3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Coconut Drive, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• doug91's Profile Photo

Diving convenience

Ramon's is a dive resort. Which is to say, stay there for the diving, go elsewhere for the food and drinks and entertainment. The rooms are comfortable, although they're a bit on the pricey side for what they are. Make sure to request a room that doesn't back up to the road -- we were awakened several times at night by revellers going up and down the main drag. Not many of the rooms back up to the street, so with advance booking, you should be able to get something quieter.

The restaurant is not bad, but there are much better options for eating -- better both for value and for quality -- a short walk down the beach. Drinks at the bar are particularly pricey.

But the diving! Ramon's has their own dive operation, lockers, instructors, gear rental, you name it. Their instructors and dive leaders are first class, and we met several people that were on return trips to dive there. And when you stand out on Ramon's dock, you can see the waves breaking over the reef -- which means short boat rides, comfortable surface intervals back at the resort, and easy multi-dive days.

I'm hesitant to say "stay elsewhere, dive with Ramon's," because the rooms were nice (and because I haven't stayed elsewhere). I will say, however, to dive with Ramon's, but eat elsewhere. But in any event, dive with Ramon's.

Unique Quality: Small pool, population of semi-feral cats, private dock, on-site dive operation.

Directions: Right behind the airport.

• duelmen's Profile Photo

San Pedro's Best Accomodation

I can't believe this place wasn't already listed as a hotel in San Pedro. It is by far the best place to stay when in San Pedro. It has the nicest rooms as well as nicest beaches. It was apparent by the number of locals using the beach, that they knew where to go.

I would highly recommend this place.

Unique Quality: Great rooms, walk 50 meters from room to water.

More about Ramon's Village Resort

Incredible Time at Ramons Village

by TripAdvisor Member RKNRAVEN

My fiance and I were marriend at Ramons Village on Sunday May 29th. We were lucky enough to have 35 Friends and Family join us. Of the 35, 25 were guests with us at Ramons Village. I must say that we have been lucky enough to be able to travel alot in the past years and we must say that Ramons will go down as one most memorable experiances that we have had. Not just for the beautiful setting on the nicest beach in Ambergris Caye but mostly for how we and our guests were treated. The staff at Ramons was AWESOME! We spent about 1/2 hour with the Mangagers a couple of days before the wedding deciding where to have the wedding and recepiton and we settled for the beach for both. After that 1/2 hr we left every thing to the Staff at Ramons and we must say it turned out ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! The staff from teh front desk, resteraunt , dive shop (Rick), and PURPLE PARROT Bar (Julio) went out of their way to make sure we all had a GREAT time and a GREAT time was had by All. Rick at the Dive shop hooked us up with the Catamaran "Seaduced" for some tours and these guys were GREAT !!! THe bartender Julio made sure we always had plenty of Rum Punch!! We could have never guessed it would be so easy to set up a wedding so far away, with 35 guests joining in and not one problem arises !

Thanks To Ramons Village for making our weddding and our friends and Family's vacaiton such a wonderful time and memorable piece in our lives!!

I can assure you that Ramons Village will have our gang as guests for years to come!!!

We loved Ramon's

by TripAdvisor Member alwayz_on_vacation

We stayed at Ramon's for 7 nights (Thanksgiving week). We travel alot and were truely impressed with the beautifully manicured grounds and our ocean front guest suite. The room was small, however, the second floor thatched high ceiling made it seem open and airy. I would definitely recommend a room with a view. . .the chairs, oh so comfortable, and the sunrise beautiful. We also spent time every night, before going to dinner, relaxing with a cocktail on the balcony.

The a/c in our room worked great, as well as 2 ceiling fans.

The beach at Ramons was much better than I anticipated and is one of the best on the island. I loved floating in the water on my raft and relaxing on the hammocks.

We went on an all day snorkling trip to Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley and Caye Caulker. It was incredible. We also snorkled under the pier at ramons. . .saw a huge ray, bull shark and many, many fish.

We enjoyed breakfast each morning at Ramons. I especially liked the fry cakes with jelly and the lobster omeletes. The banana pancakes were my second favorite. For dinner we enjoyed Bluewater Grill, Caramba, The Reef, Fidos, and El Patio the best. Elvis and the jerk chicken were just OK.

For cocktails try the purple parrot at Ramons Bar (the Purple Parrot) and banana coladas anywhere are excellent. If you want to buy beer, go left out of ramons and buy directly from the distribution center. It will save you about $12/case.

Town is an easy walk up the beach from Ramons, however, rent a golf cart for the day and check out the other hotels, see the crocodile feedings everyday at 4:30 (by the water tower) and hit wet willies for happy hour.

The only negatives that I can think of are the pesty mosquitos and biting sand bugs. Also, watch for jelly fish and sharp objects, like shells, etc in the water. While playing frisbee in front of Ramons, a friend stepped on something and cut his foot bad enough to require stitches.

I definitely recommend a trip to ambergris caye and ramons village. It is a beautiful island and hotel and the locals are soooo friendly.

excellent experience

just returned fron 4 nites at ramons. after reading some trip advisor reviews, i was a little hesitante about the resort. i am so glad that i was proved wrong. everything was really great! the accomodations, the service, the food, all were very good. after walking the beach, and renting a golf cart, we felt we had seen most of the properties on the island, and felt we had certianly selected one of the best. the beach was wonderful, the diving and snorkling great and the location is excellent. if someone hasnt been to a third world country, they could be a bit "put off", but just get into the island spirit, relax, take off your shoes and be happy to be at such a pretty place.

Had a great time at Ramon's!

Okay, okay, I read the reviews here, too before I headed down and was a bit worried. We stayed at Ramon's because that is what our dive shop recommended, since they use the resort when they organize trips to Belize. We were not disappointed. We just returned yesterday and wish we were still there.
We stayed in a seaside room (22 to be exact) and had no noise problems or racoons in the ceiling (although I did actually see one scapper across the grounds-so they may still be around). The staff was extremely helpful, curteous, and very friendly. When we jumped off our little Cessna, one of our bags didn't make it on the plane (back your swimsuit in your purse/ backback - that's all you need). It came on the next flight and the Ramon's staff picked it up so it was in our room when we came back from the beach. True, the rooms are a bit tacky (they could do without the ugly 'seascape' border), but on the whole, clean and comfortable (a/c and a ceiling fan). If you can, I would book an ocean front as there is almost always a strong breeze and you can let the windows open instead of using the a/c which can be loud (I think it is only $10 more than a seaside). There are no TVs in the rooms, and belive me, you don't miss it. Going one week without my cell phone, e-mail, and TV was WONDERFUL! The grounds are beautiful and lush and well cared for. The beach is one of the best around San Pedro, a lot of other people come to Ramon's to lay on the beach (don't worry, not too many).
We pre-booked a dive package and decided to do our advanced open water course while we were there (our already paid dives were put toward the course). Our instructor Gilberto was great as well as all the rest of the dive-masters and instructors there (Palma, Adolfo, Orlando, Cha Cha all rock!) Conditions could have been better for diving, the wind caused one day of diving to be called off - that's okay b/c we just slept in the hammocks, had some wonderful drinks, and relaxed. Definitely do the blue hole trip, we thought it was worth the $$ and the 6 hours in the boat there and back (we saw about 12 reef sharks in the hole, then manta rays and turtles @ the other wall dives we did on that trip).
Words of caution: Belize (at least San Pedro) is not your super touristy, high-profile-hotel kind of place. They do not have miles and miles of beautiful sand beaches. They do not have a lot of reliable, modern infrastructure (the power does go out - happened twice) and the majority of buildings look as though they may fall apart. And it is HOT HOT HOT! There are dogs and cats running all over the place (most friendly, but don't let your kids chase them around-they can snap) It is extremely laid back (I didn't wear shoes for a week!). We were not looking for luxury, just a good time and we found it here at Ramon's and would definitely go back again. One negative - their food is not the best and it's pricey. We went to BC's up the beach (picture), almost every day for lunch, great HUGE burritos and you MUST, absolutely must, go there for Sunday BBQ - unbelivable, I'm salivating just thinking about it!!!! We also frequented a 'locals' place, Papi's Diner (3 nights over the week we were there). It's a bit far, 25 minute walk, but you can have it delivered. Again, it was basically a shack with some plastic tables, but the beer was cold and the food good (and reasonably priced!) We borrowed cutlery from the Ramon's restaurant and ate on our little porch.
I would recommend Ramon's to anyone, and San Pedro to those who want a bit of an adventure. Places further north of town are apparently beautiful, but all the restaurants, shops, and nightlife(if you can call it that) are in San Pedro. Ramon's is located pretty centrally, you can walk everywhere (grocery store, airport, restaurants).
Again, we had a great time and hope to go back some day soon!!!!!!!!

Absolutely Wonderful

Ramon's Village is outstanding. We spent a week here and had not a single complaint. Their signature drink the Purple Parrot is yummy! We focused on diving daily with one adventure trip to the mainland. The staff is wonderful, super polite and very helpful. We met a local man Rolando who is contracted to the resort as a dive master. We were fortunate to dive with him each time we went out and had an amazing time. Roland is funny and makes you feel very at ease. We also booked a day with Rolando for a morning dive followed by snorkeling/spear fishing after which Rolando took us to a beach to BBQ our catch. We highly recommend taking the Lamanai tour which included a river trip followed by exploring the mayan ruins. Also take the time to rent a golf cart and explore the Island. We drove up Island and had so much fun people watching and taking photos. The scenery is beautiful! We also had excellent weather the entire time we were on Ambergris Caye.
This trip is something I highly recommend to everyone!

Ramons Rocks! No other place on the island like it!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member steamroll9

Spent a week @ Ramons in the begining of July. What a great time we had! Went with 2 friends and stayed in the beach front cabana. The room was great, tropical decor, beautiful island flowers, and kick butt AC!!! We only saw a little drizzle, which was great seeing as how it was the supposed rainy season. The staff is very friendly and helpful After a couple of days you will know everyone by name. Nothing like having drinks brought to you while your in the pool. The beach is by far alot nicer than other establishments. The hammock huts are great! Ramons peir is great, I highly reccomend buying a snorkel set before you go, it is amazing how many fish are under the pier. One thing about the pier though, at times there are way too many local kids hanging out there, mainly because they know it's the best place to swinm and snorkel. It can be a pain when there are 10 kids on the stairs and u wanna get out of the water, but it adds to the charm of this great island. Another note, you will be approached by many kids trying to sell stuff while laying out on the beach, they aren't too anoying if u know how to handle them. You can book any excursions you'd like at the dive shop on the pier, they are very helpful. Another great thing about ramons is its proxemity to the town, it's sooo close. Ramons does have cart rentals, but go across the street ad get a gas one(u'll thank me l8r). The ambiance s great, most of the time they have music playing all over the resort. Only negative is prob the food, not the best, by far. Breakfast is great(u can't really screw it up), i reccomend adding daily breakfast to ur stay, and for pete's sake, eat the fry jacks with the jam, sooooo good. The Beach BBQ is cool as well. If you want a solid meal, try Elvi's, amazing food, cheap. Or walk up the beach to banyan bay. Overall, I know at some point in my life I will be returning. If anyone needs any advice, feel free to email me!

Understand What Ramon's Village is like befor your stay

My 16 year old son and I stayed for a week at Ramon's Village so that we could dive for his winter vacation. It is wonderful to have an on site dive shop that was fairly well run and this was true of Ramon's. My son and I stayed in one of the thached roof cabanas which were not located on the beach. They were very picturesque from the outside and the landscaping was very nice. Inside, however they were not so nice. There was no carpet of any kind on the floor and no amount of sweeping could keep the sand off of anything. The furniture was some what thrift store quality and the shower was small fiber glass stall and when you looked at the drain you could see the sand under the bathroom. I don't even want to think about where the toiliot drained. The rooms have thatched rooms which are very quaint, however no amount of air conditioning can over come the humidity let in by that type of roof. During the day no amount of a/c could keep it cool. Also the rooms we had were probably no more than 10 feet from the main road and you felt like the vehicles and people were going to come right through the wall. On the positive side the beach was nice as was the bar and pool. The food at the restaurand was weak, however you are in easy walking distance from lots of nice places to eat on the beach. Ramon's is most of all a destination for divers and I guess they can over look the aminities. I would rather stay at Victoria House or Banyon Bay.

Anyone have any info on Ramons Village - Belize ?

by dtrosen

I am thinking of staying at Ramon's Village. Has anyone had any negative or positive experiences there ? Any sugestions ? I see that the only private accomodations are the honeymoon suites but those are usually booked - If I stay in one of the casitas on the beach (which are actually 2 levels ) are they noisy since you are sharing a wall with someone else and also the ceiling if you stay on the bottom floor ? Should I make a point of getting a room on the top floor ? Any other suggestions for more private accomodations in the same area and price range ? I was thinking about Captain Morgans, but they charge $285 a night ...

Thanks

Re: Anyone have any info on Ramons Village - Belize ?

by BZEGuide

Hi :
Ramons is a realy nice place to Stay. I is located next to the airstrip and within walking distance of the main streets, Restuarants, Clus and Discos. Please contact maya travel services for advice as they are experienced and kowledgeable of Ramons Vilage.

thanks

Re: Anyone have any info on Ramons Village - Belize ?

by lazyriverman

Ramon's is very nice, but you should give Ruby's Hotel a look. It's a very basic little hotel -- certainly no resort -- but you can't beat the location (right on Front Street) and the price ($35 US for oceanfront.) We spent 8 nights there over New Years and had a great time. Save your $$$ for other things? Check out Ruby's at www.ambergriscaye.com/rubys/index.htm

Comments