batch if he hasn't already.

Patty's pineapple rum punch

As soon as we walked into the lobby we felt welcomed
we were visiting with another couple, it was their 3rd trip. Everyone was fantastic! Frank made me a special rum punch because I'm allergic to oranges & grapefruit, Frank mixed me up a special pineapple rum punch, and soon everyone was enjoying it. It went down so smooth, what's so funny about it, I didn't drink, but it sure was good. The view is excellent of the water, I'm so glad we stayed at Woody's for our vacation. The accommodations are great and so is the staff.

Love it!

I loved this hotel and the people who ran it. They were so hospitable, made great breakfasts, and organized the most amazing snorkeling and boating trips I have ever been on. They truly care about their customers and show it. Plus, the always flowing rum punch is a great bonus also.

The Best

by TripAdvisor Member penmick

My wife and I just returned last night from Belize. I couldn't wait to get on here and write about what a great place this was. We did a lot of checking be fore we went and were glad we chose to stay here. We spent 8 days there and were treated like we had been there forever. I even beat frank at horseshoes once, in about twenty games. If you like to be welcomed and treated like one of the family this is the place. . If you want luxury this might not be the place for you but I don't think you can beat the location or the people who work there. We ate at many different place on the island but couldn't beat George's for price and quality of food. We went diving with robbie from Chuck and robbies and had a great time.

Can't wait till We can go back. Have Fun
Mick and Penny Nielsen

Best vacation ever!!!

We visited Corona Del Mar in April and didn't want to leave - even our 14 year old son fell in love with the hotel, the island and the friends he made there. The staff is incredible and we left feeling very sad. Our whole time on San Pedro was wonderful and we will definitely return, hopefully for a longer stay. George's Kitchen was the best place to eat on the entire island too! We ate at alot of places but George and Maria definitely offered up the best food for the best price. George even became our son's "2nd dad"!!! We played horseshoes with Frank just about every night and he and our son won the Sunday tournament together on Easter. Overall, this was the best vacation that we've ever had. Thanks! Randy & Morgan Belinsky

Wonderful vacation - great, relaxing place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member MsFixit03

My husband and I stayed at Corona del Mar the last week of April. We really enjoyed our time there. The hotel is just the right size for relaxation - about 18 rooms (only a few of them were occupied, so we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves). The staff is very friendly - Miriam's great! :) Wonderful breakfast in the morning (included in price) had lots of fresh tropical fruit, local bread, exotic jams, eggs and cereal, coffee and punch - everything you need to start the day right. There is no pool at the hotel, but they own a dock and at the end of the dock there is a cabana and a few lounge chairs - providing both sunlit area and a shaded one - perfect! There's an area to swim in right off the dock there (there are stairs down into the water), so the whole thing worked out great like a private sunlit, ocean pool ;). There is also enough space to lounge on the beach.

I have to warn that Corona is not a luxury hotel, so picky spoiled travelers probably wouldn't be impressed. But for us, the hotel had everything we needed - comfortable rooms with air conditioning, satellite TV, phone, shower, small fridge (with replenished on needed basis water); great breakfast; quiet relaxing swimming/sunning area and a great location - all for a very reasonable price. The only thing to keep in mind is to bring your own hair drier and shampoo/conditioner. They only provide soap.

The hotel is just 15 min leasurely walk to town, which we enjoyed regularly to go to dinner in town. There are a lot of nice restaurants, though dining out is fairly expensive. The restaurants we liked:
Caramba - great fresh seafood - try Caribbean Fish! Friendly staff, meals are prepared very quickly and the price is good.
Taste of Thailand - a bit pricey, but very good - the chef is from Thailand.
Ali Baba - the place is a bit of a dive, but lamb shiskobab was out of this world
Jerry's crab shack - amazing Garlic Shrimp pizza and lobster stuffed shrimp
Blue Water Grill - food is marginal, but dessert is great. Try the flourless chocolate cake. Also, its location on the ocean is very romantic.
Yumil - great breakfast. Get the Belizean special and Blueberry waffles. Yum!
Also try the frozen custard place next to Caramba, it's very good

For diving - Aqua Dives is a great shop! Protech [""]!

All in all, a great Caribbean vacation for us. If you're looking for a relaxing pleasant vacation and are a diver or a snorkeler, Ambergris Caye is definitely worth exploring. If you're looking to party, try Cancun instead, 'cause most likely you'll be bored here.

Good luck!

Great hotel just outside San Pedro Town

Took my daughter to Belize for a Spring Break vacation in March 2006 and stayed at the Corona del Mar Hotel for three nights. This relatively modest-priced hotel completely met our needs. Located on the Caribbean waterfront, shares a dock from which guests can be picked up by dive shops for snorkeling or diving on the barrier reef ~ 15 min away by boat, very generous continental breakfast, comprehensive concierge services, friendly staff, 10 min walk to downtown San Pedro Town, free fruit and rum punch all day, and US cable tv. I wouldn't hesitate staying there again.

Another day in paradise...

What a wonderful place. We slept with the balcony doors open on the third floor and had the cool ocean breeze to keep us comfortable (a/c is available but we loved the breeze). The breakfasts were so good and healthy. The staff was always friendly and helpful. Miriam was very helpful with setting up excursions. The rooms were very nautical/tropical in decor and hot water available for shower/bath. If we are fortunate to go back to San Pedro, we would definitely stay at Corona Del Ma.r

Rock Solid!

by TripAdvisor Member Captain Rug

Great place to stay - but what makes it great is the staff! Pam, Miriam, Frank, and the rest make the place! So friendly, so helpful - and don't worry about having to decide/book trips beforehand - Pam and Miriam are experts and know everything! Highly recommend the "Beach BBQ" trip with Russell & Topper - best meal we had all week - part fishing, part snorkeling, and a lot of eating. Also recommend the cave tubing on the mainland (bring an extra bottle of rum for the float down) and (of course) snorkeling at Hol Chan and Shark-Ray alley.

Regarding the Corona del Mar - it is not the most luxurious resort on the island, but it has to be the best value! I believe the regular rooms are around $85 - we took a penthouse room for a little more ($105 per night). Nice size room - spotlessly clean and well maintained - AC, fridge, and a great view of the sea. The grounds are not large, but good for laying around for a day or two - includes a dock with swimming, hammocks, horseshoe court (make sure to play with Frank - especially if $$ are on the line), and other beach seating. Also GREAT location - about a 10-15 minute walk down the beach or down the street to downtown San Pedro - close, but not too close. Favorite place to eat downtown - El Patio - well known Elvi's Kitchen, however, is somewhat of a tourist trap...

Oh, finally, don't forget the FREE rum punch at Corona del Mar (and decent continental breakfast)...yummy!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!