Deadmans Bay, Tortola, , Peter Island, 00801 2409, Caribbean

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Peter Island Resort

luxury resort

by arasnosliw about Peter Island Resort

Pretentious, snotty, unable to deal with bikini clad Sara....

Stay here only if you brought a coat and tie....and if you're looking to waste a good deal of money. amazing swimming pool, I have to admit.

Picture perfect honeymoon spot

by gpassey about Peter Island Resort

Private island, picture perfect beach, limited number of rooms, and attentive staff make this paradise on earth. The pool area is great. The all inclusive meals are first class (in fact, many yachters come ashore to enjoy the restaurant). Two days that particularly stood out for us were when they dropped us off on the other side of the island, alone, with champagne to witness the sunset, and when they dropped us off on a deserted beach for the day, complete with catered picnic lunch. Perfect.

Peter Island, I disagree with Dallas, Texas

by TripAdvisor Member ginny1703

We just returned from Peter Island (4/30 to 5/7) and totally disagree with the post from Dallas Texas. We saw the GM every day, he was in the lobby every morning at 7:00Am when I came down for coffee, he was always in one of those golf carts going up and down the road to the beach, (we even hitched a ride from him a couple of times), he was at the West Indies nite on Monday the entire time meeting and greeting the guests. He even got a CD for my husband that he requested and personally saw that he got it. I don,t know what part of the island you were on but I find it hard to believe that you never saw him. I never found the staff at either of the restaurants in any type of hurry to get you out, as a matter of fact they just let us linger as long as we wanted. Jean and the rest of the staff do a super job, always smiling and saying hello. I will admit that the boaters are a nuisance and something should be none to keep them off the beaches and walking all over the resort. When you are paying that much money you don,t want to have to tell boaters that they are taking up paying guests seats to move. Overall we had a great time and enjoyed the resort immensely and we are hoping to get back next year.

Panorama

by kyoub about Skyworld

Being up here is like being on top of the world. Spectacular daytime views and at night you can see the lights of the town below.
Local food is good,
In the background of the picture is Peter Island, Norman Island, and St John Island.

FERRIES

by sabsi

Ferries are a great way to get from one island to the other. We took a lot of them during our stay and loved it. You are basically among locals, you get to see the beautiful islands from the water side and they are fast and reliable. And sometimes they even leave on time ;)

Here are your options:

Ferries from Road Town, Tortola go to
- Peter Island (5$ round trip)
- Virgin Gorda (30$ round trip)
- Anegada (via Virgin Gorda, 45$ round trip)
- and to the USVI.

Ferries from West End, Tortola go to
- Jost van Dyke (25$ round trip)
- and to the USVI (45$ round trip).

Ferries from Trellis Bay, Beef Island go to

- Tortola
- Beef Island
- and to Anegada.

Ferries from Anegada go to
- Tortola via Virgin Gorda. (Mo, We, Fr)

The typical ferry companies are as follows:

Smiths Ferry, 284-495-4495

Speedy's Ferry, 284-495-5240

New Horizon, 284-495-4495

North Sound Express, 284-495-2138

Native Son Inc., 284-495-4617

Peter Island Ferry, 284-495-2000

Marina Cay Ferry, 284-494-2174

The ferry timetable is published at all ferry docks. You can also find it here.

Service Island style, but Exceedingly Kind

My husband and I visited Peter Island in Summer 2003.
We stayed in a breathtaking Beach room with wonderful views of the ocean and gorgeous stone work throughout the master bath. I was six months pregnant at the time, and the staff went out of their way to treat us well. From Jean, packing afternoon snacks for us to take to the beach to Faye and the other waitstaff making sure everything was taken care of for us. Despite my attempts to walk more, I could not take a few steps without a driver insisting he take me wherever I wanted. I had to insist to be able to get any exercise!! One day, I felt sick, and my husband went to lunch alone. He returned ladened down with food Jean had packaged up for him at Deadmans. By the time dinner rolled around, I was still not feeling wornderful. The resort does not have room service, but when we called, they delivered a three course meal on china to out suite!!

Now this needs to be placed in the context of this is the islands. Things do move at a slower pace. We did have problems booking a trip at the front desk due to some confusion on who was responsible for this. But when someone finally did help us, they were more than apologetic for our troubles. But the vast majority of the staff does have the best intentions at heart. Our suite received housekeeping service at least twice a day with impeccable skill. We decided the insistance on "reservations" is more for the timing of turndown service than any need to keep the restaurant from being overbooked.

Overall we loved Peter Island. It is beautiful, and the food at Tradewinds is four stars!! The rack of lamb was perfection. Deadmans had excellent pizzas, yes pizza from a brick oven, and good dinner. But go to Tradewinds for dinner! The service is not the Four Seasons, but it far exceeds any other resort service we have experienced. We will return and recommend Peter Island without reservation.

Perfect romantic Caribbean escape

My wife and I love small, exclusive, relaxing, luxury hideaways in the Caribbean, and the Peter Island resort is one of the best. We have enjoyed ALL FOUR of our stays at the resort, including our wedding trip (married on Deadman's Beach in the presence of 40 of our friends/relatives) and our two-week-long honeymoon there a few weeks later.

Each time, we found the rooms comfortable, the restaurant superb, the staff very friendly, and the setting magnificent. Deadman's Beach is one of the very best white-sand beaches anywhere, mostly because of the palm trees (lots of shade), the hammocks, and the crystal-clear water. The resort also has a pleasant "edgeless" pool. Unlike much of the Caribbean, Peter Island has terrific (though hilly) hiking. Most of all, we enjoyed the friendly social atmosphere at Peter Island, a place where a couple can have lots of privacy to be romantic, but can easily strike up acquaintances with other couples. A real gem.

Absolute Paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member HamSandwich

My wife and I stayed at Peter Island for 11 days for our honeymoon and I give this resort a very high recommendation for those who want seclusion, great service, exceptional food and romance.

Even though we were planning on relaxing for the majority of our trip, we were pleasantly diverted by the activities that were available. We chartered the Simaril for a 1/2 (Paul and Judy were awesome!), went to Virgin Gorda/the Baths, took advantage of the complimentary water sports at Deadman's Beach, enjoyed the wine pairing dinner and couldn't get enough of the sunset at the Loop. There was also a lot of time spent relaxing in seclusion at White Bay (at most there were 10 other people on the entire beach) or at Deadman's Beach.

Don't go to Peter Island if you are looking to lose weight because the food is excellent and there is quite a lot of it.

The staff were friendly and definitely made you feel welcome - by our second day most knew us by name.

Overall, the experience at Peter Island was extremely positive and I would highly recommend it. The only downfall for those coming from the west coast is getting there which was around 15 hours.

Better than we had ever imagined!

My husband and I spent our honeymoon on Peter Island. Not knowing anyone that had been before we relied solely on the opinion of our travel agent. Although we have traveled to many Carribean Islands we were told this was worlds apart.

From the minute we stepped off the ferry we knew we had chosen a very special place. The island itself is kept in impeccable condition and the staff seems very proud of their beautiful island. On our first night we met Jeff at the cocktail party and he seemed genuinely thankful that we had chosen Peter Island.

Over our week long visit we quickly became acquainted with Jean's restaurant staff - especially Sheila. Each meal seemed like we were visiting friends! Not only did we meet many great islanders but we also met a lot of other honeymooners.

Overall our visit to Peter Island was excellent! We are already looking forward to our return visit. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing honeymoon destination I don't think there is a better place!

Just returned from paradise--addressing the reviews below

by TripAdvisor Member London_UKRelax

This is a fantastice island. You are probably reading all of the reviews below to decide on a vacation destination (as we did) and I thought I'd address a few of the things below. To begin with, this island is absolutely beautiful, the beaches are great, and the rooms are very nice. We went to Peter Island concerned about the service because of the reviews we had read and I'll tell you that either they fixed the problem or the people below are wrong. The staff at Peter Island was excellent, the people in both restaurants were wonderful, and contrary to what other reviews have said, we found the staff to be extremely friendly and accomomdating. Treat people with a little respect and it goes a very long way. I will say that tipping in the restaurants and bars is recommended. We tipped on our drink orders and typically 5-20 dollars a meal depending on the service. The food was tremendous, and every meal was a treat. The snorkeling at White Bay (one of the beaches) was great. We saw turtles, baracuda, squid, and all sorts of beautiful tropical fish daily.

If you're schedueling your trip expecting the new spa to be open--don't. It's not open now and the people we spoke with said that it probably won't be open until November--December 04. The managment company that books the trips needs to be more clear here. I will say that when it's open it will be one of the best in the Carribean. We toured the grounds and it is gorgeous.

We spoke with several people that had been to Cap Jaluca, Caneel Bay, Little Dix, etc.(all we considered), and they all agreed that Peter Island was best. It has plenty to do if you are interested and it's very easy to do nothing. You can meet other couples or stay completely private. I did hear great things about Biras Creek too from a couple of guests. I would recommend this trip to anyone and we'll likely go back soon.

Sunset at Peter IslandSunset at Peter Island

rocky shores of Peter Islandrocky shores of Peter Island

tree, Peter Islandtree, Peter Island

Chose your boat!Chose your boat!

BVI First-timer

by atltraveler

My boyfriend and I are planning a week-long trip to the BVI's over Memorial day. We've been to St. Thomas and St. John, taken a boat tour around some islands in the BVI's, but I have no idea what island to stay on, resorts, best activities to do, etc. I would appreciate any guidance. Thank you, in advance.

by Jamesr3939

I have only been there once and that was several years ago when we did a Windjammer Barefoot cruise. We left from Roadtown and did not get to see much of it. Probably the most fun we had at a port stop was at Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda.

by Odinnthor

With three replies Tim, I cannot help to chuckle as the Caribbean islands get to you in the long run. By the end of your first reply, the memories come hard and fast, and further replies were needed......d:o)

By the way Tim's suggestions are spot on.....!!

by mhofmaier

On Tortola my favorite beach is Smuggler's cove - its off the cruise ship route. Scuba diving and sailing are natural choices of activities. For sailing I can recommend these guys http://www.whitesquall2.com/ who do groups of about 20 at a time and include snorkeling. For diving, I've had great experiences with http://www.jostvandykescuba.com/ and they'll even pick you up from Tortola and take you to Jost saving you the cost of the ferry! A half day dive and a half day at White Beach is a pretty good day!

by Alfine5

A few friends and I visited the BVI last summer and stayed on Tortola. We rented a villa during our stay but I wouldn't recommend that for only two people. We stayed on Tortola since it had more things to do and since it had the best accommodations options for us. Tortola is the most populated of all the BVI. If you are looking for something a bit more secluded and quieter, you may want to look into Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke or Peter Island.

In terms of activities, I would recommend that you take a day sail to the Caves on Virgin Gorda if you haven't done that before. Sailing is a big part of the BVI. Therefore, do a bit of that while you are there. We went with Patouche Charters and they were amazing. We had also done some scuba diving with Blue Water Divers off of Norman Island.

In regards to dining, I wasn't thoroughly impressed by the options on Tortola. St. Thomas and St. John definitely have better dining. This may partly be due to the fact that many restaurants on Tortola close down during the summer.

Virgin Islands questions

by agapotravel

Hi! My husband and I are planning a trip to the Virgin Islands in June/July 2008. We are flying to St. Thomas and plan to spend a couple of days and then on to Tortola for a week. What do you think of this plan?

Day 1 - fly to St. Thomas; explore
Day 7 - explore Tortola
Day 8 - ferry to Peter Island
Day 9 - ferry back to St. Thomas; fly home

Here are some questions:

*Has anyone stayed at Pavilions and Pools on St. Thomas?

*Has anyone stayed at the Long Bay Beach resort on Tortola?

*Should we rent a car the entire time, or just rent one for a day on each island that we visit?

Thanks so much for answering my many, many questions. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

:-)

by bhodgson

Your plan looks fine. A word of warning - many of the car rental places in St Thomas will not allow you to leave the island with your rental - not even to go to St John. We have driven extensively around St Thomas - not too many roads and not too bad to get around the main ones. Might want to do all of your St Thomas exploring before you go over to St John - more foucs for sightseeing. Your biggest issue is some place to park your car for the daywhen you go to St John - Parking lot is quite a sight. You can usually rent a car when you get off of the ferry in St John. We usually have done day trips to the other places from St Thomas because we have a place we like to stay on St Thomas so we base there but other than the one modification - your plans look fine. I will warn you that if this is your first time in the islands - give yourselves a chance to kick back and relax - that is half of the allure of the islands. Enjoy.

by agapotravel

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely remember that! We are very excited about our trip. :-)

by Sergeyu

Comments for the plan:

To my opinion there is not so much what to explore on tortola itself, there are only few good beaches, and the Road Town is bit dusty place. If you use this as base, then you can take standrad or individual day trip by catamaran or pseedboat to neighbour islands , coevring Cooper is., Slat is., you can stop at Peter is. for lunch ( on individaul tour, just be sure your capatin have aranged you can stop there - it's a private island), Norman is.

I would add Anegad is. as day trip - you do it with Fly BVI company, the island is really nice, 15km of becahes, 200 inhabitants, salt lake with falmingoes, excellent so called Anegada lobster at Bamboo restaurant, rent a car for that trip - see my travel pages.

Comments