Amateras

Caribbean

More about Virgin Gorda

The Seabourn LegendThe Seabourn Legend

A view of South SoundA view of South Sound

Along the trailAlong the trail

Lots of places to exploreLots of places to explore

Mall hours on sunday

by Mwhardin

What time is the mall and shopping stores open on Sundays?

Re: Mall hours on sunday

by Odinnthor

Tou my knowledge there is no "mall" in Virgin Gorda. There is a sort of shopping center in Spanish Town by the Yacht Harbor. I don't remember if they are open on Sunday. Sorry.

Travel Tips for Virgin Gorda

Sand Flies & Jellyfish can happen to you!

by catalysta

Get a waterproof belt pouch for your valuables! I've used one ever since getting ripped off on St. Maarten, whenever I am swimming or snorkeling. Reef thongs & or sport sandals, and some reef booties that get good traction on wet rocks are a good idea too. Sarongs for us girls, I live in them when in the tropics; one that's not too obviously beachy can easily pass for a skirt in restaurants. Beyond the obvious sun screen, take some effective bug spray if you are staying on or near a beach (Tinkan recommends Cactus Juice, available online). Buy a cheap bottle of vinegar if you get lots of bites anyway, it helps with itchy bites & with taking the pain out of a jellyfish sting. Aloe is also good for pain of sunburn etc. I find the transparent Caladryl is the ONLY really potent itch relief medication.

Motion Eaze if you have any problems with sea sickness at all, it's damned near miraculous! Just dab a little drop in the hollow behind each of your ears, andyou are good to go. It even works once the motion sickness has set in, doesn't have to be taken in advance. Underwater disposable cameras if you don't have one of your own, or an underwater housing for your regular digital camera! The snorkeling here is outstanding. I've got some light weight snorkeling fins that I take along with my mask, snorkel & dive booties. I am going to sell my big heavy dive fins, you can always rent those at a shop when you need them. With all those connections to make enroute, you want to travel light with carry-ons, no checked luggage if you can avoid it. If you must check a bag, make sure you've got everything you'd want for the first several days in your carry-ons. It's an interesting Caribbean phenomenon, but many checked bags decide to take little side trips to Antigua or St. Maarten on their own, and wander on back to your destination a few days later...

Snorkel snorkel snorkel!

by catalysta

This island is a snorkeler's heaven, with lovely reefs close to shore and an abundance of sea life all around you. See Things To Do tips about Little Dix Bay & Savannah Bay for particulars. I bring my own snorkel mask & fins with me on island trips, so I won't have to hassle with renting them. For some great small lightweight snorkel fins, check out TUSA Reef Tourers, available from many different web sites if you Google them.
I've actually decided to sell my dive fins and just carry these snorkel fins from now on, so I can do carry-ons for tropical trips with lots of airport interchanges. The mask you buy is more a personal issue; mine is a good quality dive mask I had fitted at a dive shop.

The Three Indians

by travelqueen7

Christopher Columbus had named these rock formations as the 3 Indians, as he thought that's what they looked liked. It is a wonderful place to go snorkeling or scuba diving. There are many trips of both out to this spot, where there is an abumdance of life under the sea.

Swim & snorkel at Savannah Bay beach

by catalysta

The beach at Savannah Bay is often completely deserted, though it has a gorgeous long stretch of enticing white sand, and superb snorkeling. If you are looking for no crowds and easy access from the roadway, this is the spot for you to try first. You can drive right down to a sandy parking area at the beach, and then have it all to yourself - but before you succumb to the temptation to skinny dip, remember you can still be seen from the road and an overlook (see photos below), and this island is British, not French so you might well get a fine!
Also watch out for strong currents, this beach isn't as protected as some others. The best snorkeling is off to the southern side of the beach.

Dive the famous Wreck Of The Rhone

by catalysta

This superb wreck dive was made even more famous by the classic 1977 adventure movie The Deep, with Nick Nolte, Jacqueline Bisset & Robert Shaw. Now when I watch the first 10 minutes of that movie I get to relive my dive!
My first Rhone dive was with a bigger resort dive boat out of St. Thomas, Chris Sawyer. While they did an excellent job of narrating the history and guiding us over the main sights of the wreck, we got a lot less bottom time than we wanted due to the size of our group. This time I had the luxury of time and a very small group, with Dive BVI out of the Spanish Town Harbour on Virgin Gorda. We got there early too, before the other bigger boats arrived, so we could meander around without interference. Dive BVI is an excellent small group outfit, akin to my favorite St. Thomas dive shop Blue Island Divers. Nothing can substitute for the care and attention you get with a great small dive outfit, I love them.
********
The RMS Rhone was a British mail courrier with cruise passengers on board as well. See the link below for more detailed history, but suffice to say it went down near Salt Island in a hurricane, killing most of the passengers & crew on board. It's been underwater just long enough to develop extensive coral, but not long enough to crumble away yet.
Ther are two main sections for the dive, so this is done as a 2-tank dive, first the deeper bow section at 80 ft., then the shallower stern section at 20-60 ft. The bow has a great wide swim-through for divers with little experience in wreck dives (like myself), and the stern is split open, virtually filleted, for slow perusal of the details like portholes & a tile dance floor.
FYI, the attached photos are from my first Rhone dive, since I didn't take any on this recent excursion, and the ones with the best color (ie. all but the last one) were done by Chris Sawyer's professional underwater photographer Staci Reed, who accompanied us on the trip.

Comments