NearDBeach Limin Bar Hostel

P.O. Box 2935 East End, Caribbean

More about Tortola

Devil's Bay, baths on Virgin GordaDevil's Bay, baths on Virgin Gorda

Watch for the sign for the car parkWatch for the sign for the car park

The trail to Spring BayThe trail to Spring Bay

Speedy'sSpeedy's

help on where to stay..

by Victoruruguay

Hi everybody,
My wife and me are planning our first trip to BVI, we've been to several islands in the past and never yet to this location.
We like to be as close to the beach as possible and also with calm waters, we like snorkeling and sunbathing, I read there is surfing on the island ?..so I guess we should be on the opposite side ?...which side is calm and which one is rough ?.
Any help you can give us will certainly be appreciated, we are coming from Uruguay (South America), both in our 40's.
If you want you can answer directly to my email at : compras@miami-box.com, or if not I'll check again here, this is my first time in this forum.
Many thanks.
Rgds.
Victor

RE: help on where to stay..

by MaryMas

Hi Victor..
You don't say when you are coming.. There is only one "surfing" beach, and you can only really surf during the winter months, it is quite calm at the moment.

WIll you be renting a car? Where you stay may depend on this.
Also your budget will determine where you stay..
If the sky is the limit then I would say Peter Island or Biras Creek (about $700 a night) but if not you may like to stay in Cane Garden Bay or Long Bay. Did you want to rent a villa or stay in a hotel?
If you give me some more info I can give better suggestions..
I live on Tortola

Travel Tips for Tortola

Going to Church

by beckylizy

Those who are Christians or to say that they are born again, Jubilee Faith Center is a place where one word from God can change your life forever. Pastored by Frankie Rathanum and his lovely wife Sherril Rathanum.
On Sunday there are two sevices in the morning. One at 8:00am and one at 10:30am. on Wednsday night there is a midweek service to refresh your spirit and on Fridays there is youth meeting for the younger generation. everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!
swimming
diving
eating
wind surfing
sailing
snorkeling
going to church
hearing the word of God
and much much more!!!!!!!!!

Surfers

by grandmaR

When we did the circumnavigation of Tortola, I did see surfers on some of the beaches on the backside of the island. It might have been Cane Garden Bay or Apple Bay. The waves weren't too big - not as big as on Barbados in the Soup Bowl, but I did see them there.

Surf Spots

Apple Bay, Tortola
Located on the north shore, the surf spot breaks with waves 2'-10'. A beach break, with reef bottom. Right and left hand peaks.

Long Bay Beach, Tortola
A good beach for beginners but has a tendency to close out above 3'.

Cane Garden Bay
A point break with the waves wrapping around into the harbour. The waves need to be over 5' before the break is surfable. Size can reach 15'. Beware of exposed reef inside as the water sucks out. Not a safe spot for a beginner.

Coutins Bay
A left break that is surfable to 12'. The spot is only accessible by boat.

Josiah's Bay
A beach break that is sufable 2 - 8'. Tough paddle out at times, and closes out easily The surf is seasonal, roughly from mid November to late April, although during the summer months, swells do show up from passing storms on the northern side of the islands. It's wise to bring all of your own surf supplies with you because the one surf shop is some ways away from the surfing spots.

Anegada Island, the "Drowned Island"

by starship

Anegada, one of the largest British Virgin Islands, is a unique island for several reasons and is worth the effort to reach it if you can. Unlike the other British Virgin Islands which came into existence through volcanic upheaval and are moutainous or hilly, Anegada is virtually flat. It stretches for at least 10 miles but it's highest point is only 28 feet! Anegada is considered a coral island---more like a gigantic beach protected by an 18 mile long reef on its northern shore. The Anegada Reef is considered one of the largest in the Caribbean (another magnificent reef likes just off Belize). The reef is an important ecosystem providing a haven for a myriad of sealife. It was also the demise for hundreds of ships unaware of its presence!! Diving and snorkeling must be great here!!

The interior has many salt ponds, the largest being Flamingo Pond where flamingos were reintroduced into their natural habitat in 1992 (near Neptune's Treasure).

Though spare looking, Anegada boasts of some magnificent beaches with restaurants & bars, a small settlement of homes, an anchorage for sailors, and a small airport of its own for chartered planes & helicopters. Anegada can also be reached by boat & ferry from Road Town, Tortola and Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda ($50 to $65 US dollars roundtrip).

Sky World ~ Panoramic Viewpoint

by starship

Sky World is located on one of the highest points of Tortola with an almost 360 degree view of Tortola itself, the Caribbean, and the surrounding islands. Sky World itself consists of a couple small buildings housing a restaurant, a bar and small gift shop and so-called observatory. Being able to climb onto the roof of one building I guess qualifies it as an observation deck. The views are magnificent and our guide did a great job of pointing out the surrounding islands and giving us interesting tidbits of information on every single one that we could see.

We did not eat at the restaurant, but several people availed themselves of the liquid libations here and some did not. The bartender was terribly unfriendly, and tried to charge the men for using the restrooms! Some men who would have bought drinks at the bar promptly changed their minds when they heard this. It's a shame because that bartender not only lost revenue because of this, but also lost the goodwill of some visitors to his establishment!

The gift shop owner also was unfriendly so I only bought a couple postcards from her. There was a man outside who owned a burro covered in an orchid blanket which you could have your picture taken with for a price of course, and he was the worst of all!! He stood in front of me like he was the subject of the picture--he wouldn't even let me touch the burro!! His manner was rude and I don't know why I didn't walk away. That poor burro, he looks so sad--I don't remember how much we paid the man, but I hope the burro got dinner that night!

In short, the views were magnificent but other than that, Sky World can be completely skipped in my opinion!

Fort Recovery

by agapotravel

Fort Recovery was built by the Dutch in 1660. The ruins are on the grounds of the Fort Recovery Estate (a group of villas). It is not a major tourist attraction, but you are allowed to wander around the ruins and see the lookout tower.

Comments