Ex-Servicemen Rd., PO Box 148, Punta Gorda, Belize

• Tranquil Jungle Cottages

We spent 3 nights of our honeymoon at the tranquil Hickatee Cottages in Punta Gorda.

Ian and Kate, a British couple, own the resort with 3 cabanas, restaurant and bar surrounded by the jungle. Being in the jungle, there was a lot of wildlife around to enjoy as we relaxed on our porch - butterflies, hummingbirds, and the sound of howler monkeys nearby. Our cabana was new, large and nicely furnished. The Belizean hardwood floors and the wood furniture, which was mainly locally made added a cozy feel to the cottages. It was a great value.

The best part of the trip was Ian and Kate's service. They went out of their way to make our trip comfortable and memorable. It started in the morning with coffee/tea brought to our veranda to drink at our leisure. Then, a book in our cottage outlined useful information about the area with tour information, which Ian and Kate then set up for us. Actually, one tour that we wanted to take was full already, so Ian showed us around himself. We got to see the wonderful Fallen Stones butterfly farm and Moho River. They also provide free bikes as an added bonus to go explore the nearby town with. The bike ride is quite easy and enjoyable. Also, when Ian was available, he drove us into town or even back from town.

Finally, the restaurant is great. Kate cooked some of the most delicious food, and we were always stuffed afterwards.

We would go back to Punta Gorda just to stay at the Hickatee Cottages.

Unique Quality: Outstanding characteristics of this accommodation include superior customer service and the tranquil jungle location.

More about Hickatee Cottages

A Great Place to Stay in Punta Gorda

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagolandJac

I was so impressed with Hickatee Cottages I overcame my aversion of writing to post my first review. I think the primary reason I enjoyed my stay so much is the fact that the owners, Kate and Ian Morton, were not only amazingly friendly and hospitable, but also always delivered more than what was expected in every facet of a B and B.

Some of the unexpected, but pleasant surpises I experienced included superb food preparation for both breakfast and dinner, a very nice selection of red and white wines, and plenty of help getting around the Punta Gorda area. Bikes were provided whenever needed and arrangements were made to pick me up and drop me off at the airport. The cottages are pristine and bug free and their staff friendly.

I could go on and on-help getting to Placencia (bus, water taxi option, plane), arranging rides to visit my daughter staying north of the town, the butterfly farm, Mayan ruins visit...

I certainly will choose Hickatee the next time my travels are anywhere near Punta Gorda.

Thanks again to Ian and Kate

what all these other reviewers are saying is true

by TripAdvisor Member chartreuse_shrimp

Hickatee Cottages is certainly one of the best accomodations we have visited anywhere. We were there for 3 days in mid May of 2007, and wished we had made it more like a week or 2. The food is great, too. Best of all, it all happens on your schedule, even the early morning coffee served on the porch of your cottage (are you listening, Costa Rica?). We only had to ask, and they were immediately onto whatever we needed. That, to me, is first class service.

OK, it's not on the beach... it's in the forest. Very quiet at night. The generator hums along for a while, but it makes a lot less noise than a lot of air conditioners in a lot of American motels I've suffered in. OK, there's no AC in the rooms (want 65 degree rooms? go to Seattle, or Dallas in August). But the cottages were well ventilated and the fans did their job. And, they have just installed a small spa-sized pool to cool off in.

The owners, Ian and Kate, seem very well informed about - and involved with - the community, both natural and human, and this translated into finding activities that suited these visitors quite well.

Birders will love the location, from the trails that start at the door step to the roadsides nearby. Try to book a birding trip with a local birder named George, even if you are not a birder, but especially if you are.. the guy is amazing. We also did a custom day tour with Bruno, an ex-pat German who is now a Belizean citizen and licenced tour guide, who did a fine job on short notice of showing us around the Mayan sites, Blue Creek cave, and other odds and ends that caught our attention.

We recommend Hickatee Cottages to anyone, and hope we can get back soon. The first Cacao Festival took off just as we were leaving -- we hope we can make it next year... Mark your calendar!

Amazing Cottages, Wonderful Hosts

by TripAdvisor Member iamscubaerin

I can't say enough wonderful things about Hickatee. I just returned from staying here while in PG. Ian and Kate are wonderful and helped set up snorkeling, touring PG, and loafing around the cottages and PG! Ian also set me up at my next "hotel" on the Rio Dulce. Dinner, cooked to order by Kate was amazing. Will definitely be returning to Hickatee!

great vacation

by TripAdvisor Member adman49

we spent 4 days at Hickatee and 4 at Reef CI on Franks Caye. Punta Gorda was just the place we were looking for. not a lot of tourists, very friendly people, and lots of wonderful outdoor activities. Ian and Kate at Hickatee were easily some of the best hosts we've encountered in our travels. the cottages are quaint, clean, and very comfortable. the food was great. and our hosts dedication to making our stay enjoyable was obvious. they know the area well and have plenty of connections. we hope to go back some day and highly recommend anyone looking for a great place to stay off Belize's usual destinations.
Reef CI at Frank's Caye was a couple hours boat ride from P.G. the island and the rest of the Sapodilla Cayes are truly breathtaking. snorkeling and fishing were very good. the island is very small, but there's tons to do if you like to keep moving. accommodations are bare-bones, but comfortable if you're used to roughing it. we had no problem, but the couple with us complained a little. be sure to bring bug repellent and mosquito-netting. hosts were very knowledgeable and helpful, but you are on your own to make things happen - no problem with us.

Perfect hosts for the perfect location

by TripAdvisor Member UKTinTin

After travelling through Nothern Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras we re-entered Belize via PG on our way back to Belize City intending to stay for a single night to refresh.
Unfortunately we stayed at Hickatee Cottages and the single night ended up being two nights then three..... if we never had a flight to catch back home I think we would still be at Hickatee. It is just as well that Hickatee was at the end of our trip and not the beginning!
Where do I start - the passion and love that Ian and Kate have put into developing Hickatee is very eveident from its eco friendly build and environment through to the level of care that they have for their guests.
The rooms are lovely and finished to a very high standard with all the little extras that make you feel like you are home from home. Food is exquisite with a diverse enough range to allow you to try something new every day - Kate is a superb cook.
The jungle trail is very impressive with over 1 and a half miles, bridges over streams, beautiful flora and fauna - cannot wait until Ian has built the canopy walk!
All in all we felt more like friends than guests and both Kate and Ian went out of their way to make our trip enjoyable.
We will be back... Jason and Sam

Seems like there's not much more to say....

by TripAdvisor Member rubyG

After looking over several of the reviews of Hickatee Cottages, and the warmth and generosity of it's innkeepers, Ian and Kate Morton, it looks like all the great adjectives have been covered. We can only heap on more, gladly! We also came down to Punta Gorda to stay at Hickatee in August---a very intense time to be in the jungle. Amid the bird pandemonium, the howler monkeys always a strange sound in the background, add the threat that a hurricane could sweep in and bring even more "excitement" ---though there are enough rousing thunder storms to keep one's blood pumping!
We simply love the place and the people---and their assortment of animals!

Jungle Experience

by TripAdvisor Member artysmarty

It was fantastic to have the extensive jungle walk ways on our door step. To be able to wander down the well maintained paths in to the jungle with a torch at night was a fantastic experience. Kate and Ian made us feel very welcome and were extreamely helpful in assisting with arrangements, day trips, visits etc. It was great to be able to borrow their bikes and head down to the local village in an area of belize that remains uncrowded and still largely jungle.

This is the place to stay !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Tupit

Ian and Kate are simply wonderful!
They treat you as the most important guest in the world. They know how to make you feel unique.
The location is amazing, the rooms are more than confortable, their hints about the Toledo district so useful...everything is perfect.
In Punta Gorda the Hickatee is the place where to stay.
Ilaria Degl'Innocenti

Over the top Hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member Conscious_Traveler

We were a party of six who "took over" the three separate accommodations at Hickatee. Ian and Kate Morton, the proprietors, cannot be adequately described with just a few words, but Outstanding Hosts comes to mind. They are very hard working and dedicated to serving their guests with very knowledgeable advice on the many daily trip or excursion options. They seem to know everyone of consequence in the Punta Gorda area. They serve the local community in many volunteer ways and are tireless servants of the environment and dedicated to living sustainably in this world. Ian is also the Director of the local Butterfly Preserve and is very knowledgeable about local flora and fauna. I would highly recommend this venue for any visitor to Punta Gorda, which has a lot to offer visitors choosing a much less visited part of Belize.

Comments