1 Maya Beach, Placencia, Belize

More about Green Parrot Beach Houses

2nd times a charm

by TripAdvisor Member Herbdiva

Our second trip to the Green Parrot was at least as good as the first, 9 years ago. Between superb weather, outstanding service, and warm, friendly staff it is hard to pick a "best". As I wrote to freinds stateside, the Green Parrot is "as close to heaven as I'll likely get". A special shout out to Ruben, Leo and last but not least
Priscilla who made our vacation truely memorable.

Beautiful place - Great staff - loved the Cabana Rebecca (AB, CANADA)

by TripAdvisor Member rjr560

Me and my husband just returned form the Green Parrot Beach Houses after staying an amazing 8 days in one of their cabanas. I absolutely
loved the setting along the beaches in this tranquil and romantic resort with nothing but the ocean, birds, warm weather and time to relax and enjoy each others company. The staff was so helpful and friendly - it made me feel like I was part of the family (Hi to Leo and Ruebin) - great food, great company, very clean and tidy, exceptional service.

They also made our destination wedding on March 15/2007 at their resort a beautiful and intimate affair. We were so pleased with our wedding (it was everything I imagined and dreamed of)and all of our days spent in and around their resort. We hope to return for future anniveraries to celebrate in Belize at the Green Parrot.

Thanks so much to everyone at the Green Parrot for making this holiday a trip to remember.

Totally Fun

by TripAdvisor Member NewJerseyJudy

We want you to know how much we enjoyed our stay at The Green Parrot last week. We especially commend the superb staff. Leo, Rubin, Carlos, Priscilla, and Kimberly were consummate hosts, attentive to the needs and wants of their guests and absolutely willing to do whatever was needed to ensure that our stay was enjoyable. Kudos!

The facility itself strikes just the right balance between amenities and basics. We would characterize it as “rustic charm” with fabulous food.

We would totally recommend the Green Parrot Resort to anyone heading down to Belize. We look forward to returning in the future.
Sincerely
Judy and Mike Dupuis

Green Parrot ~ Great Place to Stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member zknmama

We had a great time at the Green Parrot!! Leo, Ruben and the rest of the staff were fabulous, friendly and helpful. Our cabana was comfortable and private, plus we were a few steps away from the beach & bar! (what more could you ask for?!) One of our only complaints would be the restaurant- it was lacking choices and bit a overpriced for what it was. Overall though we loved our stay and had such a great start to our stay in Belize. The Placencia and Maya beach area are great- great people, beaches, food- it was really a fantastic time. I recommend the Green Parrot as a great place to stay and relax!!

FANTASTIC

by TripAdvisor Member grandmahoney

My husband and I spent 6 days over Christmas at the Green Parrot. We had a wonderful time. The staff is over accomadating and we spent lots of time visiting with all of them, they make you feel as if you are part of the family!! Leo is a wonderful manager and made sure that we were able to do all of the excursions that we wanted (booking them and then letting us know which ones we would do on which day, every day was an adventure), he phoned to make sure that our air reservations were in order the day before we departed and took the time to take us to the airport (along with a big hug goodbye). Rueben was more than entertaining with all of the drinks - great panty rippers - taking the time to talk to everyone at the bar (most everyone from the cabins & cabanas gathered there just before dinner and stayed on for a few after dinner) - he also escorted us to the Mayan ruins where he showed us how great he is at changing a tire on a busy road!! The food was great, we never had a bad meal nor did they ever get our food wrong! All the staff went above and beyond and we really enjoyed our stay and are looking forward to a return trip.

The only other location outside of Canada and the US that we have travelled is Cuba at a 5 star hotel. The service, food and atmosphere at The Green Parrot was far superior. If you are looking for lots of adventure, this is not for you. This resort is to relax and get away from the world. Be prepared for poverty in Placencia and surrounding, but if you have travelled to any other 3rd world countries, you should be used to it. We are from Canada and really enjoyed the weather after our -30 degree.

We will be returning and this time taking our teenagers!! Look out Leo!!

A vacation you and your kids will love!

by TripAdvisor Member VacationVacationVa

This was our third trip to Central America, our second trip to Belize and the Green Parrot! Leo and Rueben and the rest of the staff at Green Parrot are great hosts! Belize offers the best of the kick back lay on the beach with a cocktail vacation and the opportunity to expereince some great adventures. The diving and snorkeling are second to none and is close by to the Green Parrot. Visiting the Myan ruins or caving is a great family day trip. Leo can help arrange these trips with some of the best guides in Belize.

The food at the Green Parrot is excellent. The Chef makes some wonderful soups and entrees!

Perfect location on the beach

by TripAdvisor Member ccurtis

We just returned from Belize and had a wonderful time. For the first 5 days, we were at the GP in Maya Beach. It was wonderful. Our cabana was at the end of the property, had a sunrise view, and a lovely breeze throughout most of the day and evening. It was heavenly!

Particulars: We had a double bed in the loft as well as a single. There was a pullout couch but we didn't need it. There was a ceiling fan which kept us cool enough at night. There was an additional floor fan. These were fine at the beach. In SI/inland, I would recommend a/c unless you're accustomed to the heat! There was a bathroom with a shower, toilet, sink & vanity. The cabana was cleaned every day and they even folded our clothes!

The staff is very friendly and attentive, especially Leo and Ruben. And David was very helpful prior to our arrival, responding to my many questions! We arranged both of our tours through the GP and it was added to our bill, which was convenient.

The food is good. We ate mostly just breakfast there because we were out and about. More than once the kitchen staff prepared a plate to bring to our teenager daughter, who was often not awake as early as her parents! Again, the staff is great.

We had no problems with mosquitoes or biting insects except for one night when we ate outside and there was no wind (and we forgot to put on bug spray). We didn't forget again!

We hated to leave and hope to return one day soon. We spent most of the time on the coast and then headed inland to SI. (We had a vehicle, which is necessary if you want some flexibility.) Belize is an incredible country with wonderful people. It was a great vacation.

Sun/Sand/Friendly Staff/Great Food & Comfy - Missing it Already

by TripAdvisor Member diamondlaker

After several trips to Belize travelling about the country to various areas & a couple of stays at the Green Parrot on Maya Beach, my wife & I have agreed that it is one of our favorites & a "must return" again on future trips. Great location on Maya beach with beautiful sand stretching for miles, good swimming, Placencia close enough to visit daily if desired, reef snorkelling a short kayak paddle off shore .
While resort staff in Belize generally tend to be very helpful & friendly, the management & staff at The Green Parrot have consistently overwhelmed us with their hospitality & willingness to go the extra mile to ensure you have a very pleasant stay. The beach houses & cabanas are very comfy, food is always excellent & the outdoor dining area & bar on beach a real treat.
If you are looking for a small resort to relax & enjoy Belize, look no further! You will likely depart feeling like you left friends behind until next trip.

Loved the beach front cabana!

by TripAdvisor Member Ladyluck22

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Green Parrot in Belize and absolutely loved it! Our beach front cabana was cozy and clean, perfect for a romantic get-away. We loved the outdoor shower! The hammock on the front deck with the view of the water couldn't get more relaxing. The Green Parrot staff was extremely nice and took care of everything we needed. They arranged our daily trips for us and made delicious meals. Ruben and Leo are the best!!! Our only disappointment was that we only stayed five nights and wish we could have stayed longer. There is no doubt that we will definitely be visiting Belize again and will be staying at the Green Parrot!!!

The Roberts

Okay, but be aware before you stay

by TripAdvisor Member sd_nikita

If you stay at Green Parrot, EAT AT MAYA BEACH HOTEL !

We booked our stay at Green Parrot because of it's association with a resort in San Ignacio. (If you are looking for a San Ignacio resort, Cahal Pech was fantastic!) We had a nice visit in Placencia and would recommend the location, but had some minor issues with the Green Parrot. Individually they were not a huge deal, but cumulatively they were disappointing. I'll try to mix the bad with the good to end on a positive.

Green Parrot does not have you sign your daily meal/drink tabs. You arrive and are able to take drinks from the cooler freely that go on your room tab. Any other food or drinks also go on your room tab which we were not given until after we paid at check out. When I reviewed the daily tabs on the airplane home, I noticed two days that had items we did not order (likely belonging to other guests). Since it was our word against the bartender, there was no credit issued. We spent a lot there and the error was only about $40USD, but it was the principle of feeling ripped off that I didn't like. Not a huge deal, but annoying when added to the billing error. The information says that a 10% service charge would be added to all expenses. It seems that they upped the charge to 12%, but didn't update the information.

The bikes and the scooter were broken. We knew we were far from town (believe far if you are planning because I didn't), but thought that we could rent bikes or a scooter to get to town. Not so since they were all broken. The cab to town was $20-25 each way so not really an affordable option for dinner like we had planned. You can actually see all of town in about a half day anyway and the beach on Maya Beach is worth being away from town for sure. Do a day trip for town and make sure to have lunch at Wendy's... the best shrimp burrito I have ever had really. There is also a great shop called Art n' Soul if you are looking for some local art.

The manager at Green Parrot seemed annoyed anytime we had a question. We had pre-booked our transportation, but needed to know what time to be ready. I felt like I was bothering him to ask.

The food at Green Parrot is okay/good and affordable. When we asked if there were any other restaurants nearby (ie. the reason we wanted bikes) the Green Parrot staff told us there wasn't. I was disappointed that they did not tell us the truth since there are actually several restaurants nearby. I assume they are trying to keep their business. If you walk north on the beach a bit there is a REALLY DELICIOUS bistro at MAYA BEACH HOTEL. The food is a bit more expensive, but totally worth it. EAT AT MAYA BEACH HOTEL! We didn't find out about it until our last day, but would have had more meals there. If you are splurging on one nice meal have it there.

The Green Parrot cabana was nice, clean and comfortable. There is not adequate lighting and it was VERY DARK in the evening. Bring a flashlight to look through your luggage at night. The outdoor shower and hammock were both really nice.

The beach at Green Parrot was the best kept in the area. There was very little sea kelp which made it nice to swim and really enjoy the water and beach. We took kayaks out to the small island and could see the reef. Take the sea kayaks since the others are like paddling a bus. We had one smooth water day to do this and it took about 50 minutes to get out there. My boyfriend could have done it in 30, but I'm a slow poke. =)

Snorkeling at Laughing Bird Caye was great. Next time I would like to plan a dive for another location.

I wouldn't recommend this resort because of the little frustrations we had there. Again, they were small things, but in a 3 day trip it added up. I looked up Maya Beach Hotel and it is actually cheaper than Green Parrot anyway. Stay there.

Comments