3/4 mile Cristo Rey Road, San Ignacio, Belize
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Maya Mountain Lodge

Maya Mountain Lodge a hidden gem

by TripAdvisor Member Cl0udwatcher

In March, 2007, we visited Maya Mountain Lodge in central Belize.
We'd been told by former visitors to expect to enjoy the Lodge, but we were pleased beyond our expectations. The setting in western Belize in the jungle-y foothills of the Maya Mountains was lovely, putting us near fascinating Mayan sites and towns of present-day cultural interest. Clean and cheerful accommodations were welcoming. The pool was clean and refreshing, though not large. Above all, the kitchen wins prizes. Such meals as would be a delight anywhere, were graciously served as we watched Toucans, hummingbirds and listened for Howler monkeys. Trips organized by the owners took us to Tikal, Chech em ha, and Xunantunich, with good guides who lovingly introduced us to these wonders. We were at the Lodge for three nights and would have welcomed more.

Maya Mountain Lodge, San Ignacio

by sk12345 about Nice place in the jungle

We stayed @ Maya Mountain Lodge (http://www.mayamountain.com/) in San Ignacio. We liked that it is a family owned (not the pushy commercial, big hotel type, and “focusing on how to get more money out of your pocket” type) place. The price depends on the season, how long you stay, what activities, accommodation, meals you need). The owners: Bart and Suzie were very kind, patient, and helpful, treated us as family, and assisted us with anything we needed. They made sure we have enough food, snacks, drinks for lunch (lunch is included in the tour price if the tour takes at least ¾ day). They had a water cooler (5 Gallon) with filtered water in the dining room for guests. Their lodge is on top of the hill in Santa Elena (Santa Elena and San Ignacio are small cities connected by a bridge), with a few acres with jungle vegetation. We eat breakfast & (5 course) dinner there every day during our stay which was fantastic. We also enjoyed meeting and sharing information with other guests around dinner time. The staff is very friendly (you will get to know them by name; Melody, Mercy, Emily Carlos, etc.), the service is excellent (anything you need in your room, or another hammock for your porch, or at dinner, or you wish to go on a tour they are happy to assist you). You will hear crickets at night, different birds in the morning which made the experience like a luxurious camping (with comfortable beds, room service, your own bathroom, shower, and quiet A/C, and fan). We visited the pool every day, it was awesome. We also did the 45 minute nature trail (a bit uphill in the jungle vegetation) that is located on the lodge’s property (and leaves from the pool area).

I don’t recommend walking from San Ignacio to the Lodge (approx. 25 min. walk), since it is too hot there, and the walk back to the lodge is uphill. Taxi cost only a few USD between “downtown” San Ignacio and the Lodge.

Cristo Rey -- Village outside of San Ignacio

by ksdhood

Spend some exploring the small villages surrounding San Ignacio! This small village, Cristo Rey, was very sweet. From Santa Elena (San Ignacio's sister town) -- Take Cristo Rey Road (towards San Antonio) -- many buses travel this route -- Pass Maya Mountain Lodge, and Cristo Rey is another few kilometres from here. Cristo Rey is a pretty village that sets on a high bank above the Macal River. I stayed with Orlando and Lillette Madrid (who run the Sandals Restaurant) -- they have a few very simple and inexpensive cabins. It costs $8(US). I enjoyed meandering around this place -- and enjoyed my exchanges with the locals!

Loved every Minute

by TripAdvisor Member DeathValleyTheWalker

Hi to all,
I would like to say how happy I am to be able to write this review.
The Maya Mountain Lodge is by far the best place I have had the pleasure of staying at. The owners greeted me each day and the employees always had a smile and a friendly greetint to give away. The service was excellent! They took care of me as if I were family. I have been to over 40 countries and this was the best Lodge I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. Thanks once again to the Maya Mountain Lodge.
Jay Snow
Death Valley, Ca.

Excellent place from which to adventure forth and cool heels

by TripAdvisor Member Bambaye

We were two families with 8 year old kids. We stayed 4 nights at Maya Mountain lodge and had a great time. The trips they planned were perfect for us, the food was great, the staff very accomidating and interesting.
We canoed into caves, on rivers, went to Tikal and drove on a lot of back roads. This would have been hard for us to do in such a condenced format on our own. Maya Mt. Lodge did an excellent job of organizing these trips. I look forward to going back for the more rugged trips when the kids are older.

Average at the Mountain

by TripAdvisor Member jamrollmama

The grounds of the Maya Mountain Lodge are lush and beautiful. The staff is also very friendly. The food was also quite tasty and the variety was great. However we stayed in the Agouti cabin and it certainly left much to be desired. Our cabin was in need of an upgrade. We were told the AC was a new unit however it did not work the entire time we were there. The bathroom needed to be patched in various spots. Large ants were coming through these holes. The door had gaps at the top and bottom which may have been why each night we had about five geckos in our room-which get quite loud at night. I feel for the price we paid our paticular cabin should have been better. Another side note-the lodge is not directly in the city which is nice because of the natural beauty that surrounds it but it really doesn't leave any other dining options unless you call a taxi to take you back into the city.

Food was 'Awesome'

by TripAdvisor Member Family5HB

My family of five (kids 15, 13 and 11) just had a fantastic stay at the Maya Mountain Lodge. Everything was arranged for us including our trip to and from the airport - I didn't have to worry about a thing. The food was fabulous. I overheard one of my kids describing the food as "Awesome" to a friend at home. The grounds were beautiful and the open air dining room was the best part. The meals were delicious and plentiful. The cooking staff even prepared my dishes without cilantro at my request.

We went on the Tikal, Barton Cave Canoeing, Big Rock Waterfall and Mopan River canoe trip tours and enjoyed every second of them. Everything was arranged by the lodge and all we had to concern ourselves with was tipping our guides who were all knowledgable, friendly and helpful.

Our family cabana was perfect for a jungle retreat. The kids loved the hammock outside our cabana and only wished there were three of them! We really were treated as guests by the owners Bart and Suzie. They came around during meal times and chatted about our day with us. Late in the evening, the kids played board games with other kids in the dining area - we were told this was our home and we were welcome to hang out there all we wanted.

My husband and I had stayed here back in 1989, before we had kids and enjoyed our experience so much that we wanted to bring our kids here.

It was a great trip and we hope to go back again some day soon.

[-]

Great Hideaway

by TripAdvisor Member Happylodgers

My husband and I had been traveling for over two weeks and wanted a few days of rest away from Belize City. We were directed to this resort in the Cayo District. What a fortunate occurance!!!
The grounds were of a lush jungle-like atmosphere and well kept. The huts were clean and comfortable, and provided adequate privacy without isolating.
The best part of staying at this establishment was the staff. They gave us a warm welcome and made us thoroughly at home. Divar, the receptionist in attendace upon our arrival was pleasantly accommodating. He settled us in quickly and without incident. During our entire stay we experienced the best hospitality ever by a hotel staff. Carlos who regularly served our meals, was always smiling. The kitchen staff always turned out outstanding meals with a personal touch. Melody, another of the receptionist, never ran short of patience. Not only were they friendly toward us but they showed the same consideration among themselves which added to our enjoyment of being there. Infact we felt very fortunate to experience such open hospitality.
Bart and Susan, the owners of the Maya Mountain Lodge were clearly very involved in the operations. They are doing a great job and service to people like my husband and I who needed quiet relaxation. They also provide numerous nature tours to the adventure lover, for there is so much to see and experience in Belize.

Great when 6 Mos pregnant

by TripAdvisor Member Pregnant

We stayed @ Maya Mountain Lodge ([--]) in San Ignacio. We liked that it is a family owned (not the pushy commercial, big hotel type, and “focusing on how to get more money out of your pocket” type) place. The price depends on the season, how long you stay, what activities, accommodation, meals you need). The owners: Bart and Suzie were very kind, patient, and helpful, treated us as family, and assisted us with anything we needed. They made sure we have enough food, snacks, drinks for lunch (lunch is included in the tour price if the tour takes at least ¾ day). They had a water cooler (5 Gallon) with filtered water in the dining room for guests. Their lodge is on top of the hill in Santa Elena (Santa Elena and San Ignacio are small cities connected by a bridge), with a few acres with jungle vegetation. We eat breakfast & (5 course) dinner there every day during our stay which was fantastic. We also enjoyed the flute Suzie played @ dinner time, and meeting and sharing information with other guests around dinner time. The staff is very friendly (you will get to know them by name; Melody, Mercy, Emily Carlos, etc.), the service is excellent (anything you need in your room, or another hammock for your porch, or at dinner, or you wish to go on a tour they are happy to assist you). You will hear crickets at night, different birds in the morning which made the experience like a luxurious camping (with comfortable beds, room service, your own bathroom, shower, and quiet A/C, and fan). We visited the pool every day, it was awesome. We also did the 45 minute nature trail (a bit uphill in the jungle vegetation) that is located on the lodge’s property (and leaves from the pool area).

The price of the ¾ and all day tours include lunch too. In San Ignacio we did the following tours:
-Barton Creek canoeing (W/ Andy Bahadur. You go through Amish community, canoe in a cave. It took ¾ day. This road was the bumpiest)
-Cave tubing near Jaguar Paw (W/ Andy Bahadur. This was the prettiest, the best, and most relaxing. You tube on the river through 3 caves – one had a waterfall inside -, then view beautiful jungle around you. ¾ day)
-Xunantunich Ruins (with Hugh Daly) is very close to San Ignacio, and the Guatemalan border. This is a half day tour (we did it in the AM, because of the heat), so we combined it with Cahal Pech.
-Cahal Pech Ruins (with Hugh Daly) is in San Ignacio. Half day (PM recommended)
-Tikal (with Hugo). All day. Awesome, the BEST ruins, DO NOT MISS IT. I heard shopping (e.g. Souvenirs) in Guatemala is better and cheaper than in Belize, but we found more selection, better quality, and prices (e.g. hammocks max. $50 USD) in San Ignacio (Indita Maya Store) than anywhere else in Belize & Guatemala.
-We went to the market in San Ignacio (Open every Saturday 8-2), tasted different fruits, food. It was fun.

Guides - San Ignacio:
- Andy Bahadur ([--] or [--], Ph# [--] or Cell# [--]. Overall the BEST guide. He is a nice latino guy in his late 20s. Speaks great English. VERY knowledgeable, funny, kind, intelligent, has Assoc. Degree in tourism. Management, he vas very attentive, waited for us on tours, took it easy (not rushed us). He does a lots of activity (canoe, cave tubing etc.) and some other tours (e.g. Caracol, Xunantinich, Mountain Pine Ridge, Tikal etc.)
- Hugh Daly (black guy in his 40s, knowledgeable, funny, very nice, kind, catering, had the biggest accent out of the guides. Addr.: 16 7th ST, San Ignacio. Belize, Central America)
- Hugo (Latino guy in his early 40s. He was the perfect tour guide to take us to TIKAL. He is Guatemalan and Belizian guide, so he was able to take us over to Guatemala and was very knowledgeable about the Tikal ruins (You need to be Guatemalan guide to take tourist to the Tikal ruins).

Wonderful experiance

by TripAdvisor Member cavewolf00

I had a wonderful time. The meals were always a surprise with great variety. The amounts were more than I could eat with seconds being offered. I gained weight in 8 days.
The service was very good with someone always available and attentive.
The guided trips were fantasic. Barton Creek, Actun Tunich with the skeliton and a trip to Tikal were very well done. The quides are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Rooms are neat and clean. The pool is just wonderful.

Has anyone stayed at Maya Mountain Lodge in Cayo District?

by lcard11

I was recommended Maya Mountain Lodge for my inland portion of the trip. Have you stayed there, and if so, how was it? Thanks!

RE: Has anyone stayed at Maya Mountain Lodge in Cayo District?

by Alaskan_Adventurer

Hello. I traveled to Belize last year and stayed at Maya Mountain lodge for 3 days. They did a wonderful job with the tours and the food was quite interesting(multiple course meals). Be sure to do the ATM cave tour. It was amazing and will most likely be doing it again when I head back next year. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Has anybody stayed at?

by Belizemeko

My family and I are traveling to Belize in August would like to stay at a jungle lodge while in the Cayo District. Considering Black Rock Lodge, Maya Mountain Lodge, or MET. Has anyone ever stayed at any of these locations? Also going to spend a few days on Ambergris Caye and are considering making reservations at Caribe Island Resort any input on that would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

RE: Has anybody stayed at?

by hunterpark

I stayed at five sisters lodge in the Cayo district. It was nice nice if you like thatched roofs. They have a really nice swimming area with a waterfall. THe Black Rock Lodge is close to a big river. Make sure you do the trip to Tikal in Guatemala. It was great. I stayed on Caye Caulker and went to Ambergis Caye for a day trip. I enjoyed Caye Caulker much more than Ambergis Caye as it was not as crowded. I stayed at the Iguana reef Inn and it was nice. Very clean and reasonably priced.

Comments