Beachfront, 5 Miles North of San Pedro, San Pedro, Belize

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Matachica Beach Resort

Magical Matachica

by TripAdvisor Member stephensg

Absolutely magical. From the puddle hopper flight, to the boat ride up the beach to the seclusion of the resort and the wonderful reception upon arrival, Matachica was all that we had hoped it would be. A group of 16 close friends / couples decided to spend a week to relax, re-connect and enjoy an adventure together. As it turned out, Matachica was a perfect choice. It balanced adventure with rustic elegance and the comforts of what we had all come to expect as a group of frequent travellers. King sized beds, soft linens, huge beach towels, air conditioned rooms and absolutely delicious food. The beach is great and kept immaculate with a team that discreetly rakes several times a day. The resort has a small fresh water pool, an outdoor jacuzzi directly on the sand and more lounges and hammocks than you could ever sleep in over the course of a week! I stayed in a two bedroom villa with a large living room. Each bedroom had its own enormous bathroom and its own screened porch with hammock for afternoon naps. The massages were great and the charming atmosphere of the spa (located in a thatched hut on the beach) was both traquil and spiritual. The resort is filled with all kinds of unusual furnishings, fabrics, pillows, lamps and carpets...just a very cool and eclectic combination of decor that made it so inviting. As beautiful as this pearl of a resort was, the staff was one of the highlights. I have stayed at boutique hotels around the world and never experienced a staff so attentive, friendly and low key as this one. They seemed happy to be there, happy to tend to each of us and by the time we left they knew each of our names We really felt cared for by this group of people- from the housekeepers to the waiters to the beach crew. If you are looking for marble and granite and white gloves this is NOT the place, but if you want a true get away, an escape to an unusual country, island and adventure. I would highly recommend this place for couples of all ages and for adults who want to bond with friends. one caution- this is not a place for kids. just too 'chill' and kids would not enjoy the quiet. enjoy- and don't miss the chocolate souffle!!

SSG....los angeles

Belize's WORST resort

by junglebride about The Horrible Journey's End Resort

My husband and I stayed at Journey?s End Resort for 5 nights in February 2004 on our honeymoon. We were downgraded, even though we had booked an oceanfront cabana months in advance. A group of students booked 4-5 rooms (after our reservation was received) and they wanted to keep the group together, so they stayed in our honeymoon oceanfront cabana! We even arrived at the resort before the students did.

In addition to being downgraded on our honeymoon:

Food - The food is very bland, boring, served cold and overpriced.

Staff - The wait staff at the restaurant is inattentive.

Hidden Fees - A service charge is included in everything but they do not tell you and happily accept your tips.

False advertising about drinking the water - the website says you can drink their water but you CANNOT!

False advertising describing accommodations - you cannot even see the beach from most of the "ocean front" cabanas.

Maid service is sporadic

False advertising: Website states that Room service is available upon request. There are no phones in the room so you cannot order room service.

At over $200 per night and the way the website describe this resort, we expected A LOT more. JE is one of the highest priced resorts/hotels on Ambergris Caye. Unfortunately, most of the other resorts were booked so we were stuck at JE for the full five days. We did some research while there and the next time we go, we will stay at Victoria House, Ramon's or Mata Chica. Belize was wonderful. The people were friendly and the country is beautiful. Despite our disappointment at Journey's End, we will absolutely return to Belize!

The Matachica is the place for me!

by TripAdvisor Member wandergirl

I thoroughly enjoyed the five nights I spent at the Matachica Resort. This was my first visit to Belize and this establishment certainly left me with a positive impression, from start to finish. Without hesitation, I would make a return visit. In planning the trip, we received top notch assistance from Burga. What an angel! Through multiple e-mails, she promptly arranged our reservations and even assisted with making internal flight plans. Arrival was a quick adventure, as we traveled by plane, taxi and boat before reaching the resort. Charlie and Chris were great in whisking us to the resort in about 15 minutes. What a pleasant surprise to have had our drink requests radioed in and awaiting upon our arrival. Oswald is the “Margarita/Martini Master”, perhaps genius. Definitely visit the bar for an awesome cocktail. I couldn’t have been more pleased with the overall atmosphere and layout of the property. The Sea View Casita was absolutely wonderful! Our accommodations were spacious, modern, very clean and airy. The décor is as contemporary as it is culturally artistic. How easy it was to feel at home with a hammock on our front porch and the ocean at eyes view. Each and every day, the housekeeping and grounds staff were very attentive in assuring that the property sparkled inside and out. The Mambo restaurant was scrumptious. We really enjoyed the diverse menu/appetizers with its incorporation of Belizean and world cuisine, definitely a seafood lover’s paradise. Abbey, Ishmel and the dining staff were always so helpful in making menu suggestions. The open air dining room, with its vivid colors and tasteful arrangements provided a lovely setting for leisurely dining. It was difficult to pull ourselves away from it all. However, whenever we wanted to see the sites and venture out for the day, the management/reception staff was great in making arrangements for daytrips, nearby and farther into the interior. My stay at the Matachica was truly unique and oh so relaxing. I shall return.

Many town shops and...

by Robb

Many town shops and restaurants are geared towards tourism however they remain very local in feel. .....
We did eat at a few restaurants, Elvi's,Fido's, Celi's,(Ramon's, Capton Morgans,
Mata Chica are talked about in the resort info/review) .

exquisite escape

by TripAdvisor Member Wurstnurse

After spending four nights in the heart of San Pedro, my husband and I checked into the Mata Chica resort. We were picked at the island ferry dock with the Matachica boat, the Mambo. Their friendly staff radioed ahead and our drinks and a cool washcloth were waiting for us when we arrived. The ambience of Mata Chica is amazing. The restaurant and bar are beautiful with an eclectic sound and soothing design. The staff members are kind and accommodating. We road their bikes, kayaked and snorkled, swam and my husband learned to sail. We met couples from all over, got to relax in an ideal setting, played pool, checked our email, and ate great food. We can't wait to go back.

Fantastic Time!

by TripAdvisor Member travelguy70

I have recently stayed at some very nice tropical resorts including the One & Only Palmilla, in Cabo, the Four Seasons in Costa Rica and Victoria House in Belize. We stayed at Matachica because we could not get a longer stay at Victoria House. I had no idea what to expect at Matachica, but we were extremely pleased! I would not call Matachica “fancy”, but it was one of my favorite spots ever. I would say Matachica has a Bohemian / East Indian feel to it and was extremely relaxing. We stayed in the ocean front ‘Mango’ room on a windy evening. We opened all the doors and windows with no need to turn on the air conditioner. As we sat on the bed under a white canopy net at dusk, I had a full unobstructed view of the ocean that was just 10 feet from our front door. It could not have been better and I am a real beach and ocean view snob. Compared to Victoria House, Matachica is not as fancy, but makes up for it in terms of a better beach and absolute charm. I preferred Matachica over Victoria House, my wife preferred Victoria House over Matachica, but we were both very pleased with both places. From what I could tell, the ocean front casitas are the only way to go since 80% of what I liked about the place was the amazing ocean front view from our room.

Paradise.

by TripAdvisor Member JordanaK

No words can describe how incredible of a place Mata Chica is. The staff and owner are absolutely amazing. The resort grounds were beautifully kept. They were constantly being cleaned. First thing in the morning, i would wake to the beach and there was someone cleaning all the weeds and plants that had washed up onto shore over the night. I thought that was great because it keeps the beach and water a lot cleaner and it looks so much better. The restaurant "Mambos" was always great! I love when restauants serve bread while reading menu's, and waiting for meals. It was great how there was free internet service, other hotels charge extra and I personally don't think that's right. The lounges on the beach were great, they had very comfortable cushions that I was able to lie on for hours straight. The excursions were tons of fun. The zip-lining and cave tubing was my favorite. But the hotel was so beautiful and relaxing, i thought i would have been fine just staying at the hotel!! Mata Chica is what I think of when I hear the word Paradise. Everything and Everyone was just fantastic! I would definitely go back in the near future, and wouldnt stay anywhere else.
If you're looking for a real holiday to relax, this is the place.

"The Way Vacations Used to Be"

by TripAdvisor Member woodmanMontreal

I rarely take the time to answer surveys or share thoughts, but as I sit in my office and stare out at the cold blistery day, I cannot help but think about our recent trip to Belize and the Matachica resort.

We are parents of young children, and rarely get away for a quick couples break. We chose Matachica because we knew the owner and were comfortable that he truly understood the difference between good and great. All that being said, nothing prepared us for the precious days ahead.

Matachica sneaks up on you. You arrive tired from your trip, and take an intimate boat ride to the resort. You slowly start to unwind and let go.

Our entire stay was a gradual subtle journey towards relaxation and calm. The accomodations were far more plush than we imagined. The beds were great, and the shower and bathroom were romantic and spacious. The entire room was designed as a refuge and the hammocks and private terrace allowed us to escape and relax.

I brought 4 books with me, but hardly read a page. I had my first sailing lesson, where the entire staff was eager to help and share in the humour of my pathetic attempts to survive wind and water! And it was a week of many first for me and my wife. We spent time swimming with sharks and dolphins (the real stuff not the Mexican tank type), played with seahorses, fished for snapper and grouper (way too many to eat) and took late night cruises to town when we felt like getting into trouble.

We ate like kings. The owner has dedicted himself to serving the best that he has seen in other restaurants around the world; and he knows how to eat well. Fresh omelettes for breakfast with all the fruit you could want, loads of shrimp, lobster and freshly caught fish for lunch and supper. All served in their wonderful dining room, over looking the ocean with great lounge music playing in the background.

Matachica is intimate and casual. You cannot help but feel you are part of a special family of people when staying at the resort. We made many friends along the way; its that kind of place.

I hope all the warm people who work at Matachica are reading this. You are a great team of people who understood that recreating with the guest is equally important to serving. Thanks for sharing your life history as well.

I am in the business of resorts and we try often to deliver "places that create lasting memories for a lifetime". We were lucky to be part of something special. To all of you at Matachica - dont change. You are truly the "Way Vacations Used to Be"

Our Amazing Wedding Moon

by TripAdvisor Member The_Travellers_2007

We stayed at Matachica from the 16th to the 19th November 2007 and got married at the resort on the 17th. What an amazing weekend we had, the only problem we had was that we couldn't stay there any longer!!!. We arrived at the resort by Matachica Boat which had picked us up from San Pedro and were greeted by some of the most friendliest staff we have ever met along with welcome cocktails of our choice. Our luggage was taken care of and taken to our room whilst we checked in. We were then taken to our Casita. Oh my god!! the room was gorgeous, there were flowers strewn accross the bed and crisp white sheets along with big fluffy towels, it was beautiful.
The resort was just as amazing as the room along with some the best food we have ever tasted. Compliments to the chef!!.
Our wedding day was the most perfect day ever. Burga the Wedding Planner had been in contact with us from the beginning when we first started planning our wedding in June. She took care of everything for us from the day itself to my flowers, the cake and our wedding meal afterwards. She and the amazing staff at Matachica helped to make our Wedding Day everything we ever dreamed of, even to arranging a space for us to have our first dance, and of course joining in ha ha!!!
Whilst we were there we decided to use the watersports facility and hired a kayak and some snorkels and went out to the reef which is only about a 15min kayak away. It was probably one of the best snorkelling experiences we have ever had, just being able to tie the kayak to the bouy and discover the underwater world on our own, in our own time was just amazing. The coral and marine life was exceptional and the visibility was perfect.
We met some amazing people at Matachica some of which we hope to keep in touch with. So a big thank you to Burga, the staff and the people we met who made our Weddingmoon so special. It really is an amazing resort with amazing service and staff to match. Highly Recommended and we hope to be back for our 1st Wedding Anniversary.

Belize trip

by RnTPonchyLA

Belize is great!! Would definitely stay a few nights at the Jaguar Paw Lodge. Lots to do and the Cave tubing was one of the coolest things I have ever done. Ariel trek is also worth doing. Travel to the ruins was dissapointing as the main ruin was unavailable secondary to the rain washing out the only ferry to get there. Ambergris caye was also great. Mata chica resort is a pricy place with lots of mosquitos. Place was very cool with a great staff, but don't think i'd stay there again.

Single Travel?

by scheel1430

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Belize for next February. I plan to travel solo. I'm hoping for a relaxing vacation with some adventures. Since I'll be alone, I'd like there to be some type of social scene (but I'm not thinking Cancun crazy, just people around to talk to). I was originally thinking of staying at either Matachica (Amber Cay) or Jaguar Reef (in Dangriga). I am trying to decide whether to go to Ambergis Caye or further South, since I'd like to see the rain forest a bit too. I'm looking for nice beachfront accomodations that aren't too overly priced, b/c the budget is a factor. I'd like it to be easy to eat, drink, relax, go out out on an adventure, and socialize some. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Re: Single Travel?

by AKJ1

Hi
You should at least consider Caye Caulker. Its small. Completely accessible by foot. Its also friendly. We've always found the tourists and the locals to be friendly. It gets several backpackers coming through as well. We've met solo travellers there on each of our 3 trips. One of the things we like is that you keep seeing the same people over and over.

You can take trips to the jungle to see ruins or adventure from Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. You could also split the trip between a caye and something inland.

You might look at Seaside Cabanas as a place to stay. I'm also told that Caye Caulker Condos is quite nice. Seaside is right in the middle of town, such as it is.

If you want, you can click on my name to see my profile. There's a link to our external website there that has reports and several pictures from our trips to Belize. We've been to Placencia, Caye Caulker and San Ignacio.

Re: Single Travel?

by Travmad

You shouldn't have any problems traveling on your own in Belize. Although I would not recommend staying in Belize city as it can be dodgy at night. If you are traveling by bus, which is very good by the way. As for islands consider Tobacco Caye if you want to chill out and meet other travelers but not drunk social dropouts that love Caye Caulker and the like. I'm being real not negative. A trip to the south could ne nice as well Punta Gorda and the outlying areas are not crowded and very friendly. I can give you far more info on the area if your interested. Enjoy your trip and welcome to VT!

Comments