Placencia Road, Placencia, 00501, Belize
Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about Laru Beya Resort & Villas

A great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Gswanson

My wife and I spend 6 wonderful days at LaruBeya this may. To be honest, there may be one place that is more beautiful, the Turtle Inn is spectacular. However, in speaking with others who were staying in Placencia, I felt that we made the best choice in staying at Laru Beya. Service. I think that this is what makes Laru Beya stand out. From the managers, Pieter and Petro, to the restaraunt and houskeeping staff, you are really made to feel as though you are part of the family. The room we stayed at, a junior suite was perfect. The kitchen was beautiful and would have loved to use it more were it not for the many lovely local spots to eat. The bedroom was absolutely gorgeous as were the rest of the facilities. We did not stay at the turtle inn, but did tour it, and to be honest, it was nicer than virtually any other place I have visited. But there is definitely elitest attitude present with the staff there. This attitude was confirmed by several people we spoke to staying there. Robert's Grove which is right next to Laru Beya is also very nice, but was really stuffy. Laru Beya was a perfect mix of a high end resort with a very personal touch. The current managers were wonderful, personalble, resourceful and helpful above and beyond the call of typical resort mangers. We arranged all or our excursions through them. A trip up the monkey river, snorkeling at laughing bird key and a half day fishing were all fantastic. Petra knows and apparently has great relations with the best people for your expeditions . Despite how nearly perfect Laru Beya is now, I look forward to seeing how it will continue to improve under the current management. I would reccomend Laru Beya (and already have) to anyone wishing to travel to Belize. Thank you for one of the best trips We have taken.

Best choice in Placencia

by TripAdvisor Member Annapolis23

I love Placencia but what really made the trip was my stay at Laru Beya. The staff is so welcoming and friendly, and the rooms are very comfortable with breath taking views. I really enjoyed waking up to the sun rise over the ocean every morning without having to get out of bed! The pool is beautiful and refreshing, and so close to the ocean! I loved using the fun ocean toys provided for guests to use for free like kyacks and hobie cats. And Troy is cooking up some amazing food at reasonable prices at the resteraunt on site. My boyfriend and I really enjoyed riding bikes (also provided for free) into the village, especially in the morning to grab breakfast. But for those who don't feel up to making the ride by bike, the staff is always willing to give rides into the village, too. All around an amazing and relaxing week at Laru Beya, I hope to go back for another stay sometime soon.

Great unexpected pleasure

by TripAdvisor Member ecgeo

One of travels great pleasures is coming across those unexpected finds. The Laru Beya Reort was one of those finds. Our experience there was truly wonderful. The resort, being relatively new ,was not listed in any of the guidebooks and we happened to come across it on the Tripadvisor website. All of the reviews were spot on. The accomodations, the staff, and the setting were awesome. We were 3 adult travels who requested appropriate accomodations. The Laru Beya provided a nice fully equipped suite for a reasonable price. The deck was the most enjoyable part, equipped with a hammock, porch swing, and chaise lounges. The sea was literally only footsteps away for a nice morning swim or kayak. The infinity pool was very refreshing on a hot Belize afternoon. The staff couldn't have been more helpful from setting up tours, providing transportation, and recommending restaurants (even though their own restaurant was very good). We enjoyed it so much we extended our stay by 2 days, wish it could have been more. I highly recommend this resort for you stay in Belize.

Wow! Great people, great food, wonderful place!

by TripAdvisor Member riresourire

I spent two marvelous weeks at Laru Beya. The people who work there are remarkable: friendly, helpful, competent, everything you could hope for.

The property has plenty of things you can do, or you can just sit on the nearly deserted beach and watch the waves. No telephones and no TVs just add to the experience.

It's further from the village of Placencia than would be perfect (though that probably explains the deserted beaches) but taxis are easy to get and the staff drove us to town several times.

The restaurant is awesome! Troy (chef) is amazing! Every dinner was delightful and the desserts.... mmmmmm! Apple honey puff and lemon cake were my two favorites.

Wrap-around balconies overlooking the ocean

by TripAdvisor Member BostonGolfer

We just returned from a week at Laru Beya. The resort is a condo unit, with all new and impressive kitchens. The units also have Internet, which I did not know, and unfortunately did not bring my laptop. The best parts of the units, and my favorite part of the property, are the wrap-around balconies looking out on the ocean. We never used the AC, preferring the breezes from the ocean. Also was not sure about beach towels – but there are plentiful, fluffy towels for the beach and pool. The pool is fresh water, very nice, and cleaned each morning. The small, friendly staff work to help you have a good time. Especially impressive was Debbie, who is a gracious, smart woman who will make a great hotelier.

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member webbyfeet

What the other reviews said. Great place, great vibes, good value, nice pool, super friendly and helpful staff and management, a simply awesome vacation spot. We stayed for a week. Debbie, Pietra, Peter, Neil, Marivel, Troy and all the rest of the staff were great and they hooked us up with many tours and outings.

Two very minor suggestions for improvement: 1) some of us really crave a good cup of coffee or tea in the morning -- we can live on Nescafe and Lipton for a couple of days but going a whole week is a little hard, 2) this close to Seine Bight with some Garinagu staff in the kitchen, it would be cool to have some local food like Sere or Hudut on the menu, I love that stuff and I wish it wasn't so hard to find. That said, the restaurant serves some VERY rockin fish.

I can't imagine anyone not enjoying themselves thoroughly at Laru Beya.

Friendly staff - an excellent resort & restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member IvoLucien

Laru Beya is an excellent choice, it's facilities are roughly on par with the more expensive options on the Placencia peninsula, but the friendly and efficient staff make Laru Beya the clear winner in my book. We stayed there for two weeks and had a stress free and relaxing time. [ I miss everyone already! ~Ivo ]

Their new chef, Troy, is hands down the best on the peninsula. We tried the two restaurants at Robert's Grove, Wendy's (not the chain), De-Tach, the Pickled Parrot, Purple Space Monkey and a couple others that were recommended, and none quite met the standards that we found right at our own resort. And on top of that, I'm vegetarian and he was very happy to create new dishes for me.

No place is perfect, they're new and we ran into a couple of minor hiccups, but they cheerfully fixed them right away. Five star plus for customer service. On the other hand, if you like your service impersonal and reserved you might wish to look elsewhere. Oh, and if your call doesn't get through immediately, the phone company there has been flaky recently.

Minor notes of interest: network jacks in each room, wireless internet too, no television (a plus for me), on-site laundry, snorkeling gear, small sail boats, kayaks, the cleanest beach around, less sea grass than many places, and eventually they'll have their own marina across the street.

Wonderful with much more potential

by TripAdvisor Member fandjtravel2

We stayed for a week at Laru Beya and had a wonderful time. We rented the Grand Villa, with another couple, two bedrooms and baths, shared living and kitchen area. The space was beautiful, clean and comfortable in a great location, right next to the pool with a great view of the ocean just steps away. We did have trouble with the A/C in the bedrooms that never did get fixed while we were there, but did not ruin our stay.

Peter and Pietra were wonderful hosts, new to the resort, there just three weeks then, and very anxious to please. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Hobie cats, kayaks and windsurfers provided by the resort came in handy for afternoon entertainment.

Breakfast at the resort was wonderful, lunch was good and a few things on the dinner menu were OK, but the prices were a bit steep and some things were nasty, avoid the pasta at all cost! If Troy would pick a few daily or weekly specials, stick with what he does best, use local, in season ingredients and lower the prices at the restaurant things would boom for them.

We found the food at Habeneros, across the street wonderful and Robert's Grove down the beach was excellent, but spendy.

Placencia village is small, but had great bread, staples, fruit and veggies and all the shrimp we needed for wonderful dinners and lunches made in the kitchen of our villa.

Diving and snorkeling are an all day event as there is an hour or more boat ride to the reef proper. Laughing Bird Caye is closer, but the snorkeling is not as good as nearer the reef.

I would definately stay at Laru Beya again, it was wonderful.

Beautiful condo living, still needs some work.

by TripAdvisor Member TravelingFamilySTL

We found the resort here on TripAdvisor, not in any guide books, and we were glad we did. The suites are fully-equipped, very large, deluxe condos. There is a great beach and pool. The managers, Peter and Pietra, are exceptionally friendly, helpful, and hard working. We did not visit the restaurant.

This is not really a hotel, and there are a few limitations that you might consider. Some of the construction work is still being finished. For example, our ground floor unit had no privacy shades over doors facing the pool, the suite had no lock, etc. The rooms have internet access, but it was down for 3 days of our visit after a brief power failure. In many cases, the managers worked to fix issues as soon as we mentioned them. Our rooms did not have a TV, which was fine with us.

The resort office closes at 6:00 PM, which is quite a problem. (The resort managers are early risers, they start work probably by 6 AM.) There are no phones in the rooms, so you have no way to access any hotel services or external locations in the evenings. Unless you have a local cell phone, you are effectively stuck at the resort. It's 4 miles to the town of Placencia ($20 BZ, $10 US taxi ride), so you have to arrange a taxi ride before 6. My family tries to be away from the hotel all day, and in the evening we like to check the internet, arrange the next day's tours or activities, get some extra towels or whatever we need for the room, find a restaurant. If that's your style too, it doesn't work as things are presently set up.

I can strongly recommend the Laughing Bird Caye snorkel trip (take the all day trip and stay for lunch), and the cave tubing trip. Our kids (5 and 9) had a great time.

All in all, a great experience. You will not meet more helpful hotel staff.

Awesome

by TripAdvisor Member sunslacker

WHAT A GREAT PLACE TO STAY...The hotel is unique and beautiful...It is right on the beach and has an amazing swimming pool...EVERYONE is friendly and willing to HELP...If you want to relax on a real beach in Belize...This is your place

Comments