The Tamarind Club Hotel

Josiah's Bay, East End, Tortola, Caribbean

Satisfaction Average

• Worst room you could imagine

I arrived to a less than hospitable atmosphere. Drunk people and no check in at all. "Go to the bar' someone said. After being ignored for ten minutes I asked for a room, and a drink. Several
    'deliverance ' looking fella's hunched over and looking menacing at everyone. I felt like I'd just walked into a swampy Georgia roadside shack. I could not believe I was in Tortola !
    Once my wildly touted 'free drink' was served, I sunk into the menu. Ordered some very simple food and waited, and waited. Now gourmet food could take this long, but 'freshly breaded' fish or chicken?
    When it finally came, it was surely a pre-made frozen, mass produced, from somewhere far away food. It was way overpriced, as was the room. I'll get to that in a moment. The bartender was doing shots (which is fine with me), but was buying/giving away drinks to everybody at the bar - except me.
    Blatantly ignoring me for as long as it took to make me leave and go to my room. ($170.USD)
    Oh boy. The room. The room from 'heck'. Not only was it full of mosquitos but the bed was something from a yard sale - a trailer sale, if that. I promptly was given a full can of Off and sent back to the room to fend for myself. If there had been an emergency, I truly believe nobody would have known what to do or who to call, if you could find anyone. By the way, if one were to leave anything in a room, it would most likely have gone missing.
    I could go on and on, but I think anyone would realize from this accurate account, that this is what might be expected.

Unique Quality: Time-warp back to the deep, deep south (US)

Directions: Asked the taxi - I don't recall

• catalysta's Profile Photo

Join the family, even if it's just for one night!

When I first arrived at the Tamarind Club, after the kamikaze taxi ride from hell, I had to drag my luggage up a steep flight of stairs and then check in at the pool bar, since it was late & the desk was closed. I was tired, bug-bitten, sweaty & grumpy, and my first impression was that the room was kind of shabby & would just make do for one night. (Of course it was their smallest & cheapest garden room.)
    A shower improved my mood drastically, and then the whole family thing began to unfold for me. By the time I left, I'd made friends and felt sad to go!

Unique Quality: A couple from Chicago bought the hotel about 4 years ago, so now they run it with the help of their kids, who tend bar, help with luggage, cook, clean, etc. The minute you join them at the pool bar for your complimentary rum punch, the whole world seems just a little brighter. Warmth & camaraderie are the "outstanding characteristics" here, and the location close to the airport makes it an excellent value for commuting thru Tortola.

Not to mention that the butternut squash soup was superb!

Directions: Josiah's Bay is about a 10-15 minute taxi ride from the Beef Island airport (depending on how crazed your cabbie is)

Comments