Branch Mouth Road, San Ignacio, Belize

Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

• drwillis61's Profile Photo

Birds paradise along the river

This collection of little cottages is well kept and enjoyable. Request a seperate cottage for the most privacy. Breakfast is good, but no other meals are offered. Beer is available most of the day. Be prepared to deal with low tech front desk.

Unique Quality: In the morning the trees are alive with birds of all kinds.

Directions: When entering San Ignacio from Santa Elena, stay on the bypass past Hodie's and then stay to the right at the "Y". On your immediate right.

• Midas Resort not secure....

Just a heads-up, we had our cabana broken into and most of our luggage stolen at the Midas Resort, in broad, mid-afternoon daylight (on our first day in Belize, to boot). Not only that, we were never able to reach the owner to even talk to her about it. Not secure, and very unprofessional. Stay there at your own risk. Other hotels and hotleiers in San Ignacio were great, especially after hearing our story....

Unique Quality: Nothing.

Directions: North edge of San Ignacio

• xpythias's Profile Photo

cute cabanas

not much resort in this resort, but it's family run, really cute and a very clean, quite and friendly place to stay. our room was a cabana, consisting of little more than four wooden planked walls and a door. beds were comfey. no hot water. the cabana has a little porch with a chair perfect for reading and listening to the birds.

More about Midas Resort

Good deal in a great town!

by TripAdvisor Member cschlunt

My younger sister and I stayed at Midas for three nights in February 2007. The location was great, just a 5-10 minute walk from downtown San Ignacio. We had wanted to stay at a jungle lodge but didn't want to pay a taxi to drive us back and forth. We wanted to experience the jungle but still be in town. Midas was the perfect fit. The price was right and the private bungalow with two queen beds and a full bathroom was perfect.

The staff was very kind. The owner, Roger, personally drove us to the sister hotel so we could take a free dip in the gorgeous pool. If we had wanted they woud have coked us meals and organized our tours, but we didn't take them up on it. They did do our laundry though for $6.

If I go back to San Ignacio I would probably stay here again, if I didn't venture out into the distant jungle lodges.

Exactly what we wanted

by TripAdvisor Member over50yearsyoung

My husband and I stayed at Midas for 2 nights in January 2007, and we wished we could have stayed longer. Although we arrived after dark on a rainy night, the manager was waiting for us. We were checked in, asked our preferences for a dinner to be cooked for us, and guided to our cabaƱa. After settling in, we enjoyed a delicious dinner prepared for us. Midas has a lovely shady garden setting, with identification signs for the various plants. A short walk leads to the river bank. Our room was simple but perfectly fine. The staff are as friendly and helpful as possible. The hustle-bustle of town is nearby but out of earshot. We particularly enjoy staying in family-run places that feel "real," and Midas is exactly that. We felt it was a good value for our budget travel, and we'd love to stay there again!

great little cabana

by TripAdvisor Member connecticutnative

We were scheduled to stay at the Parrot Nest Lodge;however, when we finally found the Lodge (there were no signs in town to tell which side of the river to travel and we took the wrong one for miles and miles) we were met by the "housekeeper" who informed us the owner was not there and she had given our Tree House accomodation to some walk in's. NICE JOB...after travelling for hours to find it no room ...oh yes they had one that smelled of mold and shared a bath. Not hardly what I had reserved. We went out looking for another place to stay in Bullet, came upon one that I wouldn't recommend even though the people were friendly (unfortunately my Spanish is minimal) then the second night we were lucky enough to call MIDAS RESORT and reached Celina Lang. We were very pleased with the cabana and the following day breakfast. Celina's Dad Roger Lang sat with us for quite awhile chatting. Very pleasant.

Room was clean, hot water, quiet at night.

Joyce & John

A Delight ... great for young travels on a budget

by TripAdvisor Member linsagg

We rolled into San Ignacio without much of a plan and ended up staying at the Midas. It was by far, the best place that we stayed while in Belize. You will have your own little house that sits in the middle of what looks like a rainforest. Roger and his family will help you plan, will cook a made to order breakfast, and will make lunches to go. We also had a place to lock up our stuff and they even supplied bug spray, which I stole on accident. Highly recommended!!!

Roger at the Midas is awesome

by TripAdvisor Member TXTravelingTeacher

We got to the Midas and met Roger and his daughter. Roger showed us an incredible little cabana where we stayed with AC. He was available to chat with us and would poke fun at us. He helped us to book a tour and was a perfect balance of patience and proactivity. We loved staying there. great view. tropical environment. not too noisy. San Ignacio is a spot you must hit and go on the ATM tour while you're at it. Yay Midas!

Best Bed in our Budget Tour of Belize

by TripAdvisor Member ChangedBee

We called only a few days beforehand from in-country and were able to secure a room for a night (but they were booked for the weekend). It was a basic, clean room with no a/c, one fan, and good screens on the windows.

What I really appreciated was the relatively comfortable bed and that there was a little porch where I could hang my clothes and dry my shoes that were constantly getting wet in my different adventures.

The lodgings had a friendly atmosphere and the walk to town was only about 10-15 minutes. The father (a bit eccentric) of the new manager, Celia Lang, directed me to a riverbank where I had a very pleasant dip along with many townspeople in the late afternoon. It was very refreshing and fun to be among others in a communal cool-down.

We also went on a trip to Xunantunich with a knowledgeable tour guide secured by the management.

I found it a very good deal. I would recommend it to friends and stay there again myself.

Nothing great, nothing terrible

by TripAdvisor Member LT1175

If you are looking for budget, come here! The cabanas are simple and relatively clean, though i wouldn't say pristine. The people who work here are quite pleasant, especially the owner's daughter, who I believe is the new manager. There are a lot of possibilities for this propoerty. Little things could have made our stay more comfortable (the A/C made a terrible noise, and only one setting worked!). The place needs to be updated and the name "Tropical Resort" is very mis-leading. Its location near the town of San Ignacio is perfect. It is a 3 minute walk to the small town where you can also get tour vans and other information. The "resort" also does not get much street noise apart from the occassional passing truck. The word my fiance and I use to describe the place is "rustic". Overrall, though the orange juice and breakfast was homemade and delicious, I would most ilkely never stay here again. I am no longer the early 20s backpacker i used to be.

Comments