Scrub Island, Caribbean

Devil's BayDevil's Bay

Rocks at Spring BayRocks at Spring Bay

Devl's Bay, the baths on Virgin GordaDevl's Bay, the baths on Virgin Gorda

Local Market by DockLocal Market by Dock

Which charter company is best for bareboating?

by Saltwhistle

We're planning a spring sailing vacation to Tortola. We're looking at Moorings, Horizon, and Sunsail in a 40'. Moorings offers newer and older boats and has a dependable reputation. Horizon and Sunsail seem to be cheaper. Which charter company is best for bareboating in Tortola?

RE: Which charter company is best for bareboating?

by MaryMas

I am not sure to the answer to your question, however try:
Incidentally, Sunsail is currently buying the Moorings

RE: Which charter company is best for bareboating?

by Caribbean1000

I've chartered with everyone who you have stated. There all ok, but I've had the best experiences with the Catamaran Company when I've chartered with them over in Tortola. They have a wide range of vessels to choose from especially for bareboating.

Travel Tips for Tortola

Roaming Livestock

by starship

One local custom that seems to be common on many Caribbean islands is the practice of letting livestock roam about freely. I've seen this alot, but every time I see them, I am amused. It would be almost unthinkable to let these animals wander freely in most countries for fear of their being hurt, stolen, killed, etc. But in the islands, the "no worries" attitude must prevail.

Admittedly, the animals in the accompanying pictures look better than most I've seen in my many trips to the Caribbean, but I tend to believe it is only because the fates have been kind and in no part due to their owners stewardship---or maybe they have no owners! I think these animals looked suprised or just as amused at seeing us and were maybe hoping for a handout.

In any case, if you're driving please be cautious and drive slowly because you never know when and where you might find animals crossing or near the road. Please be kind!

Virgin Gorda

by starship

Named "Fat Virgin" or "Virgin Gorda" by Christopher Columbus because of the islands silhouette, the island resembles a large woman lying on her back. Virgin Gorda is the 3rd largest of the British Virgin Islands. A very popular island in the BVI, Virgin Gorda is known for spectacular sights and interesting beaches. Huges boulders and rocks on the shore create grottos, and rock pools, water sprays and a great place to spend a day discovering its natural wonders.

Cane Garden Beach

by mazzap

Simply a beautiful beach!! I just wish I could have stayed a while longer! When you see an island per day as you usually do when Caribbean cruising, you get just a sample of what it has to offer - a good way to try before you buy really!

This island was most definitely worth a return visit!

The Baths-Devil's Bay Trail

by Dabs

Now this is the part of your visit that everyone talks about, the Devil's Bay Trail between Spring Bay and Devil's Bay. It's hard to know when you are chatting with cruisers as to whether something is challenging or merely challenging for someone who's not in good shape. The walk between them is somewhat of a highlight for most visitors, a sort of "Survivor" or "Amazing Race" challenge as you walk between, over and under giant granite boulders, climbing ladders, using ropes at one point to hoist yourself along. The trail is not marked with signs, although the sign at the start says there are piles of rocks called cairns to mark the way, so you are left to find your way if you are not there with a bunch of cruise ship passengers. For me, who is in reasonably decent shape, by that I mean I have all of my original parts, haven't had a pacemaker installed and still fit (barely) in an airline seat, there was nothing that caused me to balk. If you recently had hip replacement surgery, on the other hand, you may inquire about getting to Devil's Bay along the path that you take when you return back to the parking lot.

The sign at the front says it takes about 20 minutes and while I didn't time it, that seems about right.

Sage Mountain National Park

by agapotravel

My husband and I love to explore and hike, so visiting this park allowed us a chance to hike to the highest point on Tortola (Sage Mountain - 1,716 feet). There are numerous trails that lead through a tropical forest. There are also placards that identify various vines, flowers, and trees.

Admission is $3/adult.