Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• agapotravel's Profile Photo

An Unexpected Surprise

We booked and paid for a beachfront cabana at Long Bay Beach Resort in August 2007. Imagine my disappointment when we checked in and were told that they were all booked. I was so upset. The beachfront cabanas are very rustic (bascially just a bed and a bathtub), but they are right on the water's edge. I was so looking forward to staying in one. Well....after I got over my shock of not being able to stay in one that I had paid for almost a year ago, I heard the lady at the front desk telling us how lucky we were because we were being put in one of the brand new beachfront deluxe rooms. OH MY GOSH!!! Forget being disappointed!! :-) As soon as I saw this room, I was thrilled at the way things had worked out. We were steps from the beach in a gorgeous suite. We had a living area, full kitchen, and perfect view of the sunrise/sunset. We also could hear the waves crashing outside. It was fantastic.

Unique Quality: I counted....it was 3 steps from the deck of our room to the steps leading to the beach....5 steps down, and you were on the beach and in the water. I usually don't want to pay for the pricetag that comes with being on the water, but it was very worth it.

• Stay here!

I live here! Its a very laid back resort, the staff are really helpful and friendly and the amenities are pretty okay - pool, 2 tennis courts a small gym, 2 good restaurants and a pool bar, with a couple of shops.
    Good value for a stay in Tortola.

Unique Quality: Fantasic views of Jost Van Dyke, stunning beach with smugglers cove around the corner - and lets not forget the dead cheeky, but amusing porters !!!

Directions: Head out of Road Town towards the West End and just follow the odd sign for Long Bay - you cant miss it

More about Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas

Tortola Hotel Recommendation

by snowhater about Long Bay Beach Resort

Stayed at Long Bay Beach Resort for our Honeymoon in April of 2005. The resort was great! The location on of the resort on the island is perfect because it is secluded enough to be very relaxing yet it is easy to get to other interesting spots on the island. -I recommend staying in one of the beachfront cabanas. They are slightly rustic, but very comfortable and right on the beach.
-The beach itself is very nice and uncrowded. Swimming is best just west of the resort.
-The pool area is great and has a swim up bar/grill. The service here (especially Cheryl) is VERY good and friendly.
-The 2 restaurants in the resort were both very good. Tortola is full of fun restaurants so we ate at many places outside the resort. For this reason, we opted not to take the "all-Inclusive" option.

All-Inclusive

by mnderoche about Long Bay Beach Resort

After A LOT of research, my husband and I decided to take our honeymoon at Long Bay Resort (all-inclusive) and it was AMAZING. The ocean was beautiful. There were some large rocks in the beach, which made swimming a little painful at points, but they also made gorgeous waves (which are hard to find in the Caribbean). The people at Long Bay were very friendly and accommodating. The room was well-kept and the pool was awesome. We went in the off season (July) so it felt like we practically had the entire resort to ourselves. My husband is not a strong swimmer, so we didn't take any excursions, but there are many that are offered. We did take a day trip to Smuggler's Cove (another beach on Tortola where the water was smooth as glass), which the resort completely arranged (complete with packed lunch and transportation). My husband and I had the perfect romantic and relaxing week and hope to return for our ten year anniversary. All rooms at Long Bay have an ocean view. Our room was on the hillside so we had a gorgeous panaramic view from our balcony. There were three restaurants to choose from and the food was quite good. All the restaurants had superb views. One night, one of the restaurants offered a steel drum band as entertainment. The beach looked very natural as the hotel did not rent umbrellas - there were plenty of palm trees for natural shade. The beach was unique in the fact that it didn't feel like we were sitting next to a resort. We looked back and saw trees and mountainside instead of a 12 story building. I can't say enough about Long Bay.

Beautiful Island, Ugly Service

Tortola is a quiet, serenely beautiful destination. The island is lush and green with native folage. The cascading mountains slope to meet the powder-sand beaches; and, this beauty is surmounted only by the breathtaking sunsets.

However, the island's beauty is in complete juxtapostion to the service that we received at The Long Bay Beach Resort and Villas in Tortola. While the resort is a beautiful and well-maintained area, the service we received, or rather did not receive, was not in line with the ambience. The front desk clerks, manager on duty, and wait staff were rude. We often felt as if we were wrong for asking for basic necessities. For example, the resort lost our reservations and put us in an inferior room. It was only after much frustration and a day wasted that we were put into the beachfront room we had originally booked. Also, the staff could be heard making fun of the guests. We were even hung up on by the font desk clerk when we asked for a taxi because the woman was "too busy". The resort food was mediocre at best. The behavior of the staff was noted by other guests that we spoke with. Our frustration with the staff's rude and surly behavior put a damper on what could have been the best vaction of our lives. Our recomendation is to visit Tortola, but stay somewhere else.
If you go, eat at C and F Restaurant for great seafood.

Read this review!

Long Bay is a great place to go and will long be remembered. The scenery is incredible, beautiful sunrises and sunsets from the Beachfront Deluxe rooms. The rooms are spacious with a good size bathroom area and dressing area (although not well lit). The maid service was fine, always kept our room very clean with plenty of towels. The people have a very friendly/sincere way about them. If every island person you pass seems to wave or say hi, a simple hi back is the polite thing to do. The people have a very calm and slow lifestyle about them. (Wish we could bottle this and take it home). When at the pool bar, always order before you get hungry, becaue this slow lifestyle pertains to service also. It really wasn't a problem in the other restaurants, that is the whole point of being on vacation. Speaking of the pool, it was very nice with sweeping views of the ocean and hardly ever crowded.
There are plenty of great places to eat on the island such as the 1748 House (in resort, Andrea was awesome), Sebastians, and Skyworld. You can walk to Sebastians but it's a very hilly 10 minute walk and if you take a taxi, the ride is so short, it is not worth 3 dollars per person. You need to take a Taxi when going to Skyworld which is 1300 feet in elevation(close to the top of Sage Mountain). Skyworld has won awards for 2001-2004 as the #1 place to take tourists in Tortola. It also has a great gift shop and the best food on Tortola in my opinion.
Make sure to visit Smugglers Cove at least once, this is by far the best beach on the island. Christopher makes delicious fresh fruit juices right in front of you. When deciding on a Taxi service, make sure to choose Kelly's. The price is reasonable and the drivers are very friendly. One of them waited for us for over 20 minutes while we finished our dinner at Skyworld and never complained. Another thing to do in Tortola is climb Sage Mountain. A taxi will take you 80% of the way up, then you walk along the paths. If possible, when doing this chosse Kelly's because other services can and will charge exorbitant amounts of money. If you do not do any of this, just visit the Baths on Virgin Gorda. The snorkeling gets 5*. Long Bays Beach is somewhat rocky but there is a stretch of about 60 yards with no rocks and no people. It's like having your own private beach. There are roosters on the resort which some people complained about but they didn't bother anyone. If you are looking foward to golfing here, the grass on the golfcorse is knee high. Long Bay does offer an all inclusive plan, but it's worth it to try other restaurants on the island which offers fabulous food.
Some reviews we read complained about the front desk staff. We had absolutely no complaints. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. They always inquired about your day, if you were having a good time etc. If you are looking for a 5 star resort with lots of catering and all the extras then this is probably not the place for you. But if you want a quiet place with very few people and gorgeous views, great food and friendly island people then Long Bay Beach Resort and Tortola is the way to go.

Memorable Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member jacksmomkim

We stayed at Long Bay Beach Club in November of 2001 for our honeymoon.
We loved our room with a beach view! The food for a resort that can be inclusive was wonderful, we enjoyed the breakfast buffet everyday and had several wonderful dinners as well. We did have problems with staff but chalked it up to cultural differences, for the most part they were wonderfully accommodating. We were able to get taxis immediately and also rented a car several times from the rental place on property. Long Bay is a good distance from Tortola but we found Tortola to be a place we didn't want to spend much time. The restaurants around Long Bay were just as good. We will return to celebrate anniversaries!

Enjoyed Long Bay

by TripAdvisor Member beth48

My husband and I stayed at the Long Bay Resort in February, 2003. I found this place on the web and the location was every bit as beautiful as their photographs. The staff greeted us warmly with a refreshing tropical punch. We stayed in a Jacuzzi Jr. suite - the room was nice but I think I'll try a different type of room the next time. Mostly due to the small bathroom vanity area, which was poorly lit. We did enjoy the porch which overlooked the ocean and neighboring islands. The beach is long and gorgeous but the surf was a bit rough. I'm not one to swim much in the ocean so that didn't bother me. We thought the swimming pool was nice and we enjoyed having a char-grilled burger and fries at the pool. We rented a car, which I highly recommend, and explored the entire island. The roads are adventurous but you get some of the most memorable views of the ocean and other islands in the distance. We went off-site most evenings for dinner although we did eat in their Garden Restaurant one night, and for their buffet (with entertainment by a Fungi Band! - that was great!).
The buffet was just ok for what you had to pay for it - not much of a selection of food. We really enjoyed Pusser's Restaurant - two locations on the island. We also ate at Sky World - the food was delicious and the sunset was beautiful. I would recommend a flash light for night - the first night my husband had to flick his bic just so we could see if we were at the right door (we weren't!!)
Also, if you have physical limitations, don't stay on the hill - it's quite a trek to your room, but you do get great views. Long Bay is not the most opulant resort, but it is very nice.

Stay elsewhere on Tortola

We stayed at Long Bay several years ago for 10 days. Although our room was okay - clean enough but not spotless - the very loud and disruptive construction started around 7:00 A.M. So much for sleeping in on your 10 days of hard-earned vacation. We then went to breakfast and there were wild roosters all around our feet. Occasionally the staff would swat at them but basically they had no problem with these creatures being around food, leaving their messes wherever they wanted in our open-style restaurant. The beach, although beautiful, is not swimmable due to the rocks, etc. The pool has the roosters around it. We did take a wonderful snorkeling trip from the downtown area - a catamaran - with a couple who knew all about the ocean floor. We went to Peter Island on this snorkeling trip and that was a great lunch. We also loved the restaurant Mrs. Scatliffe's - unique and small - but an unforgettable experience if you don't mind mix and match silverware and plates. We also enjoyed the food and the atmosphere at the Sugar Mill, right up the street. If you're going to Tortola, I would recommend saving your money to stay elsewhere. We will not go back to Long Bay. There were too many disappointments for our once a year vacation. Perhaps things have changed but from reading some of the other reviews, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Long Bay BeachLong Bay Beach