Maya Beach, Placencia, Belize
Otel.com

More about Maya Beach Hotel

Loved the Maya Beach Hotel

I stayed at the Maya Beach Hotel in upper Dreamsicle. I had a wonderful stay. The view from
my room was beautiful as I was able to watch the sun come up every morning. John and Ellen were very friendly and helpful hosts. They had great suggestions for outings outside of the resort. The food was the best I had while on my stay in Belize. Overall, the service was great and the staff was helpful and very friendly. I would love to come back for a visit at Maya Beach Hotel. I would recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Placencia.

We loved the Maya Beach hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NStraveller1

We stayed 10 days in the lower Dreamsicle house and loved every minute of it. The staff was very helpful, the room was very clean, and the view of the ocean was second to none. Every night we fell asleep listening to the ocean. It was very hot during our stay, but the breezes off the water really helped. We visited the town of Plecencia twice and although it was nice, we were happy with the more off the beaten track, much cooler Maya Beach.

The food was great and I would call it moderately priced. Cheaper alternatives do exist and there are other local restaurants which are within easy walking distance. However, we enjoyed the food so much we only ate somewhere else a couple of times. John even made me a delicious birthday cake (which was order by my partner but they did not charge us for it.) Because the Dreamsicle houses have well equiped kitchen and you feel like cooking, you can get some food at the local store, which is well within walking distance. However, watch out for the trucks on the dusty road.

The staff was quick to fix any little problems we noticed. The beach is pretty but not the greatest for swimming (it is quite shallow for a good distance for the beach) but we waded in and played in the surf most every day - the water was incredibly warm. The early morning beach swim when the water was calm was also a highlight. If you are in the mood for lazing around a pool, playing the in the ocean, reading, and relaxing then I highly recommend the Dreamsicle Houses. Beware, the lower dreamsicle has windows that face the beach that are covered only by a sheer curtains. At night, when the lights are on, it did feel a bit like we were on display. It took a bit of getting used to.

We had no complaints and would gladly go there again if the opportunity presents itself. As a matter of fact, we would go back in a minute if we could.

Best of Breed

We are adventure travelers and are always researching our next trip. After spending five days at the Maya Beach Hotel, we are planning a return visit. This may be a first.

Our room rates an A for cleanliness, view, and comfort. It had a beach feel which complimented its location on the water's edge.

We visited three different areas in Belize, giving us a good sampling of Belizian cuisine. The Maya Beach Hotel's restaurant was the best. The food was very fresh, artistically presented, reasonably priced, and delicious.

From the moment of our arrival, our hosts, Ellen and John, made us feel at home. They've obviously trained their staff well, because everyone was attentive, cheerful, and efficient.

We're looking forward to sharing our Maya Beach Hotel experience with others.

Jeannie and Duff
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire

Wasn't What I Expected

I Stayed one night at Maya Beach Hotel and then moved to another hotel. I found it to be run down and not the comfortable surroundings that I wanted for my vacation. I moved to Singing Sands Inn, just down the road and found it to be a beautiful, charming place.

One of the best places to stay on the Caribbean

I stayed at the Maya Beach Hotel the first week in May and the place was great. Its a very low-key place with a relaxed atmosphere and the best food in Belize. You can take a kayak over mirror-smooth water out to a little cay a mile off shore and go snorkeling around corel heads, or go on any one of four or five great day trips around Belize. The staff is very attentive and no request of mine was ignored. If you want a formal dining room with starched white linen and thick carpets on marble floors, maybe you should look somewhere else, but if you want a relaxed time in a great place run by good people who definitely know how to put a meal together, then this is worth a look.

A favorite place

We stayed at the Maya Beach Hotel's Joya Del Mar beach house for four nights. It was clean, quiet, and private. Most of our time was spent on the lovely balcony, snoozing in the hammock or enjoying the view. Maya Beach was our first stop in Belize and we loved it! The restaurant is only a short walk down the beach and the food is amazing. We savoured every bite, especially the cinnamon buns. The staff are very friendly and we enjoyed getting to know them. The hosts, Ellen and John, also went out of their way to make our stay special. Ellen arranged an excellent tour to Xunantunich ruins for us. Other days we went for walks on the beach and rarely ran into another person. It was the perfect introduction to Belize and we hope to return someday.

Wonderfully Caring Staff

What a wonderfully close-knit and caring staff! My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Maya Beach Hotel for one week at the end of April. The day after I arrived I got the flu (not from the hotel, probably brought it with me from home). Ellen and John and the whole staff could not have been sweeter or more accomodating. They checked in on us constantly and when I was finally able to join the real world in the dining room, eveyone very nearly cheered for my return and made sure that everything they served me was okay for my stomach to handle. Now, as for the food, once I was able to eat off the real menu....it was fantastic! The spices were perfectly blended and rich, the ingredients were fresh and the desserts were so decadent, you couldn't help but "Mmmm" the whole way through. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and the grounds were beautiful and quiet. Between the wonderful owners and staff, good food and listening to the water while falling asleep every night, my vacation was filled with great memories!

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member cshiu

We loved our stay at the Maya Beach Hotel in April. Because my husband and I were on a belated honeymoon, we asked for an upgrade. We were moved to a house to the right of the restaurant with its own pool and deck. We absolutely loved it. The only thing that could have made it even better was working air conditioning at night. The units in the rooms didn't seem to work very well, so we relied solely on open windows and ceiling fans. We were there for 4 nights and stayed in both the upstairs and downstairs units. Both were spacious and comfortable. The upstairs even has a washer/dryer. And of course, having the pool was definitely a plus! Ellen and her staff were very helpful and friendly. She and her husband run the restaurant overlooking the water which was not only convenient, but yummy! My husband and I had a wonderful time in Placencia. It's a very small town, so we hung out at the house quite a bit. We are not big resort people, so it was perfect for us!

By far the best taste of true paradise

by TripAdvisor Member Craw-Daddy

This is a long review, but I think that it will be helpful if you’re are looking to make a choice or just seeing if you have made the right choice

My wife and I recently stayed at the Maya Beach Hotel for a week long getaway. We are both from New Orleans and have come to expect and appreciate many of the finer things in life when it comes to the hotel and restaurant industry. The Maya Beach Hotel surpassed our expectations so many levels. Let me break it down as follows:

The staff and owners are by far the most friendly and hospitable people that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. All of our tours were expertly arranged and we were provided access to the well maintained sea kayaks. We have stayed everywhere from Wyndham to Westin and from Ritz to the Ramada, and I have never meet a better staff.

The accommodations in the upper Dreamsicle house were ideal for the purpose of our visit. That is to say, we came to Belize to experience the culture and food. We did not come to sit inside of the hotel room. Yes, I am sure that the Turtle Inn and the Placencia Hotel have the finest Italian linen sheets and satellite TV feed, but if that is what you desire from a vacation than why bother leaving the states. The MBH had clean crisp sheets and good quality towels changed daily. The bathroom was cleaned daily and the floors were swept clean on sand (it will follow you everywhere). We chose to stay in the upper Dreamsicle because of the views of the beach and water. The sun rose every morning on the massive from balcony and the water was only 20 yards away.

The bar.....well, we are from New Orleans so this was of considerable consideration for us. The selection of liquor was stellar. Both foreign (standard US fair) and local liquors were available and Ellen (one of the owners) can produce a variable cornucopia of liver destroying treats. I truly believe that it was a sad day for the South when a Belizean hotel run by a Northerner and staffed by various locals could make a better Bloody Mary than any I have ever had in New Orleans.

The food was beyond all expectations. I came to Belize expecting mostly fish and rice. What John (the other owner) and his staff were able to create is mind boggling. This chef's cuisine ranks in the top of what I have had at many smaller boutique restaurants. We stayed for 7 days and ate at the MBH Bistro all but two nights. The breakfast menu is accentuated by freshly baked breads and fresh squeezed orange juice from local Valencia oranges. The lunches offer a decent variety of sandwiches and salads. The dinners are the best fusion of western cooking with local ingredients. Try both the sassy shrimp pot and fish stack. However, you can not go wrong with any of the items. During the meal both the owners, who have been up and working since 6am, mill about with the guest and manage the finer details of the kitchen and floor. As I said, we did eat at other well known and raved about restaurants in Placencia. All of them failed to meet the level of quality of the Bistro for dinner. I would recommend trying Wendy's in the village for lunch. The food is local and excellent.

The above areas I really think are the most important to consider. I think what one must keep in mind is that Belize is a developing nation. In light of that, power outages and other things are common. These are not in the control of the resort that you stay at. From what I saw all of the resorts had rainwater systems. The water from these is safe to drink, but one will not get the water pressure you might me accustomed to in the states. In addition, when something breaks it can not immediately be replaced due to the lack of supplies in both Placencia and Belize. The resort owners can not run down to the Home Depot to pick up a new shower head. Please take this into consideration when reading the reviews.

Not quite worth the hype

by TripAdvisor Member cdnabroad

Judging by the reviews and Maya Beach's spectacular website, I guess we expected a bit more. The rooms were clean but somewhat rundown, as was the property in general. We stayed in the main building and didn't see the other parts. The food at their restaurant was very good - try the Pork Pork Pork Burger! And the staff was very friendly. We certainly warmed up to the place and when we adjusted our expectations, we did appreciate it for what it is. However, the reviews and website led us to believe that it was of a higher calibre than it really is.

Accommodations: Bermudian Landing and Placencia

by keelyr84

I am traveling through Guatemala and Belize in June, and I am planning to stay in Placencia at Tradewinds and in Bermudian Landing at the Howler Monkey Lodge. Can anyone give me some input on these places? Any opinions/alternatives are appreciated!

Thanks!

--Keely

Re: Accommodations: Bermudian Landing and Placencia

by sarozen

I would not recommend staying at the Tradewinds. While we were there in May, there was a robbery next door. There was also a couple that was out of control--loud, naked, having "relations" on the beach. We told the owner about it. She knew about them--her daughter had seen them the day before engaging in similar activities out on in public and did nothing. The room was rather ramshackle and really hot--the ceiling fan ran at about 5 rpm.

We left, didn't stay the night, were promised a refund that never came.

We went to the Maya Beach Hotel in Maya Beach. Same price, private beach, great restaurant, ocean view, super owners. I would highly recommend it over the Tradewinds.

Robberies in Placencia

by keelyr84

I am planning on visiting Placencia in June for a couple days during a trip. I am planning on staying at Tradewinds, but I have heard a few stories about robberies here. Does anyone know anything about this, how frequently it happens or how to avoid it?

Thanks!

--Keely

Re: Robberies in Placencia

by sarozen

My wife and I had just checked into the Tradewinds on May 19th when there was a robbery at the cabin next door. The couple who claimed to have been robbed was completely out of control--running around naked, having sex in the room with the front door open, asking people at the other cabins if they wanted to join in, etc. We went and reported it to the owner who said:"Them again? They're the ones who my daughter saw having sex on the beach yesterday!"

We decided then and there to move on to another hotel. The owner said she would refund our money as we had only been there a couple of hours. So far, we have not received a dime back. We moved to the Maya Beach Hotel, which was the same price, had an air conditioned room, private beach, thoughtful owners and great food!

Comments