Fort Recovery Estate Villas

See Amenities
AlyssaRic's Profile Photo

A very Relaxing Resort

by written on July 30, 2007

My sister and brother in-law stayed at this Resort in June of 2007. We had a lovely stay and found this to not be your typical resort experience. Having traveled all over the Caribbean and South America, we were accustomed to many of the things we found on Tortola already, so our transition staying here may have been easier for us than others who are not used to it.

We stayed in a new 2-Bedroom Villa Penthouse. All of the villas they rent at Fort Recovery are situated on their little, private (not open to the public) beach. The privacy was probably the best thing about this resort. The resort gives you the feeling of seclusion being nestled in it's own little cove on the west end of the island, with private dock and small beach. The beach there is decent for swimming. We snorkeled there twice, far out past the shoreline, and found a very large habitat of fire coral, black coral (very rare!), sea fans and schools of yellow tail snapper, grouper and various different colored fish even a large manta-ray!

Our room was a lot more than we expected. We had never had such a large villa before. We rented a villa in Cane Garden Bay in the past and it was not nearly as spacious, clean or modern as this was. The villa came equipped with all of the modern conveniences as well as beautiful decor, large king beds and gourmet cooking kitchens. It was nice some days to just sit on our porch and read a book while watching the pelicans dive from their dock.

I suppose the center of attraction at this hotel is it's Fort, which I found out from the owner and a local historian at the museum on Tortola is the oldest standing fort in the Caribbean!

We had massages in their new Spa that was completed about a week prior to our arrival and everything was very clean and relaxing. The massages were very good, I myself had a second half hour one and a pedicure as well later on during our two week stay.

I would return to this hotel and definitely recommend it to future travelers of the BVI looking for that different resort experience.

Unique Quality: The Resort's Fort is a big part of history and lore and very interesting, Restaurant was very good with great service, Amazing views of St. John and nearby cays, Private Beach, Spacious and high quality villa, personable and friendly staff.

Directions: Follow the main road heading west from Road Town, will come to a long white stone wall on your left, take the first entrance you see through the gate.

Rest and Relaxation

by written on July 3, 2007

My family and I spent a week at Fort Recovery. Our trip to the BVI was filled with confusion and disturbances. Once we got to the hotel all our troubles just melted away. The view was beautiful from our balcony, and the beach is simply delightful. The food at the restaurant was the best we've had, and we even went to several other restaurants on the island! The location is also great. 20 minutes away from Road Town, where we can do lots of shopping, 10 minutes away from Soper's Hole where we could get whatever we may need for ourselves. Right over the hill is Smuggler's Cove, Long Bay Beach, and a little bit of a drive is Cane Garden Bay. All in all, our entire stay at Fort Recovery and Tortola as a whole, was simply fantastic.

Unique Quality: The Fort is a magnificent sight to behold. Something that could stand against the elements like that, since the 1600's? Remarkable!

mlocash's Profile Photo

Great location

by written on March 5, 2007

Over all a very nice place. If you are looking for a quite stay right on the beach then you should conside this place. We had a full kitchen and the balcony was a plesant addition.

Unique Quality: We received a package with one day snorkling. If you have the chance this was a great value.

Avoid Fort Recovery!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 20, 2006

My husband and I were guests at Fort Recovery, along with ten other people in June to attend my son's wedding at the resort. While we found the grounds to be lovely, clean and well-kept, the managment was a real problem. Our reserved rooms were unavailable; Pamelah's way around this was to offer the bride and groom an "up-grade" from a one-bedroom villa to a three bedroom villa. Sounded good until we realized that they would have to share the villa with two other couples. When my son and his wife passed on the "up-grade," my husband and I were placed in the suite, which we were forced to share with my daughter and her fiance. We were assured that the villa was very private, only to discover that none of the bedroom doors in the villas have doors on them. When my daughter questioned the arrangement, Pamelah's reply was that if that was not acceptable, they could stay somewhere else.
Many of the arrangement that my son and his wife had made previous to their arrival were not been carried out or were finally done with difficulty. My daughter-in-law spent her first night at Fort Recovery crying because Pamelah criticised her for being "too fussy" for not wanting to share her honeymoon room with her father and his companion. The ceremony itself was lovely and when we finally got ourselves seated, the food was quite good. However, we did have to redo the seating for the dinner, as Pamelah had seated all of the guests along one side of a long table, so that no one was facing anyone else. When we moved the chairs so that we were seated along both sides of the table, Pamelah was visibly annoyed. One would think it was her wedding. All in all, we loved Tortola and will return soon. It's a perfect location for a family (adults) vacation. However, there are many. many places on the island that would be a better choice than Fort Recovery.

Unique Quality: Our room was clean and comfortable and the cleaning and wait staff were wonderful. Other members of our party did not have the same luck with their rooms.

Do not expect much. Overbooked bait and switch.

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 2, 2006

My brother decided to have his wedding here in June 2006. We booked our rooms in January. Upon arrival Fort Recovery did not have our rooms. Our only option was to share a very un private three bedroom villa with my parents or stay off property. My main problem is with Pamelah the manager at Fort Recovery, she is rude, abrupt and acts as if she is doing you a favor by letting you stay at her mediocre hotel. The "spa" is a back room/storage area with a plug in foot spa, treadmill and mirror. The beach is not a swimming beach it is rocky and choked with grass. I did snorkel and saw a few fish by the rock jettys and dock. The rooms are average nothing at Fort Recovery was worth the complications and problems that we encountered during our stay. Tortola is a beautiful island, just do not taint your memories by a stay at Fort Recovery.

Unique Quality: The housekeepers and waitstaff are lovely.
The view is great, if you get your own balcony.

Nearby Fort Recovery Estate Villas

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Tortola Travel Forum

Need advice about Tortola, British Virgin Islands? Visit the Travel Forum for Tortola and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Tortola hotel reviews

Bomba's Surf Shack ~ On the Wild Side
Sky World ~ Panoramic Viewpoint
The Splendid Wall Mural of Fahey Hill
Things to Do
Cane Garden Bay ~ " One Jewel of Tortola"
Reaching Tortola
Cane Garden Beach
Climb Mount Sage
Take a ferry to the other BV Isalnds
Things to Do
Driving in Tortola......be prepared!
Warnings and Dangers