Prospect Reef Resort - Tortola

Rated 22% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Prospect Reef Resort - Tortola

Diving the Rhone

by grandmaR

"Wednesday December 3, 1997"

After breakfast, Gwen and I took SHOUT (the dinghy) and got a mooring to dive the Rhone.

She wanted to get there early before all the tour boats took the moorings.

After we left, Bob and Don took TACKLESS II over to a mooring and snorkeled the Rhone.

We both saw turtles in difference places

Since the Rhone wreck lies on a reef in 20-80 feet of water either diving or snorkeling is a option. Some things, like the huge propellor can really be better seen by the snorkeler from the perspective high above it.

We came back aboard, and had more juice after going from the mooring to anchor off Salt Island. Here we had lunch and got the film together.

We sailed toward Sopers - Don saw his fender, but when we tried to pick it up, it was attached to something, so we let it go. Was sort of like a MOB drill (Man OverBoard).

Got to Sopers and picked up a buoy. Took SHOUT to shore and I bought a T-shirt for my son-in-law and some jewelry. Then took a Tortola tour with the Long Bay taxi. The driver's name was Carlton. We dropped a couple off at Frenchman's and then the skipper of DONNYBROOK to Customs and then another couple to Prospect Reef. Then we continued through Road Town and went up and ran along the top of the island. We stopped at Skytop (?) restaurant and I went up on the observation deck. I took this opportunity to change film. Went up the backside (Carlton was having a hard time with smoke coming out of the engine - probably something leaking on the manifold), We came down by Carrot Bay, Apple Bay and then on to Long Bay before we turned back to go to the Jolly Roger.

We had dinner there. Bob had swordfish and shrimp, Gwen and Don had tuna and I had red snapper with papaya sauce. All very good although Gwen and Don said their tuna was overcooked. The cook (a friend of theirs) ran out of propane. Watched snowboarding on ESPN while we ate. I had chocolate mousse and Bob had Key Lime pie. Gwen had the key lime pie too, but she thought it was too tart. I also had a virgin strawberry daiquiri.

To bed early

"December 4"

Last day. I got up and took photos in the morning light. Put on a bathing suit and went out on deck. Don showed me his computer (CD based) chart/navigation program. He wanted to know how much I spent on goods that I was bringing back with me to the USVI. I said $200-$250 but on further review, I find that it was a little more than $160.00. I did a little snorkeling but the viz is not too good.

Dropped the mooring (after Don complained about partiers on the next boat) and motored out near Maho Bay while Don and Bob discussed electrical stuff. My panaramic camera sounds sick Went through the book and IDed the creatures that we have seen.

Next - Back to St. Thomas

Post office from outside the windowPost office from outside the window

Modular floor near Village Cay MarinaModular floor near Village Cay Marina

Seafarer's GraveSeafarer's Grave

Government House, Road Town, Tortola, BVIGovernment House, Road Town, Tortola, BVI

Ever heard of Peach Cottage or Sugar Loaf Cottage on Tortola

Hi there,

Has anyone heard anything about Peach Cottage on Tortola...either stayed there or heard comments? I've searched the internet high and low and haven't found a person, yet, that has had an experience with this cottage. AH!

We're looking for a reasonable private cottage with a private pool for sometime in June and this appears to be the cheapest.

Sugar Loaf Cottage is an option too, anyone have comments regarding this place as well?

Thanks so much, in advance.

Dawn :)

RE: Ever heard of Peach Cottage or Sugar Loaf Cottage on Tortola

by ballerina

Sorry, I haven't heard of your Cottages, but I hope your holiday goes well.

If you are pleased with your cottage or a restaurant or boat company, please email me and let me know, as I am trying to gether information for my wedding,

Thanks

RE: RE: Ever heard of Peach Cottage or Sugar Loaf Cottage on Tortola

Hi there,

We actually scratched the BVI trip in June for a jaunt to Vegas in May and our big trip to Netherlands, Jordan, Syria, Israel & Italy later in the year.

I wouldn't recommend Prospect Reef Resort on Tortola though, in 2000 it was worn, rundown and many facilities were not working...and recent reviews on www.tripadvisor.com are saying the same thing four years later. AH!

Happy travels,
Dawn

RE: Ever heard of Peach Cottage or Sugar Loaf Cottage on Tortola

by 1meadow1

Just returned from a week there and highly recommend it. It is a cottage and works just for 2 but it is spotlessly clean, well equipped and well located high up a hill in the West End. The cottage is adjacent to the owners home and could probably benefit from some addditional screening but privacy is carefully respected.

RE: RE: Ever heard of Peach Cottage or Sugar Loaf Cottage on Tortola

by XtravelloverX

Thank you for your response. We'll keep that in mind for a future Tortola trip. :)

Travel Tips for Road Town

Roadtown from a Cruise Ship

by grandmaR

We went up to the buffet to have breakfast on the 17th. We came into Tortola and tied up at the dock. We saw an overturned boat as we came in, and also some catamarans anchored in what Bob thought was the channel, but it was actually not. The bow thrusters stirred up mud in what we thought was the channel, but actually they were pushing us up to the pier.

We saw the marinas for Sunsail and other charter companies. We didn't have a tour booked, so we walked out along the 6th deck to see what we could see.

About 11, we got off the ship and walked along the dock. Bob walked ahead of me and I lost sight of him. So I went to the Village Cay Marina. I saw a black and white floor which was like the grey and black one our daughter had put in. I looked in the marina but didn't see any CSYs.

Then I stopped at a church and took some photos on the way to finding the Sunny Caribe shop.

At Sunny Caribe, I spent over $400 and sent four packages to my four children and their families. They have both spices and coffee and other types of food as well as Caribbean art work. I also bought some hisbiscus tea with no caffeine for Bob.

Then I walked to the PO and bought a stamp and finally sent a the card from Bermuda to my granddaughter that collects stamps.

Then I got a cab back to the ship. It was about 1:30 when I got back. Bob was already there and had had lunch. So I just had a nap and waited until dinner to eat. We went to the Summer Palace and we were close to the windows so I took a picture of Tortola as we were leaving.

They had a chicken fajita for an appetizer which I thought was a strange thing to have as an appetizer. The soup I had was egg drop, but it had other stuff in it - green onion and fried wonton chips.

For the main course I had prime rib which was very good. Bob had the coconut cream pie for dessert and I had something called Cappuccino Chocolate Mousse in a Chocolate Cup.

Since it was Monday, I went to the Crystal Atrium to watch the Monday night game and work on the computer. I discovered a Chihuly in the atrium.

Tomorrow we are in Antigua.

Comments