Placencia Village, Placencia, Belize
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Placencia Village

the outdoor bar areathe outdoor bar area

Jason with a full set of teethJason with a full set of teeth

The South End of the SidewalkThe South End of the Sidewalk

Main and only patwhay through the villageMain and only patwhay through the village

swimming/beaches

by cjtalley

Hi,
I am planning a family trip to Belize with three teens/pre-teens. We want to stay on the beach where it is safe for kids to swim. I understand Placencia has the best beaches in Belize. Are they sandy beaches? Is it safe to swim there?
Thanks.

by diver-x

The beach at Placencia is sandy with some pebbles. And as with all of the beaches I've seen so far in Belize there is quite a bit of sea grass that washes in the shallows. You get past it after the water is thigh high or so. There is very little in the way of surf because of the barrier reef so you don't have to worry about big waves and undertow. I don't think of Belize as so much of a beach vacation. The beaches are just ok but not as good as other places in the Caribbean like Aruba, Bahamas, Puerto Rico or even Grand Cayman. But I do love Belize for the sight seeing in the jungle, caves, river tubing, Mayan ruins and for the people. So don't get me wrong, it's a great place to go and I do hope to go back. I just wouldn't plan on spending most of my time on the beach. Placencia itself is a pretty interesting place with lots of interesting characters and local color.

by diver-x

I see in your previous post that you are looking mainly for a beach destination and an inexpensive one at that. I would recommend Culebra, a tiny island just east of Puerto Rico. The beaches there are simply amazing and it's relatively inexpensive. You can easily find hotels/inns for $70-80/night. There is even a campground at the most lovely beach of them all (Flamenco) for $10/night.

Good luck!

by Travmad

Another option is Tobacco Caye. The have nice beaches and swimming in clear water with inexpensive accommodation that includes three meals per day.

Travel Tips for Placencia Village

Beautiful Sunsets

by YolandaC

Sunset in the tropics always leave me breathless (in my northern home they seem to take for forever and I seem to lose attention), I love how the sun seems to just drop and in a minute the day is gone and night has set in.

Bug spray and flip flops and floaties

by YolandaC

Backpacks are the way to go, anything with wheels is going to slow you down. Flip flops for day wear, flip flops for evening wear. Hiking shoes for treking and a light rain jacket or poncho. Most things can be purchased at Wallens or Olga's supermarkets just remember tons of bug spray (sand fleas!) and sunscreen. If bringing kids pack some float toys and just plan to leave them behind with some of the kids they meet.

This place is special. Must try

by timinfrance about French Connection

This new place is not in the best location in Placencia and is not easy to find ( turn down the alley opposite young the barefoot bar or the Chinese supermarket.) However, it is certainly worth the effort. The Chef, Marcus, is English with wide experience and training in Europe and it shows. This is top notch French food which would rate a star in my homeland of France. We tried Garlic soup, and a wonderful carpaccio of tuna followed by brochette of lobster and grouper and delicious local venison. All wonderful and served with style by Anna, Marcus' Swedish wife. A good and ( for Belize) not expensive wine list and a pleasant cool atmosphere make this a really special place to go and miles away from the routine bar food available everywhere else. Go soon before they are 'discovered'.

Its all good but his fish ( whatever the fishermen bring in) is astounding

Theme: French His soups are wonderful but its all good. He makes his own bread and it is worth going just for that!

Soft jazz

by grandmaR about The Galley Restaurant

Individual service. The lady in charge came out and asked us whether we would eat salads. When we said that we would, she said that many tourists refused to eat fresh vegetables, and that she was tired to serving them to have them ignored. I had conch steak and my husband had steamed shrimp- when we asked if we could have it steamed instead of fried (as on the menu) they were glad to comply Fresh salad was served when we assured her we would eat it, and grapefruit juice. US$24 for two

Lan Sluder of Belize First says:
"The Galley Restaurant and Bar should not be missed by jazz lovers or those who enjoy good food. Cleveland and Julia Berry fix a fine T-Bone (US$8), as well as Creole style lobster (US$12.50). Try their famous 'Seaweed Drink' - similar to egg nog with a pleasing flavor and a shot of brandy for good measure. Locals giggle and say, "It's good for de back mon!" by which they mean it improves a man's performance of his husbandly duties. Who can say?"

.The Galley and Tentacles are where the action is at night. Unfortunately, when we were there Tentacles was not open.

If You Need Breakfast Early...

by diver-x about De Thatch

De Thatch is the place to go if you need breakfast and you've got an early-morning activity planned. We needed to meet our group for diving at 7:30, and we were able to get in and out of De Thatch in 20 minutes with a warm meal, coffee & juice in our bellies. De Thatch has an open-air, sheltered patio and also indoor seating. The breezier patio seating is much more desirable. The breakfast burrito was very good and was more than enough for breakfast. We also ate dinner there once and although I don't recall what I ordered, I know it was pretty good. I do remember that we ordered mudslides for desert, which were excellent! My pet peeve is a mudslide without enough chocolate syrup and I was not disappointed here! This was a chocolate-lover's mudslide!

Comments