Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Coconut Drive, San Pedro, Belize

More about Pelican Reef Villas Resort

Excellent Choice!!

by TripAdvisor Member airwlk2613

Excellent choice!! I would absolutely recommend this resort to anyone. Well worth every penny. The staff and management can answer any and all questions you may have as well as assist you with any tours you may be interested in. The views are spectacular and the entire resort well kept. The units are beautiful with anything you could need or want. With the granite surfaces, top of the line appliances and fixtures, huge jetted bath tub, the private balconies. The unit we were in had a full size washer and dryer, that was great. We didn't really need to pack near as much as we did. The units have full kitchens and the staff can help you locate a local grocery store if you want to save on eating out or just have plenty of snacks on hand. The large refrigerator came in handy for all the left overs as well. There were lots of great restaurants and the staff was helpful with recommending plenty of choices. It was truly beautiful and relaxing. The place had a welcoming feel. I felt very at home. The owners and the staff are very nice we enjoyed meeting them all. We had a wonderful time and we are looking forward to going back again soon. It was UnBelizable! :)

tips:
- pack light, you don't need much
- come prepared to relax and have fun
- take the flight from BZE to San Pedro
(15 min flight much better than the 2 hr water taxi)
- rent the golf cart for the week - its the best deal
(the staff sets it all up and it was perfect, that is the way everyone gets around and it's fun too!)
- you have to check out the reef and the sharks and stingrays
- we took the zip line tour and loved it

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member bhdunbar

First I want to thank Lori, Mr. Joe and Eliazar for making our stay at Pelican Reef excellent. My girlfriend and I just returned from a week at the Pelican Reef Villas. The service and hospitality is first class. The condos are very nice and the people that work at the resort are hands down some of the best I have ever dealt with. In my opinion this is the best place to stay on the island. It's a 5 minute golf cart ride to the heart of town, the beaches are cleaned at least twice a day and they will bend over backwards to make your trip enjoyable.

We will definitely be back next year.

The best place on the Island

by TripAdvisor Member LibrarianCalifornia

My husband and I just got back from one of the best vacations ever. Pelican Reef is everything eveyone has mentioned and more. Lori and Eliazar are just wonderful. Honestly, when we arrived and were greeted by them, we immediately felt relaxed and at home. In fact, the place is a family affair and we got to know Lori's parents a little too.
The accomodatations are beautiful, very comfortable and roomy. We had a great time exploring the Island in our rented golf cart and laying on the beach.
Thanks for the great time Lori! We look forward to coming back.
Susan

Walkin on the Beach Down at Pelican Reef !!

by TripAdvisor Member BirthdayInBelize

A very pleasant, secure place to stay with first rate service and a view, beach and snorkling pier that is perfect!!! Eliazar at the poolside bar can take care of about everything! The owners, Joe & Rhonda, are friendly, helpful and on site. Manager Lori is also personable and will clue you in on what there is to do. They feel like friends & family now!

Loved Ambergris Caye & Pelican Reef Villas

by TripAdvisor Member KimberlyMJ

My husband and I, along with our two teenage daughters, spent a week on Ambergris Caye over Spring Break in March, 2008. We stayed at Pelican Reef in a pool-front, ocean view 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo. The condo was beautiful and very comfortable. The kitchen was perfectly appointed if you are interested in cooking, which we did not do. I loved the many balconies in our condo. The bathrooms were lovely and perfectly sized with tons of towels in both linen closets. Also, a washer and dryer right in the condo sure came in handy. The beds were very comfy too. The resort was quiet at night and aside from the sounds of kids splashing in the pool, was pretty quiet in general.

The staff at Pelican Reef are eager to accommodate anything you need. Lori organized a day trip to the mainland for my husband, complete with flight, taxi, and guide for a photographic outing. He got some great pics, and fell in love with the friendliness of the locals.

The town of San Pedro was a lot of fun. We rented a golf cart for the week through Pelican Reef and made regular trips into town to people watch, eat, and browse shops. We also used the kayaks Pelican Reef provides (at no charge) to paddle out into the Caribbean Sea to the Barrier Reef. It was beautiful. Other outings included a half day snorkel outing, and a full day Mayan tour. Both trips were a lot of fun. The tour guides (arranged by Lori at Pelican Reef) were outstanding, professional, fun, and extremely knowledgeable.

We were a little taken aback by the price of groceries on the island. My daughter's and I particularly found the $15 (Belize currency) Chips Ahoy cookies, a topic of endless jokes throughout the week when any of us ate one. It was much less costly to eat in the local restaurants. I didn't check out some of the small convenience type stores on the island....perhaps they have some lower prices. Not sure. Do try the French Bakery just North of the airport on Ambergris...the pastries, breads, and pizzas were blissful and reasonably priced. The place is gorgeous too and the woman working there was very kind. The name is Hacal Kiik Bakery & Cafe. Definitely go there.

I don't recall the bartender's name at Pelican Reef, but he was so friendly, helpful, and makes great Coco Loco's! We miss them terribly! There's always fresh coffee at the bar in the morning too.

We can't wait to return to Pelican Reef. It was a very relaxing, low-key, fun, family trip. Enjoy!

Loved, Loved, Loved Pelican Reef

by TripAdvisor Member Imabeachlover

My husband, college age son and I stayed 9 nights at Pelican Reef resort. We had contacted Lori, the resort manager directley to book our vacation. She also arranged our air transportation from Belize City, cab to the resort, our golf cart rental, and several dive and fishing excursions. It was so nice to have everything handled for us before we even left home.

We were thrilled when we arrived after a short taxi ride to a beautiful tropical paradise. We were greeted by Lori and Eliazar, the bartender and Lori's right hand man, and had a seat at the cave bar (very cool) while our luggage was taken to our condo.
The condo was beautiful and had everything we needed from a fully stocked kitchen to a washer and dryer. It was beautifully furnished.

There are plenty of chairs at the pool and the beach and we never felt like we needed to get up early to claim some chairs. There is a long dock with a palapa at the end. All of our excursions picked us up there. We dove with Ecological divers and they were top notch with experienced dive masters, small groups, and the best equipment we have ever rented while diving on vacation.

I highly recommend renting a golf cart. There was ample parking for it beside the condo and it was alot of fun to hop on for the ride into town for dinner and shopping.

The cave bar, pool area, was the gathering place for all of the vacationers. It was fun visiting with the other guests and especially Joe and Rhonda the resort developers and full time residents. There are also the sweet resort "mascot dogs" Budda and India.

The location was perfect. Far enough away from San Pedro to escape the noise but close enough for a 10-15 minute golf cart ride into town. There is also a small grocery store, Mr. Joe's, a short 3 minute walk. They had the basics and also served great inexspensive breakfast and lunches.

Lori and Eliazar were also great at making suggestions for dinner and making the reservations for us. I was suprised at the number of really great restaurants there were. We had excellant meals at Wild Mango's, Casa Picasso, and Sunset Grill just to name a few.

We had a wonderful and relaxing vacation and plan on going back to Ambergris Caye. We will definately stay at Pelican Reef again. Lori has spoiled us.

Best Spot in Belize!

by TripAdvisor Member victoriah

We just returned from 8 days in Belize for our wedding/honeymoon.

I would highly recommend Pelican Reef. The staff was excellent. They really went out of their way to make sure our vacation was perfect and took care of all our needs, from picking us up at the airport and having a golf cart waiting for us when we arrived to making all of the arrangements for any excursions you want to take.

Everyone there always has a smile on their face and are eager to answer any questions you may have whether it be restaurant, excursion or night life choices. They know all there is to know about the area.

I also can't say enough about how safe it is. Funny story - My mother called one day looking for us and Elizar informed her that he had not seen us all day. (We came in very late the night before and left around 5 for an early Mayan Ruin trip.) As the number of times my mother called increased, the more worried Elizar became. We arrived that evening and everyone was so happy. Not only were we all ok but I could let my mother know so the phone would stop ringing. Their security is excellent. They actually (as much as possible) log when guests leave and return. The day we were "missing", Lori and Elizar called the local airlines and even the golf cart rental company to track us.
Even though we meant to be on a remote, deserted island and happy to be away from any cellular towers, it was nice to know someone was looking out for us.

Our villa was beautiful, very clean, and quiet. My best friend went with us so we had a two bedroom and it was perfect. It would be great for a family or two couples. We were worried about privacy but the floorplans of the condos are excellent. Very spacious and each bedroom is completely separate and private. From the pier in front of our villa we saw sharks, tarpon, ballyhoo, star fish, crabs, turtles, barracuda, sting rays and many other beautiful fish.
We were married on the beach at Pelican Reef. The manager, Lori, took care of everything. It was as easy as getting married in Vegas but much more romantic. Just complete one form and she can take care of everything else from the legalities to the minister.

If you are looking for a comfortable, relaxing 5 star resort then look no further. Pelican Reef has the best location on Ambergris Caye and the condos are furnished and equipped with anything you could possibly need.
If you have any questions about Pelican Reef or Ambergris Caye please feel free to email me at victoriazzc@yahoo.com

Pelican Reef Villas & Eliazar are in a Class of Their Own

by TripAdvisor Member SnorkelRagazza

My husband, son, and I spent a week at Pelican Reef Villas last month. It was absolutely wonderful. We had a 2-bedroom unit and the pictures previously posted are accurate. The owners, Joe and Rhonda, were very pleasant. Eliazar was our bartender (he makes great drinks!), “tour arranger,” and general host. He was great, to say the least. Eliazar arranged great tours for us, handled all of the details, and made everything easy. He answered our endless questions about life in San Pedro and on Amgergris Caye. He even graciously helped us go through garbage when I discovered I had accidently thrown out a plastic bag that had newly purchased earrings it. He is an extremely valuable asset to PRV.

The units are very nice, spacious, and comfortable. The resort is almost new and it has a large beautiful pool with a swim-up bar. There is an abundance of white, sandy beach in front of the resort, with lots of lounge chairs, a hammock, etc. (They clean and sweep the beach area each day.) With the sea grass at the water’s edge, you don’t walk into the water and wade out to swim or snorkel. Instead, you just walk to the end of the resort’s pier and jump in the water. It was great.

Our entire stay was very relaxing. The view from our unit was wonderful. There were two decks and I really enjoyed sitting on the balcony (that was adjacent to the master bedroom) each morning while I drank coffee, listened to the many birds, and enjoyed the beachfront view. The full kitchen was nice to have because it allowed us to have a simple breakfast on the mornings that we elected to take early tours. We drank the water from the kitchen fridge (it has an additional filter) and we didn’t have a single problem. We also had housekeeping service each day, which we didn’t expect. This included making the beds, fresh towels, and any dishes that may have been in the sink were washed. (Wonderful!) There is a small grocery store (“Mr. Joes”) located just a short distance down the road that also serves great inexpensive breakfast tacos, and sandwiches for lunch.

Generally speaking, the food was fantastic and not as expensive as I expected. Most of our dinners included appetizers, drinks, entrées, and dessert for three, with the average cost being $130. We ate at Sunset Grill (great place to watch the sunset), Wild Mangos, Blue Water Grill, El Patio, and Carumbas. All of them had great seafood and I would highly recommend them.

We didn’t notice any mosquitos and I’m not sure if it was the time of year, the fact that it didn’t rain at all, or both. The weather and temp were great – always a nice breeze. In fact, when the sun went down the evenings were very mild. (We liked it better than Hawaii, and we like Hawaii.)

We had an all-day catamaran excursion (tour) to Caye Caulker. It was a bit too long – lots of sitting as we slowly sailed to the Caye. It included two snorkel stops, but the one at Hol Chan lasted roughly 30 minutes, and the stop at Shark Ray Alley was less than that. (The usual tour operator used by the resort wasn’t available on the day we went, and we were not impressed with the substitute. We should have waited for another day._ We had two hours at Caye Caulker for lunch, but there wasn’t much there besides heat with a limited breeze and vendors selling hand-made items. (The prices were fairly good.) Overall, I would recommend doing a half-day to Caye Caulker if you’re interested in going.

Eliazar set us up on an all-day excusion with Freedom Tours that was fantastic. It was just the three of us and the price was very reasonable. The owner, Hillybo, took us fishing, boating around part of the island, to a private beach barbeque with homemade tortillas, veggies, and fish, where he even cracked open a fresh coconut for us so that we try the milk and the meat. He then took us over to Mata Rocks to snorkel – an area that is very beautiful with lots of different coral and fish. (The three of us agree, hands down, that this was the best day.)

We also went on the Lamainai tour with SeaRious Tours. It is a long day as it takes two boat rides down two rivers and a 45 minute bus ride. However, the guides were entertaining and Lamanai is very interesting. I would recommend this tour as it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience visiting Mayan ruins, especially since you can climb to the top of two of the ruins.

We rented a golf cart for the week as PRV is about 2 miles or so south of San Pedro. (This is the way to go.) The price is cheaper by the week and we enjoyed having the golf cart ready anytime we wanted to go. (Almost all of the transportation is by golf cart.) It really helped not having to plan and schedule our day based on transportation. San Pedro is a fun town and we spent quite a bit of time driving around the town and the surrounding area.

If you like snorkeling, you are set because you can snorkel right off the end of the pier at PRV, or take one of their free kayaks out to the reef. We saw lots of fish, spider crabs, moray eels, barracuda, etc. and enjoyed being able to just walk to the end of the pier and jump in – no excursion, no boat to catch, or as they like to say, “no problem.” (I do have to admit Hol Chan and Mata Rocks were awesome.)

Pelican Reef Villas is the place to go and I wish I was there right now . . . .

UNBELIZABLE!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member farina1

My wife and I stayed at the Pelican Reef Villas for 10 days on our honeymoon. Words cannot describe oue experience at PRV. The property was one word, UNBELIZABLE. Our villa/condo was all the ammenities that you would have at home in the states. We stayed on the bottom floor and were literally steps from the beach. The beach was beautiful and spent every afternoon catching a nap on the hammocks under the palm trees. The pier off the beach is where my wife and I spent most of our time. Under the pier was a artificial reef where we snorkeled and seen hundreds of different fish. At night time the night before we left we spent time on the pier with a bottle of champagne under the stars and it was amazing. If you are looking for a totally relaxing vacation on a beautiful property PRV is absolutely for you!!!

As far as the staff goes, I have never ever had such good customer service in MY LIFE. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. Lori can not do enough for you. If you need to book a trip off the resort or make a dinner reservation in town Lori will take care of everything. We even went on a awsome snorkeling, fishing and beach BBQ (Caribean Tours w/ Oliver **a must**) tour and got back an hour early and Lori got us a $100 dollars back from the company. The staff will pamper you like you have never been pampered before. I cannot say enough about Lori and her staff. You won't be disappointed and rest assure if you choose PRV you made the right decision. Thanks PRV you are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Get Away

by TripAdvisor Member dcrane23

Our stay at Pelican Reef was wonderful. The property was so pretty and our room looked like no one had ever stayed there. The service was excellent. We hope to go back soon!

Comments